PDA

View Full Version : Mental preparation

Peanut
01-16-2008, 06:04
I'm sure I'm not the only one getting the 20 questions (more than that really) about the hike, especially when new people hear of our upcoming adventure. And I'm sure many of them are the same questions over and over again (don't mistaken this sentence as being annoyed about it--glad they are taking interest and learning about something new), but the other day someone asked me a question that not too many people actually ask me. He asked about what I was doing to mentally prepare for the trip. When I first made the decision to start at Springer, I thought about it a little bit, but his asking this question reminded me to think more about that. I guess the basic planning in itself helps get into the mindset/frame of mind, and answering people's questions do the same, but what else am I doing? I know what some of the things I struggled with on past hikes, especially longer ones, and I'm trying to have "battle plans" for when those things occur. What are some things you are doing to mentally prepare?

ATbound
01-16-2008, 06:53
This is my daily mantra: I will not quit. I will not fail.
I just hope that by saying that over and over to myself, it'll sink in really deep and I'll be able to overcome the hard days. By the way, when are you starting your thru?

JAK
01-16-2008, 08:38
Have you devisted yourself, at least temporarily, of other mental commitments?

Have you made a list of things you might be interested in taking up while on the trail?
- botany, geology, astronomy, local history, yoga, perhaps some philosophy, ...

I would caution against rock collections. :)

Blue Jay
01-16-2008, 08:38
What are some things you are doing to mentally prepare?

I believe the most important thing you can do is relax. It's just walking. Granted you're carrying weight and it is up hill both ways but, it's just walking.
You will either like it and keep going or you won't and you'll stop.

Idealist
01-16-2008, 08:40
My current mental AT prep regimes:

To combat boredom – I have found that the more I know, the more I see and the more I appreciate my surroundings. So I am learning all I can about the trail (history, ‘famous’ hikers, etc.). I am studying up on all the wildlife I may encounter as well as the natural history of the mountains. Just last week, I relearned the types of clouds. My hope is that my knowledge will keep me engaged with my environment so that boredom will be a non-issue.

To tackle physical challenges – I am memorizing poems, specifically long stories and ballads. I find that on tough climbs or long runs, I can repeat these poems to myself to keep my mind off my aching muscles. Additionally, I have a couple of short mantras I repeat when the going gets really tough.

Blue Jay
01-16-2008, 08:41

No you won't quit and you won't fail, unless you don't start. You might stop and do something else. Quiting and failing are for those who don't even give life a chance.

AT-HITMAN2005
01-16-2008, 08:57
a couple people have said it. information is the key. knowing as much about your gear as possible, so you aren't surprised when something needs fixing. knowing what to expect trail and weather wise. one thing that helped me a lot was that i knew everything at home would be taken care of while i was away.trust in your abilities. trust the trail it knows the way.

SGT Rock
01-16-2008, 09:20
I'm only about 110 miles into it. But here is what works for me:

1. Mind games - think about computing miles per hour, or do math in your head about miles traveled, miles to go for the day, week, or whatever. Games about strategy for tomorrow for long days, short days, etc. Anything to give you something solid to wrap your mind around.

2. Get an ear-worm. It is actually not a bad thing to get a song in your head as long as it doesn't drive you mad. My current ear-worm has been the cheezy "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. I case you don't remember the lyrics here is a Yutube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CJih1iYC0

3. Journaling. Don't just talk about where you walked and what you ate every day. Journal about what you are thinking or the interesting things you did.

I'm having a blast so far, I can't wait to get up to the Cherohala area, I'm really looking forward to my home turff around Slickrock, and then the Smokies are this big enigma I'm waiting to hit as I've only seen a few miles of that trail.

Cindy from Indy
01-16-2008, 09:27
I was watching the classic movie, "How to Hike the Appalachian Trail" last night and one of the gentleman interviewed twisted his knee very badly on the 2nd day of his thru-hike!

He said he knew the hike was over and he called and booked a flight back home. But, while he was packing, he began to think of ALL the preparations he had made, all the coordination of schedules w/family & friends. And the time and trouble he and his family had gone through to get him to this point. He decided then that he would tough it out. He put his plane ticket away and began to re-hab his knee. He was down about 4 days and then walked 2 miles. He took a day off then walked another 2 miles. After about 2wks of this, he was back to hiking normally.

Imagine, getting seriously hurt on only the 2nd day of your thru-hike. That would be a total bummer! But this guy is an inspiration to me and others.

I've begun looking at other scenarios that could occur that would test my resolve. And I'm thinking through them to see how I would react.

On the other hand, you also have to be mindful of the unexpected. Try and be as open-minded as possible. Don't sweat the small stuff, etc.....

Good Hiking to you!!!

rafe
01-16-2008, 09:32
Imagine, getting seriously hurt on only the 2nd day of your thru-hike. That would be a total bummer! But this guy is an inspiration to me and others.

One component of success is staying injury-free. Injuries happen for all sorts of reasons, but one of them his hiking too hard, too fast, and when you're too tired.

burger
01-16-2008, 09:51

I hate to sound negative, but you might quit and you might fail. There are a million things that can go wrong--injury, terrible weather, gear failure, running out of money. Or you might just end up not enjoying it as much as you thought you would. It's better to accept these possibilities in advance and just plan to go out and have a good time than to have your heart so set on making it all the way that failure to do so becomes devastating.

I believe the most important thing you can do is relax. It's just walking. Granted you're carrying weight and it is up hill both ways but, it's just walking. You will either like it and keep going or you won't and you'll stop.

This was my philosophy, and it got me through some pretty awful days on my long sections. I always had it in mind that I was out there to have fun, and if I ever stopped having fun, I'd quit. No regrets, no recriminations.

fivel
01-16-2008, 10:51
The only thing I recommend is that we eat a humungous pizza, then you'll be fine!! ;)
Wait, we might need some baked ziti too...oh, and some pancakes...?

LIhikers
01-16-2008, 12:23
I find the best way to handle the mental difficulties of hiking is to focus on one day, or maybe one hour, at a time. Let the rest come as it may. As one hiker of advanced years expalined to me, during his thru hike the goal was always to just make it to the next blaze. That's what he did and he made it the whole way GA to ME.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 12:33
it's a 4-6 month marathon. don't even think of Katahdin until you can finally see it. hike one day at a time. try to enjoy each day

Mrs Baggins
01-16-2008, 12:41
We had read every single book we could find on hiking the AT, bought and watched (multiple times) every single video. We went on 12 mile day hikes and did 20+ mile overnighters on the AT. We spent 4 years planning a thru hike.......and we didn't make it to the NC border from Georgia. NOTHING prepared us for the real mental battle of hiking like that except actually trying to do it. I had told people a thousand times over that I believed it was mostly mental and I really DID believe it. But until we were out there every day in the cold, the wet, the wind, the heat, the climbs, and more we simple did not really get it. I'm going back this April for a couple of weeks. This time I do have a much better understanding of the mental effort it takes to keep going. And my husband and I both know that the next time we try to thru-hike we'll make it.

Frosty
01-16-2008, 12:52
I hate to sound negative, but you might quit and you might fail. There are a million things that can go wrong--injury, terrible weather, gear failure, running out of money. Or you might just end up not enjoying it as much as you thought you would. It's better to accept these possibilities in advance and just plan to go out and have a good time than to have your heart so set on making it all the way that failure to do so becomes devastating.You are not negative, you are just talking about something different.

A desire to walk until it isn't fun anymore is not the same as a desire to walk the entire trail. Very, very different animals from a goal perspective. If your plan is to stop when it stops becoming fun, then yeah, accept that and plan for it.

But if your goal is to finish, you have to accept that at times it will not be fun, at times you will want to go home, at times the trail will drive you nuts. Things will go wrong back home. Your spouse will miss you, you will miss him/her. You will be cold, tired, wet. Your body will hurt, you'll get injured. Gear will break, rodents may get into your food two days from a re-supply. Money will get tight toward the end. If you want to finish the trail, you need to plan on how you will overcome these times and continue on.

Warren Doyle once said something in passing at a Gathering that has stuck with me. He said that hikers that finish the trail generally have fonder memories of the hike than those that don't. There are always exceptions, of course, but the observation is interesting, as those who finsih certainly went through more difficult periods than those who stopped hiking when it stopped being fun.

Footslogger
01-16-2008, 12:56
What are some things you are doing to mentally prepare?

==========================================

Be honest with yourself about the task you are about to undertake. Ask yourself up front if you are ready and willing to put up with days on end of ups/downs, wet, cold, being alone, being in a crowd, eating the same stuff over and over again.

From my experience, the majority of hikers who decided to leave the trail (aside from those with family emergencies and/or injuries-sickness) did so because it wasn't what they expected.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 13:01
From my experience, the majority of hikers who decided to leave the trail (aside from those with family emergencies and/or injuries-sickness) did so because it wasn't what they expected.

'Slogger

same reason most marriages fail. fantasy and reality are two different things

Almost There
01-16-2008, 13:12
Fantasy is always better than reality, that's why it's fantasy! I think being mentally prepared has alot to do with how much hiking you have done before you attempt a thru hike. Part of you knows what to expect vs. the unexpected. I would also suggest that if you find a group that you are hiking around and they easily get negative or down, get away from them before you get drawn into it. People can get you off the trail and people can keep you on it when you're feeling down or negative.

ScottP
01-16-2008, 14:02
Don't get too intense about it--it's just walking. You're going on a 4-6 month vacation, and you're going to walk in the woods. It's fun. It's not some huge challenge to conquer, some hurdle you have to jump over to be a 'strong person', etc. Go out there and enjoy the opportunity that you've worked so hard to create for yourself.

Blissful
01-16-2008, 20:49
I've heard many say if it isn't fun anymore they will quit. Let's face it, there will be plenty of times it won't be fun. Esp when you are slogging your way through ankle deep wet sloppy slush with wind belting you at 50 mph. But plenty of times it will be the best experience of your life. And that's what you hold on to. And if you get a bad day, you will have a good day. But you will get days you want to quit. Those are the days that if you can keep going, despite the urge to bag it, all the way to the big K, you will have conquered the mental challenge.

Kirby
01-16-2008, 21:15
When I was at Trashgiving last fall, a hiker who completed the trail in 2007 (NOBO), gave me some simple advice. Don't think more than a week at a time. Set small goals for yourself that are 4-7 days away from you on trail. When you are on Springer, think Neel's Gap, when you are at Neel's, think Franklin(I think), and so on. This has been one of the best pieces of mental advice I have received.

Kirby

dessertrat
01-16-2008, 21:16
Quitting, while not a good thing for some, is not a bad thing for everyone. You may reach a point where you say "I'm done, another six weeks and I'm going home. I don't care if I finish." And you may find those words liberating. All of a sudden, the hurry and the goal vanish, and you enjoy walking every day.

stranger
01-16-2008, 21:28
I quit after 700 miles last time so I can understand the absolutely critical question of mental toughness on the trail. What I have learned since is that at that time I was only 19, and no disrespect to those who are about that age but when I was 19 I didn't know what I know now, and I didn't have the skills, particuarly problem solving skills I have now.

What I will do this time, and I stress the word will because I know things will go wrong at some stage, it break everything down and not get overwhelmed so easily. I'm a union organiser, have been for about 6 years now, and every single day I have to organise workers with constant opposition and intimidation from employers, so I'm quite used to finding ways around obstacles.

I have also successfully transferred these skills into my personal life, and to be honest there is little in life that intimidates me nowdays. Problems often seem insurmountable and overwhelming, but they rarely are. So focusing on what you can change, forgetting what you can't, and constantly moving forward always, without exception, gets you in a better place than simply getting overwhelmed, panicking and defensive.

Another thing I will do is not make any major decisions while I am emotional and will try to involve my other thru-hikers and seek their advice. I learned years ago that calling home is a mistake...no one will understand, and they are much more likely to encourage you to come home, because most likely, they have no idea what this means to you.

Will it work...well that remains to be seen of course. I am very confident that I will successfully thru-hike the AT this year but I've been unsuccessful before...so know that is a possibility. This doesn't worry me, if anything I feel luckly to have had that experience now, as I know what didn't work last time.

I want this thing bad...so bad, and I'm going after it again. It's what you do after you fail in life that means everything, and everyone fails at some stage. I'm just so happy to have the opportunity again after all these years.

Venture
01-16-2008, 21:37
My mental preparation is to be prepared to laugh at myself and all the mistakes i make along the way. I KNOW for a fact i will be cold, tired, hungry and flat out miserable at times. Intrestingly enough, i want to try and take something meaningful away from those moments, whatever lesson it may be! So when you see the guy whos on his back like a turtle in the mud help me up and hopefully we can laugh about it together!! Should be fun, challenging, exhilerating, fantasia and everything else you cant imagine it will be, isnt this part of why we want to do this?

rafe
01-16-2008, 21:37
I want this thing bad...so bad, and I'm going after it again. It's what you do after you fail in life that means everything, and everyone fails at some stage. I'm just so happy to have the opportunity again after all these years.

Go for it, dude. I have a hunch you'll make it. ;)

Venture
01-16-2008, 21:38
:)My mental preparation is to be prepared to laugh at myself and all the mistakes i make along the way. I KNOW for a fact i will be cold, tired, hungry and flat out miserable at times. Intrestingly enough, i want to try and take something meaningful away from those moments, whatever lesson it may be! So when you see the guy whos on his back like a turtle in the mud help me up and hopefully we can laugh about it together!! Should be fun, challenging, exhilerating, fantasia and everything else you cant imagine it will be, isnt this part of why we want to do this?:)

Venture
01-16-2008, 21:43
Yeah, it looks better with smileys!! Still dont know what im doing!! Freekin newbes!!

Montego
01-16-2008, 21:55
One time I was on a trail in the Grande Tetons when it was raining steady and around 35 degrees. I spied a Kangeroo Mouse stuck under a small rock ledge wanting to go elsewhere but not wanting to get wet in the process. I spent, probably, 30 minutes standing in that cold rain just observing the frantic movements of that poor mouses' predicument.

I am blessed with being facinated by most things in nature, and am simply walking the AT to see what there is to see. Yes, I've been cold, tired, hungary, and in pain before while hiking and expect the same on the AT. Doesn't matter, I'm just walking the AT to see what I can see.

warren doyle
01-16-2008, 21:58
Download my one page 'book' at the website below.

Montego
01-17-2008, 00:37

Food for thought. Thank you for posting your 'book' Mr. Doyle.

A-Train
01-17-2008, 01:22
Good question. I remember losing much sleep over the question of mental challenges before the AT. What if I didn't like it or became bored while I was out there?

Things that have helped me over the year on long hikes:

music (ipod, radio, mp3)
books (can really take your mind off miles/boredom
friends (good conversation always helps)
writing (journaling, memoirs, hiker registers)
play mind games (just get to the next resupply point)
Take a day off/zero day in town or somewhere alone

Don't stress too much. Most likely you'll love it and want to see what's around the next bend. Or you'll realize real soon it isn't for you

mobileman
01-17-2008, 05:07

Ah yes Warren, I'm carrying it in my front pocket daily. When I have a moment with nothing else to do, I read it again. Some if not all will be in reachable memory mode when I hit the trail in 71 days. What I don't remember then, I'll just have to reach into my pocket and read again. Thanks for the valuable info.

fiddlehead
01-17-2008, 05:55
I remember being a bit scared beforehand
once i got out there, it took a few weeks to get used to living outdoors.

AFter that, it's all been fun. Have a great hike!

HIKER7s
01-17-2008, 09:40
here's some

Learn your Gear, test drive ALL of it.

Read up and create a knowledge base of the areas you'll be traversing through (wildlife, plants life, towns, trail alert histories, shelter conditions, special interest points you may want to go to)

Read up and familiarize yourself with the way your re-supply and push boxes are going to work. How-when-where-why. Know this inside and out. You need to be confident about what box is going where once your out there. (not to mention to make sure you have every confidence in the world on the person you've selected to run this)

Do shakedown hikes with scenarios as much as will be like your long hike. Hike in crappy weather for 4 hours, get soaked, get hot, sleep in a storm in your tent in your backyard, hike some at night time, etc. ...Deal with all these challenges, it will make you more mentally prepared WHEN you do it on your actual trek.

Come up with something to live by to get you going. For me it was simply because I wanted to do it and be out there. (but I ALWAYS want to be out there). I guess if I could say one thing it was that I felt I was again walking with my grandfather's spirit as I always feel closer to it when I am out there.

BE prepared to be challenged with things that will prevent you from hiking your own hike. Hiker friends are the best and the most warmhearted people I know. However the trail, especially at the starting point is going to be full of dreamers and doer's. Those who prepared and those who thought they were. Your going to meet both and your going to want to hike with these people. Just remember there may come a time where you are going to have to say, "I have to go on" when a freind wants to take a zero OR when you can see an aquantince made go south (bad) and you have to have some way to bail. Mentally prepare yourself that you may be in this position.

AND above all, prepare yourself to know when you have to get off the trial, speed up , slack up; due to health, a gut feeling something/someone isnt right or equipment failure.

DuctTape
01-18-2008, 01:22
Lots of great advice on this thread. The first thing that popped in my head was a saying that I heard/read that went something like, "If hiking the AT isn't currently the most important thing in your life, then go do what is."

Now that I reread that, it sort of takes on a negative tone... oh well.

...and get used to the 20 questions! :)

Shiloh
01-20-2008, 17:49
I agree - this is a very important thread. Many Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their thoughts here.

Some words from the heart that helped me during a time of great loss is to "just keep putting one foot in front of and other and this too will pass". I'm sure that this same thought will be helping me in a more physical sense over my six months or so on the trail.

I look forward to continued reading and learning from the wealth of information to be found in the WB threads as I prep for a March 10th (2008) thru-hike take-off.

Peanut
01-26-2008, 21:23
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your thoughts!

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 21:26
I just hope that by saying that over and over to myself, it'll sink in really deep and I'll be able to overcome the hard days.

The key is to want to be out there more than you want to be at home slaving in the cubicle.

One adventure is worth a thousand Mondays...

Jan LiteShoe
01-26-2008, 21:27
I remember being a bit scared beforehand
once i got out there, it took a few weeks to get used to living outdoors.

AFter that, it's all been fun.

Very true.
Esp. the FUN part!
:)

Lilred
01-26-2008, 22:58
Have you devisted yourself, at least temporarily, of other mental commitments?

Have you made a list of things you might be interested in taking up while on the trail?
- botany, geology, astronomy, local history, yoga, perhaps some philosophy, ...

I would caution against rock collections. :)

Now THAT's FUNNY!!!:D

dessertrat
01-26-2008, 23:04
The question I am most often asked about hiking is "aren't you scared of bears?"

Dead serious. I've been asked that question more than any other.

Lilred
01-26-2008, 23:16
Great thread Peanut, thanks for starting it. I only do sections, but there is still a mental part to it, even when it's only for 4 or 5 weeks. One thing that always gets me through the tough parts on the trail, and for me there are many, is thinking about how Bill Irwin managed this part, or Scott Rogers. These two guys are my hero's on the trail and I figure if they could do it, so can I, and that gets me through. It's the physical challenges for me, being so overweight and short, that starts the mental stuff. I'm sure it's a different mental challenge for all. Some may be homesick, some scared of the unknown, for me it's the physical demands.

also, if anyone wants to read a good book about the history that surrounds the AT, pick up J.R. Tate's book called "The Ghost Whisperers" Excellent!!

quasarr
01-26-2008, 23:56
I spent last summer doing trail maintenance work in Colorado. Overall it was great, but there were definitely some unhappy moments. Stuff gets wet, feet get blisters, etc. And every time I told myself, "you don't have to be here." I could've been a receptionist. I could be sitting at a climate-controlled desk, rather than waking up in a frosty tent and putting on damp clothes.

Like others have said, it's liberating to know that what you're doing isn't mandatory. Reminding myself that I want to be there really, well, reminds me that I want to be there.

Hopefully my strategy will work just as well on the Trail! :)

Appalachian Tater
01-28-2008, 20:42
The advice about short-term goals is good. There's no need to plan more than a couple of weeks ahead and you never know what might happen. You don't need to plan past your next re-supply.

Sometimes smaller goals are helpful: getting to a certain spot for lunch or to spend the night. Getting to the top of a steep mountain might be a goal. If you're not used to hiking, getting to the next waterbar might be a decent goal.

If you're really having a bad day, the goal might be just one more step. You can almost always muster up one more step!

Glo-Worm
01-30-2008, 11:54
I think previous backpacking experience (and success/fun) helps an awful lot. Those good experiences you had on the Long Trail and on your section hikes will be powerful motivators when things are not going well. I also made myself a promise when I started my hike; that if I decided to quit I would give myself full week of hiking before getting off the trail. I have had bad days on the trail, even a couple together, but I have never had a bad week.

Glo-Worm

Lyle
01-30-2008, 13:26
As others have said, "Relax, it's just walking".

Aside from that, make two commitments to yourself:

1) Remain flexible. It's not the end of the world if you alter you original plan, in fact it's probably necessary if you want to hike up Katadin, or any other goal. As in anything in life:

Step one: Make a plan!
Step two: Take Action.
Step three: Determine if it's working.
Step four: Alter your plan if necessary.
Step five: Continue taking action.

2) Do not decide to quit on a miserable day. Only make that decision on a pleasent, comfortable day.

Have fun!

Appalachian Tater
01-30-2008, 13:35
Step one: Make a plan!
Step two: Take Action.
Step three: Determine if it's working.
Step four: Alter your plan if necessary.
Step five: Continue taking action.

A good assessment of the situation and realities is the first step, and the most important. Assessment should be continuous.

Dogwood
01-30-2008, 19:28
One thing I've found that is common among thru-hikers that make it all the way is that they believe they will. They find reasons why/how they are going to/should complete the journey rather than entertain thoughts of why/how they should/can quit. Find reasons why U should, or how U can, enjoy the journey. U should have strong ideas about how and why you're going to enjoy this hike. Focus on maximizing the positive experiences of a thru-hike(those experiences are different for different people). Up front, ask yourself why U are doing this hike. It helps to find an abundance of reasons, or at least one big reason, to do a thru-hike. Don't dwell on the negative and realize that sometimes the events that we initially percieve as being negative wind up being positive. Every event can be a positive learning experience. Up front, realize situations and events are going to occur that U didn't foresee; learn to deal constructively with it; it's part of the journey, it's part of growing. Don't waste precious time or energy obsessed with what's wrong. Understand, up front, that U are going to be taken out of your comfort zone. Every time U are taken out of your comfort zone understand that it's another opportunity to grow, to become somehow better. Isn't it true that when we look back on the events of our lives that at the toughest of times is when we often grew the most but, when we were in the midst of those trying times we may not have looked at it that way. I know some of this sounds like a chapter in a self-help book but after U complete your thru-hike you'll better understand that what I'm promoting is true. Hope this helps.

Just some meanderings of a thru-hiker!

Dogwood
01-30-2008, 19:55
Some other ideas to keep U going:

Laugh often, Learn Often, Be Informed, Have Fun, Push On
AND
reread ScottP's post on this thread