PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing Weight of BA Insulated Air Core....

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 03:40
I seen a post (but cannot find it again) that someone got a BA Insulated Air Core down to 13oz's. I was just wondering how that is possible. I have a rectangular 66" insulated BA which is comming in at 1lb 7oz (or something in that area, I weighed it a while ago (in the carrying bag) but do not remember exact numbers). Anyway, if you are reading this or know how this is done I am dying to know. I love my pad but the weight is a serious downfall in my book. Thanks guys.

Roland
01-15-2008, 03:56
Is this the thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27073) you're looking for?

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 04:05
No, that wasnt the thread but I guess thats how you do it. The thread I was talking about didnt meantion how it was done, just said that it had been done. Thanks for the post. I might have to try that, I think I like the fit of my pad though :(

mrc237
01-15-2008, 07:52
BA has a pretty good return policy. I'd be careful here, if you ever want them to replace it sometime, they may not honor a return for exchange if its stripped down.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 13:19
Good thought. I highly doubt that they would return something thats half torn apart and modified. I dont plan on having to return it anyway, unless I mess it up in the process :)

wrongway_08
01-15-2008, 17:43
That was the thread but for some reason, the directions on how I did it are no longer there????

- For the length wise cut, just take a razor blade and cut it down to the width you want. Make sure to cut in the MIDDLE of on of the the air tubes!

Make sure the insulation is cleaned from both sides of the cut, take a HOT iron (like you do your pants with) and run it down the sides, you have to press and hold for about 7 seconds and then move the iron down and repeat. . Make sure the two edges are "melted" together the same amount as you'r factory edge.

For the lenght cut, you need to make a clean cut across the pad.
- you will see the suports at the end, cut away as munch as possible 1" back from the cut.
- Apply a little STRONG FABRIC glue the the support areas only and use the hot iron across the seam, try to keep the seam sealer from oozing out.
- Half inflate and then stand it up (cut edge at bottom) and let it sit for 2 hours while the glue dries.
- Fully inflate and check for leaks - If you missed a spot, just hit it up with the hot iron again.

Took me about 1.5 hours to do.

Big Agnes will not warranty the pad at all if you do this.

Worked fine for me.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 18:21
Awsome, thanks alot for the directions. Even if I take 1" off.... less weight is less weight :)

wrongway_08
01-15-2008, 19:03
If you only take off width, it will be real easy because you dont have to mess with those seams across the bottom :) !

Just slice off the amount you want - use a brand new razor blade, then hit it with the hot iron, thats it.

88BlueGT
01-15-2008, 20:01
Sweet. Im definetly not taking anything off of the length. My feet already hangg over it a little bit.