PDA

View Full Version : Montrail shoes and boots. Too narrow at the toes?

Jenab
01-16-2008, 23:57
I have one pair of Montrail shoes that I don't have any problem with, a pair of TRS Comp. Even though it's a US men's size 9.5, and I usually wear a 10, it's a snug fit, but a good snug fit, if you know what I mean.

But nearly every other pair of Montrails I've tried on has been pinchy toed, and the main trouble is that the boot or shoe upper rubs on my little toe, especially on my right foot. (The left little toe is usually not quite so bad.)

Most Vasques do all right for me.

Merrells are a mixed bag, but most of them have been okay. I have tried two pairs of Mesa Ventilators, one rubbed on the right little toe, but other pair didn't. I love the Passage Ventilators though, because the mesh on the outside of the shoe connects with the little toe, and the contact does not irritate like the rubber would have done.

But Montrails. Man. I'm busy widening a pair of Traverse boots now with one of those opening-wedge separators with the bunion knobs. Maybe that'll fix the problem. But does anybody else have trouble with Montrail footwear being overly narrow, even at a half-size over your normal size?

Or, maybe it's not entirely narrowness. I think Montrails have more of an inward turn on the foot bed as it goes toward the toes, as compared with other shoe brands. That might be why it's always my little toe that takes the friction. :-?

Jerry Abbott

EMAN
01-17-2008, 09:49
Might try going a full size larger. I did that after advice from here and, more or less, corroborated elsewhere including the guy who did my orthotics, and it seems to help.

The Solemates
01-17-2008, 14:41
montrails are narrow shoes. i have a somewhat narrow foot and they were a little narrow on me as well. if you have a wide foot, i definitely wouldnt go with montrails.

Blissful
01-17-2008, 15:03
I had a lot of problems with boots hurting my little toes. Lost nails on both of them. Never had a problem after that when I switched to Brooks Adrenaline ASR trail runners. They run wide enough for me and I take mine one size bigger.

Bearpaw
01-17-2008, 15:12
Most Montrails are made specifically for those with a somewhat narrower heel and instep/arch area, with a toe box that is quite a bit wider in proportion to the rest of the shoe. But the toe box is still no wider than "normal" width would be. The Comp and older TRS Comp are an exception, and my wider instep might actually not become bruised wearing them.

I have found the handful of Montrail WIDE cuts to fit me well (such as the Hardrock trail runner and Torre boot - though I wouldn't buy a boot that heavy). I have been very happy with the Hardrocks.

It sounds to me as though you might want to consider a different brand that will more closely match your foot out of the box.