PDA

View Full Version : A little secret (and a long post)...

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 23:13
I’m sorry that this post is long, but after seeing lots of discord and rancor on WhiteBlaze recently, I just wanted to offer up a few thoughts to prospective hikers in 2008 and beyond.

To begin with, a parable:

A Civil War veteran walked with his pack containing his few possessions into a small town. He stopped on the edge and asked an old man if this was a decent place where he might find work and settle down since his family and his little town were destroyed in the war.

The old man asked what people were like in the soldier's home town. The veteran replied “They weren’t worth a lick. They only gossiped and cared about themselves and you couldn’t trust any of them to look out for you or help you out. I’m almost glad the whole town is gone.”

The old man replied, “Well, I hate to tell you, but you may want to move on, because you’ll find the folks around here are pretty much the same.”

A couple of days later, another veteran entered town the same way, again looking for a new life after leaving a shattered home. Again the old man asked what the young soldier’s home town had been like.

The young man replied, “Well, every body there was pretty nice. Always a smile when you said hello, and folks were willing to help out when you really needed it, just like I would help them out. I truly miss the place. Before the war, we were truly blessed.”

The old man replied, “Well, I’m glad to tell you that you’ll find the folks around here are pretty much the same.”

The point to be gained? The AT is pretty much the same.

For folks who haven’t hiked the AT, you’ll likely hear at least a dozen different opinions about how hard the trail is, whether a certain practice is the way to go, or what hostel or outfitter or service one should spend their money on.

Here on WhiteBlaze, you can hear much the same. Sometimes differences of opinion can reach the point of vitriol. My advice would be to maintain an independent view and a positive attitude and much of this negativity (which can drain tremendous energy) can be avoided.

Examples:

Slackpacking vs. carrying a full pack. Some insist slackpacking is “weak”. Others insist it is one of a thru-hike’s greatest joys, to walk 15 easy miles with no pack and return to town or a hostel to relax and enjoy the company of friends. You might be amazed at the heated debate this can cause. Why? I honestly don’t know. But you’ll save a great deal of energy by avoiding such a brawl and remember you are blessed to have the chance to hike a long trail like the AT.

Similar controversies swell around blue-blazing, yellow-blazing, retro-blazing, hiking “pure”, flip-flopping, etc, etc, etc.

Which hostel? Because this involves money, there can be intense partisan politics. I know that on my thru-hikes, there was much heated debate between Kincora Hostel, Laurel Creek Hostel, and Braemar Castle in the Hampton, Tennessee area. Many perennials (those who hike all or big chunks of the AT each year) had very firm opinions on where folks should stay. I understand their loyalties to folks they had known for much time. But the truth is that all three places had great reviews from hikers who stayed there.

The truth, in my experience, is that there just aren’t many bad places to stay or service options on the AT. The hiker grapevine grows quickly and truly bad places get outed very quickly. I even had very good experiences at places that since have had bad reviews. Again, with a good attitude, the AT becomes a community where great things happen with remarkable frequency.

Even the Whites, which you may hear is the stronghold of the Gestapo known as the AMC, turns out to be a fantastic experience. With a good attitude, I found the hut crews and campsite caretakers to be remarkably friendly, taking in many more hikers for work-for-stay than they were supposed when weather was bad, and offering me AYCE leftover soup and bread for a dollar one afternoon when I stopped in to sign a register.

So when you’re out there, smile. You are one lucky human being to have the time, health, inclination, and other resources necessary to attempt a thru-hike. There are very few bad deals on the trails. Listen to the perennials. They are the guardians of tremendous experience and joy. But when you hear conflicting information, remember one little secret……..

With an open mind, good attitude, and some basic common sense, it’s really hard to go wrong on the AT. Even on those days when the suck factor on the trail is high, you really are blessed to be there.

wakapak
01-15-2008, 23:17
Well stated Bearpaw! :)

Allen66
01-15-2008, 23:23
I agree excellent post, well said!!

dessertrat
01-15-2008, 23:28
Attitude is not everything. But it is almost everything. You can enjoy almost any trip if you make it so. And you can hate almost any trip if you make it so.

mlkelley
01-15-2008, 23:41
Outstanding post. I think I'd like you Bearpaw. I think you "get it".

BearII
01-15-2008, 23:43
Bearpaw you've made an excellent point. I've found that by having an open heart and mind you can meet some wonderful people just about anywhere. Whenever I travel I make it a point to "watch" for that special someone or moment. I traveled the country twice in the last two years and found that EVERY day I met someone interesting and had interesting or wonderful or unique conversations and experiences! Yes, EVERY day - I firmly believe it was a matter of the way I approached the day, events and people. I make it a point to believe I'm blessed in this life and good things are going to happen to me - guess what - they do - constantly!! Who knows try it - you might like it!

Cuffs
01-15-2008, 23:45
I nominate Bearpaw's opening post for the Articles Section

dessertrat
01-15-2008, 23:45
[quote=Bearpaw;502606]Here on WhiteBlaze, you can hear much the same. Sometimes differences of opinion can reach the point of vitriol. My advice would be to maintain an independent view and a positive attitude and much of this negativity (which can drain tremendous energy) can be avoided.

\quote]

Wow. Since when did Marines talk this way?:D

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 23:49
Wow. Since when did Marines talk this way?:D

Well, the idea is to win. If you can win without fighting, you're really winning.:D

Jaybird62
Very good post!!! Nothing like experience speaking. Sometimes we do get caught up in our differences........ why? I am very glad to get a chance to read some of your thoughts. Thank you all.:)

dessertrat
Well, the idea is to win. If you can win without fighting, you're really winning.:D

There you go again.

Hippie.

rafe
01-15-2008, 23:50
Good post, Bearpaw. A lotta stuff gets blown totally out of proportion in discussions on Whiteblaze. Eg., I never had a clue that one's chosen method of crossing the Kennebec was the least bit controversial. :eek: Who knew?

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 23:54
I nominate Bearpaw's opening post for the Articles Section

Before it went to the Articles section, I'd want to add a few more pitfalls thru-hikers would encounter. Here, I wanted to offer the post with a short enough original post that folks would be willing to read it without prepping for an article. :)

Bearpaw
01-15-2008, 23:58
There you go again.

Hippie.

You know, I got that a lot in the Marine Corps.

Strangely, Hippies usually think I'm an "out-there" conservative........

Those who really know me know I'm just a happy mess. ;)

Tipi Walter
01-15-2008, 23:58
I never take being out for granted. Even if I'm stuck in a city I'll do my dang best to set up a tent in a yard outside and get my cherished bag nights. To me it's all about Sleeping Outdoors, whether on the AT or under a bush or in a tent or on a bedroll open to the stars(and the mosquitos).

When the bag nights are taken away, well, things get weird, wheels grind and the old indoor tapes are played and replayed, dismal stuff. So All Hail therefore the open trails, the treelines, the creeks and waterfalls, the snow blizzards and the numbing cold that most of here think about, write about and seek out.

And someone doesn't need to walk the AT to live outdoors either, but doing so is as good an excuse as any to sleep beneath trees.

Bearpaw
01-16-2008, 00:00
Eg., I never had a clue that one's chosen method of crossing the Kennebec was the least bit controversial. :eek: Who knew?

Oh, I knew. But I was just as surprised as you though when I first read about it in the registers in Maine and even in New Hampshire.

Sly
01-16-2008, 00:08
A little calcification, you said:

Which hostel? Because this involves money, there can be intense partisan politics. I know that on my thru-hikes, there was much heated debate between Kincora Hostel, Laurel Creek Hostel, and Braemar Castle in the Hampton, Tennessee area. Many perennials (those who hike all or big chunks of the AT each year) had very firm opinions on where folks should stay. I understand their loyalties to folks they had known for much time. But the truth is that all three places had great reviews from hikers who stayed there.I think the hostel owners Bob (Kincora), Sutton (Braemar), and Dennis (Laurel Creek) got along fine, AFAIK. I know the first two did as when I first met Sutton on the trail, he recommended the Kincora. But yeah, hikers can have strong opinions.

Other hostels in other towns, the owners themselves, don't always get along or cooperate as much.

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 00:08
If you have been following Bearpaw's posts, you would know he speaks above the fray and sets an excellent example of how all of us who share the love of hiking could behave if we wanted. (Bearpaw, I have meant to compliment you before on the tone and content of previous messages. Keep it up.) Of course, a healthy dose of sarcasm and tongue-in-check humor helps too. ;) This is not to say that there are not other, very effective ways of making a point without being a dillweed about it. LW is the master, of course.

rafe
01-16-2008, 00:09
Oh, I knew. But I was just as surprised as you though when I first read about it in the registers in Maine and even in New Hampshire.

Well, I like a good juicy argument as much as the next guy, but that one (about the Kennebec) went way, way over my head. Still makes my eyes roll and my head spin.

Venture
01-16-2008, 00:09
Very well said Bearpaw. As a newbe here at WB I have been mostly entertained by a lot of the ranting, even though some of it gets old! "Serious" posts are often lost in the midst of the quips. There really is great info and people here, you just got to have a sense of humor!! The over used adage "hike your own hike" means a lot!!

rafe
01-16-2008, 00:10
LW is the master, of course.

Of dillweedism? :rolleyes:

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 00:14
Of dillweedism? :rolleyes:

You are soooo predictable. ;)

Bearpaw
01-16-2008, 00:19
I think the hostel owners Bob (Kincora), Sutton (Braemar), and Dennis (Laurel Creek) got along fine, AFAIK. I know the first two did as when I first met Sutton on the trail, he recommended the Kincora. But yeah, hikers can have strong opinions.

Thank you for pointing this out, as it is 100% true in my experience. I hope I didn't imply the owners in this case were bashing each other. Quite the contrary. In that particular case, it was a situation of a number of hikers who had stayed in one place or another "strongly" recommending that hikers stay at one or the other. The good news is that it seems they were all correct. I never heard any hiker who stayed at any of the three complain about their experience.

I'd like to stay at all three, and when I section this region again in the future, I plan to do so.

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 00:21
Very well said Bearpaw. As a newbe here at WB I have been mostly entertained by a lot of the ranting, even though some of it gets old! "Serious" posts are often lost in the midst of the quips. There really is great info and people here, you just got to have a sense of humor!! The over used adage "hike your own hike" means a lot!!

It's also interesting how people say HYOH just after they finish telling you how. :)

Bearpaw
01-16-2008, 00:34
To me it's all about Sleeping Outdoors, whether on the AT or under a bush or in a tent or on a bedroll open to the stars(and the mosquitos).

Walter, I so envy you. When I see your tipis, I am especially touched. I got to experience tipi living for a couple of nights in 1994 while I was a living history volunteer with the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton, Oklahoma.

I suspect I would be willing to spend more nights out with such a luxury. Nowadays, I'm just grateful that I get 50-75 nights a year out there.

Bob S
01-16-2008, 01:20
I heard that on Paul Harvey’s radio show years ago. A lady called in and said her husband was being transferred to a new town. She remembered that Paul said he lived in that town in the past. She wanted to know how nice the people there were. Paul asked her how nice people are where she lives now. She said they were very friendly & nice, he then said they were that way where she was moving to. He also said that if people were not nice where she lives right now, that they would not be nice in the new town.

Tipi Walter
01-16-2008, 01:24
Walter, I so envy you. When I see your tipis, I am especially touched. I got to experience tipi living for a couple of nights in 1994 while I was a living history volunteer with the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton, Oklahoma.

I suspect I would be willing to spend more nights out with such a luxury. Nowadays, I'm just grateful that I get 50-75 nights a year out there.

Wow, I was raised in Enid, Oklahoma and did some trips up to the Wichita Mountains near Lawton and Fort Sill. Mt Scott. Also Woolaroc Museum, Roman Nose State Park, Great Salt Plains, etc. It sounds like you've gotten around yourself. My tipi living though was not in Ok but on a ridge in the mts of NC. Alot of snow but very few tornados.

fiddlehead
01-16-2008, 02:25
Yeah, good post Bearpaw. Thanks

Could i add that most of the people who are bad mouthin each other and generating lots of bad will and vibes in their posting, turn out to be great folks when you meet them in person or hike with them.

I think cabin fever has perhaps made some people angry and they're taking it out on their friends and fellow hikers. The trail really isn't like that.

Bearpaw
01-16-2008, 10:09
Wow, I was raised in Enid, Oklahoma and did some trips up to the Wichita Mountains near Lawton and Fort Sill. Mt Scott. Also Woolaroc Museum, Roman Nose State Park, Great Salt Plains, etc. It sounds like you've gotten around yourself. My tipi living though was not in Ok but on a ridge in the mts of NC. Alot of snow but very few tornados.

The Wichita Mountains wildlife refuge was an incredible place. Wapiti elk, bison, and longhorn cattle all within hiking distance of each other. I climbed Mt. Scott and Mt. Sheridan while there and marveled at Serpent Head Rock.

My scariest wildlife encounter ever was as I reached the flat summit of the Mt. Scott area in an unusually dense fog. I spooked what seemed like a HUGE buffalo which reared up on its ridiculously small hind legs, bellowed like I had just thrust a lance between the ribs, and (thankfully) ran the other way, disappearing in the fog.

And of course, no trip to the WMWR would be complete without a stop at the Meers Store for one of the biggest burgers I have ever seen! Those were great times for a 22-year-old.

Bearpaw
01-16-2008, 10:11
Could i add that most of the people who are bad mouthin each other and generating lots of bad will and vibes in their posting, turn out to be great folks when you meet them in person or hike with them.

Yeah, I know this is true for Lone Wolf. He still has a great sense of humor in person, but he is also willing to help others at the drop of a hat, despite how gruff he may sometimes present himself here.