PDA

View Full Version : "I want to show the independence of people with disabilities"

bosborne
01-16-2008, 15:53
With the help of a voice-enabled GPS, Minneapolis attorney Mike Hanson, who is blind, is training for the hike of a lifetime.

On a Wednesday morning in mid-September, Mike Hanson zipped on a red windbreaker, checked his GPS device, then set out to hike a dirt trail at Theodore Wirth Park in Minneapolis. It was a training day for Hanson, a 42-year-old attorney from St. Louis Park who next March will start hiking the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine, solo and unsupported.

Article: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/11345566.html

Lone Wolf
01-16-2008, 15:57
solo and unsupported. totally blind. can't be done

bosborne
01-16-2008, 15:58
Whiteblaze,

Mike Hanson, an attorney from Wisconsin and blind, will start his thruhike on March 1. See:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/11345566.html

JAK
01-16-2008, 16:00
Here is the old thread. Might as well continue in this one though.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28630&highlight=Mike+Hanson

I agree with L.Wolf. Can't be done.
Therefore definitely worth attempting.

Sly
01-16-2008, 16:02
bosborne, I see you're new. :welcome Just a hint, you only need to post once on the same topic, but not to all forums.

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2008, 16:08
With the help of a voice-enabled GPS, Minneapolis attorney Mike Hanson, who is blind, is training for the hike of a lifetime.

On a Wednesday morning in mid-September, Mike Hanson zipped on a red windbreaker, checked his GPS device, then set out to hike a dirt trail at Theodore Wirth Park in Minneapolis. It was a training day for Hanson, a 42-year-old attorney from St. Louis Park who next March will start hiking the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine, solo and unsupported.

Article: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/11345566.html

Will ADA next mandate braille dots on all the white blazes?:rolleyes:

Seriously, I can see it possibly being attemped with a specially trained service animal trained to pick out blazes, cairns, etc. and with specially prepared braille or electronic data, GPS, etc. But alone and unsupported even with multitudes of GPS waypoints/data and such I think it might well end in tragedy.:(

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 16:09
I thought he was going this year. His website now says starting March 1, 2009.

http://www.blindhiker.com/

Boudin
01-16-2008, 18:19
Is he pitch black blind or just legally blind?

Lilred
01-16-2008, 18:43

Seriously, I can see it possibly being attemped with a specially trained service animal trained to pick out blazes, cairns, etc. and with specially prepared braille or electronic data, GPS, etc. But alone and unsupported even with multitudes of GPS waypoints/data and such I think it might well end in tragedy.:(

It already has been done. Bill Irwin hiked the trail, blind, with his seeing eye dog. But he also accepted help when he needed it.

Trying to hike the trail with just a gps won't cut it. Training in a flat, well tailored trail in Minnesota won't cut it. This guy is in for a rude awakening.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2008, 19:24
While I wish Mr. Hanson well, it is my considered opinion that he will not be able to hike the entire Appalachian Trail solo and without assistance.

There are many locations on the Trail (I'm thinking especially of places in New Hampshire and Maine) where a totally blind hiker would get seriously injured or killed if they tried to negotiate these places by themselves.

I have no doubt that this guy can complete the entire A.T.

But he won't do it solo.

Lion King
01-16-2008, 19:35
Agree with all the above experianced people.

People young and strong with zero disabiliteis ,or specially abled or what the hell ever is the PC term get hurt, have major problems, get lost, etc...

If you have ZERO sight, count on it taking you a loooooong time just to get out of GA/NC/TN.

How will you tell where the trail is from road crossing to road crossing?

How can you deal with Albert MTN just to start?

I am behind anyone who wishes to do anything especially if it challanges them in all kinds of ways, but a totally blind person, with zero support is more then likely on a death walk.

A few for instances:

Bears and walking up on them when they are in the middle of the trail with cubs.

Quiet Rattle snakes and Copperheads.

Rotten Privy floors

Kinsman, the tops of some of the Whites and Prezzies, as well as any bald from GA to ME.

Log bridges, river crossings, etc...

again, if they do it, Super Major Kudos...they had better just know what they are going into before hand.

Irwin had help, a dog, and some vision if I am not mistaken. Still a hell of a feat.

Tin Man
01-16-2008, 20:53
I just emailed Mr. Hanson inviting him to come tell us his more about his plan. I said we were wondering how he plans to do this without support. I offered that there is a wealth of expertise here and we would be happy to help. I hope he comes.

dessertrat
01-16-2008, 21:02
While I wish Mr. Hanson well, it is my considered opinion that he will not be able to hike the entire Appalachian Trail solo and without assistance.

There are many locations on the Trail (I'm thinking especially of places in New Hampshire and Maine) where a totally blind hiker would get seriously injured or killed if they tried to negotiate these places by themselves.

I have no doubt that this guy can complete the entire A.T.

But he won't do it solo.

Ditto Jack. His GPS will not be that precise. There are places where you need to be able to see to plan a route many yards ahead, not just put one foot in front of the other.

I wish him all the luck in the world, and have an awful feeling that he will need it.

Montego
01-16-2008, 21:08

"Will the ADA next mandate braille dots on all the white blazes"? Sure, why not? I mean there is already braille on the bank drive-thru ATM key pads. Hmmm - now that's something to ponder :-?

yappy
01-16-2008, 21:23
all I have to say is Yikes !..wonder, is he keeping a journal ?