PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness First Responder courses

naturejunkie
01-16-2008, 14:27
Does anyone know if there is any type of accreditation body for Wilderness First Responder courses? I know NOLS and SOLO are well-respected just through word of mouth, but what about the other schools? How does one determine if a school is reputable? Thanks

Bob S
01-16-2008, 15:41
American Red Cross may be a place to look.

Why do you need an accredited course? If it’s only for what may happen to you or other adults with you or that you may run into along the trail, it would not need to be an accredited course for you to render first aid. But if you are taking under age kids, or for a job I could see the need for an accredited course to protect yourself from a law suit. But then these days you probably would still get sued.

rafe
01-16-2008, 15:46
IIRC, there is (or used to be) something called the "Good Samaritan" law that protected volunteer (non-professional) first aid responders. Just something I vaguely recall from first-aid training for the ski patrol, many moons ago...

Cannibal
01-16-2008, 15:51
I've been an instructor for the Red Cross for about 10 years teaching professional rescuer courses and have not heard of a First Responder course specifically for Wilderness. It doesn't mean they don't have one, but the chapters I've worked with do not offer it and I was unable to find anything on the ARC website beyond the standard PR courses.

Cannibal
01-16-2008, 15:53
IIRC, there is (or used to be) something called the "Good Samaritan" law that protected volunteer (non-professional) first aid responders. Just something I vaguely recall from first-aid training for the ski patrol, many moons ago...

That law varies greatly from county to county; not even the whole state is on the same page for Good Samaritan laws let alone a national standard.

DCHiker
01-16-2008, 15:57
I took the wilderness responder course back in Maine back in 96 through SOLO (I believe). They taught us how to put a leg in traction using a coffee mug, a branch/hiking stick, belt and shoelaces. Fun stuff! I can't remember the details of the course off hand, though

Two Speed
01-16-2008, 16:39
Tremont's (http://www.gsmit.org/programs/adult/firstresponder.html) got a good program. You have to take and pass the professional CPR class before you can attend.

Dogginfox
01-16-2008, 17:43
wildmed.com Generally if you are acting on the patients behalf in their best interest you are not going to get into any trouble, but if you are negligent as with all medicine you may be held accountable.

Hooch
01-16-2008, 18:10
NOLS offers courses in Wilderness First Responder (http://www.nols.edu/courses/find/wmi/wfr.shtml) and Wilderness EMT (http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wemt.shtml). The importanse of accreditation in these courses for some is eligibility to take the EMT-FR or EMT-B testing for the NREMT (http://www.nremt.org). NOLS also offers first aid (http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstaid.shtml) and advanced first aid (http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildadvancedfirstaid.shtml)courses.

naturejunkie
01-16-2008, 18:58
Thanks everyone. I am not concerned with any blowback from helping people. My concern is regarding the quality of the program. If I am going to spend my money and a week of leave to take the course, I wan't to make sure it is well spent. I have been planning on a NOLS course, but scheduling may conflict. Therefore, I was looking into alternatives, such as SOLO for more scheduling options. Cheers.

Lyle
01-16-2008, 20:11
There is no national accrediting of Wilderness Medicine courses. Go with one of the established schools, or do some research to make sure the school is following Wilderness Medical Society guidelines. Check the text that will be used in the course. WMS should be cited often throughout the book.

As you know, NOLS (Wilderness Medical Institute) and SOLO offer quality courses. Wilderness Medical Associates is also well respected.

Less known and less regulated, but potentially good are courses by National Safety Council (their book, Wilderness First Aid and Care is a collaboration of National Safety Council and Wilderness Medical Society, and is quite good but somewhat elementary) and American Safety and Health Institute in collaboration with Wilderness Medical Associates has produced a great text if somewhat dry reading. It does contain excellent information. For these last two, I would investigate the background of the instructors, but they could be very effective courses.

Most organizations offer several levels from basic wilderness first aid (about 8 hours, little practical) to advanced wilderness first aid (usually 20 - 36 hours, much more hands-on) to Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT. These last two are quite intense and can run from 40 to 200 + hours.

OregonHiker
01-16-2008, 22:47
Does anyone know if there is any type of accreditation body for Wilderness First Responder courses? I know NOLS and SOLO are well-respected just through word of mouth, but what about the other schools? How does one determine if a school is reputable? Thanks

Here is a link regarding BSA's Philmont High Adventure programs requirement for the ARC's Wilderness First Aid or Equivalent which lists a number of other organizations that provide training

http://www.scouting.org/philmont/2008firstaidrequirements.pdf

Bootstrap
01-16-2008, 23:24
I've been an instructor for the Red Cross for about 10 years teaching professional rescuer courses and have not heard of a First Responder course specifically for Wilderness. It doesn't mean they don't have one, but the chapters I've worked with do not offer it and I was unable to find anything on the ARC website beyond the standard PR courses.

I have taken an American Red Cross class, I am certified in Wilderness First Aid, they used the phrase Wilderness First Responder with respect to this class.

It was helpful, and I'm glad I did it, but I would also be very interested in other venues. I wish we had done more hands-on, I wish we had done more thinking through concrete scenarios. I have a friend who took the same class with a different instructor, and it was totally different, the two things that were missing for my class were most of the class for him, and he was very pleased.

I'm very intrigued by these guys:

http://www.wms.org/conf/calendar.asp

Jonathan

RedneckRye
01-17-2008, 00:26
I just finished a WRF course last saturday. I took it thru WMI.
WMI, WMA, and SOLO are the big 3 that teach the course. It is an 80 hour class (normal non-wilderness First Responder course is a 40 hour class) and the certification from WMI or WMA is good for 2 years and then there is a 1 year grace period to recertify. SOLO's certification is for 3 years, but has no grace period. To recert you need to take either a 3 day WRF recert class of a 2 day Wilderness First Aid class.
A WFR certification has become sort of the industry standard for leading trips, courses, etc into the backcountry. It is probably overkill for the average hiker. I was the only person in my course who was taking the course just to take it. Everyone else was either their for their job or was in some sort of recreation education college program and would need a WRF certification to get a job.

BMRisko
01-17-2008, 01:10
FWIW I thoroughly enjoyed my SOLO WFA class and plan on taking a WFR class through SOLO as well, hopefully I can fit in one of the classes hosted at the Landmark Learning Center.

Spigot
01-17-2008, 19:39
Wilderness Medical Associates is who certified me but I do guide work so like someone else said above it would be over kill to obtain this cert. It does include basic life support, anaphalyxis workshop, CPR, wilderness first aid, and protocol. I've heard WMA is the best available. It definately helped me out while hiking the PCT. I called off two helicopter rescues that someone had called in a state of panic. One was for dehydration, another for diarrea. Have fun paying for that rescue if you don't really need it. Colorado has some crazy laws pertaining calling in a rescue and putting rescuers at un-needed risk. They make you pay for it. I hike solo mainly so this cert. gives me confidence that I need. In a thru hiking environment you'll have plenty of know it alls who think they know what to do in a crisis so be ready to deal with superiority complexes that dont really know the right way to deal with accidents. Rock climbing communities deal with the same "know it all" problems. WFR has authority over rangers and police in most circumstances so be prepared to "jump in" when someone questions your WFR authority.

shelterbuilder
01-17-2008, 20:42
It sticks in my mind that ATC has (or had) offered a Wilderness First Responder course in conjunction with its chainsaw certification courses, so you might try contacting them, also. (Chainsaw certification needs AT LEAST first aid/CPR training to be valid.)

HikerChick2008
01-17-2008, 22:48
Check out possibilities thru your local fire/police/ems.:sun

dmb658
01-18-2008, 14:13
I just took the WFR class at the SOLO facility this past fall, and i would definatetly recomend it to anyone going on a thru-hike. Mainly because of the fact that something could happen at any moment and its always good to know what to do in those situations

Waterbuffalo
01-18-2008, 16:25
I took mine through NOLS several years ago and it was top notch

ardeaitch
01-20-2008, 15:48
It's a little ways to travel from MD but Landmark Learning in western NC has many outdoor related classes, including the NOLS WFR. website: www.landmarklearning.org - Never taken any of their courses so can't vouch for them bit they appear to be first class...

RedneckRye
01-20-2008, 18:54
The instructors from my course were from Landmark Learning. One of the two, Rob Barnham, thru-hiked in '89. I would absolutely recommend Landmark.

10-K
03-16-2008, 18:04
It's a little ways to travel from MD but Landmark Learning in western NC has many outdoor related classes, including the NOLS WFR. website: www.landmarklearning.org (http://www.landmarklearning.org) - Never taken any of their courses so can't vouch for them bit they appear to be first class...

I just finished the WFA class today. From the way I understood it, it is a NOLS course and they contract the actual instruction out to Landmark Learning. Having taken this class I'm really interested in the Advanced Wilderness First Aid course but I don't know if I'd want to take the more intensive First Responder course.

The WFA course was informative and there really was 16 hours of instruction - we didn't have long breaks, get out early the last day, etc. The course time was split about 50/50 - half the time we were receiving instruction, the other half we split into teams and did role playing scenarios practicing what we had just learned.

Definitely worth $175 and a weekend for the amount of information and instruction. The instructors were very interesting, were able to answer questions with specificity, and the course materials were excellent. I would recommend this course to anyone spending any time in the woods.

What I would really like to see added is a wilderness first aid course that was designed for the solo hiker. It's one thing to perform first aid on someone else - it's another altogether to do for yourself.

Christopher Robin
03-16-2008, 18:16
A.M.C. also use to teach Wilderness First Aid.

canoehead
03-16-2008, 19:11
Check out my web site www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com) and we can take care of your first aid certifications and lots more.

Peace

Peaks
03-17-2008, 08:48
A.M.C. also use to teach Wilderness First Aid.

It's really SOLO. Some of their instructors are also AMC employees. (And an excellent course)