PDA

View Full Version : for vets and disabled vets

johnny quest
01-17-2008, 09:55
has any vet or even better...disabled vet thru hiked and experienced the availability of v.a. emergency medical care? i called the v.a. and asked about availability and i couldnt get an answer.

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 10:06
VA medical centers are few and far between. They aren't near the trail.

Blue Jay
01-17-2008, 10:16
has any vet or even better...disabled vet thru hiked and experienced the availability of v.a. emergency medical care? i called the v.a. and asked about availability and i couldnt get an answer.

If they are smart, and most are, they avoid VA hospitals. There is one near where I live. There has been a steady decrease in funding all during the present war. Vet benefit cutting during war time never happened before and is absolutly outrageous now. Once you are shipped home all you get is lip service. Some of you will refuse to believe this but check it out.

johnny quest
01-17-2008, 10:16
right. i should have asked the question better. im wondering less about full fledged va centers and more about facilities near the trail who would treat vets in that system. i know here in texas little clinics are popping up all over that are somehow partnered up. like i said, the two women i talked to at the v.a. either didnt understand or didnt care.

johnny quest
01-17-2008, 10:19
bluejay, i have no love for the v.a. and their office folk but i have to say for every horror story about v.a. medical care...and yes there are those...i know lots of vets quietly getting good care here where i live. lets not paint with too broad a brush.
that being said, i cant stand the v.a. administrative types.

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 10:21
I imagine you are talking about care for a service related condition that the VA has recognized? Which would be different than say a retired vet that has Tricare and wants to be seen under that.

Old Hillwalker
01-17-2008, 10:26
THe VA Hospital in White River Junction, VT is what? Five miles from the trail?

johnny quest
01-17-2008, 10:57
no, rock, actually i was referring to general care. the term tricare is unknown to me. supposedly if you are in need of emergency medical care you can show your va picture id and file. that being said, one doctor at a local hospital that i go to rotary club with told me he gets turned down so often by the v.a. that half the time the hospital doesnt even file.

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 11:05
Ohhhh. I've not worked through the VA on anything yet - still trying to get my rating from them.

Tricare is the medical insurance system the military uses. When you retire you are still eligible to stay with Tricare. So if I go to a hospital I tell them my insurance company is Tricare. But it is a managed health plan so there is rules. For emergency care it isn't an issue, Tricare pays. But for urgent care (care where you need to be seen as soon as possible but doesn't risk life, limb, or eyesight) you gotta call back to your primary care manager (mine is here in Maryville) and get a referral to the local provider where you are at that point. So say I have a sprained ankle in NY, I gotta call my doctor here and explain that I am in NY and need a referral for them to authorize the doctor visit in NY. Then Tricare will cover it - otherwise I am stuck paying the bill myself. But if I were in NY and had a heart attack no referral would be needed.

johnny quest
01-17-2008, 11:43
i may have answered my own question on the va thing. this site shows clinics and such state by state. when i get some down time from tracking ufo's here in the heartland i will compile a list of availability along the trail and post it.

Painted Turtle
01-17-2008, 11:44
I am retired and have tried to use TRI-Care a few times and the local Doctors (receptionist) look at me like I am speaking a unknown language. A friend of mine who is also retired and living in Wilmington, NC loves it and has had no trouble with it. So I guess what I am trying to say it is pot luck. The nearer you are to a active base the more likely you are going to find someone that knows about TRI-Care not that they will honor it as was already pointed out. Also as far as coverage goes there are different plans. GOOD LUCK

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2008, 11:45
Ohhhh. I've not worked through the VA on anything yet - still trying to get my rating from them.

Tricare is the medical insurance system the military uses. When you retire you are still eligible to stay with Tricare. So if I go to a hospital I tell them my insurance company is Tricare. But it is a managed health plan so there is rules. For emergency care it isn't an issue, Tricare pays. But for urgent care (care where you need to be seen as soon as possible but doesn't risk life, limb, or eyesight) you gotta call back to your primary care manager (mine is here in Maryville) and get a referral to the local provider where you are at that point. So say I have a sprained ankle in NY, I gotta call my doctor here and explain that I am in NY and need a referral for them to authorize the doctor visit in NY. Then Tricare will cover it - otherwise I am stuck paying the bill myself. But if I were in NY and had a heart attack no referral would be needed.
This was what I did for my Lyme disease, no problems.

Painted Turtle
01-17-2008, 11:47
PS if you are interested there are several web sites on TRI-care if you do not already have them and are interested I will dig them up for you.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-17-2008, 12:11
VA medical centers are few and far between. They aren't near the trail.
There's one in Asheville NC

Furlough
01-17-2008, 12:44
I am retired and have tried to use TRI-Care a few times and the local Doctors (receptionist) look at me like I am speaking a unknown language. A friend of mine who is also retired and living in Wilmington, NC loves it and has had no trouble with it. So I guess what I am trying to say it is pot luck. The nearer you are to a active base the more likely you are going to find someone that knows about TRI-Care not that they will honor it as was already pointed out. Also as far as coverage goes there are different plans. GOOD LUCK

My 70 year old Dad is retired from the Navy and both he and my Mom have been able to use Tri-Care for Life with great success - to include some very major surgery for my Mom. They speak very highly of Tri-Care for Life. They live in South Central Va, maybe the program works better in the South. Assuming the Army finally approves my retirement I'll try and remember to give an update on this from a retirees perspective.

Furlough

superman
01-17-2008, 15:05
I've been service connected since 1968. Before my AT hike in 2000 I got a map from the American Legion that showed all the VAMCs, just in case. I made notes from it of there locations in my thru hiker handbook plus the associated clinics. In the early part of the hike we took turns going through each other’s gear to see how we might make our packs lighter. One of the young men who went through my gear tore out all the pages of my thru hiker companion that we'd already been to or didn't need. Those pages included all the information about the VA medical facilities and the names, addresses and phone numbers of all the people who offered me a place to stay along the AT. I wasn't too happy when I realized what had been thrown away...but I didn't need any of it. It all worked out fine.

If you're going to be one...be a big red one.

Frosty
01-17-2008, 17:11
..i know lots of vets quietly getting good care here where i live. lets not paint with too broad a brush.Lucky you. That isn't the case most everywhere else, where funding has been cut, facilities closed, and staffs cut. You cannot find too broad a brush with which to criticize the VA, IMO. They are an insult to the men and women who willingly went into harm's way for their country.

Frosty
01-17-2008, 17:13
If you're going to be one...be a big red one. In the 25th Inf, we used to say the Big Red One bites big red ones. Not sure what you guys said about us :D

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2008, 17:36
This is gonna open up a can of worms, but it needs to be said:

There is probably no more vocal supporter of American military personnel (past and present) on this website than myself, and I am grateful to these men and women every day of my life.

That being said, I've met plenty of folks hiking on the A.T. who claimed they were receiving disability payments as high as 100%.

Which begs the question: If someone is claiming to be 100% physically disabled, and disabled to the point that they need financial support for the rest of their lives from theri fellow citizens, should these people be out thru-hiking?

In other words, I've encountered people with 100% disability status who seemed fine. Certainly fine enough to backpack for six months at a stretch.

Any thoughts?

(And I've also seen retired firefighters and cops out there who were also hiking while "disabled" as well as people who had received large insurance settlements, so this post is NOT directed solely at military people).

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 17:41
This is gonna open up a can of worms, but it needs to be said:

There is probably no more vocal supporter of American military personnel (past and present) on this website than myself, and I am grateful to these men and women every day of my life.

That being said, I've met plenty of folks hiking on the A.T. who claimed they were receiving disability payments as high as 100%.

Which begs the question: If someone is claiming to be 100% physically disabled, and disabled to the point that they need financial support for the rest of their lives from theri fellow citizens, should these people be out thru-hiking?

In other words, I've encountered people with 100% disability status who seemed fine. Certainly fine enough to backpack for six months at a stretch.

Any thoughts?

(And I've also seen retired firefighters and cops out there who were also hiking while "disabled" as well as people who had received large insurance settlements, so this post is NOT directed solely at military people).

i know and have met guys on 100% doing the trail. i don't understand it either.

Tin Man
01-17-2008, 17:48
In the private sector, I have heard of instances where insurance company investigators actually tail and photograph people on disability. They will stop payment if you are caught doing things that indicate you are not qualified to receive payment.

A-Train
01-17-2008, 17:49
I guess you'd have to look into the system to find out how people are being designated 100% disabled when they're capable of walking all day and carrying 30 lbs on their back. Obviously this system is failing if people are allowed to squirm around the rules.

Painted Turtle
01-17-2008, 17:59
My 70 year old Dad is retired from the Navy and both he and my Mom have been able to use Tri-Care for Life with great success - to include some very major surgery for my Mom. They speak very highly of Tri-Care for Life. They live in South Central Va, maybe the program works better in the South. Assuming the Army finally approves my retirement I'll try and remember to give an update on this from a retirees perspective.

Furlough

"Tri-Care For Life", is the top of the line policy and it is very good. That is what my friend in NC has. When you retire you get Tri-Care Basic. You can up grade it for a cost. At 65 it becomes Tri-Care for life and it is free.

superman
01-17-2008, 18:05
We had a number of joint operations with the 25th ID. I remember Attleboro and Cedar Falls in the following areas: Iron Triangle, Michelin Rubber Plantation and Dau Tieng. The only unit I rember specifically was the Wolfhounds. No, I don't recall anyone in the 1st ID calling other units names. Y'all knew we were the best.

Painted Turtle
01-17-2008, 18:14
Ok I got out my retirement info on TRI-care. There are three policies:
1) Tricare Standard.... which is free on retirement
2) Tricare Extra....... Small cost $300 per year.. For retiree
3) Tricare Prime...... Small Cost $460 per year...For retiree

The term Tricare for life is all incompassing. My friend in NC tells me he has the Prime because he is over 65 enrollment fee is waivered.

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 18:37
I spend 5 days a week volunteering at the VA Hospital and I get as frustrated and mad as anyone about things; however, those of you crying about the VA Health Care System should stop whining and try and do your part to make it better.

It's obvious that alot of you don't know anything about the VA Disability Rating System either. A Disability Rating Percentage is awarded for injurys and conditions brought on as a direct result of military service. These percentages are awarded based upon a complete and thorough investigation of the Service Member's active duty, civilain and VA health records, and in most cases, take years to complete. In most cases, after years of investigation and review, the claim is turned down. Right now, The VA Board of Appeals is backlogged over 3 years, and it's not going to get any better any time soon.

Also, unless the Disability Rating is "Permanent and Total", the Service Member's case is reviewed every 3 years to determine if the injury or condition has improved, and if it has, the disability payments stop. However, in the time that Veteran's receive disability payments, they can do anything they want to do, up to and including hiking the Appalachian Trail. VA Disability is not like civilian disability insurance nor is it subject to the same scrutiny; therefore, a Veteran isn't expected to sit around and do nothing. A Veteran on Disability can do anything that their disability allows them to do.

VA Disability may sound like a free ride to some you but trust me when I say that getting a VA Disability is very difficult and isn't handed out lightly or easily. I spoke with a young Army Engineer this week who had to have his right leg amputated below the knee, and he is only getting 40% Disability and will have to fight the VA for years to get more, and I doubt if this poor young man will ever get to hike the Appalachian Trail.

Just Jim

superman
01-17-2008, 18:50
In the 25th Inf, we used to say the Big Red One bites big red ones. Not sure what you guys said about us :D

What I'll say about you now is "welcome home."

Frosty
01-17-2008, 18:51
We had a number of joint operations with the 25th ID. I remember Attleboro and Cedar Falls in the following areas: Iron Triangle, Michelin Rubber Plantation and Dau Tieng. The only unit I rember specifically was the Wolfhounds. No, I don't recall anyone in the 1st ID calling other units names. Y'all knew we were the best.I spent most of my time in Tay Ninh. That and Cu Chi. Was assigned temporarily to the 1st (I think... 2nd?) of the 27th (Wolfhounds) as a truck driver. Those guys were nuts. My sgt was with the 1st Inf his first tour, and we razzed him no end for it, when we weren't razzing him about Moundsville, WV, where he was from. He was a pretty cool guy. He was 22 years old, ancient to all the rest of us.

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2008, 18:53
I never mentioned anything about getting a "free ride."

All I said was that I've encountered people on the Trail who were allegedly
100% physically disabled.

Anyone that can successfully backpack for 24-27 weeks over rough errain and in all kinds of weather is not, in my opinion, 100% disabled.

I also appreciate that it is difficult and time consuming for some folks to get the benefits they deserve.

But has it occurred to you that some folks are getting delays with their payments or are having difficulty resolving their cases because there are some folks out there collecting benefits that might not be entirely justified?

I salute anyone who was injured or who suffered in the service of their country. These folks deserve our thanks and if needed, our assistance.

But being 100 per cent physically disabled and at the same time being able to engage in a grueling six-month long-distance hike......well, I have a problem understanding this.

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 18:56
Just a quick class on how the VA rating system works. Lets say I have tinnitus, PTSD, chronic migraines, a trick elbow, and my feet are shot after 22 years of service. The VA looks at my migraines and determines that the frequency and how much they inhibit my ability to work normal hours at most jobs would make me ineligible for 30% of the jobs out there - that makes the migraines 30% rating. Then the tinnitus is annoying and limits me a little, but most jobs it won't stop you at - so that is only a 10% rating. The shot feet limit my ability to stand around all day on a job, so there is another 10%. The trick elbow they decide isn't limiting enough but make a note that it is service related and actually give me a 0% rating for that. Then finally they look at the PTSD and decide that I don't work and play well with others anymore - but that there are a lot of jobs I can still do where I work alone, so I can still do 80% of the jobs out there and it is a 20% rating.

Now 30+20+10+10+-=70% right? Nope...

Take the top one, 30%, so I am still 70% good. Then take 20% from that 70 which is 14% - that makes me 56% good. Then take 10% from that and I am 50% good. Then finally take 10% from that which is 5% and I am now only 45% good.

That means I am now 55% disabled right? Nope, that means I am 60% disabled. The VA always rounds it to the nearest 10%. So when I hear someone say they are 75% disabled I know they are full of ****.

There are all kinds of other rules with this. I know a guy that had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, a reconstructed knee, and some other minor stuff and got a 70% rating at retirement. Some folks campaign for it, some take whatever the VA gives 'em and goes on with it. I'll also add that a rating can be temporary or permanent. So say I claim I am nuts because of the war, well I might get better. So the VA may give me a temporary rating of 100% so I can work through my issues - but then I gotta get re-evaluated. On the other hand I may have lost a leg, and they ain't growing back - so that rating would be permanent.

Frosty
01-17-2008, 18:59
those of you crying about the VA Health Care System should stop whining and try and do your part to make it better. No, sir, not me. I have no desire to butt my head against a brick wall. I was RA, glad to enlist, still proud of it, volunteered for Viet-nam, extended my tour, no regrets. But no way am I going off to tilt at that windmill.

I have the utmost admiration for those who dedicate their lives against social injustice, but it just ain't me. I'd just get frustrated and stressed out and die quicker.

BTW, I'm neither whining nor crying, just observing what I see concerning the VA Administration. The VA treatment (in general, Johnny Quest) of vets is unconscionable.

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 19:04

Anyone that can successfully backpack for 24-27 weeks over rough errain and in all kinds of weather is not, in my opinion, 100% disabled.

I also appreciate that it is difficult and time consuming for some folks to get the benefits they deserve.

But has it occurred to you that some folks are getting delays with their payments or are having difficulty resolving their cases because there are some folks out there collecting benefits that might not be entirely justified?

I salute anyone who was injured or who suffered in the service of their country. These folks deserve our thanks and if needed, our assistance.

But being 100 per cent physically disabled and at the same time being able to engage in a grueling six-month long-distance hike......well, I have a problem understanding this.
I have a problem understanding it too. The honest answer can come in four ways:

1. Enough issues that they all added up to 100% rating. It is possible but not likely.

2. The person is full of **** and is a liar.

3. The person did some campaigning and working the system. I have heard of this. Sometimes this is also known as malingering.

4. There is something in the rules that got the guy there. One I have heard of is heart attack. The VA rep I was working with at Ft Knox described this guy that got out with high blood pressure, then a few years later had a heart attack. The VA determined since he didn't have high blood pressure when he went in, he had it when he came out - that it was service related. Then the heart attack was related to his high blood pressure. After the heart attack the VA changed his rating to 100% which was annoying to the guy because now he legally cannot work and apparently he loved his job. Now in this guys case lets say he had a heart attack and the bureaucracy gave him 100%, but then he went vegan, got in shape, and ended up hiking as a way to stay in shape - well it is possible, but highly unlikely.

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 19:07

Jack,

The whole process is very complicated and there are cases where the Veteran's 100% Disabilty Rating isn't necessarily for something overtly physical; or the 100% Rating is for a series of conditions which allow the veteran to perform physically. Part of my own Disability Rating is for hearing Loss (30%) and PTSD (40%) which don't preclude me from hiking or doing anything else physical.

It's not a great system, but it's all we have right now. I would expect some major changes is the coming years as the war comes to a close.

Just Jim

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2008, 19:11
Jim:

In my original post, I was at pains to state that I was referring to PHYSICAL impairments and disabilities only, and NOT to non-physical claims such as PTSD, etc.

My thanks to Jim and Rock for their useful and informed comments on this subject.

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 19:20
Jim:

In my original post, I was at pains to state that I was referring to PHYSICAL impairments and disabilities only, and NOT to non-physical claims such as PTSD, etc.

My thanks to Jim and Rock for their useful and informed comments on this subject.

No Sweat Jack! Like I said, it's not a perfect system, and some people do slip through. As Rock stated in a previous post, some Veteran's do play the system and get VA Rating's for questionable ailments and injuries. However, their time receiving VA Benefits is usualy short lived.

berninbush
01-17-2008, 19:21
I work for Goodwill and am learning a lot about disabilities and the way they affect people's ability to work. We run a "sheltered workshop" that employs people who can't get competitive employment (i.e. a regular job). When you meet the folks who work there, some of them have obvious conditions... and with others, you wonder "why are they here?". They have no physical disabilities and seem pretty "normal" when you talk to them. But what I'm told is that these folks really can't hold a regular job because, even though they are pleasant and good workers most of the time, they have mental health conditions that cause periodic "meltdowns" that would generally get them fired.

So... you just never know. On the other hand... yeah, I would share some of your skepticism about folks who are hiking the trail on Uncle Sam's dime.

EDIT: Oh, Jack, just saw your comment about "physical only." And yes, that WOULD make me skeptical!

superman
01-17-2008, 19:26
I spent most of my time in Tay Ninh. That and Cu Chi. Was assigned temporarily to the 1st (I think... 2nd?) of the 27th (Wolfhounds) as a truck driver. Those guys were nuts. My sgt was with the 1st Inf his first tour, and we razzed him no end for it, when we weren't razzing him about Moundsville, WV, where he was from. He was a pretty cool guy. He was 22 years old, ancient to all the rest of us.

Were you trucking them out for an operation? The Wolfhounds were good people. In Attleboro the 25th tried to take on a huge enemy force. It was kind of like the mouse climbing up the elephants tail with rape on its mind. Of course they called for the Big Bad One. The 1st Div number 2 man air lifted many battalions to join your people across that river. Big numbers were put up. You guys didn't even send a "thank You" card. I'm still waiting for the card and the Thanksgiving turkey dinner that Johnson said everyman in Vietnam got.:D

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 19:27
I work for Goodwill and am learning a lot about disabilities and the way they affect people's ability to work. We run a "sheltered workshop" that employs people who can't get competitive employment (i.e. a regular job). When you meet the folks who work there, some of them have obvious conditions... and with others, you wonder "why are they here?". They have no physical disabilities and seem pretty "normal" when you talk to them. But what I'm told is that these folks really can't hold a regular job because, even though they are pleasant and good workers most of the time, they have mental health conditions that cause periodic "meltdowns" that would generally get them fired.

So... you just never know. On the other hand... yeah, I would share some of your skepticism about folks who are hiking the trail on Uncle Sam's dime.

EDIT: Oh, Jack, just saw your comment about "physical only." And yes, that WOULD make me skeptical!

I saw your Program in action last year when I was in Louisville, KY......it's really helping alot of people. :)

Just Jim

superman
01-17-2008, 19:43
Jack,

The whole process is very complicated and there are cases where the Veteran's 100% Disabilty Rating isn't necessarily for something overtly physical; or the 100% Rating is for a series of conditions which allow the veteran to perform physically. Part of my own Disability Rating is for hearing Loss (30%) and PTSD (40%) which don't preclude me from hiking or doing anything else physical.

It's not a great system, but it's all we have right now. I would expect some major changes is the coming years as the war comes to a close.

Just Jim

It's much more difficult today to get services at a VAMC. It wasn't that long ago that veterans of the previous wars could receive medical care and medication with no co pay. That did not require a service connected condition. It was available for anyone who had served more than 90 day in the service. When those changes were made it eliminated a lot of vets. Then they didn't have big enough numbers of vets to justify many services. When services were cut based on the numbers more vets with drew from the VA. We were in a downward spiral of shrinking numbers, cutbacks in services and the closing of VAMCs. That was where we were at when this war started. In the last 40 years every time they have claimed to be refocusing benefits it has simply meant more cut backs of needed services.

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2008, 19:54
Damn government.

BigCat
01-17-2008, 20:01
To answer Johnny Quest's original question: A veteran who is already enrolled in the VA system can get emergency care anywhere. There are some conditions that can be found here: http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/FAQs/ECFAQ.asp

I am a victim of one of those VA horror stories (in the category of surgical instruments left in body for four years) but I have no choice but to use them for my health care needs.

Just Jim: I wanted to thank you for volunteering with the VA. Ironically, it was a volunteer patient advocate that finally convinced the medical staff that I wasn't just whining, that they had really screwed up. I'll never forget that guy (even though I forgot his name :-)

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 20:03
It's much more difficult today to get services at a VAMC. It wasn't that long ago that veterans of the previous wars could receive medical care and medication with no co pay. That did not require a service connected condition. It was available for anyone who had served more than 90 day in the service. When those changes were made it eliminated a lot of vets. Then they didn't have big enough numbers of vets to justify many services. When services were cut based on the numbers more vets with drew from the VA. We were in a downward spiral of shrinking numbers, cutbacks in services and the closing of VAMCs. That was where we were at when this war started. In the last 40 years every time they have claimed to be refocusing benefits it has simply meant more cut backs of needed services.

I have to question some of your comments and information. It is true that the VA does now have a co-pay for medication for some Veterans; however, that is just for Veteran's who have private insurance and/or who make a certain amount of money each year.

As you may know, when a veteran comes to a VA Hospital for care, he/she has to undergo a "MEANS" test to determine their financial situation, and if the Veteran's annual income meets certain standards, then the Veteran WILL indeed receive medical care and medication with NO co-pay nor is a Service Connected Disability Required. As a matter of fact, a Pension for Non-Service Connected Veterans has been established for poor and indigent Veteran's who served atleast 1 day during War time.

Further, as far as VA Hospital closings are concerned, NONE have been closed. It's is true that 15 VA hospitals were put on the "Chopping Block"; however, when the proposal reached Congress, it died a quick death in Committee Hearings.

Just Jim

GPK
01-17-2008, 20:10
I'm a vet - not retired thoughI proudly served my time - took my lumps and got out in 72. I got through college with the help of the GI-Bill.
I use the VA system out of the Littleton, NH hospital for regular check-ups. For serious stuff they send you to White River Junction and for more serious stuff they send you to Boston.

Look Here : http://www1.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp?isFlash=1

and you can do a facility search state by state.

superman
01-17-2008, 20:32
I have to question some of your comments and information. It is true that the VA does now have a co-pay for medication for some Veterans; however, that is just for Veteran's who have private insurance and/or who make a certain amount of money each year.

As you may know, when a veteran comes to a VA Hospital for care, he/she has to undergo a "MEANS" test to determine their financial situation, and if the Veteran's annual income meets certain standards, then the Veteran WILL indeed receive medical care and medication with NO co-pay nor is a Service Connected Disability Required. As a matter of fact, a Pension for Non-Service Connected Veterans has been established for poor and indigent Veteran's who served atleast 1 day during War time.

Further, as far as VA Hospital closings are concerned, NONE have been closed. It's is true that 15 VA hospitals were put on the "Chopping Block"; however, when the proposal reached Congress, it died a quick death in Committee Hearings.

Just Jim

That was a fast re-cap of 40 years of experience with the VA in a few sentences. Yes, now they have a means test. That was not always the case. Anything newer than 20 years I consider recent. Yes, the VAMCs didn't close but they were very close to it. The downward spiral was only checked (probably temporary) by the current war. I don't know how many years of experience you have with the VA but when I entered the VA system the biggest complaint was that the VA held patients longer than necessary. I can give a history of the VA and the medical care in much greater detail but I wasn't trying to do that. If you adjust the veteran benefit package of today with what it was in the 50s it's greatly reduced. The VA treated big numbers of veterans from WWII, Korea and Vietnam. It was damn hard to find a parking place even near a VAMC. As the numbers of veterans have been reduced the parking areas have been adjusted accordingly. When they had paper systems they treated massive numbers. Over the years they have kept up grading the computer system, which was intended to take up less space, yet they have systematically converted more space that had been used to treat patients into office space for the computers.
These are just observations made over a long time.

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 20:55
That was a fast re-cap of 40 years of experience with the VA in a few sentences. Yes, now they have a means test. That was not always the case. Anything newer than 20 years I consider recent. Yes, the VAMCs didn't close but they were very close to it. The downward spiral was only checked (probably temporary) by the current war. I don't know how many years of experience you have with the VA but when I entered the VA system the biggest complaint was that the VA held patients longer than necessary. I can give a history of the VA and the medical care in much greater detail but I wasn't trying to do that. If you adjust the veteran benefit package of today with what it was in the 50s it's greatly reduced. The VA treated big numbers of veterans from WWII, Korea and Vietnam. It was damn hard to find a parking place even near a VAMC. As the numbers of veterans have been reduced the parking areas have been adjusted accordingly. When they had paper systems they treated massive numbers. Over the years they have kept up grading the computer system, which was intended to take up less space, yet they have systematically converted more space that had been used to treat patients into office space for the computers.
These are just observations made over a long time.

I wish I could have experienced the more simple times of the VA as you have, and if I put myself in your shoes, I guess the VA probably appears to be just one large faceless computer system. I certainly don't have your years of experience, but I do know your frustration. It really gets to me sometimes and I just want to walk away. Luckily I have the Appalachian Trail to fall back on......as long as some of you don't mind if I hike with my VA Disability money!:eek:

Just Jim

kirbysf
01-17-2008, 21:29
Well said Sgt Rock. As a Army retiree I do have tri-care and your instructions were rlght on. Being a disabled vet adds nothing or subtracks nothing from my medical care. However, I can walk into a VA hospital if needed. I plan to thru-hike this year and I hope my 64 year old body holds up.

kirbysf
01-17-2008, 21:35
I question the validity of a 100% disabled vet thru-hiking the AT.

kirbysf
01-17-2008, 21:38
Yes tri-care for life is free at age 65 only is you pay for medicare part B.

Just a Hiker
01-17-2008, 21:39

Validity of What?

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 21:43

yeah really. i'm 10% disabled cuz of my knee. had major damage and surgery and was booted out after a long recovery. i feel a little guilty. hence no friggin poles. 99.9% of hikers don't know what a "bad" knee/knees is. just weenies is all :)

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 21:46
Validity of What?

validity of someone collecting 100% plus cuz of a mental condition that they had long before entering the military. i've had more than a few counsel me on how to work the system to get cash and bennies. lotsa straight up fraud in the VA

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 21:53
Well I'll inject this. I have had people tell me they were vets, but after a few minutes I can tell they were making it up. Another thing I also found was a great deal of people that were in and kicked out that would have "the story", which is how they hit some officer and got kicked out for that. I've been around a few days and I can tell you I've rarely ever seen anything remotely like the rash of officer beating I hear about from these guys. To add to that, when I was a recruiter we had a book that told us exactly why a person was discharged by looking at their DD214, and everyone that ever gave me "the story" was a liar. One was a bed wetter - I can imagine to him being an NCO kicked out for hitting some dumb LT sounds better at bars than telling folks he pissed on the guy one bunk down every night for the first two weeks he was in.

Then there is the rash of "I was in Special Forces" people I have met. Again, most of them convince me in a few minutes they are making that up. If there were as many former operators out there as people claim to be, their would be legions of SF and Seals in the ranks.

And I'll finish that off by going back to what I said in another post. There are guys that claim to have one thing or another from the service or whatever. I think in some regards they think it gets them respect or a pass on some things by folks. Some of the "Disabled Vets" I've talked to over the years are usually lying through what teeth they have left. Some never even served, let alone have some huge disability.

So what I'll end this with is saying this: If it sounds fishy it very well could be. Just because someone said they did something or are something or do something is just that - talk. You have to decide if it is worth getting bothered over it.

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2008, 21:56
Sgt Rock our paths must have come very close together, because I believe I've talked to these same people as you.:D

OregonHiker
01-17-2008, 22:20
validity of someone collecting 100% plus cuz of a mental condition that they had long before entering the military. i've had more than a few counsel me on how to work the system to get cash and bennies. lotsa straight up fraud in the VA

Because they feared you had a mental condition?

Shutterbug
01-18-2008, 01:23
Jim:

I am only familiar with one case, but perhaps it offers some insight. I had a friend who suffered liver damage due to military service -- contracted a water borne disease. He was a Navy Seal. He was rated "disabled" by the VA, but had no outward symptoms. His physical activities were not restricted, but he died at age 58. Some disabilities don't show, but they are very real.

Zzzzdyd
01-18-2008, 02:33
I am only familiar with one case, but perhaps it offers some insight. I had a friend who suffered liver damage due to military service -- contracted a water borne disease. He was a Navy Seal. He was rated "disabled" by the VA, but had no outward symptoms. His physical activities were not restricted, but he died at age 58. Some disabilities don't show, but they are very real.

As a former Army Medic, RVN 65-66, I would like to thank you kind sir !

To many Viet-Nam vets have had way to many one car accidents and for the most part they looked and acted ok right up till the time they crashed !

fiddlehead
01-18-2008, 06:05
There's a big VA hospital in Lebanon PA, not far from the trail around Swatara SP (2 or 3 days north of Duncannon)

It is the closest one to me although there are numerous satellite offices in the local hospitals that do the routine stuff. But for emergencies, i'm not sure, but think you may have to go to a VA hospital.

I must say i've been very happy with the program. All i do is get a physical every year and they are very thorough.

The only medical emergency i had since i got out of active duty (1972) was when i was travelling in Australia once and Thailand once. Australia took care of me for free and Thailand was about 5% of the bill it would've been in the USA (Had surgery and was in for 6 days for around $3,000 total cost)

Of course, it would've been free at the VA hospital but maybe i would've had to wait in line. (not knocking the program, but maybe i am one of the lucky ones who happens to be from an area where they provide the service that was promised to us when we joined)

I will say that i had to go to the hospital once out of 3 throughhikes and Rutland Gen. Hospital was very good to me as far as cost goes when i told them i was a hiker. (brown recluse spider bite, ending up costing me about $300 in '95)

Jack maybe those guys had mental problems. Not sure who you are talking about of if i know them, just guessing. I know i've had friends who are still ******ed up from Viet Nam. they saw a lot of ***** and were hurt both mentally and physically although they don't show much of the physical problems that i see.

fiddlehead
01-18-2008, 06:19
sorry, wrote that last post after only reading the first page. Didn't notice there were 2 more pages of answers and that the original post has sort of turned into something else. (Where the guy could get VA help near the trail)

anyway, regard that above post as an answer to the OP and to Jack's original question please.

Appears to be some thread drift in to whether veterans who are disabled are entiltled to whatever. IMO

superman
01-18-2008, 06:45
It seems like a strange twist to this thread to try to second-guess what a veteran is qualified for. From my experience, the VA system pulls guys through every knothole in the fence before a disability is granted. With the level of proof the VA requires the question should be posed in the opposite direction. If you’re talking about telling what information the guys need to supply in advance as playing the system then I guess it is. The VA disability system is like a maze and most vets have no idea how to deal with it. I tell guys to get their complete 201 file, including medical records. They need to have every record of treatment by any source. They need to have a medical opinion that supports the medical condition. Most important is they need help from someone who knows what he's doing to properly submit it to the VA. If you don't do these things it can result in years of appeals or never getting the benefit that they earned and are entitled to. The VA does not pass out disabilities to BS. Each case is looked at with a magnifying glass and validated. I knew a guy who gave the date of a combat action off by one day and the claim was denied. The mistake was corrected but it took more time.
If guys are getting false disabilities it would be a damn small number in my humble opinion. All my uses of the word guy can also be read as male or female.

SGT Rock
01-18-2008, 08:31
As a former Army Medic, RVN 65-66, I would like to thank you kind sir !

To many Viet-Nam vets have had way to many one car accidents and for the most part they looked and acted ok right up till the time they crashed !
Don't want to get off on too morbid a tangent but I get the daily incident messages and we are losing a lot of young men and women this time around to motorcycle accidents where they are the only vehicle involved. Some may be a "way out" but based on my experience I tend to think it is a combination of:

1. A lot of extra money in saved combat pay going to a fast bike.

2. Not a lot of experience on a fast bike.

3. Trying to get that adrenaline rush again. Almost nothing on this side of the pond gets it going like being blown up.

johnny quest
01-18-2008, 10:33
wow. go out of town just one day and a thread takes off on ya!

i find myself agreeing with several of you who would appear to be on different sides of the same fence.
rock is right about fakers. seen them. theres a guy building a very expensive house near my mom who says both he and his wife are 100 percent disabled. he seems fine to me, out there laying his own foundation.
i think there are vets who work the system as there are people in every system who do that.
i have my own hate issues witht he va...but they didnt relate to medical care...because i havent recieved any from them yet and hope to only fall back on them if i have to.
someone talked about a vet being reevaluated every 3 years....wellll... that must only be if you ask for it. ive never asked for it and ive never been reevaluated.

Toolshed
01-18-2008, 10:33
I always thought I would have VA coverage when I enlisted. Now that they have changed it, with the 7 (8?) levels of eligibility, I now know I will probably never be eligible.

woodsy
01-18-2008, 10:45
I got bumped out of the system quite a few years ago. I had only used the VA hospital a couple times over a period of 20 years or so for minor stuff . Because of not keeping up to date with paperwork and not having service connected disability, I lost any future use of VA hospital. I wasn't notified of these update changes personally but the word was put out through media sources. A case of U snooze, you loose. The times I did make use of the system I was satisfied with the service, sometimes better than civilian hospitals when it came to diagnosis.
BTW, if you are in Maine and elegible for VA hospital services, Togus in Augusta has a decent reputation.

DSoTM: I always thought I would have VA coverage when I enlisted. Now that they have changed it, with the 7 (8?) levels of eligibility, I now know I will probably never be eligible.
Ditto

Just a Hiker
01-18-2008, 14:51
It seems like a strange twist to this thread to try to second-guess what a veteran is qualified for. From my experience, the VA system pulls guys through every knothole in the fence before a disability is granted. With the level of proof the VA requires the question should be posed in the opposite direction. If you’re talking about telling what information the guys need to supply in advance as playing the system then I guess it is. The VA disability system is like a maze and most vets have no idea how to deal with it. I tell guys to get their complete 201 file, including medical records. They need to have every record of treatment by any source. They need to have a medical opinion that supports the medical condition. Most important is they need help from someone who knows what he's doing to properly submit it to the VA. If you don't do these things it can result in years of appeals or never getting the benefit that they earned and are entitled to. The VA does not pass out disabilities to BS. Each case is looked at with a magnifying glass and validated. I knew a guy who gave the date of a combat action off by one day and the claim was denied. The mistake was corrected but it took more time.
If guys are getting false disabilities it would be a damn small number in my humble opinion. All my uses of the word guy can also be read as male or female.

Agreed. VA Benefit Fraud is very rare. A person would have to have the ability to create lots and lots of false documentation and also be able to somehow place these fake documents and X-Rays at the Medical Facilities that they are claimed to have originated from. VA Regional Offices are more sophisicated than that. Then there is the Disability Evaluation Physical in which doctors are trained to look for BS.

The fraud is certainly rare, but I know there are people who lie about it. If you are hearing "The Story" and you are skeptical of a veteran who claims to be 100% Disabled, all you have to do is ask for their DD Form 2765. All 100% Disabled Veterans receive a DOD Identification card (DD Form 2765) after they are awarded their Disability Rating, not to mention they should have a Department of Veterans Affairs ID with the words "Service Connected" underneath their photo. All one has to do is ask for those 2 pieces of Identification, and if they don't have them or haven't heard of them, then they are more than likely full of crap.

Just Jim

Furlough
01-18-2008, 17:14
"Tri-Care For Life", is the top of the line policy and it is very good. That is what my friend in NC has. When you retire you get Tri-Care Basic. You can up grade it for a cost. At 65 it becomes Tri-Care for life and it is free.

Thanks for that info. It may well be worth the cost to upgrade upon retirement as at this point after 23 years in the Army I have taken to calling Tri-Care - Tri to Find Care.

Furlough

oruoja
01-20-2008, 10:49
Another issue or battle will surface in the years to come with all the prior service troops with breaks in service that came back in (mostly guard/reserve component) with "pre-existing" conditions. Over the past few years it has been amazing on how easy it is to get an enlistment waiver for conditions that in the past would have been a DQ. Quite a bit of the review process is very subjective and I've known plenty of guys who just had the right luck of getting seen by the right person on the right day. Now that the guard/reserve has opened up Tricare for all members you will see more older troops staying in longer as they either don't have civilian health care due to affordability issues and want to have coverage. The problem is that many are toughing out certain conditions and in the end it will take a toll on their health when they get out.

Painted Turtle
01-20-2008, 11:01
Thanks for that info. It may well be worth the cost to upgrade upon retirement as at this point after 23 years in the Army I have taken to calling Tri-Care - Tri to Find Care.

Furlough
The problem is a, "What is that" the further away from a base you get.

A very good rescoure booklet is, "Decision Guide To TRICARE Benefits, TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Extra & TRICARE Standard" Now the one I have is the, "TRICARE Norteast" edition. The diference being in the contact phone numbers and addresses. All other info concerning coverage and cost is the same.

The DOD also has a handbook called, "TRICARE Handbook" and a pamplelet called "TRICARE For Life".

Being still on active duty you should have no trouble finding these.