PDA

View Full Version : Days to hike NOC through Smokies?

DesertMTB
01-16-2008, 15:00
My brother and I are planning a spring section hike from the NOC and hopefully through to the end of the Smokies.

We are both strong hikers, hiking 15 to 20 mile days on our 1st section hike from Springer to Dick's Creek. We are also ultralighters with gear ranging from 10 to 15 pounds.

Do you think we could do it in 7 to 9 days?

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 15:02
yup. no problem

DesertMTB
01-16-2008, 15:22
I appreciate it Lone Wolf. I've been reading this forum for a while and besides Ron Haven, I place a lot of confidence in what you have to say.

Hopefully the hike out of NOC won't kill our legs too much.

Can I ask you (or anyone else) another question? When you finish hiking through the smokies, is there an access point to travel back to the NOC?

Hooch
01-16-2008, 15:26
I appreciate it Lone Wolf. I've been reading this forum for a while and besides Ron Haven, I place a lot of confidence in what you have to say.

Can I ask you (or anyone else) another question? When you finish hiking through the smokies, is there an access point to travel back to the NOC?I-40 overpass at Waterville Rd, very easy access.

Roots
01-16-2008, 15:45

Can I ask you (or anyone else) another question? When you finish hiking through the smokies, is there an access point to travel back to the NOC?

The climb out of NOC only gets tough from Grassy Gap up. Nice hike! Beautiful view at Jump up and of course Cheoah Bald. NOC to Fontana is fun!:)

e-doc
01-17-2008, 00:46
NOC to I-40 will be harder than the Ga section. Its a roller coaster from Mollies Ridge to Newfound. Plan on 7 days so you can enjoy the Smokies.

astrogirl
01-17-2008, 10:17
I'm an ultralight sectioner.

I'm not an early riser, and I moved my car in the middle so there's half-days in there. I didn't feel like I was rushing or dawdling, certainly.

The south end of the Smokies is quite challenging. A 12-mile day is short for me, and that's all I could manage. Also, I found the day between Cheoah and Cable Gap section to be challenging as well. The Cheoah climb is looooong, but it's pretty and there's a great reward at the top. That Cheoah to Cable Gap section...not rewarding IMO, and that makes it harder.

1/2 day from NOC to Cheoah Bald, camped on the bald (that was *awesome*, and I highly recommend it.)
Cheoah to Cable Gap
1/2 day from Cable Gap to Fontana
1/2 day from Fontana to Mollies Ridge (wow, the weather was bad, wind-driven ice pellets!)
Mollies to Derrick Knob (this was also a hard day)
Derrick Knob to Newfound (I went into Gatlinburg and stayed and the Grand Prix)
Newfound to Tri-Corner Knob (long-ass day, but not really hard)
Tri-Corner to Standing Bear Farm (just past I-40 at Davenport Gap)

DesertMTB
01-17-2008, 11:44
I'm an ultralight sectioner.

I'm not an early riser, and I moved my car in the middle so there's half-days in there. I didn't feel like I was rushing or dawdling, certainly.

The south end of the Smokies is quite challenging. A 12-mile day is short for me, and that's all I could manage. Also, I found the day between Cheoah and Cable Gap section to be challenging as well. The Cheoah climb is looooong, but it's pretty and there's a great reward at the top. That Cheoah to Cable Gap section...not rewarding IMO, and that makes it harder.

1/2 day from NOC to Cheoah Bald, camped on the bald (that was *awesome*, and I highly recommend it.)
Cheoah to Cable Gap
1/2 day from Cable Gap to Fontana
1/2 day from Fontana to Mollies Ridge (wow, the weather was bad, wind-driven ice pellets!)
Mollies to Derrick Knob (this was also a hard day)
Derrick Knob to Newfound (I went into Gatlinburg and stayed and the Grand Prix)
Newfound to Tri-Corner Knob (long-ass day, but not really hard)
Tri-Corner to Standing Bear Farm (just past I-40 at Davenport Gap)

Nice Blog Astrogirl! Lots of good info in there. I think you would enjoy hiking the Grand Canyon. Perfect for an ultralighter.

The Solemates
01-17-2008, 14:38
My brother and I are planning a spring section hike from the NOC and hopefully through to the end of the Smokies.

We are both strong hikers, hiking 15 to 20 mile days on our 1st section hike from Springer to Dick's Creek. We are also ultralighters with gear ranging from 10 to 15 pounds.

Do you think we could do it in 7 to 9 days?

section hiking, i've done the smokies northbound from fontana to davenport twice, once taking 4 days and once taking 5 days.

then we did NOC to davenport in 5 days on our thru-hike, and that was with 8+ inches of fresh snow and up to 2 foot drifts.

that said, i think 7-9 would be plenty. easily doable. enjoy your hike!