PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bag

amanda810
01-17-2008, 14:11
I only have one last piece of gear to buy before heading out for the trail. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a waterproof bear bag.

Thanks!

dessertrat
01-17-2008, 14:19
You're carrying a bear with you? Very heavy and not very useful. Consider a porcupine or a marmot instead.

Also, bears are pretty waterproof. You don't need to put them in a waterproof bag.

latte
01-17-2008, 14:27
Just buy a small waterproof dry bag like a Sea to Summit 13 liter (20 liter if you have lots of food or bulky food). The top rolls down to seal it, and you can get the regular or sil-nylon version. Then all you need is a standard 50 ft nylon non abrading rope or paracord.

There will be times that you don't want to hang your bag from the shelter, like in bear country or in a mouse infested shelter.:)

Cannibal
01-17-2008, 14:28
Just use a sil stuff sack (light and cheap), but make sure it has the little strap on the bottom so you can hang it upside down.

Colter
01-17-2008, 14:38
Usually I didn't hang my food on the AT. When required, or when it seemed to make sense, I'd just line a stuff sack(s) with a plastic bag(s.)

Kirby
01-17-2008, 14:45
Buy a regular food bag(sea to summit, for example), and hang a bear line. If a bear really wants your food, that bear will get to it, even if you have a bear bag.

Kirby

envirodiver
01-17-2008, 15:05
I also use the Sea to Summit dry bag (w/ the rolldown top). Works great and has made it through big thunderstorms with everything staying bone dry. They are very lightweight also.

ScottP
01-17-2008, 23:02
You might want to get something made out of fleece, to serve as a more comfortable pillow. That's what you do with a bear bag, right?

A-Train
01-17-2008, 23:08
Why not just buy waterproof food and then you woulnd't have to worry about keeping it dry.

Duh:)

ScottP
01-17-2008, 23:12
I wasn't joking...

superman
01-17-2008, 23:17
Or double bag the plastic bag you get at the grocery store.

A-Train
01-17-2008, 23:43
I wasn't joking...

After the PCT, I agree with you!

I wouldnt hang my food if I did the AT again. GA has cables, the Smokies fences, the Shenendoahs poles, and Jersey, boxes. Otherwise hang it from the shelter hooks or sleep on it

Strategic
01-17-2008, 23:52
After the PCT, I agree with you!

I wouldnt hang my food if I did the AT again. GA has cables, the Smokies fences, the Shenendoahs poles, and Jersey, boxes. Otherwise hang it from the shelter hooks or sleep on it

Those are all true except one; SMNP has removed most of the chainlink fronts front the shelters (this a report I've read from several of this year's SOBOs.) I didn't see any mention or other provisions like poles or cables, but they wouldn't need to worry so much given that the bears are all tucked in by the time the SOBOs reach SMNP.

ARambler
01-18-2008, 00:59
Those are all true except one; SMNP has removed most of the chainlink fronts front the shelters (this a report I've read from several of this year's SOBOs.) I didn't see any mention or other provisions like poles or cables, but they wouldn't need to worry so much given that the bears are all tucked in by the time the SOBOs reach SMNP.

I don't remember any SMNP shelters that did not have cables. I almost always used them if they were there. If not I have rope and try to hang at least once a thru.
Rambler

DuctTape
01-18-2008, 01:13
Granite Gear and OR(Outdoor Research?) make some great stuff sacks. I still use a Granite Gear sack I bought back in 2001 that's seen many many nights.

Don't worry too much about the waterproofing, since most of your food will probably be repackaged in ziplocs/grocery bags anyway.

minnesotasmith
01-18-2008, 01:26
The mice break their teeth on them, too. :)

Furlough
01-18-2008, 17:34
Take a look at the Equinox Bear bag at the link below.

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/the-1585/Equinox-Ultralite-Bear-Bag/Detail

Furlough

Tinker
01-18-2008, 20:07
FWIW, I use a very old sleeping bag stuffsack for "bear" bagging (never saw a bear near my camp - I prefer to call it "critter bagging", whatever). It isn't even close to waterproof, as a matter of fact, I purposely burned a 1" hole in the bottom to let out any water passing through. My food is stored in zip-lock bags, so it doesn't matter if water gets into the critter bag. Cheap solution, and, if the critters get into it, no big loss (except for the food).

jessicacomp
01-18-2008, 21:32
You're carrying a bear with you? Very heavy and not very useful. Consider a porcupine or a marmot instead.

Also, bears are pretty waterproof. You don't need to put them in a waterproof bag.

oh shoot, having read this, I am going to have look for the receipt for my bear and see if REI will take him back!