PDA

View Full Version : Trail sandals?

tomsawyer222
01-17-2008, 15:06
I was wondering if any is using a effective pair of trail sandles that are comfortable and can handle the weight of a pack?

Lone Wolf
01-17-2008, 15:16
my friend roy hikes in chacos.

wilconow
01-17-2008, 15:24
my friend roy hikes in chacos.

I met Roy in Shenandoah in late October. Nice guy. He mentioned being friends with you.

pittmad
01-17-2008, 15:33
I hike in Chacos in the spring and in the summer. I was thinking about doing the second half of the AT in them this summer, but apparently it still gets very cold on some of the ridges. Also, if the chaco gets wet, your feet slide in them and it makes it tough to climb rocks with your feet slipping inside the sandal.

d'shadow
01-17-2008, 15:39
Love my Keen sandals, live in them during the warmer weather. Your best bet is to go try on different styles, choose a pair and hit the trail. ;)

Kirby
01-17-2008, 17:08
I prefer Crocs myself, but Tyvek(sp?) makes nice sandles, I have had mine for about 2 years.

Kirby

DAKS
01-17-2008, 17:10
tyvek, or teva sandals kirby?

whiterockjock
01-17-2008, 17:16
I hike year round in Chaco z-1's with Injinji toes socks and Warmers neoprene over sock when needed. Works FANTASTIC! In fact going to hike an overnight on the Butterfield trail in Arkansas this weekend and it will get down to 12 degrees!!! I LOVE MY CHACOS!

Auntie Mame
01-17-2008, 17:29
Email AYCE at Thru Hiker.com He was (is?) big on Teva Trail Wraptors or the like.

A-Train
01-17-2008, 17:32
I've heard people liked Bite sandals as well. Saw a few folks wearing Keen and Chaco on the trail this summer.

Mrs Baggins
01-17-2008, 17:38
I use Tevas - the Terra-Fi with a thick rugged sole that handles trails, slick rocks, streams. I can walk in them all day.

Hooch
01-17-2008, 17:46
I was wondering if any is using a effective pair of trail sandles that are comfortable and can handle the weight of a pack?:welcome to White Blaze Tom Sawyer. I'm guessing your mind is not for rent and we shouldn't put you down as arrogant. Yeah.....sorry....a little Rush joke there. It didn't work, sorry. Anyway, I've done overnighters and day hikes in my Keens without socks and been very comfortable. I've taken a couple day hikes in my Chacos and been very comfortable as well. :D

Kirby
01-17-2008, 18:08
tyvek, or teva sandals kirby?

Teva.

Kirby

NorthCountryWoods
01-17-2008, 18:23
Keens are the first ones that I could comfortably hike in, although I haven't gone far yet.

Belew
01-17-2008, 18:37
For hiking, I like my Chacos better than any boot or shoe I've tryed. I hope it's not to cold this weekend for them.

humunuku
01-17-2008, 18:40
I use the Merrell Chameleon web sandles ...whats nice about them is you can use any insole you want. I do suggest taking out the stretchy shoe lace thingy and putting in a regular shoe lace though

CrumbSnatcher
01-17-2008, 19:35
two of my three thruhikes i wore chaco sandels. doesnt hurt to have strong ankles. used seal skins too when it was needed. some times no socks your feet dry out in sandels

Tinker
01-17-2008, 20:33
Keens work for me.

tomsawyer222
01-17-2008, 20:54
Hooch i get the joke good song it was
i have been looking at the chaco sandles and i have never tried them on or even seen a pair in the store i have heard they are comfortable

88BlueGT
01-17-2008, 21:06
No experience on the trail with sandals but I have heard good things about Chaco's. BTW, has anyone ever weighed theirs? Anyone know the weight on a pair of Z/1's? Size 9.5-10?

Hooch
01-17-2008, 21:20
Hooch i get the joke good song it was
i have been looking at the chaco sandles and i have never tried them on or even seen a pair in the store i have heard they are comfortableI have both Keens and Chacos and find them both comfortable. Each have their strong points, but I have to admit that I find my Keens more comfortable for the most part. The Chacos I prefer to use as camp shoes, but am considering changing to Crocs or cheap-o Croc knock-offs for that purpose.

wakapak
01-17-2008, 21:37
I pretty much only hike in Chacos now...love them!! And to echo what Crumb wrote earlier, my feet did dry out when I didn't wear socks with them...but I loved hiking in them!!

turtle fast
01-17-2008, 23:29
Tevas for me...I wear my socks in them when its colder, use for fording streams and rivers, and use in gruby showers. I have found a lot of "waterproof" sandals that have cushy bottoms invariably get water in them and squish when you walk.

Hurley
01-18-2008, 04:54
a pair of reefs

tomsawyer222
01-18-2008, 06:29
Well i was thinking that with water proof socks or maybe even goretex socks which i do believe they make now that sandals would be a more versatile system and allow you to change with the weather instead of keeping your thick goretex boots when it 80 degrees outside... Also i have used sandals on day hikes and socks keep me warm even when it is pretty could outside so i would only need the water proof socks when it rains so they could possibly last a long time.

berninbush
01-18-2008, 09:01
I use Tevas - the Terra-Fi with a thick rugged sole that handles trails, slick rocks, streams. I can walk in them all day.

I love my Terra-Fi Tevas too! I'm a "weekend warrior" hiker but I've had my Tevas for a year and a half now and I've worn them almost every day-- walking my dog in all kinds of weather, biking, to work, wading, on scorching pavement, you name it-- and they still look almost new. They're by far my most comfortable shoes.

I've always thought that sandals-with-socks (particularly waterproof socks) would be the most versatile combination for hiking in all kinds of weather.

SlowLightTrek
01-18-2008, 09:27
Banging your toes and rocks and jamming sticks between your toes are a couple of drawbacks to sandals.

nyushka42
01-18-2008, 17:44
Thats why my Keens have rubber toe protecter thingies. Only problem I've ever had with my Keens was that they get slippery so climbing can be a problem. On the trail I would wear my Merrells for most of the day & if I was tired would switch to the Keens. They were so much lighter and made my feet feel good on the last mile or 2 to camp.

CrumbSnatcher
01-18-2008, 20:32
chacos with the tire looking tread on bottom(vibram) awesome traction. you do get a stick stuck in between the foot and sandels sometimes. never had a blister after switching from montrail moraines. with sandels id roll into camp,hang out for along time without thinking about my feet. because they were so comfortable no need for camp shoes. people are worried about bashing the toes on rocks and everything.but i would actually bang my heals alot more, after i stepped over the object and hit my heel on the back swing. i wore a combination of chacos,seal skins,smart wool(no liners) and a low gaiter by outdoor reserch. alot of times with no socks. didnt like the chacos with the big toe strap. it rubs bad. good hiking

Two Speed
01-18-2008, 20:58
Teva Wraptors for me when I'm in sandals.
Banging your toes and rocks and jamming sticks between your toes are a couple of drawbacks to sandals.Oddly enough I find that I don't do that much. Not as tired 'cuz I ain't picking up and putting down a big ol' set of boots or shoes all day so I don't bang things as much.

Of course there is that transition period while you get used to the idea you need to be a little more careful where you put your feet. Let's just say I worked out some fancy dance steps those first few days and that they were coordinated with some very "colorful" language. :cool:

wilderness monk
01-18-2008, 21:05
I have a pair of leather sandals that is 10 years old. just right. but, they weight alot. This year I and going to use croc "flip flops".

Blissful
01-18-2008, 22:04
My hubby loved his "Bite" sandals - they don't make them anymore though.

TOW
01-18-2008, 23:24
Holey Soles are good sandles for short hikes. Don't know about long hikes though?

bpenpusher
04-28-2010, 02:19
I had a pair of Tevas and Chacos...for short hikes im using Tevas and the other one is for long travels...