PDA

View Full Version : Hardest trails in the Southeast

Machine
01-16-2008, 13:44
I'm going to be in the GA/NC area for a couple of months this summer and would like to hike the hardest trails/sections south of VA.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Mocs123
01-16-2008, 14:47
It may not have the most elevation gain, but Firey Gizzard trail on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee is a workout for the ankles.

rafe
01-16-2008, 14:50
The AT, between Wesser and Fontana. Nice little workout.

envirodiver
01-16-2008, 15:01
The nutbuster portion of the Slickrock creek trail in Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek wilderness.

MamaCat
01-16-2008, 15:01
I think one of the harder ones in GA, at least, is the Coosa Backcountry Trail because of elevation gain. 12.9 mile partial loop, the description on gastateparks.org says " Hikers will climb and descend over 1 mile in elevation crossing 3 ridgelines". PDF of the trail and on the second page the elevation profile is at this link "http://www.gastateparks.org/content/Georgia/parks/trail_maps/Vogel_map.pdf".

Others that aren't as bad as this one is the AT approach from the visitor center at ASP to Springer Mtn. Blood Mtn Loop is a good one too -- utilizes Byron Reese as approach to it then AT over Blood then the Freeman trail to complete the loop.

You might want to check out doing some hikes with the GATC in that time period. You can be a guest and then if there is one with shuttles or something, it will make it easier. Have fun!

Tipi Walter
01-16-2008, 16:10
Here's my medulla-pounding list:

Panther Branch Trail: Located off the Tellico River road at a pulloff and a nice footbridge. This poorly maintained trail starts out going up a doghobbled/rhodo creek and crosses several times. Just when you think it's over the dang thing turns vertical and rough. Real steep.

Hangover Lead North: This trail starts around Yellowhammer Gap in the Slickrock Wilderness and ends at Big Fat Gap where there's a dirt road deadend and lot. Coming in from the Yellowhammer side this trail is a heartbreaker and mind boggler, a boring mental exercise in going up without switchbacks along a hot and scrubby ridge. Real steep.

The Famous Nutbuster of Upper Slickrock Creek: As envirodiver said, this is a wonderful section of hard trail to sort out motives and intentions. Check out "TOUGH LOVE" in the Backpacker Magazine site. The first time I did it I wept openly, and now after 16 repeated attempts(all successful), I consider it my most favorite of all trails. It's got everything, big rocks, giant hemlocks, vertical root-holds and fall-offs, dozens of switchbacks(sweet relief), and even a few dynOmite campsites along the way.

Finally: Leaving Stecoah Gap and going north on the AT: Cross the road and go up to Sweetwater Gap, not so bad. After the Gap? Pure hell in a very small place. The AT here is worse even than the Hangover Lead North, i.e. boring, hot, no switchbacks, and even steeper than the Hangover. Mister Satan(trailname Turn Back Now), laid out this section of trail as an invite to sit with him on his throne at the top, if you make it to the top.
Actually, on top there's Brown Fork Gap shelter, a place where weary backpackers can go no further.

Tennessee Viking
01-16-2008, 16:24
Going south up Roan is a nice little challenge. AT and park trails in the Smokies, like LeConte.
Mitchell & Craggy
Cold Mountain and the Art Loeb Trail.

If you want a real good challenge, go for the South Beyond 6000 summits. http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/SB6K/SB6K%20Index.html

Wilson
01-16-2008, 17:00
Check out Linville gorge and Mount Mitchell areas as well. If your looking for long sustained climbs and descents, they have them.

SGT Rock
01-16-2008, 17:31
Tipi Walter has some good reccomendations. I haven't done some of that trail in years - but I wake up in a sweat when I dream about it.

slowandlow
01-16-2008, 17:38
Sugar Cove, Panther Creek, Tearbritches, Rough Ridge trails in Cohutta Wilderness Area in Georgia.

rafe
01-16-2008, 19:12
Finally: Leaving Stecoah Gap and going north on the AT: Cross the road and go up to Sweetwater Gap, not so bad. After the Gap? Pure hell in a very small place. The AT here is worse even than the Hangover Lead North, i.e. boring, hot, no switchbacks, and even steeper than the Hangover. Mister Satan(trailname Turn Back Now), laid out this section of trail as an invite to sit with him on his throne at the top, if you make it to the top.
Actually, on top there's Brown Fork Gap shelter, a place where weary backpackers can go no further.

That climb up from Sweetwater Gap is one of the most vivid memories of my hike down souf. 'Cept back then there was no shelter at Brown Fork Gap. And of course no water in Sweetwater Gap. Still no switchbacks, eh? And they wonder why folks quit thru-hikes. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 19:14
That climb up from Sweetwater Gap is one of the most vivid memories of my hike down souf. 'Cept back then there was no shelter at Brown Fork Gap. And of course no water in Sweetwater Gap. Still no switchbacks, eh? And they wonder why folks quit thru-hikes. :rolleyes:

back when you did it, it was tougher. it's been tamed since

rafe
01-16-2008, 19:23
back when you did it, it was tougher. it's been tamed since

Well I wonder when Tipi did it, then... his description sure hit the mark. (He has such a way with words.... :D)

Sly
01-16-2008, 19:24
Mountains to Sea Trail in the Pisgah NF is a good workout.

Almost There
01-16-2008, 21:02
Art Loeb, Duncan Ridge

Roots
01-16-2008, 22:22
Art Loeb, Duncan Ridge

Exactly my thoughts! Gungho and I always say "Who ordered all of this Sweetwater Gap!" Art loeb is fun! We've done parts of the 1st and 2nd sections--WHEW! Can't wait to do the whole thing this year!:)

The Solemates
01-17-2008, 14:44
Going south up Roan is a nice little challenge.

going up roan sobo is a very easy, gradual climb. going up roan nobo is tougher.

Morning Glory
01-17-2008, 15:16
going up roan sobo is a very easy, gradual climb. going up roan nobo is tougher.

I agree. Going nobo up Roan is much tougher than sobo.

humunuku
01-17-2008, 18:50
The Famous Nutbuster of Upper Slickrock Creek: As envirodiver said, this is a wonderful section of hard trail to sort out motives and intentions. Check out "TOUGH LOVE" in the Backpacker Magazine site. The first time I did it I wept openly, and now after 16 repeated attempts(all successful), I consider it my most favorite of all trails. It's got everything, big rocks, giant hemlocks, vertical root-holds and fall-offs, dozens of switchbacks(sweet relief), and even a few dynOmite campsites along the way.

I've got to disagree with the hardness of this trail (its the one signed ballbuster that ends at naked ground.. correct?). It does have steep sections that are a little tricky, but they are short, and the portions in between the steep sections are bad at all.

I will agree with all the other points though, it is a good trail (going up),down might be a bit annoying (haven't give down a try though)

humunuku
01-17-2008, 18:56
Blue Ridge outdoor magazine (free mag here in the south) listed a readers poll of the top 5 or so hardest dayhikes a month or so ago They are:
Three ridges loop, VA
Mt Mitchell Tr, NC
Woody Ridge Tr, NC
Fiery Gizzard Tr, TN

I don't think I've done any of these except Mt Mitchell, which was so long ago I can't remember (but If i can't remember, it can't be that hard, can it?)

BrettHeadley
10-04-2008, 19:51
I've got to disagree with the hardness of this trail (its the one signed ballbuster that ends at naked ground.. correct?). It does have steep sections that are a little tricky, but they are short, and the portions in between the steep sections are bad at all.

I will agree with all the other points though, it is a good trail (going up),down might be a bit annoying (haven't give down a try though)

My friend and I hung the sign BallBuster on the tree up on the left. It was originally carved into the official sign 25 years ago, but the sign rotted. Never heard it called NutBuster until now, but it's the same concept. It was tough when I was a young man and it's nearly a killer these days, but the pay-off at Bob Bald is worth the struggle.

Dances with Mice
10-04-2008, 20:18
Duncan Ridge Trail in GA. No question (http://www.backpacker.com/june_1997_destinations_georgia_duncan_ridge_trail/destinations/809?page=1).

Someone mentioned the Coosa Backcountry Trail - the DRT includes a long portion of it and that's just a little warm-up before the kick-ass portion of the DRT..

I happen to know the DRT overseer for the section between Mulky Gap and the Benton Mac intersection. Don't hold your breath until switchbacks are installed on that portion.

trouthunter
10-04-2008, 21:01
In Tennessee:
Fiery Gizzard, if you don't wus out and take the detour around the boulder field via the Dog Hole Trail. (Grundy County I believe)

Stevenson Trail in North Chickamauga Pocket Wilderness Area (Hamilton,Sequatchie Counties)

North Carolina:
Nutbuster in Slickrock Creek (Nantahala area)
Summiting Grandfather Mountain in the dark, straight up the side, no trail!
It will kick your a**!:banana

trouthunter
10-05-2008, 13:05
My son reminded me of Mt. Mitchell which I had forgot about, did years ago.
Tough!

Mr. Parkay
10-05-2008, 13:26
I would suggest the Benton Mackaye Trail though the smokies. This is a rugged trail, quite a bit more difficult than the AT through the smokies, IMHO. If you go southbound you'll have a 4000 foot climb on the first day.

Summit
10-05-2008, 14:54
Bly Gap to Muskrat shelter on the AT
Shining Creek Trail (up to Art Loeb) in Shining Rock Wilderness
Either direction out of Wesser for 5 miles on AT
Mt. Mitchell Trail

modiyooch
10-05-2008, 18:22
Back side of Grandfather Mt. Start from 105. Ten mile round trip to swinging bridge.

Tennessee Viking
10-05-2008, 22:57
Take a look at the South Beyond 6000 challenge hikes. http://www.carolinamtnclub.org/SB6K/SB6K%20Index.html

The TEHCC and Carolina Mountain Club sponser this program to all the southern peaks above 6000 feet. Some are trail, some are tough bush whack. The minimum requirements of some peaks only ask for 5 miles or a multiple summits in one day. While other ubber hikers take it from the actual bottom of the mountain.

From what I heard the MST route and some of the park trails are not all that difficult to the Mt Mitchell top. But the South Beyond challenge hike suggests the route from the Black Mtn Campground for the ultimate work out which is 3684 foot climb in 11 miles.

Then there is route doing Celo Knob & Mt Mitchell on the Black Mtn Crest Trail which is also highly difficult. 14 miles doing 4400+ feet.

Take in note, that the parkway is closed from Craggy Gardens Picnic area to Mt Mitchell. Only access to Mt Mitchell is NC 80.

halibut15
10-05-2008, 23:23
I echo Coosa Backcountry...but do it all in one day (and ignore the posted warnings against it). It's not the hands-down hardest trail around, but you'll be absolutely done by the time you finish the loop.

OldStormcrow
10-06-2008, 10:53
Joyce Kilmer in the summer, the Stecoah area in winter.

Marta
10-06-2008, 10:59
I agree. Going nobo up Roan is much tougher than sobo.

It depends. I much prefer climbing to descending (it's the knees), so I'd rather do it NOBO. (Just went down it Saturday. What a beautiful day!)

The Fires Creek Rim Trail is short but steep in places. There's also the interesting challenges of finding water and places flat enough to camp.

MileMonster
10-06-2008, 12:58
Porter's Creek Manway in GSMNP is a rough route. Not exactly a trail, though.

- MM.

Berserker
10-06-2008, 13:23
Most of the trails in Linville Gorge (NC).

Summit
10-19-2008, 11:50
Just did Roan Mt NOBO three days ago . . . they don't get any tougher in the SE US!

Tipi Walter
10-19-2008, 12:59
My friend and I hung the sign BallBuster on the tree up on the left. It was originally carved into the official sign 25 years ago, but the sign rotted. Never heard it called NutBuster until now, but it's the same concept. It was tough when I was a young man and it's nearly a killer these days, but the pay-off at Bob Bald is worth the struggle.

I was on the Nutbuster several months and noticed your nice polished "Ballbuster" sign on the tree. One month later I was on the same trail going up to Naked Ground and noticed the sign had been pulled off the nails and "souvineered" by some miscreant A-holes and it got me to fuming. Sorry to have to tell ya.

North Carolina:
Nutbuster in Slickrock Creek (Nantahala area)
Summiting Grandfather Mountain in the dark, straight up the side, no trail!
It will kick your a**!:banana

Any mountain you climb-bushwack straight up the side of can/will be a terror, most especially when wearing a pack. Some become even downright dangerous, up or down. But since we're talking trails here, these bushwacks can't be categorized or even precisely located.

Egads
10-19-2008, 13:08
Then there is route doing Celo Knob & Mt Mitchell on the Black Mtn Crest Trail which is also highly difficult. 14 miles doing 4400+ feet.

The first climb out of Bowlens Creek was my first long climb just a few months after I started backpacking. It was a tough climb, but just a warmup for the scrambles that lied in wait ahead.

I echo Coosa Backcountry...but do it all in one day (and ignore the posted warnings against it). It's not the hands-down hardest trail around, but you'll be absolutely done by the time you finish the loop.

The Coosa is not that bad since none of the climbs last more than an hour.

Duncan Ridge Trail in GA. No question (http://www.backpacker.com/june_1997_destinations_georgia_duncan_ridge_trail/destinations/809?page=1).

Someone mentioned the Coosa Backcountry Trail - the DRT includes a long portion of it and that's just a little warm-up before the kick-ass portion of the DRT...

I agree with DWM about the DRT NOBO. 25 miles of BLISS.:rolleyes:

trouthunter
10-19-2008, 14:50
I was on the Nutbuster several months and noticed your nice polished "Ballbuster" sign on the tree. One month later I was on the same trail going up to Naked Ground and noticed the sign had been pulled off the nails and "souvineered" by some miscreant A-holes and it got me to fuming. Sorry to have to tell ya.

Any mountain you climb-bushwack straight up the side of can/will be a terror, most especially when wearing a pack. Some become even downright dangerous, up or down. But since we're talking trails here, these bushwacks can't be categorized or even precisely located.

Yes you are correct, it was a wash out more than a trail, and it was definitely not blazed.
I guess I was thinking in terms of areas I had hiked that were tough:-?
.I have bagged a few peaks, but Grandfather, well...I almost did not make it.:(
It took a lot longer than planned, it got dark, and there was really no where to camp so I kept walking. But you are correct, I can not offer a trail name even though I do have the coords.

gollwoods
10-19-2008, 18:28
baxter creek trail in the smokies is quite a ramp, although not unpleasant to hike

SassyWindsor
10-19-2008, 21:47
This Hike will properly test your ability, toughest I've ever done. You also bag 6- 6000' peaks in the process.

"The trail is one of the hardest in the US and is regarded to be the hardest in the Appalachian Mountains (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php#)."

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php

Egads
10-19-2008, 22:02
This Hike will properly test your ability, toughest I've ever done. You also bag 6- 6000' peaks in the process.

"The trail is one of the hardest in the US and is regarded to be the hardest in the Appalachian Mountains (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php#)."

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/nc/trail_978.php

The Black Mountain Crest Trail is the same trail I was talking about in post #36.

The DRT is tougher IMO.