PDA

View Full Version : Caldera Cone Review

Hooch
01-14-2008, 16:37
I saw a Caldera Cone for the first time in Hot Springs last April and was impressed. Pretty slick idea, I thought and made my mind up to get one. First I tried my hand at making my own alcohol stove setup, which was, at best, met with very limited success. I put off buying one for months and finally decided to break down and get it. I called AntiGravity Gear to check that the Cone to fit my pot (MSR Titan Kettle) was in stock and ordered up. I ordered late Thursday and got my Cone today. Of course, the first thing I wanted to do after I got my grubby little hands on this thing, especially on a nice cold day like today, was fire it up for a test burn. So I did and here's how. I put 2 cups (16 oz) of cold water in the Titan Kettle with the lid on. I then put it on the back porch where the outside temperature is about 27* fahrenheit and left it there for a couple hours. After picking my son up from school and getting him settled in, I went out back and put 30 ml of denatured alcohol in the stove, lit it and let it warm. I then added the Cone and Titan Kettle with the aformentioned water in it. I had really cold water at a full boil in about 7 minutes. I was thoroughly impressed. I don't have a scale or fancy thermometer, but this has dropped the weight of my stove/cooking setup significantly and boils water like nobody's business. Definitely a big thumbs up piece of gear! I have to thank Marta for introducing me to the Cone and Matthew at AntiGravity Gear for getting it to me in short order with plenty of great communication. The guys at AGG take their customer service very seriously and are doggone good at it. I would definitely recommend the Caldera Cone to anyone looking for a great alcohol stove setup!

Marta
01-14-2008, 16:47
Glad to hear the first test was a success!

Wilson
01-14-2008, 16:49
Whats the basic design/principle that makes this CONE more effective than a regular windscreen?....I've never seen one or a pic of one. I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 16:56
I think what makes it more effective is that the top of the windscreen also doubles as the pot stand, so it holds in heat from the top better that might normally be lost, and therefore wasted. Whatever it is, it works and is definitely worth the money I paid for it. Kick a$$ piece of gear! :D

Cannibal
01-14-2008, 16:58
Whats the basic design/principle that makes this CONE more effective than a regular windscreen?....I've never seen one or a pic of one. I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Here (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Trail%20Designs%20Caldera%20Cone%20Stove%20System/) are a couple of reviews with pics

Marta
01-14-2008, 17:00
Wilson--Click on the "1" next to "Images" in the heading of my posts. That will take you to a picture of two Cones standing next to their stoves. The Cone with heat discoloration is their older model; the other one is a new model.

Marta
01-14-2008, 17:00
Cannibal beat me to it.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 17:01
And here is more info from Trail Designs (http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera), the nice folks who make the Cone and AntiGravity Gear (http://antigravitygear.com/cald_cone.php), the nice folks who sold it to me. :D

Wilson
01-14-2008, 17:03
Thanks a lot... I'm wanting to build a combo windscreen-pot stand.
I like this better than what I've seen so far.

BR360
01-14-2008, 17:03
Thanks for the report. That much heat transfer is impressive. Seems like a lot of heat is wasted up the sides of a pot/pan in a regular configuration. The Caldera seems like a great way to "save" that otherwise wasted heat.
I'll have to consider this further to replace my homemade SuperCat can stove.

Hooch
01-14-2008, 17:25
Thanks for the report. That much heat transfer is impressive. Seems like a lot of heat is wasted up the sides of a pot/pan in a regular configuration. The Caldera seems like a great way to "save" that otherwise wasted heat.
I'll have to consider this further to replace my homemade SuperCat can stove.Glad I could help. I think the Cone is awesome! It's definitely worth the $35 I paid for it. For anyone who is coming to SoRuck and wants to check it out, I'll have it with me. Doc wants to check it out, so I'll bring it along. :D

take-a-knee
01-14-2008, 21:21
That thing rocks if you can figure out how to pack it. It is an inch too long to fit behind the framesheet on my Vapor Trail. The best I've found so far is a 24oz gatorade bottle (the tall twist top) cut off a little longer than the cone.

Marta
01-14-2008, 21:24
On my most recent trips with it, I curled it up in the styrofoam cup it came in, then jammed the open end of that into the Titan kettle. It's a tight fit, but it will go. Inside the cup/Cone/kettle go the stove, matches, and various other little items.

generoll
01-14-2008, 21:47
As an alcohol stove it's great. Packing the cone can be a PITA and it has to be sized to a specific pot. I use the little kit I bought at Trail Days which came with the WalMart grease pot. Zelph has some instructions on making your own cone if you can understand them.

Marta
01-14-2008, 21:51
As an alcohol stove it's great. Packing the cone can be a PITA and it has to be sized to a specific pot. I use the little kit I bought at Trail Days which came with the WalMart grease pot. Zelph has some instructions on making your own cone if you can understand them.

OT--My cute new toy stove, the Svea, is broken. :( The valve stopped working. The stove couldn't be shut off. I had to let the stove run out of fuel.

I'm mailing it back for repair/replacement.

Gotta love the simplicity of alcohol stoves!

generoll
01-14-2008, 22:03
New toy? The Svea 123? there's a site that has rebuild kits. http://www.packstoves.com/

thecaptain
01-14-2008, 23:02
I have one of these and I love it...for all the previous stated reasons and another important one (at least to me) Stability with the caldera cone the balancing act of pot and stove is over.....

Hooch
01-15-2008, 06:49
On my most recent trips with it, I curled it up in the styrofoam cup it came in, then jammed the open end of that into the Titan kettle. It's a tight fit, but it will go. Inside the cup/Cone/kettle go the stove, matches, and various other little items.That's about how I packed mine when I put it away after the test burn. I just rolled up the cone, put one end down in the plastic cup, added the fuel measuring cup, fuel bottle, alcohol stove and my potholder (an old piece of PackTowl), the put my Titan Kettle on it and put it all in a silnylon bag, including a lighter and the Titan Kettle lid. It all went in easily and seems to stay together well thus far. :D

Roots
01-15-2008, 08:43
Hey Hooch, didn't you say you were going to bring your new toy to the ruck. You and Marta got Gungho and I to thinking about it.:-?

Hooch
01-15-2008, 08:59
Hey Hooch, didn't you say you were going to bring your new toy to the ruck. You and Marta got Gungho and I to thinking about it.:-?Yup, I sho' am. My hiking partner, gldwings1 (Doc) wants to check it out to see if he likes it. We'll both be there around 11 or so Friday morn if all goes according to plan, making a side trip in to Sylva and Cullohee before registration starts.

Roots
01-15-2008, 09:34
COOL!!! See ya there!!:)

Hooch
01-15-2008, 09:39
COOL!!! See ya there!!:)You can count on it, looking forward to meeting you both. :banana

take-a-knee
01-15-2008, 10:34
OT--My cute new toy stove, the Svea, is broken. :( The valve stopped working. The stove couldn't be shut off. I had to let the stove run out of fuel.

I'm mailing it back for repair/replacement.

Gotta love the simplicity of alcohol stoves!

They must not make 'em like they used to, my SVEA is still going strong after 32 years.

Skidsteer
01-15-2008, 18:55
They must not make 'em like they used to, my SVEA is still going strong after 32 years.

Marta boiled at least 33 years worth of water New Year's eve on Springer.

Reliable sources tell me that clouds of steam could be seen from Amicalola.

Marta
01-15-2008, 21:08
Marta boiled at least 33 years worth of water New Year's eve on Springer.

Reliable sources tell me that clouds of steam could be seen from Amicalola.

I don't think it was boiling the water, I think it was frying that pound of bacon that did it in.:D

Philippe
01-21-2008, 21:08
I'm with Take-a-knee. I bought my Svea 123 in July 1976, and it's never failed to answer the call. I'll be using it on the 2008 thru-hike.

oops56
01-21-2008, 21:15
Yep just like matches then just keep on working:)

gungho
02-06-2008, 19:51
we'll root and myself finally broke down and bought the caldera cone for our snow peak 700l mug. It arrived today:banana:bananaSo,of course I had to run down the road and buy some denatured alcohol and start playing. I put a cup of water in the pot and poured 15ml into the stove. The flame burned for about 5 minutes. The water was hot enough to make a cup of hot chocolate. Let the gear tests begin:)

I think this was definietly a good investment(another successful conversion) thanks to Tin-Man and Hooch for the demos at Soruck.

Smile
02-06-2008, 21:56
Smart move :)
Good stove to have!

take-a-knee
02-06-2008, 23:50
we'll root and myself finally broke down and bought the caldera cone for our snow peak 700l mug. It arrived today:banana:bananaSo,of course I had to run down the road and buy some denatured alcohol and start playing. I put a cup of water in the pot and poured 15ml into the stove. The flame burned for about 5 minutes. The water was hot enough to make a cup of hot chocolate. Let the gear tests begin:)

I think this was definietly a good investment(another successful conversion) thanks to Tin-Man and Hooch for the demos at Soruck.

Mine will do a rolling boil of 16oz(tap water) with 15ml/HEET. I get champange bubbles with water from the fridge.

gungho
02-06-2008, 23:54
Mine will do a rolling boil of 16oz(tap water) with 15ml/HEET. I get champange bubbles with water from the fridge.

I was wondering if I could use Heet?? It suggests only using denatured alcohol. What is the difference?? I am a newly converted alcohol stove user. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:)

take-a-knee
02-07-2008, 00:03
I was wondering if I could use Heet?? It suggests only using denatured alcohol. What is the difference?? I am a newly converted alcohol stove user. Any input would be greatly appreciated.:)

HEET in the yellow bottle, it is methanol. I like it because it comes in a conveinient size, it is hermetically sealed until opened and has an indefinete shelf life. If you buy a quart of alcohol a Lowes and don't get the lid back on really tight the alcohol will absorb humidity from the air and slowly degrade your stove's performance. Any alcohol is hydrophillic (water-loving). I think grain alcohol (ethanol) has the most BTU's per ounce but the sin tax makes it too expensive to use.

gungho
02-07-2008, 00:10
HEET in the yellow bottle, it is methanol. I like it because it comes in a conveinient size, it is hermetically sealed until opened and has an indefinete shelf life. If you buy a quart of alcohol a Lowes and don't get the lid back on really tight the alcohol will absorb humidity from the air and slowly degrade your stove's performance. Any alcohol is hydrophillic (water-loving). I think grain alcohol (ethanol) has the most BTU's per ounce but the sin tax makes it too expensive to use.
Thanks for the clarification,I will definetly have to try using HEET as well.

take-a-knee
02-07-2008, 00:16
Thanks for the clarification,I will definetly have to try using HEET as well.

This is the time of the year to start looking for it on sale at Wallyworld or wherever. I bought several cases last year half-off. The red bottle isn't worth buying, except in an emergency.

Smile
02-07-2008, 01:22
I ordered one tonight - customer service second to none! :)

Hooch
02-07-2008, 01:26
......thanks to Tin-Man and Hooch for the demos at Soruck.Anytime, GungHo. I was glad to help. I'm glad you guys like yours as much as I like mine. It's a great stove, definitely a good purchase if you ask me. If I sell a few more, I wonder if Tin Man will give me a job at AGG. :rolleyes:

Hooch
02-26-2008, 11:51
I've recieved a few PM's now on how to package a Caldera Cone. I've told each person how I package mine to carry, but ultimately what matters is, obviously, what works for them. That said, I thought I'd post a few pics here of how I package mine to give a visual guide. Pleae be patient with me, as this is my first attempt at inserting pics directly in a post, so these pics are also in my gallery if I goof. Also, if anyone wants to reference them at some point down the line after this thread is long dead and gone, there they are. :D

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22436&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22435&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22434&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22433&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22432&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22431&catid=member&imageuser=12238

http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22430&catid=member&imageuser=12238

Hooch
02-26-2008, 11:53
Ok, that worked about as well as eating soup with a fork. Sorry. :( Anyway the pics are in my gallery. :D

Hooch
02-26-2008, 12:11
By the way, if anyone can offer advice on how to insert a photo directly into the text of a post, it would be greatly appreciated! Just PM me. :D

gungho
02-26-2008, 14:29
Hooch,

I took a look at the pictures in your gallery. I package mine basically the same way. Although, It was due to a few trial and error tests,the problem I kept encountering was my caldera cone was getting crushed,so I had to find a way to protect it better. So, when rolled up,the bigger end fits snuggly down in my snow peak mug,then I put the stove,spoon,lighter,etc into the mug,then the plastic cup fits snuggly over the caldera cone and secures into the mug. Then I slip it into the web netting that came with my snow peak. I tested it out on my trip on the coosa backcountry trail and it worked great.

gungho
02-27-2008, 05:38
I am also curious, Do you carry your fuel bottle seperate from the rest of the system?? I have opted to carry the fuel in one my mesh pockets outside of my pack.

Hooch
02-27-2008, 07:16
I am also curious, Do you carry your fuel bottle seperate from the rest of the system?? I have opted to carry the fuel in one my mesh pockets outside of my pack.Nope, I keep it all together in one tidy little package. It's all about organization, my friend. :D

Hooch
02-27-2008, 07:18
Oh, if anyone has a Caldera Cone and wants a silnylon stuff sack for it, PM me and I'd be happy to make you one, free of charge. :D All I need is a couple measurements and I'll have it done in a few minutes.

10-K
02-27-2008, 10:52
FWIW, I'm getting ready to go on a hike with a caldera cone and I'm going to use esbit tabs. Boil time is comparable to alcohol and I like the tabs better.

I'm packed and ready to go (waiting on a winter storm in the smokies to die down..) and the caldera cone is going to travel rolled up in my foam sleeping pad.

RadioFreq
02-27-2008, 12:47
I am also curious, Do you carry your fuel bottle seperate from the rest of the system?? I have opted to carry the fuel in one my mesh pockets outside of my pack.

I, too, carry my fuel bottle in the mesh section of my backpack separate from the rest of the system. I also have Mr. Yuk stickers on it.

As for transporting the cone itself I open it up flat and place it against my back on the inside of my pack. The rest of my gear holds it in place. I did this because I was worried about it getting accidently crushed. I've done it this way for a couple of summers now and it still holds its shape. My stove, fuel measuring cup and matches all fit in my pot.

One thing you might want to add to your system: Cut out a piece of thin cardboard the diameter of the bottom of your cone. Glue aluminum foil to one side, shiny side out. This has two benefits....it reflects more heat toward the bottom of your pot and it protects the surface of whatever you are cooking on. (For you gram weinies out there this device has added a grand total of .375 oz to my pack weight.)

gungho
02-28-2008, 02:21
IMO< their is no right or wrong way? Whatever works best for you:-?

Hooch
02-28-2008, 05:35
IMO< their is no right or wrong way? Whatever works best for you:-?Exactly! As long as it works for the person who carries the Cone, that's all that matters.

.......One thing you might want to add to your system: Cut out a piece of thin cardboard the diameter of the bottom of your cone. Glue aluminum foil to one side, shiny side out. This has two benefits....it reflects more heat toward the bottom of your pot and it protects the surface of whatever you are cooking on. (For you gram weinies out there this device has added a grand total of .375 oz to my pack weight.)Sweet idea. One of those "D'oh, why didn't I think of that?" moments. Doc and I are planning a 3 day trip in western NC the weekend of 3/14 and I have a trip coming up to Red River Gorge here in Kentucky the last weekend of March, so I'll have to give that a go. Thanks for the idea!

gungho
02-28-2008, 14:44
Nope, I keep it all together in one tidy little package. It's all about organization, my friend. :D

I know,but I am concerned about leakage?? But maybe I am just being paranoid. Because,I used the fuel bottle that came with the caldera system on a recent trip and when I got back from my trip,some of the alcohol had leaked out of the bottle, Luckily I had it in a ziplock bag.

Hooch
02-28-2008, 14:46
I know,but I am concerned about leakage?? But maybe I am just being paranoid. Because,I used the fuel bottle that came with the caldera system on a recent trip and when I got back from my trip,some of the alcohol had leaked out of the bottle, Luckily I had it in a ziplock bag.I've had no leakage issues thus far. Doc and I are taking a trip the weekend of 3/14 and I'm going to Red River Gorge here in Kentucky the last weekend in March, so I'll have a couple good field tests to see. I will definitely add a Ziplock to it though.

gungho
02-28-2008, 14:48
I've had no leakage issues thus far. Doc and I are taking a trip the weekend of 3/14 and I'm going to Red River Gorge here in Kentucky the last weekend in March, so I'll have a couple good field tests to see. I will definitely add a Ziplock to it though.

Cool,let me know how it goes:)

Hooch
02-28-2008, 14:50
Cool,let me know how it goes:)Wilco. :D

oldfivetango
03-08-2008, 09:56
Do you have to use their little stove that comes with
it or can you use one you already have?
Does their stove actually simmer?
I have to have simmer capability!
Oldfivetango

Skidsteer
03-08-2008, 11:31
Do you have to use their little stove that comes with
it or can you use one you already have?

No but you should use one with a comparable height and heat output.

Does their stove actually simmer?
I have to have simmer capability!
Oldfivetango

No.

It's essentially a Kitten stove.

About the only thing you can try is to take the lid off your pot.

10-K
03-08-2008, 12:24
I took my Caldera Cone out this week and while it performed as advertised I won't be using it anymore.

First off, no matter how hard I tried I could not keep it from getting bent out of shape - which is no big deal except that mine kept getting bent at the point where it slides together and I had to fiddle with it every time to get it to work.

Secondly, and more serious was that I cut myself trying to push the sides together (yes, I was doing it the correct way). It just slipped between my fingers.

Overall, it bordered on being a PITA - but it did work as claimed. I was using esbit tabs and water was at a rolling boil within 5-6 minutes.

Dances with Mice
03-08-2008, 12:51
It's essentially a Kitten stove.If they made just a few design improvements it would be identical.

I haven't tried it, because I haven't needed to, but I believe you could close off the middle opening of a burning, warmed-up cat/kitten/caldera style stove and achieve a simmer. I've seen designs that purport to achive simmering by choking down the air holes but that's not easy to do while the stove is burning. A flat aluminum plate like the bottom of a cat food can with a smaller opening, or a series of punched holes, slid over the top of the stove might do it, or even a solid plate slid partly over the opening.

I'll bet once the stove is heated and burning well, closing off the middle opening entirely might result in flames coming out the exterior can holes, Super Cat style. I wouldn't bet a lot, ok, but it seems reasonable. That might be a way to achieve a simmer.

gungho
03-08-2008, 13:35
[quote=10-K;561928]I took my Caldera Cone out this week and while it performed as advertised I won't be using it anymore.

First off, no matter how hard I tried I could not keep it from getting bent out of shape - which is no big deal except that mine kept getting bent at the point where it slides together and I had to fiddle with it every time to get it to work.

I had the same problem too at first,but after a few trial runs I figured out how to pack it,so it will be protected. What kind of pot are you using?? Maybe someone with a similar pot can give you some suggestions:-?

oldfivetango
03-08-2008, 14:44
One thing I dont "get" is whats the difference in using
the Caldera Cone vs just tightening up the windscreen
I already have?

And,by the way,my Brasslite Turbo IID is a simmering fool!!:D
Oldfivetango

Skidsteer
03-08-2008, 15:31
I already have?

Absolutely none that I am yet convinced of. I'm keeping an open mind, however.

It is a very nice, stable way to cook though, no doubt about it.

I've been testing a Pyramid windscreen (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33570)lately. So far I'm pleased with it but I don't really see a marked difference in performance over a traditional screen. I think I'll keep using it as part of my kit because it packs up very neat and compact in my system (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21381).

I guess it comes down to what you compare it to. Versus the Supercats, Penny stoves, and Pepsi stoves that many use, I'm sure the Caldera does a more effecient job with less alcohol particularly in very windy conditions.

And,by the way,my Brasslite Turbo IID is a simmering fool!!:D
Oldfivetango

If you have the skill to simmer with the Brasslite Turbo IID without burning fingers, then you could easily do the same with the Caldera stove by making a choke band to fit it. It would work the same way.

gungho
03-08-2008, 17:23
, I'm sure the Caldera does a more effecient job with less alcohol particularly in very windy conditions.

The caldera cone system definietly worked well for me the morning on the CBT. I would think that would be classified as a windy condition:-?

take-a-knee
03-08-2008, 19:20
[quote=10-K;561928]I took my Caldera Cone out this week and while it performed as advertised I won't be using it anymore.

I had the same problem too at first,but after a few trial runs I figured out how to pack it,so it will be protected. What kind of pot are you using?? Maybe someone with a similar pot can give you some suggestions:-?

I'm almost in the same boat with mine, I tried the foam pad thing, that was a failure, I tried it between my pack's framesheet and the pack, no-go. I've got it packed now inside a cut off 24 oz gatorade bottle, and I'm going to try Hooch's method next. I've tried mine on a really windy day in the backyard and it seemed just about impervious to a really brisk wind.

gungho
03-08-2008, 19:33
I'm almost in the same boat with mine, I tried the foam pad thing, that was a failure, I tried it between my pack's framesheet and the pack, no-go. I've got it packed now inside a cut off 24 oz gatorade bottle, and I'm going to try Hooch's method next. I've tried mine on a really windy day in the backyard and it seemed just about impervious to a really brisk wind.

My method is very similar,when the cone is rolled up the top fits in the 16oz cup it was shipped in and the bottom fits snuggly into my 700ml snow peak mug

Skidsteer
03-08-2008, 19:43
The caldera cone system definietly worked well for me the morning on the CBT. I would think that would be classified as a windy condition:-?

It certainly qualified as windy! :)

But that's my point, really. All four of us were using alcohol setups that weekend. All of us had hot food/drinks whenever we wanted with no worries.

What we should have done is lined up your Caldera side to side with Dances' Kitten stove/wind screen kit and Two Speed's Trangia and measured fuel usage. I really doubt there was much difference except in cost, system weight and convenience of packing the kit.

I imagine I used less fuel than any of you when it comes down to it. ;)

springerfever
10-26-2009, 20:35
I ordered a Caldera cone setup today from http://www.antigravitygear.com/ for my MSR Titan Kettle. I had a couple of questions and called their number to talk about my particular needs. A fellow named George answered the phone and went over ALL of my questions and offered numerous tips/solutions to my kit.

Great customer service and we spent a good 15-20 minutes discussing options and some of his new products. Highly recommended and looking forward to using this super-efficient setup......Thanks, George !!

unclemjm
10-27-2009, 12:57
I love mine!

Hooch
10-27-2009, 13:36
........ A fellow named George answered the phone.......That's AGG's owner, George "Tin Man" Andrews. Great guy who owns a great company. I do business with AGG as often as I can for gear needs.

Jester2000
10-27-2009, 16:35
We have the Caldera Cone in our store, and it's a pretty nice design. For those reading previous posts about how to pack it, it comes in a plastic caddy that holds pretty much everything and doubles as a cup, and protects the stove while it's rolled up.

For those of you who want one that is compatible with the Titan Kettle, you may want to check out the Trail Designs website -- the Cone they make for the Titan Kettle is compatible with the newer version of that pot, which has a slightly different circumference than the old version (there are a few alerts posted on other pots as well, so this may be the case with other sized Caldera Cones).

FWIW, I'm getting ready to go on a hike with a caldera cone and I'm going to use esbit tabs. . .

For whatever reason, they don't recommend using solid fuel tabs with the stove.

I already have? . . .

I think one of the nice things about the design is that because the wind screen holds the pot at its lip (instead of just surrounding it), heat from the stove surrounds the entire surface of the pot, not just the bottom.

Great customer service and we spent a good 15-20 minutes discussing options and some of his new products. Highly recommended and looking forward to using this super-efficient setup......Thanks, George !!

They're a great company!

Hooch
10-27-2009, 16:47
My Caldera Keg and I along with my girlfriend Dancer will be hiking from Pen-Mar starting next Tuesday and heading to Harpers Ferry. Looking forward to it. Hope to stop in at the Outfitter to say hi, Jester.

FWIW, the nice folks at Trail Designs have come up with an Esbit-fueled Caldera Keg system that is sold exculsively by Gossamer Gear (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Caldera_Keg-GVP.html). I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but then again, I've never used Esbit. It looks interesting and I hope someone will give it a whirl and post a product review.

Procras108r
10-27-2009, 16:54
This was posted in another thread some time ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerP7-aiEBw

A simple method to make your own caldera cone to fit your individual cooking system

PS: Since some ambient heat remains in the cone after the fuel burns out, it can also keep your pot warmer just a 'bit' longer.

PPS: I wonder if you could create a 'slightly' taller cone to accomodate you pot at different heights.....boil, simmer, etc. This may be out of the question because then the cone would be a space eater in your pack.

Hooch
10-27-2009, 16:59
.......I wonder if you could create a 'slightly' taller cone to accomodate you pot at different heights.....boil, simmer, etc. This may be out of the question because then the cone would be a space eater in your pack.Idon't see why not. As for space, one could always pack it flat instead of rolling it up.

Franco
10-27-2009, 18:31
"I wonder if you could create a 'slightly' taller cone to accomodate you pot at different heights"
Keeping in mind that the cone holds the pot at the rim, it cannot be taller than it is.
To reduce the heat you can put a collar around the holes of the stove so as to reduce the output (by restricting oxygen intake) or use a different stove like a simple tea light. I have experimented with candles and that works if all you do is re-hydrate the food in your pot. (bring the water to boil, add your food, keep the same stove till you run out of fuel (work on an extra 2-3 min of that) and then put the candle under it)
BTW a nine hour candle gives about a ...nine hour burn time.
Franco

Procras108r
10-27-2009, 18:42
Poorly worded on my part Franco. I was thinking instead of the cone holding the pot by the pot's rim, I wonder if you could create a column that had a slot for your pot's handle to provide support. This slot could be like a set of stairs to provide differnt levels of heat exposure. In this manner, you would not have to lift the entire system to adjust the vents on your stove.

Of course, how does one support the weight of the pot opposite the side with the handle?

Franco
10-27-2009, 20:32
Oh... there already is another way...
Silly of me , that is what I was planning to do myself today with another cone..
AGG now sells a shorter version that fits inside certain pots. To hold the pot up(and this is the bit...) you use tent pegs.
See my picture of the standard cone for the 550ml pot. Next to it there is the shorter cone holding a 1.3L pot.
Now if you make some holes into the standard cone at the appropriate height you can then lift the pot and slide the pegs in .
Not sure if this is clear ..
What I was meant to do this morning was to go and find some eyelets (small grommets) to pop into the shorter cone (the 1.3L version) so that I can use my gas stove in it . I can use it inside the smaller cone as it is. I want to use eyelets to make it easier to slide the pegs in it and re-enforce the area. In my pic the "pegs" are pieces of coat hanger wire..
BTW that remote canister stove is 105g (3.7oz)
Franco

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/The-war-of-the-cones.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/CC-gas-conversion.jpg

Connie
01-02-2010, 19:44
I have the same idea to use a different stove.

I already have the Gossamer Gear Caldera Keg - GVP Stove System with the aluminum Caldera Cone.

I have just received Zelph's Super Stove (http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-SUPER-STOVE-alcohol-meths_W0QQitemZ250552469468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a561747dc) for alcohol and Zelph's Super Stove for white gas.

I think I will use Ti-Goat titanium foil (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html). The titanium might work with a white gas stove; it will certainly work with a "twiggy fire".

I found another calculator (http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/models/laskekartio.html) for working out the dimensions. His program allows you to change any variable you like, as well.

1. stove height
2. height of pot above stove
3. pot diameter and pot depth
4. diameter of base

not in that order.

These are the important variables, as far as I am concerned.

I also saw a convenient method here at WhiteBlaze forum to determine optimum pot height above your model stove: bring water to a rolling boil in your pot on your stove, then, lift higher until rolling boiling stops, then, lower until rolling boil returns and that is your optimum pot height.

This (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27385) thread at BPL shows the "cut-outs" this person made for his.

The foil cuts with a hobby paper punch and/or scissors.

I think I will have my openings at the bottom on only one side so I can keep out stronger breezes. I have also seen a photo showing using shepherd's hook tent pins to hold the Caldera Cone down.

If my custom Caldera Ti-Tri (http://traildesigns.com/caldera-tt.html) is satisfactory, I will ask for him (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/[email protected]) to make a "special request" for me.

The joint is superior, I feel. I also like to reward the man with the concept.

Speakeasy TN
07-02-2010, 09:07
Add me to the list of fans! I have the alcohol stove that comes with the kit and the gram cracker esbit stove and love them both! My only question is do I trust myself not to spill the liquid????? The esbit tabs may be a better fit for me. Any ideas about one over the other?

couscous
07-02-2010, 09:30
Add me to the list of fans! I have the alcohol stove that comes with the kit and the gram cracker esbit stove and love them both! My only question is do I trust myself not to spill the liquid????? The esbit tabs may be a better fit for me. Any ideas about one over the other?

I've been using a Pringles can for a couple years .. roll the caldera cone up and slide it into the can, the flip-top alcohol bottle fits inside (AntiGravityGear Fuel Bottle - 4 oz. Blue), the stove sits upside down on the top, and I slide a newspaper delivery bag over the top to keep the stove in place.

10-K
07-02-2010, 09:40
A few months ago I bought another Caldera Cone w/ 1.3 liter pot and the plastic caddy from another WB user.

I took it with me on my long hike this past month and it worked great. I used esbit - often as not just lighting the esbit on a rock that was within 2" of the bottom of my pot.

It worked great, plus I was able to keep the esbit, lighter, spoon, etc in the caddy with the caldera cone which allowed me to mash a full loaf of bread into my 1.3 liter pot. What's not to love about that?

Liv2Ride
07-02-2010, 10:23
A few months ago I bought another Caldera Cone w/ 1.3 liter pot and the plastic caddy from another WB user.

I took it with me on my long hike this past month and it worked great. I used esbit - often as not just lighting the esbit on a rock that was within 2" of the bottom of my pot.

It worked great, plus I was able to keep the esbit, lighter, spoon, etc in the caddy with the caldera cone which allowed me to mash a full loaf of bread into my 1.3 liter pot. What's not to love about that?

You're experience sounds like mine. I bought one from a nice WB member last month and took it out on a 3 day hike using esbit and it worked flawlessly. The alky stove that comes with the system is extremely efficient compared to any alcohol stove that I've used in the past but I still went with esbit. I used the bottom of my useless Vargo Triad stove as the base for the cubes and it worked beautifully. I'm glad that I never threw the triad stove away. It finally earned its keep. The only complaint though minor that I have with the cone is the bendy factor. It's so thin that the top bends and gets rippled up easily. After just 3 days of normal use it looks as though I've used the whole kit (including the cup cozies) for at least a year. Anyway, I really like my Caldera system. Not necessarily more than my Snow Peak canister system but it's right up there in my book as a keeper.

Grinder
07-02-2010, 14:47
you can make your own caldera clone
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/22357/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/7/sp/

I have no idea how to get that program to work.

So I found this manual method here
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7145

I have made a pattern, but haven't found material for the real thing yet.

moytoy
07-03-2010, 09:58
you can make your own caldera clone
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/22357/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/7/sp/

I have no idea how to get that program to work.

So I found this manual method here
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7145

I have made a pattern, but haven't found material for the real thing yet.

I used aluminum flashing that I found at Lowes, enough to make several different styles. I didn't mind buying a roll because it's good for lots of fab projects.

Grinder
07-03-2010, 14:21
moytoy
How does the aluminum flashing hold up??
The genuine Caldera Cones are made of stainless steel. I'm kind of afraid of the aluminum collapsing with the higher heat achieved.

I made some 8g stoves (skidsteer et al) which started to sag under the weight of the pot and 2 cups of water.

moytoy
07-04-2010, 09:31
moytoy
How does the aluminum flashing hold up??
The genuine Caldera Cones are made of stainless steel. I'm kind of afraid of the aluminum collapsing with the higher heat achieved.

I made some 8g at (skidsteer et al) which started to sag under the weight of the pot and 2 cups of water.

The quick answer it holds up well to the heat. When the cone has just been built and has never had heat on it, it is very springy but when heat is applied it starts taking a set. It does this at different speeds and thus when you first start useing it, it will seem to warp. But just keep heating it and it will get tempered and actully be pretty tuff.

moytoy
07-04-2010, 10:00
BTW Grinder. I used the same meathod you found on hammockforums to build my cone. I did end up cutting more slots at the top of the cone. It didn't seem to breath well enough with the holes. Also I didn't have a bender like the guy on u-tube so I made one on my table saw from wood. I cut two pieces of wood with a nice sharp coner and clamped them in a vise. Then started the bend with my thumbs and finished with a small hammer with light taps. The end result was a nice sharp 90 degree bend. From there I finished it with my hammer and a block of wood.

blitz1
03-07-2011, 07:02
I'm thinking about getting an alcy stove and found this thread - can anyone give an update on how happy they are with their calderas? It sounds like the main issue is with the cone durability. Has anyone finished a thru with one?
are people still using their cones, or gone back to more classic models?
Thanks!

Monkeywrench
03-07-2011, 07:46
I'm thinking about getting an alcy stove and found this thread - can anyone give an update on how happy they are with their calderas? It sounds like the main issue is with the cone durability. Has anyone finished a thru with one?
are people still using their cones, or gone back to more classic models?
Thanks!

I used a Caldera Cone for my entire thru in '09, and had no issues with it; in fact I still use it. I kept it, the stove, my spoon, and a book of matches in the plastic storage container that came with it. I also used the top of the storage container as my cup / bowl.

10-K
03-07-2011, 07:52
Works great. I used mine for 6 weeks (w/ esbit).

A bit bulky but one of the things I did like about it is that the wide base of the cone gives the pot a lot of stability. Using a canister I almost always spill at least one pot of water at some point. Never happened with the CC.

Razor
03-07-2011, 09:04
I used my first caldera for over 200 nights.The rig works in just about any conditions and I replaced it last year. The new one has a reinforced band on the cone and I expect it to last many more nights than the original. That would make a very satisfactory experience.

Roots
03-07-2011, 09:12
Works great!!! Mine has about 600+ miles on it and is still going. I carry the cone, stove, spoon, knife, lighter in the plastic case.

SunnyWalker
04-23-2011, 21:01
Yeah, the plastic caddy or case works great. Its not that bulky. I mean a PR and a Butane Cannister takes space also. The case is not that big in diameter and I think its real handy and easy to pack. IMHO.