PDA

View Full Version : What to Eat, Where to get, and How much?

Alilalien
01-15-2008, 02:41
:confused:I am still in the planning stage for a 2008 thru-hike starting March 15th. Not sure what to eat, where to get, and how much I should expect to spend any Ideas?:confused:

River Runner
01-15-2008, 02:59
Go to the articles section, look on the left side of the page and start reading the resupply articles.

Only you can decide what to eat. What you spend will depend on what you decide to eat. If you can stomach oatmeal and ramen you can spend very little. If you want more costly items, or eat in town a lot, you can spend quite a bit.

Thoughtful Owl
01-15-2008, 10:09
:confused:I am still in the planning stage for a 2008 thru-hike starting March 15th. Not sure what to eat, where to get, and how much I should expect to spend any Ideas?:confused:

Is this for real? And you are starting your thru when? You got to be kidding, right.:-?

MyFeetHurt
01-15-2008, 10:25
Don't worry if you aren't completely prepared when you set out. Any plans you make will change almost immediately anyway. I did hardly any preparation work, and I made it though with no problems. The hike is about the experience of it, and that includes the unexpected. There will be PLENTY of people to help you along the way.

Don't sweat it and have fun....

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 10:28

order this http://www.appalachianpages.com/ and you'll be fine

hopefulhiker
01-15-2008, 10:29
Look into the Appalachian pages offered here on WhiteBlaze, also you could get an old Wingfoot book or the Companion by the ATC. and they do have those Mapdanas too...
Good luck!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 10:30
Is this for real? And you are starting your thru when? You got to be kidding, right.:-?There have been a number of successful thru-hikers who didn't do a lot of pre-planning - GatorGump from 2007 is a prime example.

AliAlien, I would suggest you go read the article forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366) for suggestions about gear, food and clothing choices for a thru-hike. Also look in the Cooking & Food forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32) for info on what hikers typically eat.

Thoughtful Owl
01-15-2008, 11:22
There have been a number of successful thru-hikers who didn't do a lot of pre-planning - GatorGump from 2007 is a prime example.

AliAlien, I would suggest you go read the article forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366) for suggestions about gear, food and clothing choices for a thru-hike. Also look in the Cooking & Food forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32) for info on what hikers typically eat.

I understand that, but he almost sounds like he hasn't even been out on short backpacking trips. What to eat?

Blissful
01-15-2008, 11:31
There's lots of threads about whether to buy food on the trail or supplement with drops. Also there are threads about what people eat food-wise on the trail and about monetary expenses. We did a combination of dehydrating ahead of time and mail drop (esp for dinners) and bought along the way (mainly lunches). I believe good nutrition is paramount out there as your body is doing something it has never done before. Eating nutritious food means your body can repair damaged muscle tissue better (and it does get damaged) and you have more energy. You have a better chance of succeeding. Now you do have youth on your side, so that helps. But like a lot of things on a long distance hike, you learn as you go along. But definitely do research on this site, plenty of material to draw from, along with lots of opinions. Ultimately you do what you feel works for you. :)

Blissful
01-15-2008, 11:40
I understand that, but he almost sounds like he hasn't even been out on short backpacking trips. What to eat?

Lots of people have talked about this though. A search of topics on WB (under Search) can narrow it down and lead you to the right threads. He has also asked multiple questions. There's a wealth of info on WB for the choosing if you can take time to research.

yappy
01-15-2008, 11:46
don't be too concerned. You will learn as you go and change your mind about it anyhow. My appetite didn't really come into play until the smokies and by then I had it dialed pretty much. You will too. have a blast !

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 11:48
I understand that, but he almost sounds like he hasn't even been out on short backpacking trips. What to eat?It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT. It isn't like the AT is a particularly difficult trail technically nor is it very remote. It isn't like this person is planning to do the CDT or the PCT without prior experience.

Thoughtful Owl
01-15-2008, 12:06
It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT. It isn't like the AT is a particularly difficult trail technically nor is it very remote. It isn't like this person is planning to do the CDT or the PCT without prior experience.

Agreed, I will shut up!

A-Train
01-15-2008, 12:34
Every year people go out to Springer with little or no experience and "wing it" mostly learning along the way. Much of this learning process comes from pairing up or following others who did more planning.

So it's absolutely possible to go in cold and make it to Maine. However, you'd give yourself a much better chance if you spend the next 2 months asking questions on here and doing lotsa research. Definately try to get to one of the Rucks.

rafe
01-15-2008, 12:40
It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT.

And yet he seemed to think that setting his bare butt on the AT plaque at Springer was some sort of AT "tradition." :-?

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 12:41
And yet he seemed to think that setting his bare butt on the AT plaque at Springer was some sort of AT "tradition." :-?

he started a NEW tradition

A-Train
01-15-2008, 12:52

Feel bad for the SOBO's who kissed the sign:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2008, 12:54
Feel bad for the SOBO's who kissed the sign:)Many days of sunshine had cleansed the plaque of any cooties Gump left....

And I still feel the AT is doable by a total novice. It is a great first long-distance hike.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 13:00
And I still feel the AT is doable by a total novice. It is a great first long-distance hike.

i was a total novice my first AT hike. there was no internet, books or videos on how to do it. i had a data book and Philosopher's guide and maps. i did no planning, itinerary or mail drops except for more maps and gear. thru-hikng the AT is very easy logistically
wannabe thru-hikers totally overplan nowadays

Strategic
01-15-2008, 13:05
he started a NEW tradition

Apparently a tradition that involves the risk of your butt being stuck to a sign, much like a tongue on a cold metal pole...

But hey, it's no skin off my cheeks.:rolleyes:

Strategic
01-15-2008, 13:20
Alilalien,

If you're really looking for good food advice, try not only the pages here, but also the Freezer Bag Cooking (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/) site. It's a fine site by Sarah (Sarbar) and her husband Kirk with a lot of good trail recipes and ideas for food and cooking it. Don't be put off by the word "recipe" either. I'm a fairly dedicated cook, but I know many who are not who have used these successfully. It's basically a combination of dehydrated and trail bought food put together for maximum enjoyment, nutrition, and ease of cooking on the trail (essentially, pouring boiling water into a freezer bag or rehydrating about covers most of the cooking involved.) Even if you decide to go without maildrops (and many do) you can still use these techniques to make what you get in towns taste better out on the trail.

Hope this helps and good hiking!

-SEEKER-
01-15-2008, 18:33
I've heard a lot of good things about this food source: www.trailfoods.com (http://www.trailfoods.com) I'm going to give them a try this year.

turtle fast
01-15-2008, 18:58
MENOMONEE FALLS!!!!!! HEY NEIGHBOR....LITERALLY!!!

Food primarily will be store bought stuff. Many hikers will start with a carbohydrate base like Ramen, Mac & cheese, Lipton noodles, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, stuffing mix, spaghetti noodles, etc.....you then jazz it up with some type of protein like tuna from foil packages, salami, vienna sausages, spam, tofu, nuts, etc....then kick in some spices, maybe some dehydrated or freeze dried vegetables and volia a one pot meal. Buying the prepackaged stuff is expensive and normally a two person meal is really for one.

Were leaving Wisconsin mid March too!!!!!!

Lilred
01-15-2008, 19:03
The first time I hiked the AT was the first time I had a backpack on my back. Hiked one week, mostly alone, in Nov. from Neel's to Deep Gap NC. Everything I knew about backpacking I had read on this site, along with a couple of trail journals. If I can do it, anyone can.

I eat mostly Lipton pasta, rice dishes. Peanut butter and bagels are a staple. Oatmeal, energy bars, beef jerky, ramen noodles. I try to carry one piece of fruit, apple or orange, in case I hit a dry stretch. I've been without water and miserably hot twice, once I had to tough it out, the other time I had an apple. I've never had a better tasting apple.