PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands Area

Jerm
01-15-2008, 00:15
does anybody know what the spring is like at yellow mtn gap, where overmtn shelter is, aka the red barn, and the little creek just down from doll flats?

heading up there this weekend to hopefuly play in the snow and breath the cold air!!!!!!

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2008, 01:15
I heard a couple weeks ago of the springs flowing good. But with the weather dipping back down below freezing again, expect the springs to be barely flowing to icy. Highs are forcasted 30-40s through to the weekend, and lows in 10-20s.

There are two pipes at the barn, the lower one at the road tends to run better during droughts and winter.

Water will not be the hardship. It will be the wind. If a strong system comes in, crossing the balds will be cold, windchills likely to go below 0. Then coming down from Grassy Ridge to Stan Murray, then crossing in front of Hump will be interesting if the rocks and roots start to ice. Also be prepared if fog/low lying cloud cover rolls in.

If you are using Mountain Harbour, be sure to contact them for latest weather. I will also keep an eye out on the weather.

e-doc
01-15-2008, 10:52
It will be much colder this weekend, likely below zero. See

http://www.averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain

Ray Russell is unreal accurate in forecasting mountain weather. The hike down from Grassy will be icy if there has been alot of traffic. I have postholed to Stan Murray from Yellow Mt Gap in 2' of snow. Conditions could be VERY bad Saturday. Stay warm.

SloHiker
01-15-2008, 15:32
Between Carver's Gap and 19E there were 3 or 4 water sources running pretty strong this past weekend (Jan 12/13). The pipe at Overmountain was more than adequate.

karo
01-15-2008, 22:40
Anyone know about the spring behind the cabin at Roan High?

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2008, 23:17
I was up there before Christmas, and it was flowing. The pipe probably needs some adjusting but flowing. There was a stronger source to the side of it. Most of the trail up to Roan High Knob was wet. And the spring at Carvers Gap was flowing.

The road to the gardens is more than likely closed, and the restrooms locked. So no cheating until spring.

karo
01-16-2008, 16:17
I was up there before Christmas, and it was flowing. The pipe probably needs some adjusting but flowing. There was a stronger source to the side of it. Most of the trail up to Roan High Knob was wet. And the spring at Carvers Gap was flowing.

The road to the gardens is more than likely closed, and the restrooms locked. So no cheating until spring.
Thanks for the info!