PDA

View Full Version : SNP hike w/ overnight next week

AT_Disciple
01-16-2008, 13:53
Anyone interested in a 2 day (~ 30 mi), hike sometime in the upcoming week? I'm free begining Sun 1/20. SNP or VA AT

juma
01-16-2008, 15:33
I think we are heading in to a cold spell that may deter camping out...but, how about base of white oak canyon to the AT and back on the 20th or 21rst - I'll drive.

juma (yuma)

AT_Disciple
01-16-2008, 17:35
Hey Juma - Happy New Year! Hope you had a great holiday. What is the distance - the 'real distance' ? :) I realized (after my post), that I have an appointment on the 21st, but Sun could possibly work....and after the 21st I'm free the rest of the week right now. How'd ya make out with the tent? [email protected]

juma
01-16-2008, 18:18
Hey Juma - Happy New Year! Hope you had a great holiday. What is the distance - the 'real distance' ? :) I realized (after my post), that I have an appointment on the 21st, but Sun could possibly work....and after the 21st I'm free the rest of the week right now. How'd ya make out with the tent? [email protected]

This reference shows about 8 miles but doesn't include going all the way to the AT. I estimate it would be about 10 miles round trip going to the AT. Its in the central section of SNP and comes out near Hawksbill. I calculate its about a 2000 ft climb up---http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/WhiteOakCedarRun/

tent - now I'm thinking 3 season instead - the gossamergear tarptent.

I'm off this fri thru monday so I do want to get out. I was gonna try to hike some Pa. with jaybird62 but it is just gonna be tooooo cold I think.

DAKS
01-16-2008, 22:52
can't do the upcoming weekend, but maybe we can link up in the future for a similar hike? keep me posted for future plans!

Jaybird62
01-16-2008, 23:31
Yeah juma I was thinking the same thing. Keep me informed on your Shenendoah plans, maybe I could join y'all

juma
01-17-2008, 06:01
Well my plan for the next 12 weeks is to hike up a big mountain from the vally floor every weekend and get out for an overnite twice while hiking a hilly section of AT. This is my prep for an annual April hike in Georgia or northern Tennessee with my brother. If the weather breaks a bit and it looks like it will stay above 30 at nite, I'll go north to pa. or south to lynchburg, va, to hike overnites at the AT on new sections. I'll post plans.

Friday, I thinking I'll pack a 20 pound load and go do something in the northern SNP or Massanutten mountain provided there is not much snow accumalation today.

juma

AT_Disciple
01-19-2008, 00:54
gimmy a shout and let me know where ya plan to be sun...ill see if i can hook up with u for the day

juma
01-19-2008, 20:44
gimmy a shout and let me know where ya plan to be sun...ill see if i can hook up with u for the day

email sent....