PDA

View Full Version : Best Tarp Size?

Spokes
12-27-2003, 11:55
Decisions, decisions...... What do you think the best sil-nylon tarp size is for thru hikes- 8x10 or 10x12? My gut says go big but some say not so. All thoughts entertained.

Tater
12-27-2003, 17:41
I have a 10 x 10 and it's too big and unmanageable. Especially in the wind, too much flapping around. I'd go with 8 x 10.

hungryhowie
12-27-2003, 21:42
Decisions, decisions...... What do you think the best sil-nylon tarp size is for thru hikes- 8x10 or 10x12? My gut says go big but some say not so. All thoughts entertained.

I would say that the perfect size would be 6 feet wide (at the foot) by 8 feet long by 8 feet wide (at the head).

I've been using an Integral Designs Silshelter for over 3 years now and have been very happy with it. If I were to do it over again (and I hope I'll get that chance someday soon), I'd go with something like the Tarptent Virga and a sewn in floor - tarplike comfort and weight with tentlike protection.

-Howie

TedB
12-28-2003, 20:57
I would say 8x10 is a good size to start with. 8 feet wide is plenty. 10 feet long is just long enough in my opinion.

In a heavy rain, I'll setup in A-frame mode with the edges on the ground. With 10 feet of length I'll get a light misting (splash) on the ends, but not very significant at all (and this is only on those rare heavy rains). By comparison, I think the GoLite Cave (a funny shaped tarp) is about 11' along the ridge line if you add in the "beaks".