PDA

View Full Version : Smokies in March

10-K
01-14-2008, 17:49
I'm planning a March hike and am considering the Smokies (Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap).

Start date is tenatively the 1st or 2nd week of March. What can I expect in the way of trail traffic during that time. I don't really want to hike in a crowd.

Thanks
Thomas

Lone Wolf
01-14-2008, 18:21
it shouldn't be too, too busy. just a trickle of thru-hikers will be goin' thru

Tennessee Viking
01-14-2008, 19:17
You will be in the middle of the early birds if start then. Most Nobos will just be starting then or middle of March.

Just go ahead and make your reservations just to grab a spot in the shelters.

e-doc
01-14-2008, 19:26
You won't see much traffic. You may see alot of snow though.

ScottP
01-14-2008, 20:25
Be open to the possibility of other trails in the smokies--there's a lot of good hiking there off the AT.

Chaco Taco
01-14-2008, 22:15
Did this hike last March 9th. Awesome hike. Weather was perfect. Met a few hikers along the way and caught up with a couple of thruhikers. Suggest doing The Boulevard as a side trail. Worth the extra day!!!

JF2CBR
01-14-2008, 22:18
I was in the Smokys the first week of March last year, beautiful weather, we even went swimming in some of the swimming holes (really cold water though). We didn't hike the AT but some of the other tails in the park, the more popular trails were crowded during the weekend we were there but the whole place was quiet during the week.

excuses
01-14-2008, 22:36
JF2CBR summed it up. crowded on weekends. the smokies are the most visited park. that is usually just around the roads and places like clingmans dome. trail use will start to increase then. mostly on the weekends only though. late march will be springbreak and easterbreak.

Blissful
01-14-2008, 22:40
March last year was unusual, though. We had 70 degree weather on Clingmans Dome. Not the norm. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Blissful
01-14-2008, 22:41
JF2CBR summed it up. crowded on weekends. the smokies are the most visited park. that is usually just around the roads and places like clingmans dome. trail use will start to increase then. mostly on the weekends only though. late march will be springbreak and easterbreak.

The road though is closed in March to Clingmans, so the crowds there are minimal. We had very few in March. Just a few hikers and cyclists that snuck in.

10-K
01-15-2008, 06:01
Thanks everyone. I'm going to shoot for March 1st with a 14 day window to adjust for any inclimate weather. I'll plan on 7 days and probably finish in 5.5/6.

One more question - is this section particularly dangerous for a solo hike? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Thanks,
Thomas

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 07:02
One more question - is this section particularly dangerous for a solo hike? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Thanks,
Thomas

no. not at all

10-K
01-15-2008, 07:06
Questions seem to breed more questions...

Is there a resupply point anywhere along the way or should I pack enough food for the entire trip?

I'm sure I'll think of something else. ;-)

Thanks,
Thomas

Hooch
01-15-2008, 07:15
If I'm not mistaken you have to carry enough food for the Smokies, unless you want to hitch into Gatlinburg from whereever you are and resupply there.

Marta
01-15-2008, 07:41
Unless you really want to hitch into Gatlinburg, you should pack enough food for the whole hike.

earlyriser26
01-15-2008, 07:45
I did this same hike years ago at the exact same time and recall 5 feet of snow and hiking with a flashlite until 9pm to get to camp. Don't count on good weather. You can get anything in early March.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 07:45
Is there a resupply point anywhere along the way or should I pack enough food for the entire trip?

hitching to and from gatlinburg is easy. good food, beer and cheap motels that time of year if you so desire.

MyFeetHurt
01-15-2008, 09:16
I started March 3 in 2006. I stayed in 2 shelters in the Smokies. The first was full, actually overflowing. There was a couple groups out besides us thru-hikers, and the weather was horrible, so people were crowded in. The second shelter only had 4 people, including me.

Good luck on your hike. I'm EXTREMELY jealous....

MyFeetHurt
01-15-2008, 09:18
I don't know about G'burg being an easy hitch out. It is certainly easy to get in as Newfound Gap is flat out packed with people usually. But I had the longest hitch of my hike trying to get out. G'burg is chock-full of tourists, and they ain't too keen on picking up hikers typically. I waited over an hour, and finally hitched a ride when the owners of the Happy Hiker were driving out....

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 09:23
i've hitched in and out of there a dozen times. never waited more than a half hour. must be the big beard and sexy legs :)

MyFeetHurt
01-15-2008, 09:32
You're probably right L Wolf. My beard wasn't that big yet, and my legs have never been sexy.....

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 09:46
The only possible kink to a Gatlinburg hitch is weather. If there is a recent snowfall, Newfound Gap Road gets closed until they can plow it, and if there is much snow (always possible in March), this can take a day or two, leaving you stranded. It's not super-likely, but likely enough to make carrying more food worthwhile.

10-K
01-15-2008, 11:13
I'll have a closer look at leaving the trail for resupply when the hike gets closer. If it's going to be on the warm side and I don't have to pack for an Artic expedition I'll be able to carry more food and be less likely to leave the trail. On the other hand, if it's going to be frigid I won't carry as much grub and I'll probably be happy to hop off the trail for an afternoon and snag a hot cup of coffee and a good meal around Gatlinburg.

BTW, I need to look into this further but my initial plan is to walk south from Davenport to Fontana, primarily because I understand vandalism is an issue at Davenport Gap whereas Fontana has good overnight parking.

Thanks
Thomas

Hooch
01-15-2008, 11:17
I'll have a closer look at leaving the trail for resupply when the hike gets closer. If it's going to be on the warm side and I don't have to pack for an Artic expedition I'll be able to carry more food and be less likely to leave the trail. On the other hand, if it's going to be frigid I won't carry as much grub and I'll probably be happy to hop off the trail for an afternoon and snag a hot cup of coffee and a good meal around Gatlinburg.

BTW, I need to look into this further but my initial plan is to walk south from Davenport to Fontana, primarily because I understand vandalism is an issue at Davenport Gap whereas Fontana has good overnight parking.

Thanks
ThomasCheck with Curtis at Standing Bear Farm. It's just off the I-40 overpass/Pigeon River.

Chaco Taco
01-15-2008, 15:35
Just pack your food and enjoy being in the Smokies. I did it last year and it was worth just going into the woods for a week with your gear and food and not coming out til you get to Standing Bear. Great hike!!!

envirodiver
01-15-2008, 15:48

Thanks
Thomas

Set up a food cache along the way if you don't want to carry a full weeks worth of food.

10-K
01-19-2008, 07:18
Ok... I'm ready to make shelter reservations and have a few more questions...

1. Looking at the elevation profiles it looks like hiking south to north is the way to go. Is there safe parking around Fontana for 6-7 days?

2. Looks like Hwy 441 going to Gatlinburg is the only road crossing/bail out point - is this correct?

3. About reserving shelters - is this a matter of pre-planning where you're going to stop every night? What happens if you don't make it to the shelter that you are supposed to stay in?

4. Crazy question but... if you've got to stay in a shelter is it enough to take a minimal shelter along? No sense hauling the whole tent along if you're not going to be using it...

5. Any idea about the water situation in the park?

I'm sure I'll think of something else in a bit. ;-)

Thanks
Thomas

wrightsphoto
01-19-2008, 08:14
You could get someone to bring you supplies to New Found Gap parking lot if you got low or needed something.
As everyone else stated that is a tourist spot on the weekends.
Better make shelter reservations, Ice water Springs shelter is usally full.

Hikes in Rain
01-19-2008, 10:32
Ok... I'm ready to make shelter reservations and have a few more questions...

1. Looking at the elevation profiles it looks like hiking south to north is the way to go. Is there safe parking around Fontana for 6-7 days?

The parking lot at the dam visitor's center is lighted, and I think pretty well patrolled. Certainly better than the little parking lot at the trail head. It'd be worth the little extra walk.

2. Looks like Hwy 441 going to Gatlinburg is the only road crossing/bail out point - is this correct?

Only road crossing, yes. Roads parallel the west side, including 321 and the road to Cades Cove. Lake Fontana kind of limits the options to the east. Trails lead down to them (eventually). Carry a map of the park, and you'll find a number of alternative ways down off the ridge, as well as nice alternative hikes.

3. About reserving shelters - is this a matter of pre-planning where you're going to stop every night? What happens if you don't make it to the shelter that you are supposed to stay in?

Pre-planning. Stories vary about missing nights and spending them in alternative shelters. I missed mine, asked a ranger I passed, and he said, "sure, no problem." That was in November, and really cold, so there weren't many other hikers. March might be a different story.

4. Crazy question but... if you've got to stay in a shelter is it enough to take a minimal shelter along? No sense hauling the whole tent along if you're not going to be using it...

Always a good idea, even if it's just a little tarp. You never can tell, shelter might be full of crashers who won't move, your shelter-mates might snore like me :(, you might get delayed and/or stranded. Boy scout motto, you know.

5. Any idea about the water situation in the park?

Dry. They've been getting some rain, but camel up wherever possible.

I'm sure I'll think of something else in a bit. ;-)

Not a problem; someone will be here. Have a great hike, post a trip report. I'm doing the northern section later this year, and I'd love to know what you found.

Thanks
Thomas

10-K
01-24-2008, 17:54
Ok - I tried to make shelter reservations today but they only take them up to 30 days in advance so I'll have to make 'em next week.

Here's the plan - if you've been through the Smokies I'd appreciate any comments on if this is workable...

Day 1 - Davenport Gap to Tri-Corner Knob (14.8 mi)
Day 2 - Tri-Corner Knob to Ice Water Spring (12.6 mi)
Day 3 - Ice Water Spring - Double Spring (13.8 mi)
Day 4 - Double Spring - Spence Field (13.5 mi)
Day 5 - Spence Field - Fontana Dam (16.7 mi)

Total: 71.4 mi / 5 days

I could do it in 4 but since I have to work around shelter locations this is the best I could do.....

Thanks
Thomas

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 17:58
yup it's doable. try to get an early start the first day

10-K
01-24-2008, 18:51
Thanks Wolf...

Kirby
01-24-2008, 22:01
If you start March 14th or later, there is a good chance you will see some thru hikers who start between the end of Feb. and early March.

Kirby

Chaco Taco
01-25-2008, 02:20
If you start March 14th or later, there is a good chance you will see some thru hikers who start between the end of Feb. and early March.

Kirby

When do you think you may be passin throught the Smokies? A couple of us are hiking March 28th Fontana-Standing Bear.

10-K
01-25-2008, 07:03
I'm looking at starting the end of February - I'd like to get through there before it gets too crowded - weather permitting.

Thanks,
Thomas

Chaco Taco
01-25-2008, 16:17
I'm looking at starting the end of February - I'd like to get through there before it gets too crowded - weather permitting.

Thanks,
Thomas

Good luck, its a great hike.

Joey
01-27-2008, 15:15
Thanks everyone. I'm going to shoot for March 1st with a 14 day window to adjust for any inclimate weather. I'll plan on 7 days and probably finish in 5.5/6.

Thanks,
Thomas
Hiked it alone a few times from Newfound to Fontana. Spence was busy on weekends with the locals but never had any problems. TriCorner area should be very quiet and wide open from hikers. Never had any problems with anyone. Sometimes enjoyed the company of others in the shelters.