PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Helium or Helium EQ?

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 03:37
I planned on buying this bag but was not sure which one to get. From my understanding, the EQ is just made out of a different material which is considered somewhat "waterproof". I'm debating whether I should dish out the extra money for the EQ or not. Its also 5oz heavier. Is it worth the extra weight? I plan on carrying this bag in the beginning of my thru-hike in 09.

By the way, I will be sleeping in a Hilleberg Atko (pretty sure, havent boughten it yet though). I have heard reports of them leaking threw after 5-6 hours on consistant downpour (hopefully I wont encounter any weather like that :rolleyes:). Thats why I'm sort of leaning towards the EQ because of its water resistant material. Or is the material of the regular Helium good enough?

Any help is appeciated. Thanks alot guys.

Matteroo
01-15-2008, 06:08
i debated long and hard about the waterproofness coating of sleeping bags. Most fancy ones by Marmot or WM or the likes are nylony/silky/etc so that drops of water will rolls off a bit anyways.
If that is the tent you are using, you need to test it before you go-because if it does leak-you will get wet-it will rain for more than 6 hours at some point. Why have a headache of questionable gear influencing decisions when it doesn't ever have to be that way in the first place. those hilleberg tents are $$ - get a tarptent-light-easy-waterproof.

I am one who-if I could spend $2000 on gear before a hike-I would-but it doesn't really make a big differences so long as everything functions and isn't too heavy. A 'pretty good and even semi-expensive' tent, pack, sleeping bag, etc-will be great on the trail and you'll see how much fun and how far people with much 'lesser' gear go, too.

my 2cents

conclusion: don't bother paying more for that waterproof coating/material bag unless you're like me and think you 'have to have the best'. its not as important as I like to think it is..

Almost There
01-15-2008, 11:55
I have the regular Helium and have slept in thunderstorms and heavy condensation fogs, it has shown to be solid against damp and wetness. I would just roll with the regular, you should be fine, but if you're worried then spring the money and carry the extra 5 ounces.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 13:16
Its not that the money is really an issue. I'm glad to hear that your regular Helium held up well. Its more of a weight issue with me. I kind of went heavy on my mess kit and stove so Im trying to cut the weight elsewhere which I planned on doing in my bag, ruck & tent. But than again, its only 5oz's. I just dont want to spend $300 dollars on a bag and than get it soaked and wish that I just carried the extra 5oz's and got the EQ.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 13:32
Also, do you think that the EQ will be any warmer because of the material? They both have the same temp ratings but I would imagine that the waterproof EQ will hold heat a little better? or am I wrong?

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2008, 21:04
The first thing I did with my Helium was stick it under the shower. The fabric is water repellant. Moisture's not a problem. If you are truly worried about it, go with synthetic, because it is difficult to dry out a soaked down bag without a dryer.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 22:16
I definetly do want a down bag. My only question is if its worth to get the EQ over the regular.

Also, does anyone know where I can get these at for a decent price. I dont really want to pay the full retail of $430 dollars. I have seen them on ebay consistently for the past few weeks and than the day I have the cash there are none on ebay lol.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 22:16
Appalachian tater... is your bag the regular helium or the EQ?

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2008, 22:29
Appalachian tater... is your bag the regular helium or the EQ?

Sorry, it's the regular. I wasn't prepared to pay the weight penalty for anything heavier.

You need to protect your stuff from getting wet anyway. You need a good shelter. You need to line your pack with a heavy-duty garbage bag. A light water-resistant stuffsack like the OR Hydrolite series isn't a bad idea for your sleeping bag. If you take reasonable measures, your bag won't get wet anyway. I saw one hiker with a wet bag on the trail but don't remember how it happened.

Chache
01-15-2008, 22:44
I didn't see it mentioned that the EQ is a full zipper and the other a half zip. Thats why they weigh different. I have the regular and love it

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2008, 22:47
I didn't see it mentioned that the EQ is a full zipper and the other a half zip. Thats why they weigh different. I have the regular and love it

My ONLY complaint about the Helium is the half-zipper.

Chache
01-15-2008, 22:58
My ONLY complaint about the Helium is the half-zipper.
I like the half zip. I almost always sleep with the zipper down and the top spread out like a blanket. The bottom keeps my legs and feet nice and toasty

Appalachian Tater
01-15-2008, 23:14
I like the half zip. I almost always sleep with the zipper down and the top spread out like a blanket. The bottom keeps my legs and feet nice and toasty I usually sleep hot. I would have preferred to keep my winter bag all the way through. I made the mistake of getting a bag that was too light in Harpers Ferry, since then I bought an Atom.

88BlueGT
01-16-2008, 01:02
Thanks for pointing that out about the half zip. I realized that a while ago but it doesnt really bother me. I would prefer a full zip but I dont think I would mind a half zip. I have owned one before and it was never really an issue.

BTW, I take precautions when it comes to my gear... especially the crucial & expensive gear. I highly doubt that my bag will ever get wet but theres always that "just in case" that runs through my mind all the time. I guess I am going to go with the regular. Its lighter anyway, I really don't need the weight.

Blaf
01-17-2008, 13:29
I bought my Helium EQ a year ago from Backcountry.com
I took advantage of 20% off sale.

But if you chat with them you will get at least 10% off.

I have Helium EQ, but with this experience, next time I would go with just Helium.

88BlueGT
01-17-2008, 19:12
Whats the reason that you say you would get the regular helium next time? Please be specific....

Blaf
01-18-2008, 16:53
Because it is cheaper but on the first place it is lighter.
I bought EQ just because of the full lengh zipper.

My thinking was, in case I use it in summer I can unzip it all the way and cool down. But now my thinking is, I would never use this bag in summer time, so no need to cool down and 1/2 the zipper would work just fine.

mrburns
01-18-2008, 19:11
I looked at the EQ briefly before buying the standard Helium. The three biggest reasons for my decision were:

1) I read that the "Breathable" material on the EQ wasn't all that breathable and packing it was on par with deflating a sleeping pad... I did not verify this claim myself, but didn't like the prospect of it.

2) I've never accidentally soaked a sleeping bag, so I figured I'd pick the lighter of the two given that I'd likely be able to maintain the same track record.

3) I use a full tent as a shelter... if I were using a single wall tarp or something, I might have been swayed to get the EQ, in case the wind changed during the night or something.

88BlueGT
01-19-2008, 04:11
I'm also going to be using a tent for a shelter. It seems that the regular bag is my best option (along with the lightest and cheapest). I'm in the process of looking for one thats second hand but never used before. Another thing is that I'm going a little heavier on my stove and pot set so I need to make up for it in other places.... this was one of them that I wanted to go as light as possible with still being able to sleep warm since I am some what of a cold sleeper.

Anyone know any companies where I can buy this bag from besides Marmot themselves? I know that backcountry carries them but it seems like all that they carry is the Helium EQ, I have not found the regular Helium on their site.

Heater
01-19-2008, 05:39
Cookpot/Sleeping bag - Sleeping bag/Cookpot... hmmmm. Weight...? Which do I skimp on? Sleeping bag or cookpot?

Hmmmm... IMO... Skimping on your Sleeping bag rather than your cookpot is back-asswards.

Appalachian Tater
01-19-2008, 11:26
Anyone know any companies where I can buy this bag from besides Marmot themselves? I know that backcountry carries them but it seems like all that they carry is the Helium EQ, I have not found the regular Helium on their site.

Here are a few:

http://www.google.com/products?q=marmot+helium&btnG=Search+Products

You might also try a regular Google search.

88BlueGT
01-19-2008, 12:34
Cookpot/Sleeping bag - Sleeping bag/Cookpot... hmmmm. Weight...? Which do I skimp on? Sleeping bag or cookpot?

Hmmmm... IMO... Skimping on your Sleeping bag rather than your cookpot is back-asswards.

I never said I was "skimping" on anything. I just already have my cookset but was a little heavier than I planned so I wanted to make up for it. In NO way am I skimping on anything. In fact Im going with a better/lighter bag than I originally planned.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-19-2008, 23:03
I prefer the EQ while it is not completely waterproof it does provide some water resistance which is especially important with a down bag
Hillbilly

Dogwood
01-20-2008, 03:46
The Helium EQ is designed for when you are apt to encounter rain spray/puddling like might be encountered when sleeping without a bivy under a tarp or when you're cowboy camping without a bivy or U simply like sleeping out under the stars and prolonged or heavy rain is not in the forecast but there is still a chance of some misty rain or when U simply want added protection for your down sleeping bag. This extra protection does come at a price: 1) it's more expensive than the reg. version with Pertex Quantum fabric/technology 2) the EQ does not breath as well as the reg version 3) it's heavier(because it has a full-length zipper and the fabric/technology is heavier). I have over 3500 trail miles in the last 1 1/2 yrs. on my Helium Pertex Quantum(the reg one) in conditions ranging from 0 deg to 70 deg from the Smokies to Mt. Katahdin to Mt. Haleakala to the Grand Canyon. It still has retained its loft like on the first day I received it and it still looks new. The Pertex Quantum fabric/technology provides a good level of water resistance by itself. If you're trying to decide which way to go with the sleeping bag based on whether or not it will get wet because your tent/tent fabric wets out maybe you should consider a different tent. From what I know of Hilldeberg they are a quality manufacturer of tents, but being European based they tend to manufacture tents for the European market based on hiking conditions that most Europeans are going to find in Europe. I also believe they manufacture most, if not all, of their tents using single walled technology/fabrics. ALL tents can produce condensation but single wall tents typically produce more condensation than others, particularly on the wet eastcoast. That's why single wall tents tend to be used more often in western, midwestern and high elevations in the southwestern US areas or cold drier climes found in many parts of Europe found at higher elevations. Of course there are exceptions, but for what U are doing(thru-hiking The AT) you are generally better off with a two walled tent. If you are dealing with typical condensation found inside of two wall tents you are not going to need the EQ. I have a 6'4" 200 lb. med. frame and I have no problem getting in and out of my Helium with the 1/2 zip, although the full zip does provide more venting options. I don't think U are going to want to have a sleeping bag rated at 15 deg. during the summer months along the AT. Plan on sleeping on top of the bag alot, or better yet, consider a LITE wt. summer bag/sleep sheet during the warmer times of your journey. As U reach the New England states in Fall go back to the warmer bag! You'll also find out that Marmot has a very realalistic temp. rating for their bags; I wish this was true for all sleeping bag manufacturers! If U still can't decide about gear let me say Backcountry has a liberal return policy, as does EMS and REI, and you will most likely get some excellent advice and service from any of these companies. CARPE DIEM!!!

Heater
01-20-2008, 04:17
I never said I was "skimping" on anything. I just already have my cookset but was a little heavier than I planned so I wanted to make up for it. In NO way am I skimping on anything. In fact Im going with a better/lighter bag than I originally planned.

"I kind of went heavy on my mess kit and stove so Im trying to cut the weight elsewhere which I planned on doing in my bag, ruck & tent."

Whatever... :-?

88BlueGT
01-20-2008, 04:51
OK let me try and explain this a little better. I recieved a GSI cookset for Christmas from my girlfriend. I planned on going with a solo Ti-set but am happy with the GSI anyway since I think it suits me better. I also went with a heavier stove for the reliability (Optimus Nova +). Now, since theres prob 1/2 lb there that could have been cut I wanted to go with a lighter tent/bag than I orginally planned. I dont plan on "skimping" on quality, just going with lighter gear. "cutting weight" does NOT mean that I'm dropping my quality standard for my gear.

88BlueGT
01-20-2008, 04:53
The Helium EQ is designed for when you are apt to encounter rain spray/puddling like might be encountered when sleeping without a bivy under a tarp or when you're cowboy camping without a bivy or U simply like sleeping out under the stars and prolonged or heavy rain is not in the forecast but there is still a chance of some misty rain or when U simply want added protection for your down sleeping bag. This extra protection does come at a price: 1) it's more expensive than the reg. version with Pertex Quantum fabric/technology 2) the EQ does not breath as well as the reg version 3) it's heavier(because it has a full-length zipper and the fabric/technology is heavier). I have over 3500 trail miles in the last 1 1/2 yrs. on my Helium Pertex Quantum(the reg one) in conditions ranging from 0 deg to 70 deg from the Smokies to Mt. Katahdin to Mt. Haleakala to the Grand Canyon. It still has retained its loft like on the first day I received it and it still looks new. The Pertex Quantum fabric/technology provides a good level of water resistance by itself. If you're trying to decide which way to go with the sleeping bag based on whether or not it will get wet because your tent/tent fabric wets out maybe you should consider a different tent. From what I know of Hilldeberg they are a quality manufacturer of tents, but being European based they tend to manufacture tents for the European market based on hiking conditions that most Europeans are going to find in Europe. I also believe they manufacture most, if not all, of their tents using single walled technology/fabrics. ALL tents can produce condensation but single wall tents typically produce more condensation than others, particularly on the wet eastcoast. That's why single wall tents tend to be used more often in western, midwestern and high elevations in the southwestern US areas or cold drier climes found in many parts of Europe found at higher elevations. Of course there are exceptions, but for what U are doing(thru-hiking The AT) you are generally better off with a two walled tent. If you are dealing with typical condensation found inside of two wall tents you are not going to need the EQ. I have a 6'4" 200 lb. med. frame and I have no problem getting in and out of my Helium with the 1/2 zip, although the full zip does provide more venting options. I don't think U are going to want to have a sleeping bag rated at 15 deg. during the summer months along the AT. Plan on sleeping on top of the bag alot, or better yet, consider a LITE wt. summer bag/sleep sheet during the warmer times of your journey. As U reach the New England states in Fall go back to the warmer bag! You'll also find out that Marmot has a very realalistic temp. rating for their bags; I wish this was true for all sleeping bag manufacturers! If U still can't decide about gear let me say Backcountry has a liberal return policy, as does EMS and REI, and you will most likely get some excellent advice and service from any of these companies. CARPE DIEM!!!

Thanks for the advice. I plan on getting the regular Helium.

Gary-G
01-29-2008, 13:51
Yeah 88BlueGT....I've been debating the same with the reg. Helium and the EQ. Is it sad that I may just pay the extra cash and get the EQ because I have to have a full length zipper! Sometimes you just have to hang a leg out of your bag.

Montego
01-30-2008, 02:39
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Gary-G :welcome

Mocs123
01-30-2008, 10:22
Gary, I think the new 2008 Helium (due ot anytime) has a full length zipper.

88BlueGT
01-31-2008, 02:25
Yeah 88BlueGT....I've been debating the same with the reg. Helium and the EQ. Is it sad that I may just pay the extra cash and get the EQ because I have to have a full length zipper! Sometimes you just have to hang a leg out of your bag.

That would of been nice :) I ended up getting a regular Helium on ebay about a week ago. I havent taken it out on the trail yet but slept in it with all my windows open (about 30 at night) and ended up crawling out about 1/2 hour later when I woke up feeling ike I was in a sauna lol

Gary-G
02-10-2008, 02:48
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! So, a new 2008 full length zipper huh....I'm sold. Hmm...it was that warm! I guess that will be good. Thats when you unzip your bag (full length zipper) and pull a leg out. (or I do) Cool, I hope that bag keeps ya comfy for many years Dan! See you boys in the woods.

Roland
02-10-2008, 03:00
Gary, I think the new 2008 Helium (due ot anytime) has a full length zipper.

Good call, Mocs. You were right. Marmot's website shows the 2008 Helium (http://marmot.com/spring_2008/equipment/sleeping_bags/ultralight/helium_reg/details) with a full length zipper.

Matteroo
02-10-2008, 03:27
if your cookware is a bit heavy - maybe you just talk with your girlfriend about how the cookware is great but - get a titanium 1litre pot and spork? My girlfriend and I got by fine on a 1 liter titanium pot together with two small lexan cups. Very light. I have the optimus nova though we used her whisperlight - personally I think the whisper light is a better stove even though the nova has a 'simmer' (haha) - the nova has been more temperamental in my experience.

I think going with the regular helium was good - you saved moolah and worry - the more expensive your gear the more you're inclined to have anxiety about it beyond necessary care for items.

I suppose it happens but I never once saw someone with a soaked sleeping bag along the trail. I think everyone's got damp, be it down, synthetic, or a wool blanket - but nothing serious.

If you have not already paid for that hilleborg tent or whatever, look at a tarptent-had great success with a Squall 2 for our hike. Single walled and no way nearly as expensive as anything made by hilleborg.