PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Chameleons - which kind?

Bootstrap
01-15-2008, 16:35
I tried on some Merrell Chameleon Stretch II shoes, and they felt wonderful. I almost bought them on the spot, but they aren't at all waterproof.

There's also a version with Gore-Tex, and a leather version said to be truly waterproof.

That said, any low cut shoe is going to let water in if it's raining, no? So should I care about waterproofing on these shoes?

(I already have two good pair of hiking boots, I'm looking for something lighter).

Jonathan

swellbill
01-15-2008, 16:52
I got a pair of Merrell Chameleon Wraps (Gore-Tex) for Christmas & love them. That being said, I don't think the Gore-Tex is all that great. If it's really wet & rainy, then you will still get wet but the Gore-Tex seems to take longer to dry.
I guess they keep my feet dry in morning grass and shallow creek crossings. But if these were not a gift from my darling wife I wouldn’t have paid any extra for Gore-Tex

D'Artagnan
01-15-2008, 17:32
I've got a pair of both and they are among the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned -- right out of the box. Only problem I had with the Stretch was the shoestring(s). It's a single-piece stretchy/bungee deal and it snapped within about two weeks. I replaced it with regular strings and kept on going. I'm not sure how you would go about replacing the original.

Brokha
01-15-2008, 18:02
I've got a pair of the stretch non-gortex, and they truly are almost as comfortable as my running shoes. However, after only about 30 miles of hiking in Maine, the sole started to detach from the front of both shoes. It has got pretty bad and will have to use shoe glue before I hike in them again.

I would still recommend them.

humunuku
01-15-2008, 18:46
if ya need a size 9.5 - I have a pair of Gore-tex Chameleon that were worn once that I'll sell for cheap. (i needed a bigger size...which I bought cause the shoes are great)

ZEKE #2
01-15-2008, 20:50
I also prefer the Merrel Chameleon's. I found that they require very little breaking in. I'm anxious to see how many miles I can get out of a pair.

jettjames
01-16-2008, 00:00
don't know what they normally cost but i saw them at Dillards tonite for 76 bux.

pt

desdemona
01-16-2008, 00:09
This just shows how different people's feet are. I couldn't get used to them, but maybe they didn't fit me that well to begin with. Of course I have never worn anything more confining than running shoes so maybe it was a bit of stretch for me. "Out of the box" wouldn't be how I'd describe them.

Too bad, I think that if they fit they'd be great for my purposes-- and I think they are quite cool looking with the little moon shapes on them or something. :-)

--des

nyushka42
01-18-2008, 16:58
As far as Merrell's in general go, I have 1 pair of hiking shoes (that I bought on my 1st attempt of the AT) and they were very comfortable (I bought mens shoes as I have wide feet), didn't get a single blister, and they had pretty good traction. They stayed dry pretty well, but upon getting stuck in a 2 day deluge up to Neel Gap, they took FOREVER to dry, even though they sat next to the space heater for a day & a half, when I set off again they were STILL damp. They worked great though until I tripped on the approch of Standing Indian Mountain due to my own carelessness (yeay, relatively flat trail, lets walk fast & not look where I'm going!) and had to abandon my hike due to a badly sprained ankle.
My other pair I got at REI for $5 at a warehouse-get-rid-of-all-the-stuff-people-returned-sale. They are pretty good, but for a small tear in the leather, but with the same results, great as long as not tested to harshly.
I found however that when hiking (if its warm enough) through rain/streams, etc., its better to wear my Keenes Venice without socks... they don't have that mushy liner that can stay wet & grow mold.