PDA

View Full Version : Question about Backpacker magazine sub...

freefall
01-17-2008, 23:01
Anyone paid for their subscription/ renewed online and seen the link towards the top to Earth-Smart continuous service renewal program? I just clicked on it to see what it was and it took me back to their homepage without an explanation. When I did a search for it, no results were found. When I went to look at my account on Backpacker it says their are two (2) transactions pending but they do not list what they are.
I submitted a info request along with stating not to charge my card until I knew what the hell I was paying for and how much but most likely the credit card server will update tonight but I won't receive an answer until at least tomorrow.
Any one know what this is/ how much it costs?:confused::confused::confused:

River Runner
01-17-2008, 23:46
They keep sending me letters wanting me to renew on some sort of perpetual basis. I declined to renew at all.

freefall
01-18-2008, 00:18
They keep sending me letters wanting me to renew on some sort of perpetual basis. I declined to renew at all.
Yeah, I get those too. I was a subscriber some years ago but let it lapse. Then I saw an article that actually grabbed my attention so I decided to renew again. I just can not figure out what this "Earth-Smart continuous service renewal program" is.

DuctTape
01-18-2008, 02:04
Magazine subscriptions are evil. They don't know what "cancel" means.

max patch
01-18-2008, 07:38
Its almost certainly an automatic renewal where every year your subscription is automatically renewed without sending you any renewals in the mail. Thats the "earth smart" part.

Makes you fell good cause you didn't kill any trees with all the renewal forms coming in the mail.

Makes them feel good because you always renew at the highest price.

Lot of magazine deals out there. I don't use any of the automatic renewals.

Bearpaw
01-18-2008, 08:52
Pay by check. It's hard to renew those.

Lone Wolf
01-18-2008, 08:54
real backpackers don't read that rag. :)

Blue Jay
01-18-2008, 09:03
real backpackers don't read that rag. :)

I did not know there was such a thing as fake backpackers, but I like the concept.

Sly
01-18-2008, 09:05
I get BPM free with a membership to American Hiking Society.

Lone Wolf
01-18-2008, 09:06
I did not know there was such a thing as fake backpackers, but I like the concept.

packsniffin' cyberhikers

Toolshed
01-18-2008, 10:21
There are also predator companies that use "Backpacker" logo and try to sell you subscriptions for up twice what a renewal through Rodale (or whoever owns them now) will cost. If you flip the invoice over, you will see in small print that they ar a 3rd party non-affiliated merchandiser who will renew for you through BP magazine. Bunch of snakes.

Skyline
01-18-2008, 10:28
Magazine subscriptions are evil. They don't know what "cancel" means.

Neither do cell phone companies or cable providers.

Skyline
01-18-2008, 10:30
There are also predator companies that use "Backpacker" logo and try to sell you subscriptions for up twice what a renewal through Rodale (or whoever owns them now) will cost. If you flip the invoice over, you will see in small print that they ar a 3rd party non-affiliated merchandiser who will renew for you through BP magazine. Bunch of snakes.

Kinda like the abusive "shipping and handling" charges that come with products you see advertised on infomercials. Sometimes they cost nearly as much as the product itself.

Lyle
01-18-2008, 11:39
I get BPM free with a membership to American Hiking Society.

I know, this is annoying as H#@*. I canceled my subscription to BP, then renewed my membership to AHS and started getting BP again. Had to cancel again, go through the emails back and forth with them trying to convince me to stay. Now I have to renew with AHS with STRONG instructions that I want no part of the BP subscription. This is actually an annoyance with AHS, and detrimental to my renewing with them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-18-2008, 12:00
packsniffin' cyberhikers::: Packsniffin' cyberhiker looks over her trifocals at LW and wishes she could be him ;) :D:::

I agree BP magazine is more about selling gear - much of which isn't suitable at all for BPing - than about hiking or BPing these days. Pretty worthless - and it is really, really hard to get them to leave you alone once they get you on a subscription list. I make all contributions to AHS anonymously for this very reason.

sonic
01-18-2008, 12:23
If I can take a banking/Compliance approach to this. Hey don't rag on me, we all have to do something to support our hiking habit. Anyway, it is not legal for them to debit your checking account or charge your credit card without first disclosing how much and what for. If they do you can easily get this refunded by notifying your bank that it is in error. They should open up a dispute, and given the small amount (under $100), probably won't do anything but give you your money back. Your banker can be your friend in this transaction if it does go wrong.;)

freefall
01-18-2008, 12:24
::: Packsniffin' cyberhiker looks over her trifocals at LW and wishes she could be him ;) :D:::

I agree BP magazine is more about selling gear - much of which isn't suitable at all for BPing - than about hiking or BPing these days. Pretty worthless - and it is really, really hard to get them to leave you alone once they get you on a subscription list. I make all contributions to AHS anonymously for this very reason.

I swore off BP for a long time but came across one and it had a decent article. So I mailed off a sub. form. So far the only charge to hit my card has been the charge I agreed to so maybe, hopefully, I am over-reacting.

Toolshed
01-18-2008, 13:06
Kinda like the abusive "shipping and handling" charges that come with products you see advertised on infomercials. Sometimes they cost nearly as much as the product itself.
::DSoTM shakes head in disbelief and wonder as he comprehends that he and Skyline agree on something::

partinj
01-18-2008, 13:23
Bacpack Mag. is now just a yuppie think

Bob S
01-18-2008, 13:44
I know in today’s electronic money world it’s real easy to whip out the card and buy or pay for something. But what I do for things like this when I see no good reason to give people my card numbers, I use a money order. Years ago I had a subscription to an amateur radio magazine I let it run out because was going into areas I had no interest in. I did not want to renew it any more so I just let it go. Well somehow they were able to add the next year on to the card. Sent them letters asking for a credit on the card and to stop sending the magazine and found that they use a third party for billing and never got anyplace. Since then I have used money orders for things like this. It’s kind of hard for them to run a money order through again. Not quite as easy for me as a credit card, but it stops them or their agents from abusing my card.

I also find backpacker magazine has little that interests me. It seems they leave the normal backpacker behind and every month go for the once in a lifetime trip to places that 99% of us will ever go to. That’s ok once in a while, but not every month, month after month.

Bob S
01-18-2008, 13:47
It seems they leave the normal backpacker behind and every month go for the once in a lifetime trip to places that 99% of us will ever go to

Never not ever go to. Sorry my typing sucks:eek:

It seems they leave the normal backpacker behind and every month go for the once in a lifetime trip to places that 99% of us will never go to.

Lyle
01-18-2008, 13:52
I also find backpacker magazine has little that interests me. It seems they leave the normal backpacker behind and every month go for the once in a lifetime trip to places that 99% of us will ever go to. That’s ok once in a while, but not every month, month after month.

This is what I have found also. It seems to be becoming a club, the purpose of which is for the subscribers to fund the editor's high adventure.

Give us back the old days of Bill Kemsley's "Backpacker" (he was the founding editor/publisher), "Wilderness Camping", and "Backpacking Journal" - before the days of buy-outs and take-overs. AHHH the old days. :)

Blissful
01-18-2008, 13:56
Super de duper - I orded some subscriptions through Amazon in Nov for $5 each - now I'll probably get hit by renewals without me okaying it. At least I was forewarned.

big_muddy
01-18-2008, 14:00
The quality of Backpacker has really gone downhill, even in just the past few years. On their submissions guidelines they remark that their focus is on North American backpacking. The February issue had this whole thing on going to Patagonia and a few other places that are not in their focus area. They are also now publishing more features that have little or nothing to do with backpacking. Some ex-con who saw a mountain while in prison and that inspired him to go hiking when his time was up. Ask me if I care?

Terry7
01-18-2008, 14:01
Someone needs to tell "Backpacker Mag" that there are trails here in the southeast. Its always about the trails in the west.

sonic
01-18-2008, 14:05
I know in today’s electronic money world it’s real easy to whip out the card and buy or pay for something. But what I do for things like this when I see no good reason to give people my card numbers, I use a money order. Years ago I had a subscription to an amateur radio magazine I let it run out because was going into areas I had no interest in. I did not want to renew it any more so I just let it go. Well somehow they were able to add the next year on to the card. Sent them letters asking for a credit on the card and to stop sending the magazine and found that they use a third party for billing and never got anyplace. Since then I have used money orders for things like this. It’s kind of hard for them to run a money order through again. Not quite as easy for me as a credit card, but it stops them or their agents from abusing my card.

Kind of like what I said earlier: They can't do this. It really is against the regulations. Just let your bank know when it happens. Most companies just hope nobody realizes it or takes the time to do anything about it. But if you do they have to give you your money back.

On another note, has anybody read Outside magazine lately? :mad: What the heck have they done with it? It looks like a mag for gen xers that only think about electronics and clothes.

sonic
01-18-2008, 14:07
Someone needs to tell "Backpacker Mag" that there are trails here in the southeast. Its always about the trails in the west.
Yeah, and what's with this regional thing? I live in Texas and they put me in the Central region. Like I'm ever going to get to Minneapolis to hike? What about New Mexico or Colorado that are right next door? Stinks.

brotheral
01-18-2008, 14:44
I subscribed for a few years when I started backpacking. As I made more trips and gained valuable experience, I found this magazine less and less interesting. When I joined whiteblaze.net I had no further need for BP magazine. I find good pictures, stories, advice on gear......., and continuous entertainment here. :sunI got something from them yesterday offering 2 free issues and 2 gifts. Ran it through the Shredder !!
Happy Trails...........BrotherAL

Mags
01-18-2008, 14:52
The outdoor market has changed. BPer Mag changed to survive.

Less people backpack, "high adventure" is more popular in terms of what people want to read about, "done in a day" activities are more popular than even 10 years, etc.

Whether that is good or not is another story that I'll leave for someone else.

Interesting editorial from a former editor at BPer Mag:
http://mountaingazette.earthbound.com/article/190

highway
01-18-2008, 15:03
Some years ago I used to look forward to the next issue arriving and I would read almost every page. Then, I began to just read an interesting looking article or two. Later, less and less of the articles appeared interesting and i was beginning to disagree with some of the magazine's recommendations. Then I began to see less and less relevance in the magazine at all and just let my subscription expire without even opening the last few issues.

envirodiver
01-18-2008, 15:08

That seems to be a consistent theme in all of the Rodale publications.

Skyline
01-18-2008, 16:35
I can remember when it would make my day when a new issue of Backpacker would arrive in the mail. I would pour over it for hours. Now, I just sigh and toss it aside; when I finally get to it, it takes all of 15 minutes to flip through the pages to see if something interests me. Seldom do I find anything substantial.

Will I re-sub? Probably one more time. I want to see if the new publishers can bring some of the original magazine's good qualities back. If not, this will be my last re-sub. Job One for the new publishers: Go back and peruse your files of old issues. The really old ones.

If they're not going to focus on the wants and needs of real backpackers, they should just change the name to something else.

One more thing while I'm on a rant. The few times in recent memory that they've described a hike I've been on previously, they got one or more facts wrong. In one case they invented a connector trail that never existed in SNP from the AT to a side trail, and would have required a 60-degree + descent if it did. Another time they mixed up the order of trail intersections. Both were just stupid, lazy, and had the potential to get anyone who followed their directions into trouble.

Lyle
01-18-2008, 16:53
Unfortunately, capitalism dictates that a business venture is constantly growing, remaining content with existing business is not good enough. The numbers of backpackers are diminishing, even ATC has change (and not for the better in my opinion) their publication in order to attract a different audience.

We just have to move on to new niche organizations such as WB, TJ, HF, etc. I've diverted my monetary support to these groups, since they are the ones now spreading the new information, giving reliable gear advice, and providing armchair adventures when we are unable to partake of the real thing. Think of a contribution to these sites instead of continuing to subscribe to a publication that has abandoned us.

sarbar
01-20-2008, 23:12
I do feel they have gotten better since Rodale sold them to AIM in Colorado. (I had quit subbing/reading in 2004 and didn't start reading it again till 2007)

And hey, they wrote an article that featured me and my business so I am not crabbing tooooo hard :D Woooooo!

Newb
01-20-2008, 23:30
Dear God. Are we talking about the people that sponsor a camp-fire at trail days? They're not about backpacking, they're about advertising gear for wannabes.

River Runner
01-20-2008, 23:58
The outdoor market has changed. BPer Mag changed to survive.

Less people backpack, "high adventure" is more popular in terms of what people want to read about, "done in a day" activities are more popular than even 10 years, etc.

Whether that is good or not is another story that I'll leave for someone else.

Interesting editorial from a former editor at BPer Mag:
http://mountaingazette.earthbound.com/article/190

Enjoyed reading the editorial. I used to read the magazine. Now I have better things to do with my time for the most part. ;)

Bob S
01-21-2008, 00:32
On Friday I just got a bill from backpacker, at least that’s what it looks like at a casual glance. It has a due date and came in an envelope that made it look like it was from a company that sends out over due bill notices. Even the piece inside looked like a bill. It said amount due, but really it is a subscription request. It looks like an itemized medical bill.

It does not build trust or respect when they use deceptive marketing practices.

highway
01-21-2008, 07:58
Enjoyed reading the editorial. I used to read the magazine. Now I have better things to do with my time for the most part. ;)

Thanks for the article. and i felt i was alone in loosing interest in the magazine. it explained why I recently bought an expedition sea kayak to extend my horizons. and I felt i was alone in that, too

BipolarStroller
01-21-2008, 10:55
Crumb and I have both had subscriptions to BP, and we've come to the conclusion that they advertise for whoever writes them the biggest check. The most irritating is when the write about the top 10 secret spots, because if you tell everyone and their brother-it's not a secret anymore.
We encourage you to recycle (your magazine and all the junk mail they will send you for eternity), and if you wanna learn about backpacking, then experience is the key. This website is very helpful, I've learned much more from other hikers than I ever did in that magazine- THANKS GUYS!!! And as far as gear, a friendly visit to Mount Rogers Outfitter(the official outfitter of CrumbSnatcher and BipolarStroller) in Damascus, Jeff will hook you up!