PDA

View Full Version : Solo in Smokies in September

Peak2Peak
01-15-2008, 21:33
Any issues with hiking solo in the Smokies in September? Space in shelters? Bears? Am concerned about sleeping in empty shelters with 600 bears around.The NOBO's will be long gone. Will SOBO's be coming through at that time? Comments? Previous experiences hiking solo in Smokies?

Marta
01-15-2008, 21:38
Any issues with hiking solo in the Smokies in September? Space in shelters? Bears? Am concerned about sleeping in empty shelters with 600 bears around.The NOBO's will be long gone. Will SOBO's be coming through at that time? Comments? Previous experiences hiking solo in Smokies?

I hiked solo through the Smokies when I did it as a section. It was November, not over Thanksgiving, and I spent a couple of nights by myself. I was, like you obviously are, worried. The worry turned out not to be at all justified. I was fine. You'll be fine.

You'll need to call and make shelter reservations, so you should have space when you get there. (I'd still carry a minimal shelter, just in case.) Don't worry about bears--just practice good sanitation with your food.

The Smokies are gorgeous. Bring a good map so that you know what the alternate trails are if you need or want to get off the ridgeline for some reason.

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 21:40

The biggest issue with the Smokies in September is getting a reservation for the shelters. Just be sure to call a full 30 days out from the start of your trip.

Bears are not the boogie man in the Smokies. The cable systems for hanging food bags (or even whole packs) are solid and work well for protecting your food. The long "porch" roofs keep food from being cooked and eaten inside the shelter reasonably well. This has somewhat reduced mice as well as bear issues.

I've hiked MUCH of the Smokies, mostly solo. Leave a solid plan of your route with a reliable relative or friend and use good sense. And consider the low country instead of the AT. Much of the best hiking in the Smokies is down in the valleys with lush streams flowers and so forth. The AT can be something of a high rough desert by way of comparison.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2008, 21:48
The biggest issue with the Smokies in September is getting a reservation for the shelters. Just be sure to call a full 30 days out from the start of your trip.

not an issue at all. me and sgt. rock did 2 nights this past sept. and saw nobody. had 2 shelters to ourselves. we didn't sleep in them of course

ScottP
01-15-2008, 21:51
Yeah, 600 bears is a lot. I'd be really careful--I hear that a few people get eaten in the smokies every year. You might want to sleep in the tops of trees and carry a high-caliber firearm.

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 21:55
not an issue at all. me and sgt. rock did 2 nights this past sept. and saw nobody. had 2 shelters to ourselves. we didn't sleep in them of course

Good to know. I have to admit to only getting reservations for shelters in the last couple of years. Before that, I just showed up and stayed. I've had trouble getting shelter space reservations on weekends during the summer. Yet, when I got there, less than half the shelter was usually being used. It seems a lot of reservations go unused.

Peak2Peak
01-15-2008, 21:55
LOL. I know the question sounds wimpy, but I'm just an old fart who has been used to hiking with a buddy and am going solo this year, so was just trying to get a feel for that particular section. Go easy on us AARP folks.

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 21:57
I hear that a few people get eaten in the smokies every year.

Yeah, they get eaten by chiggers and mosquitoes. ;)

Egads
01-15-2008, 22:12
There is nothing wrong with planning ahead.

PhoenixGSU
01-16-2008, 04:02
I haven't seen any bears up there (Nov-Dec) but I did see 20+ boar. I'd be more concerned about them than the bears.

Hikes in Rain
01-16-2008, 07:32
Hiked solo from Newfound Gap to Fontana November past, and was never alone. Occasionally passed or was passed by several hikers a day, from people sectioning like me to SOBO's just a few miles from finishing. (Those folk were interesting!) Never spent a night alone, but shelters were far from crowded, with five or six people in them. As has been mentioned, no worry about bear, way too cold for the mice to venture out. Water was the main issue: only little springs for the most part, and I found them either widely spaced or occasionally dry.

JAK
01-16-2008, 09:56
A boar would scare the living crap out of me.
I've only seen them in movies. Never seems to end well. :eek:

When I did my self defence training we never got as far as the pointed stick.

BobTheBuilder
01-16-2008, 10:28
I did the whole section of the Smokies this past September solo. I did see several bears (3 around Mollies Ridge shelter, 2 while on the trail) but they pretty much behaved like bears are supposed to behave. They looked at me and then hoofed off the trail. Still makes your pulse race, though. The worst part this past September was the water situation, which you hopefully won't have to deal with. The weather was beautiful for hiking, and it was a little before full fall color, so there were few others on the trail at the time. I spent a town night in Gatlinburg, which I thought was nice and would recommend. The trail between Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap was the prettiest I've seen so far. The ridge walking in the northern half of the park was cool, too. The worst climb for me was up and over Thunderhead. I think there were three false summits. I even took my picture on one of them before I realized it wasn't the real thing.

It's a good time of year to do the section. I hope you have a good hike.

Rcarver
01-16-2008, 10:38
I do most of my backpacking in the smokies just because it is easy for me to get there.I spend around 50 to 60 nights in the park each year have only had one bear problem and that was 10 years ago at Laurel Gap. If you plan on going during the weekend you will most likely have company every night.
I might even be there with you.

Hikes in Rain
01-16-2008, 11:48
A boar would scare the living crap out of me.
I've only seen them in movies. Never seems to end well. :eek:

When I did my self defence training we never got as far as the pointed stick.

Agreed. I saw Old Yeller. Seriously, though, we have hogs on our public lands, and they really make a mess. In fact, we have open season, no limit on them down here. Fill those freezers, folks!

Peak2Peak
01-17-2008, 09:44
I did the whole section of the Smokies this past September solo. I did see several bears (3 around Mollies Ridge shelter, 2 while on the trail) but they pretty much behaved like bears are supposed to behave. They looked at me and then hoofed off the trail. Still makes your pulse race, though. The worst part this past September was the water situation, which you hopefully won't have to deal with. The weather was beautiful for hiking, and it was a little before full fall color, so there were few others on the trail at the time. I spent a town night in Gatlinburg, which I thought was nice and would recommend. The trail between Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap was the prettiest I've seen so far. The ridge walking in the northern half of the park was cool, too. The worst climb for me was up and over Thunderhead. I think there were three false summits. I even took my picture on one of them before I realized it wasn't the real thing.

It's a good time of year to do the section. I hope you have a good hike.
did you hitch into Gatlinburg, or did you have a pre-arranged shuttle? By the way, thanks for answering my post. I appreciate it.

BobTheBuilder
01-17-2008, 10:16
I hitched into Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap. My first hitch in my life, and I wasn't very good at it. I had somehow imagined that tourists would line up for the honor of riding me down the mountain while listening in rapt silence to my tales of adventure, but that didn't really happen. Most wouldn't even make eye contact with me. I finally begged an older couple to let me ride in the back of their pickup truck, which was a cool ride. It was the middle of the morning, sunny skies, and crowded, but I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", 250 lbs) and was probably looking kind of grubby. I got a taxi to shuttle me back the next morning.