PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Tarp?

bredler
01-17-2008, 02:45
I am pretty unsatisfied with my stock hennessy tarp. If there's any rain, it offers virtually no protection, let alone comfortable room to sit under/cook under.

What's the cheapest tarp worth getting? I like the JRB Cat cut and MacCat, but not the price tag associated with them. Can I go under $100 for a tarp with that kind of coverage and lightweight?

Hooch
01-17-2008, 03:38
I am pretty unsatisfied with my stock hennessy tarp. If there's any rain, it offers virtually no protection, let alone comfortable room to sit under/cook under.

What's the cheapest tarp worth getting? I like the JRB Cat cut and MacCat, but not the price tag associated with them. Can I go under $100 for a tarp with that kind of coverage and lightweight?Have you given any consideration to a Speer Cat Cut Tarp (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm)? The cat cut tarp is $99 and his quality and customer service are absolutely first rate.

Tobit
01-17-2008, 08:47
You really can't go wrong with the MacCat Deluxe or the new JRB 11x10 Cat. Both have excellent coverage and awesome quality. The are well worth the price and in no way overpriced for what you get.

You may be lucky to find a slightly used MacCat for sale, I was. I was able to get one, used once, for $65.

- JT

Toolshed
01-17-2008, 08:51
Guide gear is the cheapest - Comes in Camo for Stealth.

Strategic
01-17-2008, 11:01
Well, if you want cheap(er) and good there's really only one solution that's reliable; make your own. I will say that tarps, even cat cut ones, are relatively easy projects. I notice you asked this question over on Hammockforums too, so I'm sure you getting the same answer from a lot of folks there. Check out BlackBishop's "Black your own Cat!" site for the best instructions out there on making a cat cut tarp, including a nifty Excel file for automatically calculating and laying out the cat cuts. I'll be making mine as soon as I can afford the "fabric" I really want to make it from...Cuben. I'm going not just for more coverage but seriously lighter weight while I'm at it (by my calculations, I should be able to get a tarp somewhere between a MacCat standard and deluxe in size for about 4.5oz, including lines and no-see-um skins, which is a 4.25oz weight savings over the original HH tarp.)

hopefulhiker
01-17-2008, 11:34
Campmor has a cheaper silnylon tarp.....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-17-2008, 11:49
I have a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp - $85 from Campmor - excellent coverage and performance - weights 19 ozs. They also come in 8' x 10'

Alligator
01-17-2008, 14:18
I have a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp - $85 from Campmor - excellent coverage and performance - weights 19 ozs. They also come in 8' x 10'I have used the 8X10 with my hammock and it was fine. I had issues with my first hammock, a Byer, but that was due to the line configuration. I think you might want to consider though something cut a little better if it is to serve a more dedicated role to your hammock.

Making a cat cut is one of three projects I'd like to get to with the sewing machine.

pure_mahem
01-17-2008, 15:49
Guide gear is the cheapest - Comes in Camo for Stealth.
They no longer stock the camo versions we've all been acustomed to. They only carry a white version now and for how long who knows. but every once in a while you see someone post one for sale so keep your eyes open.

sloopjonboswell
01-17-2008, 20:02
i bought a tarp from a hardware store in damascus for less than five bucks at the hardware store about 6'x9'. worked good enough for the next 4-5 months.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-17-2008, 20:34
i bought a tarp from a hardware store in damascus for less than five bucks at the hardware store about 6'x9'. worked good enough for the next 4-5 months.I used the old blue tarps for years and they are very durable and effective - and h-e-a-v-y

Tinker
01-17-2008, 20:41
Get a flat tarp for your hammock. You can seal the ends more effectively. Use mini-biners to hold the two flaps together. Stake the ends to the ground with one stake. A 10x12 tarp will give you all the protection you'll need. Others will envy you.