PDA

View Full Version : New to backpacking and need help . . .

alaska moose
01-18-2008, 09:05
I'm in the planning stage of starting backpacking . . . my parents think it is a dumb hobby and they don't see why would I want to go out and hike a 2,175 mile trail. My mom says "you have a day pack why do you need a bigger pack". Every day I come on this website and look and the pictures and read the posts of thru hikes (of the A.T. )I really want to thur hike the A.T.!

Any way, what are some ways for me to talk to my parents to let them agree to let me start backpacking. My mom said to me that would be a dumb reason to spend $700.00! HELP !!!!! I want to start backpacking !!!!

Lone Wolf
01-18-2008, 09:08
how old are you?

alaska moose
01-18-2008, 09:09
I'll be 15 in May . . .

Hooch
01-18-2008, 09:09
I'm in the planning stage of starting backpacking . . . my parents think it is a dumb hobby and they don't see why would I want to go out and hike a 2,175 mile trail. My mom says "you have a day pack why do you need a bigger pack". Every day I come on this website and look and the pictures and read the posts of thru hikes (of the A.T. )I really want to thur hike the A.T.!

Any way, what are some ways for me to talk to my parents to let them agree to let me start backpacking. My mom said to me that would be a dumb reason to spend $700.00! HELP !!!!! I want to start backpacking !!!!I know it's probably a stretch, but I'm guessing your parents are couch potatoes? Here's an idea. If you're old enough, get a job, part time at least and use the money your earn from it to fund your desire to start backpacking. So, if it's your money, yoru folks have no say so in how you save or spend it, no matter how "dumb" they think it is. Good luck and :welcome to White Blaze!

Lone Wolf
01-18-2008, 09:11
hmmmm. you've got a few years before you can get serious about a thru-hike.

Doughnut
01-18-2008, 09:14
Join the boy souts??
Or a church group that takes overnight camping trips, let your parents see you are serious about it.
Check used gear and sales, , try different packs, sleeping bags, etc. see what you like.

alaska moose
01-18-2008, 09:17
hmmmm. you've got a few years before you can get serious about a thru-hike.

I'm thinking 2018 !

But before them hike long trail around here, High Country Pathway (great trail)

sheepdog
01-18-2008, 09:22
You definately have a few years to go before a through hike. Spend some time doing overnighters and learning the ropes. There are a lot of great trails in Michigan. The North Country Scenic Pathway has some great trails through the UP. I work at Jays sporting goods in Gaylord Mi. Stop in and ask for the hiking guy at camping. I will be glad to give you any help I can. Bring your mom and dad in and introduce them to me. Keep your folks advised as to anyone you meet on line. Including me. Hope to see you in the store.

JAK
01-18-2008, 09:27
Run away and join the circus.
Don't trust anyone over 30.
Avoid cliches like the plague.

Seriously, run. 15 is a good age to start seriously running.
If you can't run fast, run far.

Hooch
01-18-2008, 09:28
Join the boy souts.......Scouting is a great way to get outside and learn valuable outdoor skills that will serve you the rest of your life. Lots of good experience available through scouting. I didn't get involved in scouting until just after my 14th birthday. Even with les than 4 years, I made Life Scout. I figured I'd never make Eagle, but you don't have to in order to enjoy what scouting has to offer. Don't get me wrong, Eagle is an incredible accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of. Realistically, not everyone is going to or even wants to make it. Do you think your parents would support you scouting?

Kerosene
01-18-2008, 09:51
You might also consider trying to make your own gear. There are a lot of on-line resources with instructions on how to make lightweight shelters, clothing, stuff sacks, alcohol stoves, packs; even sleeping bags. Also, you don't need to buy all your equipment at the same time; and in fact most people wouldn't recommend it.

Check out your local community college or university where you can sometimes rent equipment to augment what you own. You're likely to start with a heavier setup than you'd like, but at least you'll get out there and start to experiment with what works for you. You don't need a lot of money to survive out there, but you will be more comfortable if you lighten the load (and avoid cotton!).

I did my first section hike with two other 15-year olds: 53 miles from Delaware Water Gap to Unionville in April 1973. I had a lot of camping experience in scouting, but this was my first long distance hike and I learned a lot that year and during hikes with worse weather the successive two years. I probably carried 50 pounds, including a massive rectangular synthetic sleeping bag and a stove that weighed over a pound, but didn't know enough to carry a shelter thinking that I could roll up in my plastic ground cloth. Live and learn.

Lilred
01-18-2008, 09:54
You definately have a few years to go before a through hike. Spend some time doing overnighters and learning the ropes. There are a lot of great trails in Michigan. The North Country Scenic Pathway has some great trails through the UP. I work at Jays sporting goods in Gaylord Mi. Stop in and ask for the hiking guy at camping. I will be glad to give you any help I can. Bring your mom and dad in and introduce them to me. Keep your folks advised as to anyone you meet on line. Including me. Hope to see you in the store.

I grew up in Farwell, on Five Lakes. Man I miss that place.

15 is a bit young, no wonder your parents are against it. If I were you, I'd quit talking about thru hiking and just start day hiking, then do an overnighter with someone. Work into longer trips as the years progress. You can rent backpacks and bags and such from outfitters so you won't have to put out a big expense at the start. Then, when you get a bit older and your folks are used to you hiking and backpacking, bring it up again. I wouldn't bring it up again till you were out of high school. In the meantime, find work wherever you can and save at least $6000 for the thru. That should be good for gear and expenses.

maxNcathy
01-18-2008, 09:57
Do you have ang gear now? Do you have any friends who like camping/backpacking?

Pennsylvania Rose
01-18-2008, 10:20
I'll add my vote to scouting. Besides regular troops, there are co-ed groups (I think they're called Venture, although they were Explorers in my time) that usually specialize in one area. I was lucky enough to have an outdoors post at my high school. Does your high school have an outdoors club? If not, is there a faculty member who would sponsor one? What about the Sierra Club or a trail club in your area? They take lots of day hikes, and maybe even some overnighters. Do you belong to a church youth group that might be interested in outdoor adventures? Mine used to go whitewater rafting every summer, which was my intro to the outdoors. Community education at a local college or a nature center may offer hiking/camping/backpacking.

Unless you have experienced friends, you'll learn a lot more, be safer, and ease your parents' minds if you start out with an established group. Have your parents get to know the folks you'll be with. Maybe they'll even go along. Earn the money to buy your gear. Maybe get a summer job as a camp counselor. Regardless, keep communicating with your parents. Ease them into your new hobby. DON'T do what I did - take off on the AT at 18 as a complete surprise to everyone I knew. I caused my family an unbelievable amount of worry, which I fully appreciate now as the parent of 16, 15, and 14 year olds.

Although, it was a unique form of rebellion...

double d
01-18-2008, 10:28
Welcome to WB Ak Moose! 15 is a great age to get started, I grew up in an urban environment and really was not exposed to hiking/camping until I lived in Colorado for many years in my early 20's, so at 15 you are way ahead of alot of us here at WB in getting started. Also, I would not be too worried about what mom/dad say about your hiking interest because I'm sure they have their interest and you have yours and your parents are giving you a good introduction to a simple fact that many people you meet in your life will ask you,"why do you want to do that"? Michigan has some great trials, go out and start hiking them this Spring and Summer, the North trail is very good one to start out on. Good luck and enjoy every step!

HIKER7s
01-18-2008, 10:39
Join the boy souts??
Or a church group that takes overnight camping trips, let your parents see you are serious about it.
Check used gear and sales, , try different packs, sleeping bags, etc. see what you like.

ABSOLUTELY!
Choose a Troop that does camp and high adventure many times a year.

You are young and you need to show them this isnt just a hollow wish. Show yourself reading all you can about backpacking, gear catalogs, leave notebooks around with things like wished for gear lists, planning notes, etc.

Take that daypack they say is enough; structure hikes and do just that. EVery free day, afternoon ...hike! When they come into a room (and if your serious, this shouldnt be a farce) they should see you watching what ever you can find on the TV having to do with the outdoors, camping, wilderness...all related material to what you want to do.

I am of the opinion that you really need your parents behind you if you have aspirations of doing any long distance hiking. Later on when your 25 or so, it isnt that big of a deal. If you feel the pull, your gonna at least attempt it with or without their support.

However now, you need them. Its sounds that this subject is foreign to them so you cant go right for the golden chalis. You have to lay the foundation of an interest and then build it up till they see it. When they do, you will know when they take you seriously. The questions will start, have you thought of this and that, how many miles are you going to hike, where, and you might even get the "WHY" question. (have a good answer for that one)

SECRET- if you get one parent on board with your interest, ping on them, make sure you make it a point to involve that parent in all that you want to do...NOW.

OH, and at this point DONT keep bringing up doing the entire AT statement. At least until you see them getting onboard with your interest.

good luck

gsingjane
01-18-2008, 10:42
Welcome Moose. I'm so glad to see you interested in hiking and backpacking and the outdoors. Beats the heck out of Wii!

You're hearing lots of great advice from parents here... they no doubt are concerned that you want to spend big bucks for what may be a passing fancy and I don't blame them at all for wanting to go slow. (This does not excuse their making fun of your ambitions... parents should *never* do that!). I know it's fabulous to think about a thru-hike but, as the others have said, you totally have to start learning about backpacking, get physically fit and mentally prepared, and gain some maturity before you can undertake a project as gigantic as a thru. If you really are serious about doing it, then if you get a job and start saving your money, your parents will see that you're going to do it - it will really impress them and they'll start to take YOU more seriously. I know at your age it's tough to find a "regular" paid job, but there are many other things you can do to start to scrape together funds... my 13 yo daughter makes $50-100 per week between her babysitting, dog walking and goat milking jobs and she banks at least half of that. So it CAN be done!

Take care, I hope we see more of you...
Jane in CT

Thoughtful Owl
01-18-2008, 10:54
Scouting is a great way to get outside and learn valuable outdoor skills that will serve you the rest of your life. Lots of good experience available through scouting. I didn't get involved in scouting until just after my 14th birthday. Even with les than 4 years, I made Life Scout. I figured I'd never make Eagle, but you don't have to in order to enjoy what scouting has to offer. Don't get me wrong, Eagle is an incredible accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of. Realistically, not everyone is going to or even wants to make it. Do you think your parents would support you scouting?

Hooch is right about the scouting program. In fact only 4 out 100 scouts will ever make Eagle (National Statistic). The Boy Scouts of America has another program that is co-ed, called Venturing. Check into this program as well. It is designed for young men & women ages 14 - 20. Venturing Crews as they are called, usually are involved in more "high adventure" activities such as climbing & repelling, whitewater rafting etc., and yes they backpack and camp too. To learn more go to http://www.scouting.org/
and click on the green diamond on the right hand side of the page.

TO

jesse
01-18-2008, 11:13
ditto on joining Boy Scouts. Find a troop that does a lot of camping/backpacking. You can get all your gear on way less than $700. Does your mom sew? If so, ask her to teach you, Go to http://www.ray-way.com/index.htm (after February). You can make your own tarp, backpack and quilt, for less than $300. Get a job, earn your own money, buy your gear and clothes. When your parents see this maturity, they will be more inclined to support your dream. Don't spend too much time focusing on a thru hike, enjoy every opportunity to do short hiking.

envirodiver
01-18-2008, 11:46
A lot of great advice here. Do you have any of your friends that are interested or might become interested in hiking/backpacking? Trail clubs are another good idea, or if your school allows it, get with the administration, find a sponsor that hikes and start a hiking club at your school. Volunteer with local hiking/trail organizations to perform trail maintenance on weekends.

Learn as much as you can: this is a great place for information, but realize that you are in most cases reading peoples various opinions and some people have very strong ones regarding equipment and methods. Dig through that and determine what works for you. Read magazines and books on hiking. Learn from your mistakes.

I vividly remember my first backpacking trip: my buddy and I had a 5 lb bag of potatoes, full bottle of pancake syrup, full bottle of catsup...etc. this was for a 3 day trip...LOL. I learned quick.

Most of all talk to your parents about hiking and hopefully they will realize that it is a great hobby/interest for a high schooler. Sure a lot better and healtier than what a lot of kids at your school are doing...have fun!

alaska moose
01-18-2008, 12:01
Do you have ang gear now? Do you have any friends who like camping/backpacking?
No gear now . . . all my "friends" just sit in frount of the tv or computer all day and play those game things . . .

DAKS
01-18-2008, 12:07
as many have said, join scouting. that would be a great start! also, since you are still in high school take a home-ec class or whatever to learn how to sew! i sure wish i would have learned how to use a sewing machine when there was someone around to teach me! this would be very helpful in making your own gear as someone stated in a previous post! good luck and welcome to WB!

Lyle
01-18-2008, 12:31

Any way, what are some ways for me to talk to my parents to let them agree to let me start backpacking. My mom said to me that would be a dumb reason to spend $700.00! HELP !!!!! I want to start backpacking !!!!

Possibly consider joining the North Country Trail Association and selecting a local chapter. Most have at least some hikes as well as work weekends and workweeks where you could get out on the a trail. Many of the members are avid hikers (not all, some just like to do trail building), several in our chapter are AT thru-hikers. My chapter (Tittabawasseee) maintains about 80 miles of the NCT in Petoskey and south. We generally move our meetings around because our members are centered in the Saginaw area, but our section of trail is way north. At least one of our meetings is held in Gaylord each year.

Private message me with your email and contact info and I can at least have you added to our mailing list to keep you advised of our activities. No cost for this. We have some work trips planned for the Petoskey area this summer. We also hope to start having monthly outings a little later this year. Maybe convince your folks to come to one or more so that they could get to know some trail people - we're a pretty good bunch, most parents will approve once they meet us. :-)

As far as gear goes. You do not need state of the art, expensive gear to get out for your initial overnights. At your age, having the lightest gear, though still important, is not nearly so critical. Getting experience will serve you much better than waiting to be able to afford the best gear, will be a lot more fun too. Another advantage to joining a group, you may well be able to borrow some decent gear to get you started. Some things like boots/trail runners you will need to buy for yourself.

Let me know if you want to be added to our list. Best of luck convincing your folks. You are at an ideal age to get started in this type of adventure, old enough to be fully capable and responsible, young enough that you can include major adventures into your long-range planning. Best of luck!

Lyle
01-18-2008, 12:50
Just a quick question. How did you become interested in backpacking and possibly a Thru?

ScottP
01-18-2008, 13:19
As a fellow Michigan native, I can tell you that there's not much great hiking in your area. There's some mediocre hiking in Huron-Manistee national forest, and some alright stuff up near Luddington, but really no loops that are long enough to be anything more than day hikes Michigan has just been over-exploited by agriculture and logging.

There's really no good solution. If I were you I'd take up sea kayaking for now--you're on the great lakes--it doesn't get much better than that. You can't expect your parents to let you run off with a bunch of strangers, nor can you expect them to let you hop on a greyhound to North Carolina and go hitching and hiking around. Do well in school so that you can get a scholarship and afford to go to college out of state somewhere in the mountains, and save up some money so that you'll be able to go hiking when the opportunity presents itself.

Lyle
01-18-2008, 13:21
One more thought for you. Going along with the suggestions of joining the Scouts. Have you heard of the Midland to Mackinaw Trail? This is a trail that has been re-built and is currently maintained by the Scouts. Find a troop that is active in this, and you will probably find an active outdoor troop. I can provide you with some Scouting contacts who are very involved with the Midland to Mackinaw too, they are members of the Tittabawassee Chapter of the NCTA. I'm sure they could put you in touch with others who may be closer to you.

Chaco Taco
01-18-2008, 13:21
Just like everyone else said
Join a scouting troop
RUN RUN RUN- never say this enough. At you age, take advantage of your energy and metabolism and just hike and run and bike and then do it again. Your legs can never be too strong.
Dont worry about the parents, give them some time since its all new to them, they will come around.
Make your own gear- stove, shelter. Its a fun hobby and it will teach you better survival skills.
Overnights in the woods- gotta crawl before ya walk.
Also, look at trailjournals.com. Lots of good reading there. Kirby is 16 and is starting in March, maybe talk to him since you guys are near the same age.

Either way, good luck and welcome to the addiction:banana

booney_1
01-18-2008, 13:48
Your local council can point you to a troop or venture crew (coed high school age).

On equipment, don't fall into the trap of searching for the latest and greatest.
Wal-mart (seriously) has very inexpensive stuff. If you don't see it in the store, check out them on-line. Delivery to stores is free.

You CAN backpack with a bookbag, sneakers and cotton jeans. Your first couple of trips should not be much more than a mile or two.

You need to ease into this...

Day hikes where you cook a meal are fun also...you might convince some friends to go on hike by calling it a "bonfire". Even couch potatoes love fires. cook something very simple (even hot dogs on a stick, or foil packets)

I have high school age kids, and I would not let them spend $700 on a new hobby, unless they had spent a considerably time already doing it. I am a scout leader also, and I know the cost of equipment:

starter backpack $60
cheap-o tent $50 (wenzel)
sleeping bag $25 (wal-mart)

I would actually prefer a tarp than a cheap-o tent (which probably weights 6-7 lb), but it depends on the bug situation.

Used equipment is also sometimes available.

You don't need anything else. If you use your book bag, carry your sleeping bag around your chest like a bandelro. Any kind of tarp will work...don't need sil-nylon.

The most important thing...TAKE THE FIRST STEP INTO THE WOODS...
don't let excuses about $$ or equipment stop you.

Rainman
01-18-2008, 14:13
We were all fourteen once. We believed, as you might, that whatever we wanted to do had to be done now. You have a lot of time. Be patient.

The best way to learn a new skill or set of skills is to find someone who has those skills and learn from them. That person would be your mentor. The scouting suggestion has been discussed thoroughly.

The last thing you want to do at fourteen is defy your parents. They will never work with you if you do and it is also just not right. You should try to find a mentor from among your family, like an uncle, or from among your parents' trusted friends. Take opportunities to find out which of your parents' friends do outdoor activities and then ask to join them. Demonstrate a long term commitment.

Finally, until you have spent a lot of time in the outdoors and gained an appreciation of the work involved, you don't really know whether you want to thru hike. I am by no means trying to discourage you. But, the only way to know if you will enjoy something is to try it in little bits.

Good luck.

maxNcathy
01-18-2008, 14:35
Are your parents poor, do you need some basic gear you can't afford? Some of us here may donate some exces gear or a bit of money if really needed to get you started.Do you have a paypal account?

Hoop
01-18-2008, 14:37
Place two chairs in front of your computer and ask your parents read the excellent responses to your sensible question. They might be unfamiliar with the benefits of hiking, and mayly think your interest will pass, which is a natural reaction. Don't just yap at them. Read to learn much as you can, get your buds to join you if there's no organized group already, save money (it's not what you earn, it's what you keep) keep your folks involved.

Did I say keep your folks involved? If they're normal they want that.

alaska moose
01-18-2008, 14:58
Just a quick question. How did you become interested in backpacking and possibly a Thru?

Long story . . . I do this hobby called geo caching (www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com)) and I was on a online store website and came a cross a patch that said "I've cached the Appalachian Trail" so then I googled the AT and became fasanated with it and hiking! So now I'm here 8 months after that . . .

dessertrat
01-18-2008, 15:55
You should see if there is a Scout troop nearby that actually does camping and hiking trips, and get some 20 or 50 mile trips done before you think about thru hiking.

dragonfeet
01-18-2008, 16:05
Is it possible to leave nobo in february? what should I take to keep my bottom half warm and dry. I am worried about sweating too much and it freezing.

Waterbuffalo
01-18-2008, 16:06
If scouts aren't your thing look for a group of explorers group they are more your age group they have them for a ton of things that can get you active like Climbing, Hiking, Law enforcement ride alongs/service.

Panzer1
01-18-2008, 16:31
I'm thinking 2018 !

You'll be married with 2 kids by then..

Panzer

WalkingStick75
01-18-2008, 18:05
Join an ACTIVE scout group in your area that goes on regular camping/backpacking trips. I was in a troupe at one time, all they did was have meetings. I finally found one that enjoyed camping and backpacking. That was my first trip on the AT. I was 16 years old and my first section was in the Smokies and the start of many trips until I finally finished the AT last August.

I made some of my own gear, I got a job so I could pay for my own gear. BTW, my parents weren't too crazy about my hobby either at that time.

bloodmountainman
01-18-2008, 21:22
Welcome to theTrail Moose! Finish school, work hard, save money, and GO!
Get it done young and do it again in your old age. Do not let the dream die. GO when the time is right for you!

River Runner
01-18-2008, 21:59
Welcome Alaska Moose. There's not a lot I can add to the excellent advice already posted. Joining a youth group of some sort is your best bet. If that isn't possible you might check with your local Department of Natural Resources to see if they sponsor any sort of beginner classes.

You don't even necessarily have to start out backpacking. Day hiking and camping will both give you good outdoor experience. If you want to start slowly accumulating gear, ask for outdoor gear for birthday & holiday gifts. As many of the others have said, it doesn't have to be expensive stuff to start with. Sierra Trading Post and Campmor often have reasonably priced gear & special deals. Wal-Mart offers athletic clothing that is very suitable for backpacking. Look for polyester and nylon and try avoiding cotton. If your parents see that this is a lasting interest, they might be willing to buy nicer gear as gifts later.

One important thing is to remember that you need a safe environment to learn. Don't try to go out on your own - make sure you have someone experienced to learn with and camp and travel with others for safety's sake.

HIKER7s
01-19-2008, 19:33
Place two chairs in front of your computer and ask your parents read the excellent responses to your sensible question.

That's a great suggestion Hoop!:banana

alaska moose
02-15-2008, 12:04
I just bought a stove, sleeping bag, and bear bell! I need to get a new sleeping pad the one I bought is too heavy . . .

Rainman
02-15-2008, 12:12
I just bought a stove, sleeping bag, and bear bell! I need to get a new sleeping pad the one I bought is too heavy . . .

Joke: A young hiker meets an old hiker on the trail. The young hiker has a bear bell attached to his pack. The old hiker says to the young hiker: "Do you know how to tell Grizzly bear scat from Black bear scat?" The young hiker says: "No." The old hiker says: "The Grizzly bear scat has a bear bell in it."

Some people call them "Bear dinner bells."

alaska moose
02-19-2008, 15:25
Joke: A young hiker meets an old hiker on the trail. The young hiker has a bear bell attached to his pack. The old hiker says to the young hiker: "Do you know how to tell Grizzly bear scat from Black bear scat?" The young hiker says: "No." The old hiker says: "The Grizzly bear scat has a bear bell in it."

Some people call them "Bear dinner bells."

That's funny! Thanks Rainman . . . well every backpacker from Alpena has told me to get a bear bell.

Lilred
02-19-2008, 16:45
Don't get a bear bell. some people call them bear dinner bells. If you start out with one, you'll get rid of it by day two. Seriously, people will laugh.

envirodiver
02-19-2008, 16:47
I don't think that I could stand to listen to it constantly. When I used an external frame pack the squeak of the frame almost drove me crazy.

GGS2
02-19-2008, 17:53
The only time I've been uneasy about bears is during the spring hunt when they were chumming them. The deal was, they put out a big pile of frozen guts from a meat packer down south, then they sit some poor slob with a rifle up in a tree, and wait for a bear straight out of the den to come in for the free all-you-can-eat. This was to make work for the guides and outfitters who would promise a sure fire bear to the German and American hunters, who would pay big bucks to hunt this way. Wine and camp meals every night, and snipe hunting every day. "Just sit there and don't make a sound."

The natives were kinda sketchy too. They would spend the day running about in big outboards, potting away at whatever moved on the shoreline. I call it drive-by hunting. I told one bunch I had seen a moose and calf, and they just about jumped outta the boat to ask me where. I said upriver a couple days back, and they sat back down. Nice enough guys, but what a strange way to make a living.

BR360
02-19-2008, 18:39
Alaska Moose, I see that there have been many posts to your query about getting involved in Scouting or Venturing, yet I've not seen your response to this idea.

What do you think? And if not Scouts, where will you go to find willing trail-mates and mentors?

Getting all hot for gear is easy, but knowing WHAT gear to get, and how to get it cheap takes time, but is worth the investment of research.

Today, for instance, I got for my son a used CampTrails external frame backpack and a North Face down vest for $10 at my church's month-long rummage sale in the basement of the church. If your parents are willing, they can snoop around for incredible bargains like these when they are out....

ki0eh
02-19-2008, 22:38
I vividly remember my first backpacking trip: my buddy and I had a 5 lb bag of potatoes,

Saay, this wasn't around Burkes Garden, VA, by any chance? :)

alaska moose
02-20-2008, 11:48
Alaska Moose, I see that there have been many posts to your query about getting involved in Scouting or Venturing, yet I've not seen your response to this idea.

What do you think? And if not Scouts, where will you go to find willing trail-mates and mentors?

Getting all hot for gear is easy, but knowing WHAT gear to get, and how to get it cheap takes time, but is worth the investment of research.

Today, for instance, I got for my son a used CampTrails external frame backpack and a North Face down vest for $10 at my church's month-long rummage sale in the basement of the church. If your parents are willing, they can snoop around for incredible bargains like these when they are out....

I said somethng to my mother, she said I'm in enough things . . .(dog sleding,geocaching,4-h,FFA,hiking/backpacking)

envirodiver
02-20-2008, 12:03
Saay, this wasn't around Burkes Garden, VA, by any chance? :)

Big South Fork in Tennessee.

Why did you see someone with a 5 lb bag of potatoes on their pack? Carrying a full bottle of Catsup (plastic lightweight of course.

It's still tempting on shorter trips to throw a frozen steak in the pack with a few potatoes and fry those bad boys up while the steaks are cooking over a fire, break out a bag-o-salad mix up some dry Itlaian dressing and seriously pig out. Top it off with a nice Makers Mark cocktail or 4 .I must admit to doing this on 1 nighters every now and then.

envirodiver
02-20-2008, 12:08
I said somethng to my mother, she said I'm in enough things . . .(dog sleding,geocaching,4-h,FFA,hiking/backpacking)

As a parent I can sort of understand their point. There is school also, and it's pretty important. Maybe you should look at everything you're involved in, sit down and make a list, then determine what is most important to you. Take this to your parents and sit down with them and go over it. I assure you they will be impressed in your ability to assess your situation and make an informed decision.

bullseye
02-20-2008, 12:10

Wow, I have to pull teeth to get my kids interested in good stuff like you're involved in. Look at all your friends who want to watch tv and play games. That, unfortunately, seems to be the natural inclination these days. I would love to see more kids in this country get involved with outdoor activitities. HMMMM, let's see, dogsledding, geocaching, 4-H, FFA, hiking/backpacking OR gangs, drugs, alcohol, skipping school, video games, etc. I'll take the former anyday, and so would your parents. Maybe mom's worries that all these activities will negatively affect you studies, chores, etc. Balance is the key. Don't give up on your dream, but as a parent my advice to you would be to keep the dream alive, but don't be pushy about it in the process. Show your commitment and they'll hear you loud and clear;).

The Weasel
02-20-2008, 12:46
Moose ---

I'm sorry that I haven't yet read all of the posts here (about half) so if I'm repetitive, I'm sorry. But I know Alpena well (and, Lil Red, Farwell even better!!!) from 50 or so years of living in Michigan, and there are a few suggestions others might not know:

First, you may want to consider starting a backpacking club at your high school. Talk to your principal, and she/he may know a teacher with an interest and some experience in it. That's pretty likely, given what 'deer season' means in your part of Michigan. You can probably then get some other students to join, and plan some weekend trips. This allows people who aren't into Scouting, for whatever reason, to share the fun with you.

Second, get used to the 'print' sources of info: Check your library for books on backpacking, including the most recent edition of "The Complete Backpacker." If they don't have it, get it on inter-library loan, or better yet, buy it: It's as close to "the Bible" of backpacking as anyone has done. Then get "Beyond Backpacking" by Ray Jardine so you can learn what "ultralight" backpacking means as a concept.

Third, look for good places to do weekenders. The Manistee Trail is outstanding, and not far from you. There are some excellent trails by Traverse City, including in Sleeping Bear National Seashore, and (when it's warmer and you have a 4 day period), North Manito Island is "wilderness" designated, allowing camping anywhere, including close to about 30 miles of wonderful beach. You're also not far from St Ignace and the North Country Trail, and Taquemenon Falls. Weekends like these get you used to a variety of experiences and are outstanding training for longer trips.

Good luck!

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2008, 13:11
Parents aren't always right but they don't want to be reminded of it.

See if they will clarify WHY they seem opposed to it. If it is a lack of understanding (You already have a pack why do you need a bigger one) or fear (If you get a big pack you will spend the night in the woods and get eaten by bears) you can address the underlying issues in a brief, factual, way.

The advice you're getting about hooking up with others who backpack is good advice. There may also be an outdoor club at a college or university that might have trips you could join or gear to borrow or rent.

You might also figure out a way to combine geo-caching, dog-sledding, and/or 4-H with backpacking. No reason your 4-H club couldn't do a backpacking trip. When I was in it there was wildlife camp and oceanography camp, etc.

Since your mother thinks you're already involved in a lot of things, you might bring up the idea that your interests evolve quite a bit in early adulthood and point out that at least you're into healthy, legal pursuits.

RadioFreq
02-20-2008, 13:42
Weasel's got it right....do lots of weekenders. Camp in the back yard, too. Learn what works for you and what doesn't. You'll also be showing your parental units that you know what you're doing. :-? Then when you're ready for something longer with less of a safety net (no roads, no trail towns) try an extended backpacking trip on Isle Royale. There's plenty of flexibility in the trails there so you can plan hikes of whatever length you're comfortable with.

The Weasel
02-20-2008, 13:52
Oh, and about the bear bell: Use it if you're hiking alone. People who don't live in Michigan don't realize there are a lot of black bears there, and they can be irritable (especially moms with cubs) in the Spring.

TW

minnesotasmith
02-20-2008, 14:01
1) Boy Scouts are good, but Explorers, Outward Bound, and NOLS are better.

2) Hike all you can.

3) I'd consider giving running a miss, as it risks your knees. (That goes 10x for contact sports like football.)

4) Read all the AT books you can, skipping Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods". (I've got a book of my own coming out this summer, entitled "Heavy Hiking" that covers some stuff you'll not often see in other AT books.) Interlibrary loan can (usually for free) get you almost any book not on the shelf, with some patience. Make friends with a couple of librarians.

5) Find hiker/trail-oriented groups other than just youth groups, and hang with them all you can. Older guys know lots of useful stuff that they're just dying to tell a kid like you.

6) Don't expect to get to do much "real" hiking in 95% of the military. And, you won't ever get enough time off while in the mil to do a thruhike before separation/retirement.

7) Spend hundreds of hours reading this site.

8) Visit a hiker hostel or two near where you live in thruhiker season. You'll get your ears productively talked off, and will get to see a wide variety of gear.

9) Learn how to cook, and learn about nutrition.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Paul Bunyan
02-20-2008, 14:09
Hey, great to see a young person excited about getting out in nature. Seriuosly, this is the age to start getting ready. As others have suggested, Boy Scouts can really get you active. As a 17 year old '07 thruhiker, i can say that you don't have to be too much older to do a thru. I know lots of 18-19 year olds that have done the AT. It's not too far off.

Oh yea, and don't listen to Minnesota Smith or Lone Wolf. THey have no idea what they are talking about ;-).

RadioFreq
02-20-2008, 16:51
8) Visit a hiker hostel or two near where you live in thruhiker season. You'll get your ears productively talked off, and will get to see a wide variety of gear.

....not to mention a wide variety of hikers. :D

HIKER7s
02-24-2008, 11:21
Oh, and about the bear bell: Use it if you're hiking alone. People who don't live in Michigan don't realize there are a lot of black bears there, and they can be irritable (especially moms with cubs) in the Spring.

TW

Theres a hint of truth in that Bear bell joke with the scat. :-? Other than wanting to play trail reindeer, I wouldnt use the Bell unless your solo or with 1 partner in pretty active bear country.

When I know I am in an area where there is a lot of bear sign an I am alone I will use my noise maker :eek:, which after awhile i put away cause it drives me nuts. Its 2 old metal measuring spoon sets clanging together as I walk.

I didnt use them this past fall hiking solo up around Wellsboro Pa (Grand Canyon) and sure enough I came upon one at about 40 yards. I was also coming from down wind, so he didnt smell me either.

Terry7
02-24-2008, 14:31
I just bang my hiking poles together every 100 ft or so.

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 16:32
I was about your age when I starting going out doing some solo hikes of my own. If you are serious about doing the AT, you need to be prepared on how it feels to hike by yourself. Start by going on overnight trips that are close to home, in a park that both you and your parents are familiar with. Discuss this with your parents, tell them your exact plans, when you will be back, etc. Even have them drop you off. Camping by yourself will give you a feel on whether or not you really want to do this. It will also give your parents a better comfort level if you begin to prepare them.

The Solemates
02-24-2008, 16:36
I'll also add that I wanted to hike the AT at a young age. My advice would be to be patient. I waited until I graduated college, which was the logical time to hike in my life. The trail will be there. In the mean time, enjoy doing dayhikes, overnights, and spring break trips.