PDA

View Full Version : So confused on jackets...........

Mrs Baggins
01-16-2008, 09:16
I am always cold.....always. I need a light, packable and VERY warm jacket for backpacking. I've been cruising the web looking at all of the different brands and fabrics and fills and reading the reviews. All of them claim to be very warm but none of them give an actual temp rating, like "good down to 10 degrees" etc the way sleeping bags are rated. So far I'm favoring the Patagonia micro-puff (which seems to be nearly impossible to find in a small woman's size - a small man's is going to be too big) because I saw so many people wearing it last March on the AT. However I was very unhappy with Patagonia's capilene base layers - pricey and I was never warm in them, so I am suspect of their warmth claims for the jacket. I know that asking for advice means I'm going to get 20 answers with 20 different brands recommended :eek: but I'm hoping for some sort of "most popular" answer. I'm 52 and menopause is nowhere in sight so I can't hope for hot flashes to stay warm! I'm always the one woman in a room who is not too warm, not opening windows and doors, not using a fan at my desk...........:o

dixicritter
01-16-2008, 09:21
This is the jacket I have, and I LOVE it!!! http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=55

I absolutely HAVE to stay warm, this one does the trick for me and they do have women's sizes.

rafe
01-16-2008, 10:02
I don't carry any "jackets" per se. I carry a couple of base layers and a shell. Plus a flannel shirt (of wool or polyester -- not cotton) in winter. Fleece (Kombi) base layer plus shell works great for most cold-weather hiking conditions, for me.

JAK
01-16-2008, 10:06
My wife picked up a really nice jacket at Winners, which is like a TJMax up here. North Face Flight Series 900, whatever that means. Nicely made. I've wondered if the same weight in fleece or wool would be just as warm under a wind layer. Perhaps with the down jacket you wouldn't need the wind layer though.

I've you are always cold though, I suggest always wearing a knit wool vest that covers your core right down to cover your shorts. Might weigh as little as 8oz or as much as 2 pounds depending on the season. If you are alergic to wool then perhaps not, but it can absorb some perspiration while you are walking and then give some of this heat back when you stop to rest. With wool you are more able to overdress somewhat without the consequences.

Mrs Baggins
01-16-2008, 10:07
This is the jacket I have, and I LOVE it!!! http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Jackets%20%26%20Vests&viewpost=2&ContentId=55

I absolutely HAVE to stay warm, this one does the trick for me and they do have women's sizes.

It looks very puffy. Does it seem bulky when it's on? Could I put a lightweight gortex rain jacket over it and zip it up? It says that the fabric is not very wear resistant. Any problems with it tearing easily?

JAK
01-16-2008, 10:09
Something like:
Long sleeved wool or polyester skin layer (top and bottom)
Wool vest
Hiking shorts
Down jacket

Mrs Baggins
01-16-2008, 10:12
My wife picked up a really nice jacket at Winners, which is like a TJMax up here. North Face Flight Series 900, whatever that means. Nicely made. I've wondered if the same weight in fleece or wool would be just as warm under a wind layer. Perhaps with the down jacket you wouldn't need the wind layer though.

I've you are always cold though, I suggest always wearing a knit wool vest that covers your core right down to cover your shorts. Might weigh as little as 8oz or as much as 2 pounds depending on the season. If you are alergic to wool then perhaps not, but it can absorb some perspiration while you are walking and then give some of this heat back when you stop to rest. With wool you are more able to overdress somewhat without the consequences.

We lived in Montreal for a year so I'm very familiar with Winners. They had some great stuff from time to time. While living up there I had one of the long, quilted, black, down-filled coats with the fur lined hood that about 90% of the women up there wear. It was the only thing that kept me warm enough. I can wear wool and might consider that as an under layer. I trust a Canadian to know what cold really is and how to stay warm! ;)

dixicritter
01-16-2008, 10:14
It looks very puffy. Does it seem bulky when it's on? Could I put a lightweight gortex rain jacket over it and zip it up? It says that the fabric is not very wear resistant. Any problems with it tearing easily?

I haven't had any tearing problems so far. However, I'm not very hard on my gear either. It is puffy, but it does compress easily too. I'd go out on a limb to say you'd be able to put a rain jacket over it.

I'll be going to SORUCK and will have it with me. If I remember correctly I seem to recall you on the list of those going. Look me up and I'll be more than happy to let you check it out in person. :)

Old Grouse
01-16-2008, 10:23
Don't forget that the Pagagonia stuff tends to run on the "trim" side in its sizing in my experience - at least among the micropuff line.

Chache
01-16-2008, 10:27
I have the http://www.featheredfriends.com/images/spacer.gif Hyperion Jacket. At 30 degrees I use my Marmot thermals under this and a long sleeve cotton shirt. I too am the the only cold one when camping but this works well. It compacts very small to. If you get good head gear you will stay a lot warmer
http://www.featheredfriends.com/garmentproductlist.aspx?SubCatId=5&CatId=2&selection=0

envirodiver
01-16-2008, 11:44
Layering is the ticket to stay warm. Several layers will keep you much warmer than one large jacket.

Capilene comes in several weights. You may have gotten the lightweight (which is denoted by a 2), when you should have bought a mid-weight (which is 3). But, your base layer alone will not keep you warm in very cold conditions. It is intended to provide warmth, but most importantly to wick perspiration away from your body. I have not heard anyone complain about capilene, usually just the opposite, so that is interesting to hear.

I work in clothing at REI and a lot of people come in with these types of questions. I always recommend a "system" that consists of:

An efficient wicking base layer that provides some warmth (your capilene).
A good insulating layer that you can add or remove to fit the conditions. For you, I would probably recommend a down jacket (or maybe fleece if price is an issue) and a vest (fleece if you get a down jacket (windblock is good), down if you get a fleece jacket). The combination of these 2 insulators works so much better and is so much warmer than just one or the other. The principle is that not only do you have the warmth provided by the jacket and vest themselves, but you have an airspace between the 2 that gets warmed as well as the airspace between you body and the inside layer, and provides a lot of insulation. That is the reason that layering works so much better than just 1 item.
Have a warm hat that breaths. Much of your body heat is lost through the top of your head. A windblock fleece works pretty well.
Don't get socks that are so thick that they constrain your feet. Restricting them too much can reduce circulation which will make them get colder.
Some waterproof breathable pants (outer shell) and a pair of fleece 200, or expedition weight underwear (or 100 fleece) pants that you can wear under the shell pants.
The last piece of the system is your outer shell. It should be waterproof and breathable. It provides protection against the elements and wind. With this I usually try to go light and not a big Parka type of shell. Unless you are going into very very cold conditions. The light shell (Marmot Precip or Marmot Phoenix) provides some warmth (an additional airspace) but mostly is for wind and water protection.Using a system like this you have many options for different conditions. You can put pieces on and take pieces off. Wear the vest alone with the shell. Wear the jacket alone with the shell. Wear everything together. Obviously weight is an issue, but warmth many times is a trade-off for the weight. It's not a light system but you can reduce the weight by shopping around, or beating it with a money stick. Buy higher fill power down, which provides more loft with less weight.

Sorry about the long diatribe, but that's my thoughts and has always worked for me.

Tipi Walter
01-16-2008, 12:00
For long term winter camping I would recommend these two jackets from Feathered Friends, and they come in xxsmall to xxlarge:

http://featheredfriends.com/garmentproductdetails.aspx?productId=14&CatId=2&ProductName=Frontpoint%20Jacket

http://featheredfriends.com/garmentproductdetails.aspx?productId=18&CatId=2&ProductName=Icefall%20Parka

The Icefall Parka weights only 2 pounds but will keep you warm when sitting around camp.

jessicacomp
01-16-2008, 15:25
I got a coat from this company recently http://www.sporthill.com/productsallZ3.php They are good for temps down to 0 degrees. I only spent $50 on mine, as I got it at an LL Bean outlet. They look pricey online, but you may want to look into it. My coat is so thin that an annoying woman I worked with recently asked me why I didnt have a winter coat when she saw how thin it was. however I was warmer than anyone else, and they all had big thick coats.

jessicacomp
01-16-2008, 15:30
I wish I could edit my post, but since I cant- I'll just add this...
After looking at the other links people posted, the jackets that I post are definitely not pricey. And actually, the coat I have is listed on the link I posted as the "symmetry jacket" It is listed for $85. I swear, it appears lighter than most spring jackets but keeps me warmer than my peacoat and scarf!

tazie
01-16-2008, 15:45
[quote=Mrs Baggins;502843]I am always cold.....always. I need a light, packable and VERY warm jacket for backpacking.

Hey there, Ms Baggins! Northface is the only thing that works for me...but I bet you've tried that. Have you had your levels (annual physical) checked lately? Sometimes "always cold" may indicate a hidden medical issue, thyroid or anemia. Lots of hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top works well, too. But you have to have someone cute make it for you while you stay wrapped in a warm quilt...
I saw your post about your backpack...wish I would have known you were unloading that...I'll check back with ya when I get ready to buy one. Take care.

Blissful
01-16-2008, 16:20
For my hike I used a Sierra Designs down jacket I got from Sierra Trading Post and did well with it. It was small enough that a rain jacket fits nicely over it. For late spring and into summer I went with a Montbell synthetic men's thermawrap jacket.

FanaticFringer
01-16-2008, 18:10
Great jacket. Great price and free shipping. Not bulky and offers very good warmth for such a small weight.
www.prolitegear.com/montbell_womens_alpine_light_down_jacket.html

take-a-knee
01-16-2008, 20:53
Any jacket without a hood is nearly worthless much below freezing. The army's "brass man" studies concluded that a man surrounded with four inches of down, with a bare head, will be dead from hypothermia in about four hours at minus forty F. It just takes longer to die at warmer temps.

FanaticFringer
01-16-2008, 20:58
Any jacket without a hood is nearly worthless much below freezing. The army's "brass man" studies concluded that a man surrounded with four inches of down, with a bare head, will be dead from hypothermia in about four hours at minus forty F. It just takes longer to die at warmer temps.

That's what beanies, balaclavas, etc. are for. Works for me.

take-a-knee
01-16-2008, 21:35
That's what beanies, balaclavas, etc. are for. Works for me.

That is true, they all work to a degree. The only hat that has any real loft (and it's always loft that keeps you warm),I'm aware of is that quilted balaclava from Bozeman Mountain Works. I'm a hammock hanger like you FF and I've convinced myself that a top quilt's main limitation is it's lack of a proper head cover. Those Backpacking Lite guys use quilts on the ground, hence the thick balaclava. Hats, etc can be lost or forgotten, an attatched hood is a little easier to keep up with, IMO.

River Runner
01-18-2008, 01:16
[quote=Mrs Baggins;502843]I am always cold.....always. I need a light, packable and VERY warm jacket for backpacking.

Hey there, Ms Baggins! Northface is the only thing that works for me...but I bet you've tried that. Have you had your levels (annual physical) checked lately? Sometimes "always cold" may indicate a hidden medical issue, thyroid or anemia.

That's a good point. Diabetes can cause someone to always feel cold too, especially their extremities.

Mrs Baggins
01-18-2008, 07:03
[quote=tazie;503221]

That's a good point. Diabetes can cause someone to always feel cold too, especially their extremities.

I had a complete and very thorough physical a year ago in Canada. All was well. I did pick out a jacket - I ordered the Patagonia Down Sweater yesterday. Did so after cruising the web for days looking at various brands and reading the reviews.

By "always cold" I should have clarified I meant when it's cold out (in my case, under 70 degrees!) I'm cold. I keep my house at 70 in the winter and 78 in the summer. Don't like a/c.

RockyTrail4Ever
04-23-2008, 14:15
Hi Mrs Baggins,

I have just a couple of suggestions not about a specific jacket but some things to help you decide. When looking at a down jacket the warmth of the jacket is given in the fill number. The higher the fill the warmer and lighter the jacket. For down the higher the down loft the warmer it will keep you. But this doesn't mean the jacket is puffier you can have a high fill amount and still get a thin jacket. For me an 800 fill jacket is more than enough. I learned just recently that alot of heat escapes from your head, hands and feet so this winter I made an adjustment to my wardrobe I wore a beanie (FYI-I never wear hats) it kept me so much warmer this winter. I will never go back! I hope this helps you a little!

-RKYTR

Check out this linkhttp://www.rockymountaintrail.com/outdoor/jackets/womens-jackets/womens-down-jackets/ they are having a great sale on down jackets (mostly colors)

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 14:43
Hi Mrs Baggins,

I have just a couple of suggestions not about a specific jacket but some things to help you decide. When looking at a down jacket the warmth of the jacket is given in the fill number. The higher the fill the warmer and lighter the jacket. For down the higher the down loft the warmer it will keep you. But this doesn't mean the jacket is puffier you can have a high fill amount and still get a thin jacket. For me an 800 fill jacket is more than enough. I learned just recently that alot of heat escapes from your head, hands and feet so this winter I made an adjustment to my wardrobe I wore a beanie (FYI-I never wear hats) it kept me so much warmer this winter. I will never go back! I hope this helps you a little!

-RKYTR

Check out this linkhttp://www.rockymountaintrail.com/outdoor/jackets/womens-jackets/womens-down-jackets/ they are having a great sale on down jackets (mostly colors)

There is no difference in warmth between 550 fill down and 800 fill, warmth is determined by loft, IE thickness. The 800 fill jacket will be warmer than a 550 fill jacket of the same weight, since there is more loft present. An 800 fill jacket will likely be better constructed since the maker is using top notch down, he'll likely use the same quality in the shell. 800 fill down itself will likely maintain its loft longer with proper care.

RockyTrail4Ever
04-23-2008, 15:21
There is no difference in warmth between 550 fill down and 800 fill, warmth is determined by loft, IE thickness. The 800 fill jacket will be warmer than a 550 fill jacket of the same weight, since there is more loft present. An 800 fill jacket will likely be better constructed since the maker is using top notch down, he'll likely use the same quality in the shell. 800 fill down itself will likely maintain its loft longer with proper care.

Yes there is a difference in how warm it will keep you in certain environments. For example, I wouldn't wear a 550 down jacket to summit Mt. Everest it just wouldn't keep me warm enough. But thats an extreme example. 550 has less down loft so more cold air gets through. The quality of down definitely comes into play the higher the loft. Yes, an 800 fill down jacket is probably made better but, that is because it will possibly be used in more extreme conditions not because the down is better. The 550 fill can also be made of high quality down it all depends on where the company aquires the down and the construction is more fashion focused.

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 15:33
Yes there is a difference in how warm it will keep you in certain environments. For example, I wouldn't wear a 550 down jacket to summit Mt. Everest it just wouldn't keep me warm enough. But thats an extreme example. 550 has less down loft so more cold air gets through. The quality of down definitely comes into play the higher the loft. Yes, an 800 fill down jacket is probably made better but, that is because it will possibly be used in more extreme conditions not because the down is better. The 550 fill can also be made of high quality down it all depends on where the company aquires the down and the construction is more fashion focused.

Simply not so, you are misinformed. The only advantage to 800fill is reduced weight and bulk, and likely longer life of the down, not warmth. R-value and the physics of heat flow are what they are, it isn't an opinion.

RockyTrail4Ever
04-23-2008, 15:43

Mags
04-23-2008, 15:55
Fellow men..let's remember this is a women's forum. We are guests.

While I am sure the women don't mind advice on a jacket, they probably don't like us getting into p***ing matches and making a mess of the place.

We can debate the merits of fill power elsewhere..'eh? :sun

RockyTrail4Ever
04-23-2008, 16:23
Take A Knee-You probably already know about heat bridging- more heat flows through the path of least resistance than through insulation. There is more resistance in 550 down fill because there is less loft which means more insulation and resistance. In 800 fill down there is more loft less insulation and less resistance more warmth.

I agree mags I posted only my opinion! Yes, I am woman!

RockyTrail4Ever
04-23-2008, 16:29
My appologies, I was only trying to give advice(my opinions) when I posted. :rolleyes:

take-a-knee
04-23-2008, 16:50
Fellow men..let's remember this is a women's forum. We are guests.

While I am sure the women don't mind advice on a jacket, they probably don't like us getting into p***ing matches and making a mess of the place.

We can debate the merits of fill power elsewhere..'eh? :sun

No problem, I'll not post in the women's forum again.

Long Island Ice Tea
04-23-2008, 16:57
[quote=Mrs Baggins;505126][quote=River Runner;505034]
I did pick out a jacket - I ordered the Patagonia Down Sweater yesterday. quote]

My wife wants to be buried in that jacket, I'm sure to oblige...

Mags
04-23-2008, 16:57
Posting an opinion and arguing over fill power differences are a bit different. ;)

I'll just say down may not be the best choice for the wetter climates of the Appalachians and a synth fill may be more versatile.

Enough posting from me.

Kerosene
04-23-2008, 17:46
The Montbell jackets (http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?p=all&cat_id=70) are another lightweight option, similar in philosophy to the Western Mountaineering jacket mentioned above, and available in women's small. Note that there are insulated pants also, as well as synthetic versions if you're concerned about wet weather.

Yet another option are the Cocoon UL (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/results_advanced?criteria=%22cocoon+UL%22&mv_session_id=AvHWZiaY&set_offset=0&set_use_limits=&search_clear=1&sort=&show=) jackets and pants, which claim to have the highest warmth-to-weight ratio out there (but are also incredibly expensive and frequently out-of-stock).

iliketacos
04-23-2008, 19:08
The Patagonia Down Sweater

and

A light Marmot Shell works wonders.

Blissful
04-23-2008, 19:30
I liked my Montbell thermawrap - used it for most of the hike (mainly in the fall). Took my down jacket for March and April.

Pickleodeon
07-28-2008, 21:47
I have a down jacket, but I'm worried about waterproofness? Can I put a waterproof jacket overtop without squishing all the lofting warmth from it? I'm an always-cold kind of girl and I'd like to take my down with me. Any suggestions? Also, I'm not really sure what, if any, kind of special care down needs, besides don't get it wet.

Lucinda
07-29-2008, 06:46
I've never used a down jacket while hiking in winter in the Appalachians. But then again, I hike hot so I get by with layers of Smartwool clothing and a windproof/waterproof shell. I've even hiked in just tights on my lower half at times. You definitely don't want too get too sweaty when it's cold.

Hiking here in the winter might be hotter than you think.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-29-2008, 09:30
I got a womens version of the REI mens spruce run convertible jacket one winter. It kept me wamr and if I got too hot the sleeves zip off. It uses primaloft insulation so I wasn't a woried about it getting wet as I do my down stuff.

Here's the link for more info about it...http://www.rei.com/product/755085

minnesotasmith
07-29-2008, 10:05
Thing is, she can't find Puffball Jackets on sale online anywhere. (I liked mine that I used in 2006 and she was going to get one.) Anyone know where she can buy one?

Blissful
07-29-2008, 13:56
I used a regular down jacket when in camp (not to hike in) and had my precip jacket to go over it if needed. Worked out fine. But I see also they are coming out with more streamlined jackets that should work better under rain gear if you go with down for the codler months.

Mr HaHa
07-29-2008, 16:56
The last time I went out looking for a jacket I got so confused I bought a xylophone instead. Does not keep me very warm, but I always seem to have a campsite all to myself.

Hammock Hanger
07-29-2008, 18:03
I have a puff-ball that I love but rarely take it camping. I have found that a number of light layers really keeps me much warmer then one heavy - bulky jacket.

I have my Packa rain jacket, a very light Marmot Ion jacket, a very light Patagonia Velocity wind jacket. Those over a Smartwool mid-layer shirt and if need be a t-shirt I am warm. If it is crazy cold I have a light **silk long-john shirt that can be added to the layers. That is up to 6 possible layers, that weighs less or equal to most jackets and thick fleece. (** I try not to use the silk shirt as I like to keep this one clean for sleeping.)

I already am carrying the rain jacket, the mid-wt shirt, silk long-john shirt and a tee, might as well put them to use. Why carry them and then have to carry something else that I will only us part of the day.

At first I did not want to put on any layers over my wet "hiking tee", however I found if I put on the Marmot Ion and then any amount of layers needed the heat me up while I ate dinner my "hiking Tee" would dry. Then I could slip into my clean silk shirt and sleeping bag for sleep and my dry shirts can be my pillow.

I know it sound complicated but it really works and is pretty light in the pack.