PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight fleece pullover recommendation?

Kerosene
12-26-2003, 18:03
I purchased a Polartec Power Stretch 3/4 zip fleece from REI last summer and used on my October hike. I liked the fact that it repels light rain, is more windproof than typical fleece, and stretches. The downside is that the weight of a men's medium, at 11 oz., is 2 oz. more than the typical Polartec 100 fleece, and it's probably 50% more expensive.

I couldn't find the exact same version that I purchased but this looks comparable (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47625334&parent_category_rn=4501441).

Noggin
12-26-2003, 18:55
Anyone have a good one they'd recommend? I don't need a hood but a collar would be nice, quarter zip okay but I prefer no zip for the weight savings. Gathered sleeves and bottom preferred but not mandatory. Thanks.

Go to K-Mart I bought one exactly like you describe for $9. Light as hell and very warm. Zips up to your chin for wind protection. Didn't come with a draw string at the bottom but I made one with a piece of stretch cord from my outfitter and one of those squeeze clamp things. But if you want to pay $50 more for a name brand...

hungryhowie
12-26-2003, 19:29
...don't mix.

I always carry a 100-weight pullover (Patagonia Expedition weight capilnen zip-top is my favorite - ~$70 and 8oz), but for cooler weather, skip the fleece and go for other insulations (microloft and down are two great choices - the Patagonia Puffball and Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket are two examples here.

-Howie

sakkit
12-26-2003, 20:33
I'm lucky to have a wife who likes to sew for me and can alter garments to my requests. If you can sew, or if you can find someone who will sew for you, we recommend contacting the Rain Shed (Corvallis, OR) and Seattle Fabrics. They both have good selection of patterns, great selection of fabrics and findings, and wonderful staff who'll make suggestions & answer questions.

Moon Monster
12-27-2003, 02:41
For a very warm pullover, consider MEC's Northernlite--it's a synthetic fill half-zip (men's) and equivalent to 300 wt fleece. Any of MEC's primaloft-fill items are great items. Light, quick-dry, very compressible, various weights. www.mec.ca

Alligator
12-27-2003, 15:17
From April to Sept. I use a set of expedition weight long johns and a PL1 vest, all from MEC. The names are
MEC Expedition Stretch Zip Crotch Long Johns Mens Med. 6.3 oz
MEC Expedition Stretch Zip-T Men's Men's larg 6.9 oz
PL1 vest (Northern lite) Mens large 8 oz.

That's it besides a hat and gloves. Maybe a short sleeve underneath. The long johns are a little less warm than 200 wt. fleece, but much lighter. Outside this time periods, I move up to my golite coal.