PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in NH in April

modiyooch
01-15-2008, 21:02
I have an airline ticket to Manchester that has to be used by April 19. Is it feasible to hike in the Whites/NH in April? I'm missing the 21 miles from Pinkham to Gorham and anything south of Crawford. It would just be about 2-3 day hike. Recommendations? Concerns? Will it be snow, or muddy runoffs?

woodsy
01-15-2008, 21:25
Depends on how much snow piles up from now till then. Should bring snowshoes in April when hiking this mountainous country unless you like postholing up to your crotch in places. Check back here before you head up for a up to date conditions report or check over at VFTT trail conditions for NH.

Frosty
01-15-2008, 21:43
I have an airline ticket to Manchester that has to be used by April 19. Is it feasible to hike in the Whites/NH in April? I'm missing the 21 miles from Pinkham to Gorham and anything south of Crawford. It would just be about 2-3 day hike. Recommendations? Concerns? Will it be snow, or muddy runoffs?April is a tough month to call. If you do the Pinkham to Gorham section, it will definately be snow. South of Crawford is a big area of NH. Between Crawford Notch and Moosilauke/Glencliff it will also be snow, south of Glencliff you are more likely to get bare patches of ground. Could be runoffs and a stream-like trail but more likely not.

Public transportation is tough in NH, but there is a bus that runs from Manchester to Pinkham Notch. It is in downtown Manchester, not the airport, but it is a fairly short cab ride to downtown. Here's the website:

http://www.concordtrailways.com/berlin_conway_newhampshire_bus_schedule.htm

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 08:39
We did Moosilauke the third weekend in May last year. The summit was clear. The walk up the south side had many icy patches starting half way up. The north side still had a bunch of snow, three feet deep in places and I postholed a couple of times. It was an interesting hike.

rlharris
01-16-2008, 09:58
Depending upon what the twelve weeks brings us for weather, the sections from the VT border (Hanover) north to Glencliff should be open. It will be mud season and the trail could be very muddy.

If we get a bad wind storm (like last year's -- which occurred in April :eek:), there may be a lot of blow downs and the maintenance crews will not have them cleared. Last May I had to bushwhack around several blow downs on a day hike in the area.

Locals like climbing Mt Moosilauke any time of the year.

Peaks
01-16-2008, 19:37
I'd say that April is really pushing the season. There will almost certainly be snow. And where there isn't snow, it will be mud. Hiking in mud season can do a lot of damage to the trail. That's why organizations like the Green Mountain Club and Adirondack Mountain Club discourage hiking in spring. And the State of Vermont closes the high peaks (Camels Hump and Mansfield) until Memorial Day.

modiyooch
01-17-2008, 11:37
I'll book my credit ticket, and wait to book the other half of the flight. I'll check back with "y'all " regarding conditions. I was mainly shooting for the Whites because I don't want too many holes in my hike, but if it makes better sense to hike closer to VT during that time, I will. I'm not a snowshoe kind of hiker. Basically, I am spending $200 to save $200, but if I can knock out some more AT mileage and enjoy a nice long weekend in the mts; sounds like a plan. I'll be ready to get back out by then anyway.
thanks!