PDA

View Full Version : Grit recipes for breakfast

sarbar
01-17-2008, 16:40
Yes, you Southerners, I know these are not authentic before I get hit with bags of polenta, er, I mean corn grits :D

As with the recipes they can be made in a bag or in a mug, either way.

I did this one yesterday:

Maple Currant Grits:

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/Gritscurrant.jpg

In a pint freezer bag put:
2 packets Instant Grits (http://www.quakergrits.com/QG_Products/products.htm)
1 Tbsp maple sugar
1 Tbsp dried currants
1 Tbsp instant dry milk

Add 1 cup boiling water and stir till smooth. Let sit for a couple minutes till cool enough to eat.

Serves 1.
Note:
If you carry butter with you, a tiny bit added in is nice. Maple sugar is the best......

Cranberry Sunshine Grits:

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/Sunnygrits.jpg

In a quart freezer bag put:

2 pouches instant grits
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbsp dried milk
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 packets TrueŽ Orange (http://www.truelemon.com/newfamily.cfm)

Add 1 cup and 2 Tbsp boiling water. Stir well, for a minute or so then let sit till cool enough to eat.

Serves 1.

jlb2012
01-17-2008, 19:01
sugar in grits :eek:

sarbar
01-17-2008, 20:05
Hey, I told you that they were not authentic :D

rainmaker
01-17-2008, 21:17

Forgive her sir, now I think I'll have a plate of shrimp and oatmeal, with sausage gravey.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-17-2008, 22:13
::: Southern Dino sniffs Sarbar's grits and gets the vapors :D :::

sarbar
01-17-2008, 22:53
::: Southern Dino sniffs Sarbar's grits and gets the vapors :D :::
Lol....

They do taste good though :p (Ok, we will call them dessert grits, how does that sound? :D )

peanuts
01-22-2008, 15:07
delish....thats how i make them:D:D
milk and sugar(its a breakfast food)

Micky
01-22-2008, 15:12
I like suger on my grits. how else you supposed to eat them?:-?

Hooch
01-22-2008, 15:13
I like suger on my grits. how else you supposed to eat them?:-?With goat cheese, tomatilla salsa or salsa verde and blackened catfish. :D

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 15:13
with maple syrup if you feel the need to eat them at all

budforester
01-22-2008, 15:14
With gravy, y'all.

Oh, I had some for lunch; topped 'em with chili. Down home, we use grits as a basic starch breakfast, dinner, and supper. We rarely sweeten them, but they are good that way, too.

highway
01-22-2008, 16:33
Three envelopes instant grits any flavors, heat with lots of water, eat/drink the carbohydrate mixture, clean pot with finger, lick finger, pack pot away, breakfast done!;)

sarbar
01-22-2008, 17:53
With goat cheese, tomatilla salsa or salsa verde and blackened catfish. :D
I'd eat that!! Yum!

Well, I can say grits will be something I eat more of....I had braces put on today :eek:

tha
01-22-2008, 17:54

Butter, salt, pepper and tabasco

Montego
01-22-2008, 17:56
Butter and lots of salt :)

mudhead
01-22-2008, 18:26

+ Egg yolk if you got it.

Menlo Park? Knows grits?

Micky
01-22-2008, 18:56
Thanks y'all I'll have to try some of the different ways. there are not to many things I won't eat. With maple syrup sounds good.

Happy
01-22-2008, 22:24

You have my vote with this combo...every day!!!! :sun

Gaiter
01-23-2008, 02:04
what about grits for dinner, i think i asked this on another thread, but since they have the foil packets of shrimp, has anyone tired shrimp'n'grits on the trail, how did it turn out, gotta recipe to share?

Wanderingson
01-23-2008, 04:06
Vinny: How could it take you five minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes? Mr. Tipton: Um... I'm a fast cook, I guess. Vinny: [across beside the jury] What? I'm sorry I was over there. Did you just say you were a fast cook? Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth? Mr. Tipton: I don't know. Vinny: Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove! Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

sarbar
01-23-2008, 11:16
what about grits for dinner, i think i asked this on another thread, but since they have the foil packets of shrimp, has anyone tired shrimp'n'grits on the trail, how did it turn out, gotta recipe to share?
Sounds good to me! Some melted cheese on top....

tha
01-23-2008, 22:00
+ Egg yolk if you got it.

Menlo Park? Knows grits?

Trapped out here. GA born and raised. Can't find them on the shelves out here. When I come home in March to see Mamma'n'em, I'll stock up.

tha
01-23-2008, 22:04
Vinny: How could it take you five minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes? Mr. Tipton: Um... I'm a fast cook, I guess. Vinny: [across beside the jury] What? I'm sorry I was over there. Did you just say you were a fast cook? Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth? Mr. Tipton: I don't know. Vinny: Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove! Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

The funniest movie ever made.

"No self-respecting Southerner would ever eat instant grits!"

The Old Fhart
01-23-2008, 22:25
-If you don't have a pot scrubber, bring grits in water to a boil.
-mix for 2 minutes making sure not to miss any spots.
-Dump grit out and use them to caulk the spaces between the logs in the shelter.
-Rinse pot completely and make oatmeal
:banana

GGS2
01-24-2008, 00:20
-Dump grit out and use them to caulk the spaces between the logs in the shelter.

Yes, I know that recipe. Works for lots of stuff, like corn meal, cream of wheat, oatmeal, too...

envirodiver
01-24-2008, 13:00

First out loud laugh this AM...we preciate cha.:banana

On the trail: Instant Cheese grits, extra cheddar cheese, fresh chopped jalapeno pepper, pre-cooked bacon, hot sauce and butter, lot's of black pepper. That gets everything cranked up and going in the morning.

The Weasel
01-24-2008, 14:47
What isn't said about yellow grits is that they are a true ultralight food, as compared to most other starches (pasta/rice/etc). In other words, to make pasta, you generally need one cup of water and one cup of pasta to make 2 cups of finished food. With yellow grits, the ratio is 1:3, ie 1/2 cup of grits to 1 1/2 cups of water, for 2 cups of food. Since the weight is the same, you get twice as much food/calorie power for the same amount of weight.

I like them unflavored (sweet, nutty flavor) but they will carry almost any sauce well.

TW

Heater
01-24-2008, 15:25
First out loud laugh this AM...we preciate cha.:banana

On the trail: Instant Cheese grits, extra cheddar cheese, fresh chopped jalapeno pepper, pre-cooked bacon, hot sauce and butter, lot's of black pepper. That gets everything cranked up and going in the morning.

Yeah. Grits suck.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 15:28
good book right here http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0898151899/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-7727443-5400706#reader-link

Heater
01-24-2008, 15:30

I honestly believe that Mr. Tipton could do a sub-30 day thru hike. :cool:

Heater
01-24-2008, 15:37
What isn't said about yellow grits is that they are a true ultralight food, as compared to most other starches (pasta/rice/etc). In other words, to make pasta, you generally need one cup of water and one cup of pasta to make 2 cups of finished food. With yellow grits, the ratio is 1:3, ie 1/2 cup of grits to 1 1/2 cups of water, for 2 cups of food.

Well OK, Cliff Clavin.
I'll take your word for that.
But, what you fail to realize is...
Grits suck. :eek:

The Weasel
01-24-2008, 15:56
Well OK, Cliff Clavin.
I'll take your word for that.
But, what you fail to realize is...
Grits suck. :eek:

Aus, I suspect that you (and others) don't know the difference between "grits" (which in the South usually refers to hominy) and "yellow grits". Hominy grits are prepared using lye or other processes, and make a creamy white breakfast starch that some Northerners don't understand. Yellow grits are milled from dried corn, and are used, among other things, in fried cornmeal mush, scrapple, and other items (yes, yellow corn meal is also used, but recipes exist for both) and cook up into a much different type of food than hominy grits.

As for the Clavin crack, well, Cliff walked a lot more miles than you (or I), but unlike him, I use yellow grits for about 70% of my trail dinners and about once a week at home. If you hung out with Cliff, being that you're a class act, you'd eat at the classy joint above Cheers, where you'd pay $12 bucks a plate for "polenta", which is yellow grits with Italian cheese(s) and ground black pepper. If you hung with me, though, you'd watch me have the same food for about a buck, on the trail. It's a gourmet food in both Atlanta and New York.

TW

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 16:00
i grew up eating johnny cakes http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/catalog/item/4211434/4105186.htm

Heater
01-24-2008, 16:01
Aus, I suspect that you (and others) don't know the difference between "grits" (which in the South usually refers to hominy) and "yellow grits". Hominy grits are prepared using lye or other processes, and make a creamy white breakfast starch that some Northerners don't understand. Yellow grits are milled from dried corn, and are used, among other things, in fried cornmeal mush, scrapple, and other items (yes, yellow corn meal is also used, but recipes exist for both) and cook up into a much different type of food than hominy grits.

As for the Clavin crack, well, Cliff walked a lot more miles than you (or I), but unlike him, I use yellow grits for about 70% of my trail dinners and about once a week at home. If you hung out with Cliff, being that you're a class act, you'd eat at the classy joint above Cheers, where you'd pay $12 bucks a plate for "polenta", which is yellow grits with Italian cheese(s) and ground black pepper. If you hung with me, though, you'd watch me have the same food for about a buck, on the trail. It's a gourmet food in both Atlanta and New York.

TW

I have had alllll the grits. I have had polenta. They all Suck! :D
Tasteless crap. :D

Bring me another and put it on my tab, Sammy. :cool:

Lone Wolf
01-24-2008, 16:06
i grew up eating johnny cakes http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/catalog/item/4211434/4105186.htm

and washing them down with this http://www.autocrat.com/cart/index.cfm?ac=ShowProducts&CatID=550&SetCat=1

envirodiver
01-24-2008, 16:12
good book right here http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0898151899/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-7727443-5400706#reader-link

It does look good. Never had fried cucumbers.

STEVEM
01-24-2008, 21:41
So I take my daughter out for breakfast a few weeks ago to a little place near Culver Gap just off the AT here in NJ. There to my amazement on the menu is "Home Style Eggs with Grits and Gravy". I tryed to convince my daughter to order that, telling her how good it is based on my memories of southern breakfasts. She decided on the pancakes and I went for the eggs, grits and gravy. They served me a plate of slop swimming in canned roast beef gravy. Now that just ain't right.