PDA

View Full Version : Tear apart my gear list

bredler
01-16-2008, 02:18
Okay, here's my gear list...right now I'm just doing some 2 week trips max, but I intend to go for longer in the near future. The list is in excel format because it's easier for me to keep track of that way.

bredler
01-16-2008, 03:14
ItemWeightPriceHave Y/NBig FourPackOsprey Aether 7064 oz$211 YESShelterHennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym31 oz$179 YESSleeping BagCampmor 20 degree Down Mummy36 oz$110 YESUnderquiltJacks R Better Hudson River20 oz$179 YESSuspension Jacks R Better Suspension1 oz$10 YESClothesPantsREI Sahara Convertible Pants$29 NOShort ShirtSierra Tech Tee Men's$15 NOLonger ShirtSynthetic Turtle NeckN/AYESLonger ShirtPolyester Dress Shirt???NOSocksWool Ski SocksN/AYESHatJohn Deere Baseball CapN/AYESLong JohnsNot Sure…But I definitely own themN/AYESShoesNORain Gear/JacketMarmot Precip12oz$50 YESBoxersOld Navy BoxersN/AYESGlovesFleece GlovesN/AYESAccessoriesFlashlightCheap yellow light from Home DepotN/AYESCompass?????????NOPack CoverJacks R Better Cover and Gear Hammock$25 YESWater Storage1L Nalgene$8.50 YESWater StoragePlatypus 3L Hoser Bladder$22.95 NOCamera?????????NOTarp StakesAluminum Tent StakesN/AYESToolLeatherman Squirt P42oz$33 YESKnifeGerber Paraframe 12oz$21 YESCell PhoneWhatever the new free phone I get isN/AYESGuide BookAT Thru-Hiker's Companion$13.95 YESHammock Stuff SackHennessy Snakeskins$20 YESStuf SacksJacks R Better Stuff Sacks; Green, Yellow, OD Green$30 YESCookwarePotAntiGravity Gear 3 Cup Pot$13 YESStoveHomemade Alcohol StoveFREEYESFuel BottleNOBic LighterUhhh it's a Bic Lighter 'nuff said$1.69 NOCutleryLexan CutleryN/AYESPot StandHomemade Stand~$7YESWater PurificationAqua Mira Drops$12.99 YESFirst AidBand AidsYESTriple AntibioticNOIbuprophenYESBenedrylYESImodiumYESNail ClippersYESTotal WeightHygeneToothbrushYESToothpasteYESToilet PaperNOSoapNO

-yellow means I don't have it, but know what I'm getting
-green means it's on the way (ordered)
-red means I don't know what I'm getting for that item

bredler
01-16-2008, 03:15
oh, well that copy/paste failed miserably.

SweetAss03
01-16-2008, 04:22
Alright since you asked. But here is the deal, you are going to carry whatever you think you need and want and slowly get rid all the things you want until you only have the few things you need. (Get that?)

Just off the top... Leatherman. You wont need it. You already are taking a knife with the Gerber (I would chose a small swiss with blade, scissors) Either way you don't need both the leatherman and a knife.

Light.... It will work but a head lamp is way better

Data book and Companion... One or the other you don't need both.

Water bottle and platapus... One or the other. I don't like the Water bottles myself but you don't need both.

You sound like you are pretty squared away. The truth is as long a you can keep you pack weight down to less then 30 pounds to start with you will quickly learn what it takes to get down into the low 20's and lower.

Good luck happy hikes!

SweetAss

bredler
01-16-2008, 05:05
Just off the top... Leatherman. You wont need it. You already are taking a knife with the Gerber (I would chose a small swiss with blade, scissors) Either way you don't need both the leatherman and a knife.

Yeah, I figured you'd say that. They each weigh just 2oz though and I like the larger blade on the gerber, it feels better to use in any kind of heavy use (cutting strapping etc.)

Yeah, my dad has an LED one that's really nice and I use it when he's not. Might get one...the flashlights at Home Depot are like $4 though

I only listed the companion...

Water bottle and platapus... One or the other. I don't like the Water bottles myself but you don't need both.

Yeah, I already have the nalgene so I might as well list it. The platypus is my main hyrdation while the nalgene would be used to re-hydrate food and make mixed drinks.

You sound like you are pretty squared away. The truth is as long a you can keep you pack weight down to less then 30 pounds to start with you will quickly learn what it takes to get down into the low 20's and lower.

Good luck happy hikes!

SweetAss

I was mostly just bored. Wanted to see what WB thought and figured it might be interesting. Also to add anything I might have forgotten.

Thanks.

Hooch
01-16-2008, 07:11
ItemWeightPriceHave Y/NBig FourPackOsprey Aether 7064 oz$211 YESShelterHennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym31 oz$179 YESSleeping BagCampmor 20 degree Down Mummy36 oz$110 YESUnderquiltJacks R Better Hudson River20 oz$179 YESSuspension Jacks R Better Suspension1 oz$10 YESClothesPantsREI Sahara Convertible Pants$29 NOShort ShirtSierra Tech Tee Men's$15 NOLonger ShirtSynthetic Turtle NeckN/AYESLonger ShirtPolyester Dress Shirt???NOSocksWool Ski SocksN/AYESHatJohn Deere Baseball CapN/AYESLong JohnsNot Sure…But I definitely own themN/AYESShoesNORain Gear/JacketMarmot Precip12oz$50 YESBoxersOld Navy BoxersN/AYESGlovesFleece GlovesN/AYESAccessoriesFlashlightCheap yellow light from Home DepotN/AYESCompass?????????NOPack CoverJacks R Better Cover and Gear Hammock$25 YESWater Storage1L Nalgene$8.50 YESWater StoragePlatypus 3L Hoser Bladder$22.95 NOCamera?????????NOTarp StakesAluminum Tent StakesN/AYESToolLeatherman Squirt P42oz$33 YESKnifeGerber Paraframe 12oz$21 YESCell PhoneWhatever the new free phone I get isN/AYESGuide BookAT Thru-Hiker's Companion$13.95 YESHammock Stuff SackHennessy Snakeskins$20 YESStuf SacksJacks R Better Stuff Sacks; Green, Yellow, OD Green$30 YESCookwarePotAntiGravity Gear 3 Cup Pot$13 YESStoveHomemade Alcohol StoveFREEYESFuel BottleNOBic LighterUhhh it's a Bic Lighter 'nuff said$1.69 NOCutleryLexan CutleryN/AYESPot StandHomemade Stand~$7YESWater PurificationAqua Mira Drops$12.99 YESFirst AidBand AidsYESTriple AntibioticNOIbuprophenYESBenedrylYESImodiumYESNail ClippersYESTotal WeightHygeneToothbrushYESToothpasteYESToilet PaperNOSoapNO

-yellow means I don't have it, but know what I'm getting
-green means it's on the way (ordered)
-red means I don't know what I'm getting for that item I'd really like to help you if at all possible, but that just hurts my eyes to look at. :D Good luck on your thru!

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 07:32
For those who don't have Excel, I converted his gear list to a PDF. See attached.

Hooch
01-16-2008, 08:17
For those who don't have Excel, I converted his gear list to a PDF. See attached.You're a genius Tin Man, thanks. Did I mention you're a genius? My eyes thank you. :D

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 08:21
You're a genius Tin Man, thanks. Did I mention you're a genius? My eyes thank you. :D

Just trying to help Dude. Chill. :)

JAK
01-16-2008, 08:31
I think it looks pretty good. When the polyester turtleneck wears out you might wind something in wool at a thrift store. I especially like how the bic lighter took up two lines. :)

Appalachian Tater
01-16-2008, 08:46
A Bic lighter isn't just a Bic lighter. Unless you smoke, you only need the very small one, less than 2" long.

Don't forget earplugs.

kayak karl
01-16-2008, 09:05
A Bic lighter isn't just a Bic lighter. Unless you smoke, you only need the very small one, less than 2" long.

Don't forget earplugs.
why earplugs? I have all 5 senses. why lose one?

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 09:09
why earplugs? I have all 5 senses. why lose one?

They are only needed if you sleep in shelters or hostels, you know, snoring mice.

DesertMTB
01-16-2008, 10:53
I would cut down on the first aid gear. Imodium?

You could also skip the gloves. Socks do the job.

Also, if you are just doing sections, there is no need to carry the entire companion. Just take the pages you will need.

SweetAss03
01-16-2008, 13:48
Not sure where I got the data book, but I would swear I saw it on you list if you would of asked me lastnight.

Looking at the list like I was lastnight was indeed painful, I gave it the old college try.

I would agree with DesertMTB on carrying only small sections of the companion.

Socks do the job if you carry extra socks, I don't but some do. I've scrapped all of my first aid (I know, I know) I figure I can make do with my bandanna's and whatever else I have in my pack if need be.

unl1988
01-16-2008, 14:44
Camera? pencil, paper?

pure_mahem
01-16-2008, 18:19
Guy lines for your shelter, powder to prevent issues, D&H to treat those kind of issues but I guess you could always pick that up if you got that issue later on but personally I'd want to have it so I wouldn't have to walk with that issue all the way to town,lol! Good List, I saw a lot of similarities with my own list.

bredler
01-17-2008, 00:12

Yeah, I figured you'd say that. They each weigh just 2oz though and I like the larger blade on the gerber, it feels better to use in any kind of heavy use (cutting strapping etc.)

Yeah, my dad has an LED one that's really nice and I use it when he's not. Might get one...the flashlights at Home Depot are like $4 though

Good luck happy hikes!

SweetAss

bredler
01-17-2008, 00:22
I think it looks pretty good. When the polyester turtleneck wears out you might wind something in wool at a thrift store. I especially like how the bic lighter took up two lines. :)

Although the lighter is simple in nature, that's no reason to undermine its importance:).

I would cut down on the first aid gear. Imodium?

You could also skip the gloves. Socks do the job.

Also, if you are just doing sections, there is no need to carry the entire companion. Just take the pages you will need.

The whole first aid kit I threw together fits into a half-sized ziploc and weighs .8 oz. As far as immodium goes...nobody wants to have that problem...ever, forget about on the trail.

P.S.
sorry about the multi-post, mods feel free to delete it.

Bob S
01-17-2008, 01:06
I'd really like to help you if at all possible, but that just hurts my eyes to look at. :D Good luck on your thru!

LOL on That.

I would add a backup Bic lighter just incase it failed or accidentally got the lever pushed in your pack and you lost all the gas. While I have never had one fail on me, I still back them up.

River Runner
01-17-2008, 01:40
Why ski socks? They don't seem particularly well suited for hiking.

Use recycled gatorade bottles instead of the Nalgene. You could probably get buy with a Gatorade bottle & a 2 L hoser instead of a 3 L, but the extra capacity could be handy if there isn't a water source close to your camping area.

You need a warm hat/beanie.

If you make a cat food stove you don't need a potstand. You will still need a windscreen though..

Where is your essential repair kit? (duct tape!)

Leave the snakeskins home. Just roll your hammock up & secure it with the tree huggers.

Why a polyester dress shirt? You plannin' on a formal dinner on the trail? A lightweight zip fleece would be more useful.

You need an insulating jacket of some sort unless this is a summer trip list.

bredler
01-17-2008, 02:12
Why ski socks? They don't seem particularly well suited for hiking.

Use recycled gatorade bottles instead of the Nalgene. You could probably get buy with a Gatorade bottle & a 2 L hoser instead of a 3 L, but the extra capacity could be handy if there isn't a water source close to your camping area.

You need a warm hat/beanie.

If you make a cat food stove you don't need a potstand. You will still need a windscreen though..

Where is your essential repair kit? (duct tape!)

Leave the snakeskins home. Just roll your hammock up & secure it with the tree huggers.

Why a polyester dress shirt? You plannin' on a formal dinner on the trail? A lightweight zip fleece would be more useful.

You need an insulating jacket of some sort unless this is a summer trip list.

The socks are the thin kind. I just like that they're not cotton. I also have some biking socks that are low-rise that I added to the list.

Forgot to add the warm hat, thanks.

Good call on the fleece. The button down shirt was for when it was just cool, or to layer under the precip.

VERY good call on the duct tape.

fiddlehead
01-17-2008, 02:21
A lighter is the single most important item that you could carry (IMO)

I spent a night out with just my daypack once, between 9 and 10,000' on the CDT in the snow and without my lighter, i don't know if i would've made it. (probably for one night but it was miserable enough with a huge pile of firewood)

Having that experience makes you rethink your 10 essentials list completely.

The hell with the first aid kit. make sure you have a lighter, cooking pot, shelter (tarp or whatever), sleeping bag, and raingear 1st. everything else is a luxury! (water and food is nice too, although we had lots of snow to eat)

sorry to hijack the thread but saw the discussion on the importance of a lighter.

as for your list, don't know what an underquilt or suspension is but is it really necessary? also, a photon II microlite will suffice for a light. Unless you nighthike, you'll probably be tired enough to go to sleep when the sun goes down.

didn't see duct tape on your list but it could be considered a first aid kit of sorts. (probably make my 10 essentials list too.)

bredler
01-17-2008, 02:42
A lighter is the single most important item that you could carry (IMO)

I spent a night out with just my daypack once, between 9 and 10,000' on the CDT in the snow and without my lighter, i don't know if i would've made it. (probably for one night but it was miserable enough with a huge pile of firewood)

Having that experience makes you rethink your 10 essentials list completely.

The hell with the first aid kit. make sure you have a lighter, cooking pot, shelter (tarp or whatever), sleeping bag, and raingear 1st. everything else is a luxury! (water and food is nice too, although we had lots of snow to eat)

sorry to hijack the thread but saw the discussion on the importance of a lighter.

as for your list, don't know what an underquilt or suspension is but is it really necessary? also, a photon II microlite will suffice for a light. Unless you nighthike, you'll probably be tired enough to go to sleep when the sun goes down.

didn't see duct tape on your list but it could be considered a first aid kit of sorts. (probably make my 10 essentials list too.)

Well I have all that other stuff, so I'm down with not getting the runs and having an infected cut for the .8oz penalty.

The underquilt and suspension are for hammock camping. Basically the equivalent of a sleep pad...except without the back pain, and it's warmer.

pure_mahem
01-17-2008, 16:04
The way you guys tear apart first aid kits, you'ld all hate to see my 1 quart ziploc survival/first aid kit. Aww hell I'll just post it and you can tear it apart if you like but you won't change my mind in carrying one thing in it and I'll even post the weights in grams for you gram weenies. Oh yeah the lighter thing I always back mine up and back that up with a ferocerrium rod.

First Aid
1 pair of XL Exam Gloves
18 g

Tweezers
8 g

3 Tongue Depressors
11 g

4 Alcohol Wipes
5 g

10 Band Aids
8 g

4 Knuckle Bandages
4 g

4 Fingertip Bandages
3 g

Mole Skin
5 g

Super Glue
6 g

10 Butterfly Closures
2 g

4 4”x4” Gauze Pads
26 g

4 2”x2” Gauze Pads
5 g

Hemorrhoid Suppository
5 g

Sports Tape
9 g

Micro Pore Tape
15 g

ACE Bandage
46 g

Triple Antibiotic Ointment
32 g

Roll of Rolaids
19 g

6 Imodium Tablets
4 g

Ibuprofen Tablets

6 Benadryl Capsules
4 g

Prescription Medicines

TOTAL FIRST AID
235 g
Survival
Assorted Needles & Pins
5 g

Sewing Kit Container
3 g

Assorted Thread
3 g

Razor Blade
3 g

8 Twist Ties
1 g

Survival Signal Mirror
26 g

Whistle
8 g

Ferocerrium Rod
13 g

Emergency Blanket
45 g

2 Light Sticks
49 g

Pocket Chainsaw
97 g

Duct Tape
19 g

12 Snares
18 g

Fishing Kit
14 g

3 Fire Starters
8 g

Buck Prince Folding Knife
56 g

Quart Ziploc Freezer Bag
7 g

TOTAL SURVIVAL
375 g

jay590
01-19-2008, 23:58
i agree with a decent first aid kit. it might just save you one day.

kayak karl
01-20-2008, 01:58
Camera? pencil, paper?
why not? i dont leave the house without those 3

kayak karl
01-20-2008, 02:23
The way you guys tear apart first aid kits, you'ld all hate to see my 1 quart ziploc survival/first aid kit. Aww hell I'll just post it and you can tear it apart if you like but you won't change my mind in carrying one thing in it and I'll even post the weights in grams for you gram weenies. Oh yeah the lighter thing I always back mine up and back that up with a ferocerrium rod.

First Aid

TOTAL FIRST AID
235 g
Survival

TOTAL SURVIVAL
375 g
i dont print out many posts, but i printed this one. i dont agree with all, but ALOT of good ideas. the only addition i would have is dental floss. string, cheese cutter, thread, fire starter. it comes in handy.

pure_mahem
01-20-2008, 17:25
I keep the dental floss with my toothbrush, toothpaste, and other personal hygiene stuff in another ziploc. I do have some waxed thread in my sewing kit that would work for all the same purposes though. Excellant point Kayak Karl!