PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter

partinj
01-18-2008, 13:35
I saw these small tubs of peanut butter at foodloin today you get six single size tubs total weight 12oz. Have you folk ever use these.I was gone to take a small jar of peanut butter with me for lunch wonder if these small tubs would be better to take. :confused:

dessertrat
01-18-2008, 13:45
Take as much as you honestly think you will eat, whatever size it is. It's just about the perfect food for hiking, but don't take more than you will eat, because it's heavy.

Blissful
01-18-2008, 13:51
You'll be hungry when the hiker hunger sets in after about 4-6 weeks when your metabolism changes. Take a jar and you'll be glad for it. Reseals easily too. Before that, don't take as much.

saimyoji
01-18-2008, 13:57
Would celery completely coated in PB be preserved in a jar of PB?

Or how about pickled celery to dip in the PB?

envirodiver
01-18-2008, 14:04
Is there really such a thing as pickled celery? Pickled Okra OK, but never heard of pickled celery.

I've used the small containers for short trips and they are about the right size for 1 serving for me. However, if you are planning a long time on the trail, and like peanut butter enough to eat it often, a small plastic jar is probably less container weight per oz of PB.

sonic
01-18-2008, 14:09
We have squeeze tube peanut butter, Jiffy. The best container I've ever taken. It gets smaller as I use it up.

Thoughtful Owl
01-18-2008, 14:12
I saw these small tubs of peanut butter at foodloin today you get six single size tubs total weight 12oz. Have you folk ever use these.I was gone to take a small jar of peanut butter with me for lunch wonder if these small tubs would be better to take. :confused:

These little tubs of PB are nice and handy but they don't reseal. I have used them at work where I can slip it in a zip bag but I usually purchase a small jar and take it with me pbing. The jar is resealable and as Blissful pointed out, when the hiker hunger kicks in you are going to want more.

take-a-knee
01-18-2008, 14:14
Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your ateries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc. You can buy natural PB but you have to stir it (cause the natural oils settle out) and store it in the fridge. Hydrogenated oils are a really efficient preservative, thats why food companies use them, it helps their bottom line, unfortunately they are a slow acting poison of sorts.

I haven't tried this stuff yet, but it looks like the best PB for trail use:

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=8078

Alligator
01-18-2008, 14:38
I used to use the little tubs but they can be hard to find sometimes. Also, the little restaurant jellies have exploded one too many times for me:mad:. They squash easy. So I bought empty tubes and fill those when I plan for a day or two of PB&J. This works well for family trips, kids generally will eat PB&J no problem.

Happy
01-18-2008, 14:44
Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your ateries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc. You can buy natural PB but you have to stir it (cause the natural oils settle out) and store it in the fridge. Hydrogenated oils are a really efficient preservative, thats why food companies use them, it helps their bottom line, unfortunately they are a slow acting poison of sorts.

I haven't tried this stuff yet, but it looks like the best PB for trail use:

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=8078

Try Smart Balance Omega Natural Peanut Butter. No Hydrogenated oil. No transfats.
No refined sugar. Omega 3's from Flaxoil. No refrigeration necessary!! Plastic jar!!

Available at most grocery stores but could be hard to find at small shops.

highway
01-18-2008, 15:05
Try Smart Balance Omega Natural Peanut Butter. No Hydrogenated oil. No transfats.
No refined sugar. Omega 3's from Flaxoil. No refrigeration necessary!! Plastic jar!!

I agree with all the the above. And it is easy to eat with either spoon or knife blade.

take-a-knee
01-18-2008, 15:40

Thanks Happy, I'll check that out, Flaxseed oil is some really healthy fat. I've used those refillable Coglhan's (?) squeeze tubes for PB before, that worked well for me.

Bootstrap
01-18-2008, 16:31
Thanks Happy, I'll check that out, Flaxseed oil is some really healthy fat. I've used those refillable Coglhan's (?) squeeze tubes for PB before, that worked well for me.

Those tubes break on me, it's always the little plastic thing that closes the open base end. I keep thinking there must be a better gizmo to use on that end ...

I currently just stick my peanut butter in a plastic container and eat it with a spoon. Or make Uncle Joe's Moose Goo, with peanut butter, Masa Harina, and honey. It keeps me going ;->

Jonathan

Alligator
01-18-2008, 16:45
Those tubes break on me, it's always the little plastic thing that closes the open base end. I keep thinking there must be a better gizmo to use on that end ...

I currently just stick my peanut butter in a plastic container and eat it with a spoon. Or make Uncle Joe's Moose Goo, with peanut butter, Masa Harina, and honey. It keeps me going ;->

JonathanI've broken one too. The gizmo is a PITA POS:D. Maybe a slotted piece of dowel or squarish piece of wood. Fold it over and slide in the end? Or something like a hair berret?

AT-HITMAN2005
01-18-2008, 17:28
peanut butter is what you eat after lunch and dinner and your still hungry. and i spread it on my pop tarts in the morning. you can also get Goober. its a cross between PB and jelly. only downside, at least in 05 was it had a glass jar instead of plastic. may be different now

saimyoji
01-18-2008, 17:43
peanut butter is what you eat after lunch and dinner and your still hungry. and i spread it on my pop tarts in the morning. you can also get Goober. its a cross between PB and jelly. only downside, at least in 05 was it had a glass jar instead of plastic. may be different now

Get a buddy, one buys a jar of PB, one buys a jar of jelly, plastic jars. Then swap halfies.

dessertrat
01-18-2008, 17:47

Goober is awesome. Too bad about the glass jar.

Happy
01-18-2008, 18:09
Get a buddy, one buys a jar of PB, one buys a jar of jelly, plastic jars. Then swap halfies.

On my digital scale, a 1lb container of smart balance peanut butter and a 12 oz. container of honey weight in at 1lb. 14.7 oz.'s. Both are in plastic containers so no repackaging necessary or fooling with clamps!

Add a package of WW tortillas and you have lunch and/or breakfast for three to four days for less than 3 lbs of weight!!!

Also fast, and very healthy and filling!!! :sun

Panzer1
01-18-2008, 20:44

This is the kind my wife makes me eat.

Panzer

mudhead
01-18-2008, 20:47
You need to stash a jar of Jif in the garage. Give her something to rant about when she catches you.

sheepdog
01-18-2008, 21:16
Jiff Rocks!!!

excuses
01-18-2008, 22:05
If you are doing a through hike, the type isn't going to matter. The fats are metabolized and not stored as often. That is the difference of 3000 calories watching tv and 5000 calories walking 20 miles a day. Just wish I didn't have a peanut allergy. I make a alternative butter out of chick peas though.

take-a-knee
01-18-2008, 22:17
If you are doing a through hike, the type isn't going to matter. The fats are metabolized and not stored as often. That is the difference of 3000 calories watching tv and 5000 calories walking 20 miles a day. Just wish I didn't have a peanut allergy. I make a alternative butter out of chick peas though.

Bulls**t, you need to read up on this dude, you are in the dark. Or don't bother and enjoy your diabetes down the road, ENJOY!

Happy
01-18-2008, 22:23

If you have had heart problems in the past (such as I) or are at the age of possibility, you do not risk it, if possible.

Would almond butter have any effect with your allergy? It would be even more healthy, and provide the medicine for cramps in your legs, etc.as it is the healthest nut behind walnuts.

River Runner
01-18-2008, 22:45
Bulls**t, you need to read up on this dude, you are in the dark. Or don't bother and enjoy your diabetes down the road, ENJOY!

Peanut butter causes diabetes?

excuses
01-18-2008, 22:48
to take a knee, it is like cholesterol, the food that has it is high in fatty acids and all but you can't absorb the cholesterol itself, you make it. it is all different when you are exercising alot as opposed to just moving alot. As I mentioned, it was a thru hike as opposed to sectioning.
To Happy, when I made the almond, it turned out gritty (homemade) I had good luck with the chickpeas (another legume)

take-a-knee
01-18-2008, 23:38
Peanut butter causes diabetes?

No, hydrogenated fats have been linked to type II diabetes. Most peanut butters on the shelf are just one of many sources of these "trans fats". The natural, non-hydrogenated peanut butters are a healthy product.

This link references CVD:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T12-49S6YCR-B&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=a90b31e4a8e67bb69d49f9be61f0a199

Another link on trans fats:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/01/30/FD40307.DTL

If you understand the fluid mosaic theory of cell wall construction it makes perfect sense. Insulin is what allows the glucose to enter the cell wall. If you consume nothing but chemically modified fats for decades, you have nothing but unnatural chemically modified cell walls that don't work properly anymore (insulin resistance). This is hard to prove, but there is a strong correlation between a population's consumption of hydrogenated fats (as crisco and margerine) and the rise of type II (old age) diabetes.

River Runner
01-19-2008, 00:06
No, hydrogenated fats have been linked to type II diabetes. Most peanut butters on the shelf are just one of many sources of these "trans fats". The natural, non-hydrogenated peanut butters are a healthy product.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T12-49S6YCR-B&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=a90b31e4a8e67bb69d49f9be61f0a199

If you understand the fluid mosaic theory of cell wall construction it makes perfect sense. Insulin is what allows the glucose to enter the cell wall. If you consume nothing but chemically modified fats for decades, you have nothing but unnatural chemically modified cell walls that don't work properly anymore (insulin resistance). This is hard to prove, but there is a strong correlation between a population's consumption of hydrogenated fats (as crisco and margerine) and the rise of type II (old age) diabetes.

Thanks for the links. Interesting, but I got from the first one that there was not a signficant affect on blood sugar:

"Differences in fasting insulin and glucose levels were small and would not be predicted to have a large impact on glucose homeostasis. There was no significant effect of dietary fat type on C-reactive protein levels or blood pressure. These data suggest that, as previously demonstrated, the major CVD risk factor adversely affected by dietary trans fatty acids/partially-hydrogenated fat is LDL-cholesterol levels and total cholesterol/HDL-cholesterol ratios."

And in the second, while some of the article does refer to an increase in insulin resistance, it infers that there is more than one factor at work:

"Former Stanford University director of endocrinology Dr. Gerald Reaven named Syndrome X in 1988 after he observed a collection of health problems ultimately linked to cells' inability to process insulin. Also called metabolic syndrome or, more commonly, beer belly syndrome, the prevalence of the condition has increased along with the amount of refined foods and partially hydrogenated oil Americans eat.

And later within the article:

He and others in the food business warn against trans-fat hysteria in a culture where exercise has declined and fast food consumption has increased. In other words, don't blame the food for a fatter, lazier public.

Sounds to me like several factors are involved, including lack of exercise, which generally wouldn't be considered a problem in a thru hike. It also sounds like there is no real need to avoid peanut butter if you are of normal weight, exercise, aren't prone to insulin resistance, and don't have heart disease or clogged arteries. Especially on a thru hike, where you are burning massive calories each day.

Mad Hatter 08
01-19-2008, 00:30
that's why i don't use margarine.

anyhow back on topic, bootstrap the masa harina what is that is that the powder used to make tortillas or something else. it sure does sound good though. one of my fave energy snacks is some pb and honey mixed together it goes great on just about anything

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 00:50
Thanks for the links. Interesting, but I got from the first one that there was not a signficant affect on blood sugar:

"Differences in fasting insulin and glucose levels were small and would not be predicted to have a large impact on glucose homeostasis. There was no significant effect of dietary fat type on C-reactive protein levels or blood pressure. These data suggest that, as previously demonstrated, the major CVD risk factor adversely affected by dietary trans fatty acids/partially-hydrogenated fat is LDL-cholesterol levels and total cholesterol/HDL-cholesterol ratios."

And in the second, while some of the article does refer to an increase in insulin resistance, it infers that there is more than one factor at work:

"Former Stanford University director of endocrinology Dr. Gerald Reaven named Syndrome X in 1988 after he observed a collection of health problems ultimately linked to cells' inability to process insulin. Also called metabolic syndrome or, more commonly, beer belly syndrome, the prevalence of the condition has increased along with the amount of refined foods and partially hydrogenated oil Americans eat.

And later within the article:

He and others in the food business warn against trans-fat hysteria in a culture where exercise has declined and fast food consumption has increased. In other words, don't blame the food for a fatter, lazier public.

Sounds to me like several factors are involved, including lack of exercise, which generally wouldn't be considered a problem in a thru hike. It also sounds like there is no real need to avoid peanut butter if you are of normal weight, exercise, aren't prone to insulin resistance, and don't have heart disease or clogged arteries. Especially on a thru hike, where you are burning massive calories each day.

What you say about exertion and caloric demand being a mitigating factor is true to a degree regarding CVD, the ongoing Framingham heart study proves this, but it also proves exertion only forestalls these deleterious effects, they just happen later in life. A meditterranean diet allows many to live to a very old age and die from old age itself (programmed cell death, after a while your body stops repairing itself). We've been programmed to think, "Well something's going to get us, eat drink and really live it up". This mindset is good for a lot of industries, like food, tobacco, and health care (most of it is a racket) but it isn't good for your health.

Type II diabetes is a modern phenomenon, along with hydrogenated oils. This is a correlation of course, and, as any educated person understands, correlation doesn't establish causation. Hydrogenated oils and CVD is beyond debate at this point. Do you feel lucky?

River Runner
01-19-2008, 01:06
. Do you feel lucky?

I guess I probably do. My parents, grandparents, and great grandparents all lived to a pretty ripe old age, and they ate, among other things, bacon, sausage, eggs, crisco, butter, margarine, and peanut butter. ;)

For the most part, I try to exercise and not worry about what I eat to any great extent. What the media reports is bad for one today will be good for one tomorrow, and vice versa. (E.G. the bad rap eggs took, the bad rap fats took, etc.). The one thing I try not to eat is sugar. I feel much better without it.

Froggy
01-19-2008, 01:18
Peanut oil is not all that bad an oil, as cooking oils go. It's got 18% saturated fat compared to 14% for olive oil.

I buy natural peanut butter and pour the excess oil off to use for cooking (I tend to have excess on hand....). The peanut butter is still plenty good when mixed up afterwards.

Nightwalker
01-19-2008, 03:13
Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your ateries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc.

Read the label. Jif, my favorite trail PB, has 0 grams of hydrogenated fats. Kinda shoots that one in the foot, eh? :)

DBT fan
01-19-2008, 03:18
Peanut oil is not all that bad an oil, as cooking oils go. It's got 18% saturated fat compared to 14% for olive oil.

I buy natural peanut butter and pour the excess oil off to use for cooking (I tend to have excess on hand....). The peanut butter is still plenty good when mixed up afterwards.

I store the unopened jars upside down in the pantry until opening then pouring off the excess oil. Storing upside down a few days allows for easier mixing. I never store it in the fridge.

Smart Balance peanut butter contains Palm oil which is very high in saturated fats. Check the nutritional values at the bottom of http://www.smartbalance.com/PeanutButterFamily.aspx

Palm oil may make for easier stirring and less separation but adds to the "bad" oil content. Most natural peanut buttters are only peanuts and salt.

Nightwalker
01-19-2008, 03:38

Speaking of which, read above post #33--and possibly chill just a little!

GGS2
01-19-2008, 04:17
Yeah, I'm type 2 diabetic, and in my case, the blood sugar level is strongly linked to exercise level. If I am low on drugs and I get hyperglycemic, I just need to do a bunch of squats or go for a long walk to get back down. (I need to work the big leg muscles.) That's if I'm healthy. Right now I have a bum Achilles tendon, which tends to get in the way of exercise. This is really serious for me, so I'm hoping that it'll be better by Spring.

But about fats and health. They keep changing their story about cholesterol and LDLs. It seems that LDL may not be so bad after all, which means eggs and butter and even red meat are ok. The good fat/bad fat discrimination seems to be more complicated than simply HDL/LDL. For instance, it seems that palm oil is not so bad. However, trans fats seem to be bad all over, being mostly absent in natural foods. It seems that what your granny said is mostly truer than what medicine has been saying lately. So eat your pb so long as it is free of trans fat (hydrogenated fat).

The problem with trans fats is that they are hidden in almost all fatty prepared foods, and have been for some time. So the trans fat load in the average American (Canadian) diet is huge. Just now this is changing somewhat, but there is still resistance on the part of deep fat friers and such. So read your labels.

The link to the cholesterol cycle is not clear yet, at least not to me. What does seem obvious is that there is no direct digestive and metabolic pathway for trans fats, as they are very uncommon in natural foods. We just didn't evolve to digest them. But with ordinary fats, they don't metabolize direct to cholesterol. Cholesterol is synthesized on demand, and not necessarily from fat metabolites. So it may be that the unnatural trans fats screw up the cholesterol balance simply by being there where they should not be, and confusing the body's cholesterol sensors. Or something like that.

As to the diabetes link, it may be true, but that would seem to imply that diabetes II should be reversible with diet. I haven't heard that this is true. Probably would take a long time, anyway. In any case, I try to avoid trans fats as much as possible, and I don't worry too much about the rest.

Heater
01-19-2008, 05:04
I had good luck with the chickpeas (another legume)

Plain 'ol ground chickpeas is widely available. (hummus) And very cheap... :rolleyes:

kayak karl
01-19-2008, 09:14

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Sorry, had to say it. must be a character defect:D

Critterman
01-19-2008, 10:01
that's why i don't use margarine.

anyhow back on topic, bootstrap the masa harina what is that is that the powder used to make tortillas .......

Yes, all the supermarkets here carry it.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 12:15
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Sorry, had to say it. must be a character defect:D

So, you don't have a problem spending your last years in a nursing home, after having had a stroke, ****ting in a diaper, too weak to even reposition yourself in the bed you hope you'll die in soon? To each his own.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 12:28
Speaking of which, read above post #33--and possibly chill just a little!

Dude, you're not the only person who'll read these posts. If one person wakes up and realizes they are destroying their health and takes corrective measures my rants are justified. The things I'm saying aren't knew and they are biomedical facts. A lot of the old time body builders, Jack Lallane being the father of them all (he's 93 and studly) are old men now, but they don't look old, and they are still fit, they learned early in life that nutrition was the linchpin of health. You think I'm a nut? Fine, I'll see you in the ER.

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 13:34
So, you don't have a problem spending your last years in a nursing home, after having had a stroke, ****ting in a diaper, too weak to even reposition yourself in the bed you hope you'll die in soon? To each his own.

I don't know that there is any evidence that staying in good health means that one dies quicker or with less misery, when the day finally comes, than someone who has bad health habits. A heart attack is a heart attack, and a stroke is a stroke. In fact, from what I've observed anecdotally, people who are in good health most of their life often die of dementia, which is a long slow way to go. A guy who has a massive heart attack at age 60 from eating greasy burgers his whole life will have a relatively easy end.

Do you know a way to guarantee that your good health habits will ultimately mean a quick and painless death?

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 14:10
I don't know that there is any evidence that staying in good health means that one dies quicker or with less misery, when the day finally comes, than someone who has bad health habits. A heart attack is a heart attack, and a stroke is a stroke. In fact, from what I've observed anecdotally, people who are in good health most of their life often die of dementia, which is a long slow way to go. A guy who has a massive heart attack at age 60 from eating greasy burgers his whole life will have a relatively easy end.

Do you know a way to guarantee that your good health habits will ultimately mean a quick and painless death?

No guarantees in this life, only relatively safe odds. As for a "painless" death, I'm not so sure that exists, unless someone puts a bullet through your brainstem. What is a lot worse than death is not having any health and mobility, for year after year after year. As for dementia, there seem to be dietary factors that affect it, but the big thing is reduced blood flow, IE, sitting on your butt most of your life with an inactive mind (watching TV). If you have a genetic propensity for it you might get it anyway if you live long enough. The best advice I can offer is to research the Mediterranean diet, as it seems to offer the longest lifespan with the best health, and get in the gym and move some iron 2-3 days/week. Get at least three 30min cardio workouts weekly, five is better. One day per week you should try to hit and hold your max heart rate for ten minutes or so (220 minus your age). If you're middle aged and sit all day it might take you a year to get to that level.

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 14:24
No guarantees in this life, only relatively safe odds. As for a "painless" death, I'm not so sure that exists, unless someone puts a bullet through your brainstem. What is a lot worse than death is not having any health and mobility, for year after year after year.

The best advice I can offer is to research the Mediterranean diet, as it seems to offer the longest lifespan with the best health, and get in the gym and move some iron 2-3 days/week. Get at least three 30min cardio workouts weekly, five is better. One day per week you should try to hit and hold your max heart rate for ten minutes or so (220 minus your age). If you're middle aged and sit all day it might take you a year to get to that level.

I think you're still missing my point. I don't dispute that it's a good thing to be in good health, or that one should try to eat right and exercise for a longer life. But you seem to think that only people who abuse their health end up "****ting in diapers" or miserable at the end of their lives. I say nonsense. Those who live long and healthy lives still usually end up dying the same way the unhealthy die. It just takes them longer to get there.

I am not interested in your advice on better living-- I am quite well aware of the benefits of proper diet and exercise. I am interested in finding out how you know that you will be spared the fate you so graphically describe, rather than simply delaying it, by virtue of diet and exercise. Adding years to your life is not the same as changing the manner of your death.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 16:03
I think you're still missing my point. I don't dispute that it's a good thing to be in good health, or that one should try to eat right and exercise for a longer life. But you seem to think that only people who abuse their health end up "****ting in diapers" or miserable at the end of their lives. I say nonsense. Those who live long and healthy lives still usually end up dying the same way the unhealthy die. It just takes them longer to get there.

I am not interested in your advice on better living-- I am quite well aware of the benefits of proper diet and exercise. I am interested in finding out how you know that you will be spared the fate you so graphically describe, rather than simply delaying it, by virtue of diet and exercise. Adding years to your life is not the same as changing the manner of your death.

If you trash your circulatory system by eating gobs of trans and saturated fats and ignore exercise and wind up with high blood pressure, if something else doesn't kill you first, you WILL either have a myocardial infarction (if you are lucky) , a CVA (stroke), or peripheral vascular disease and then the neuropathy (PAIN) that goes with it(or all the above) The western diet guarantees this. Aneurisms run in my family, I may have one pop and die on my feet tommorrow and all my diet and exercise won't add a day to my life...but I may live to be a 100, we never know. All I'm saying is that a healthy lifestyle is the ONLY thing we can do to improve the quality of our later years. If you ignore it, and you are genetically programmed to live long, you'll wish you were dead long before you draw your last breath. I can't offer you a sure thing, only one thing is certain and that is we will all die.

Alligator
01-19-2008, 16:18
Plain 'ol ground chickpeas is widely available. (hummus) And very cheap... :rolleyes:I'm not sure about the supermarket variety, but the usual recipe tends to include tahini paste. (Which in itself is sesame seed butter). But I too was thinking that's just about hummus:).

sheepdog
01-19-2008, 16:24
If you want to live a long healthy life, eat Jif and choose your parents wisely. Good genetics trumps all.

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 16:28
For short stretches, carry a small jar; for longer ones, I carry an 18 oz jar of Skippy Honey Nut. Being a gram weenie with peanut butter is ridiculous. If you're getting close to town and discover your jar is too full and you have more than you need, then you pull out a spoon and eat 3 or 4 quick spoonfulls. You get several hundred high-fat calories and you lose 4-6 ounces of pack weight in about a minute and a half.

Honestly, folks, worrying about several "extra" ounces of peanut butter is ridiculous. It's like discovering you're carying too much candy. Easy solution: Sit on a rock, take out your food bag, and eat the "extra" End of problem. If you think your foodbag has too much in it, then you eat what you don't need to get to town. This is not rocket science.

Old Hillwalker
01-19-2008, 16:42
What about Vegamite?

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 16:43
I can't offer you a sure thing, only one thing is certain and that is we will all die.

Bingo. And you still refuse to understand what I'm asking you. What evidence is there that people who follow all the rules for healthy living won't also die ****ting in their diapers, unable to move, and wishing they were dead? Are they in a special class of healthy people who proceed to reach a proper ripe old age and then drop dead? Wrong. They die just as painfully, but later. Your comments to the contrary are unsubstantiated.

What it boils down to is that people who follow all the rules and eat right and exercise will still end up ****ting in their diapers and wishing they were dead, just later on down the road. You don't seem to want to admit that for some reason.:-?

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 16:58
Bingo. And you still refuse to understand what I'm asking you. What evidence is there that people who follow all the rules for healthy living won't also die ****ting in their diapers, unable to move, and wishing they were dead? Are they in a special class of healthy people who proceed to reach a proper ripe old age and then drop dead? Wrong. They die just as painfully, but later. Your comments to the contrary are unsubstantiated.

What it boils down to is that people who follow all the rules and eat right and exercise will still end up ****ting in their diapers and wishing they were dead, just later on down the road. You don't seem to want to admit that for some reason.:-?

Okay Rat, I'm FOS, eat what ever blows your skirt up man. There is a ton of evidence supporting my view, you think I made all this stuff up? I could google study after study and argue this ad nausem but since I can't "guarantee" you a long, sweet, pain-free life, you and those like you wouldn't listen. Just get a bag of greasy chips and flop on the couch and watch the game, everything will work out okay, I guarantee it.

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 17:03
Okay Rat, I'm FOS, eat what ever blows your skirt up man. There is a ton of evidence supporting my view, you think I made all this stuff up? I could google study after study and argue this ad nausem but since I can't "guarantee" you a long, sweet, pain-free life, you and those like you wouldn't listen. Just get a bag of greasy chips and flop on the couch and watch the game, everything will work out okay, I guarantee it.

You, Sir, are a lunatic.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2008, 17:05
I think that statistically, yeah, a healthy lifestyle can have a positive effect on your life. But as to when, or how, any individual dies still has a huge component of luck, fate, what have you. My wife's uncle never smoked, drank very little, stayed physically fit, ate healthy foods, etc. One day at age 50 he was competeing in a mini-triathlon, he got out of the water after swimming, jumped on his bike and - was dead before he hit the ground. His younger brother, my wife's father, is now 78, smoked for years, eats stuff like deep-fried chicken livers, etc. He'll probably die a slow miserable death, but I'll bet his dead brother would have traded dying miserably for 30+ more years of life.

Appalachian Tater
01-19-2008, 17:27
Just wish I didn't have a peanut allergy. I make a alternative butter out of chick peas though.

Cashew and almond butter are readily available as well.

Panzer1
01-19-2008, 18:04
We go thru a lot of peanutbutter around here. Normally we use the Smart Balance Omega peanut butter. But today there was only enough left to made a half sandwitch. My wife is out right buying some more. But we also had that 2.25 ounce Jiff "to go" peanut butter cups in reserve. So I made half a peanut butter/jelly sandwitch with Smart Balance Omega and the other half with Jiff To Go peanut butter cups.

Results: I should say at the start that I was really hungry when I started. I started eating the half with the Jiff. It was not as good as I was used too. It was awful. No wonder we normally don't use that crap around here. By the time I got to the Omega Smart balance, I was releived to be eating the good stuff again.

Skip the convenance of the Jiff cups. Go with the better stuff.

Panzer

Montego
01-19-2008, 18:22
Like the man said at his 100th Birthday Party, "If I knew I was gonna' live this long, I would've taken better care of myself!" :D

Panzer1
01-19-2008, 18:55
If anyone wants my Jiff To Go peanut butter cups, you can have it...:banana

Panzer
ps: I think they should add a dancing peanut to the list of post icons.

mudhead
01-19-2008, 19:09
I wonder if the Jif to go is any different than what I am used to eating. I once got a monster (two handed grab out of the cupboard) Hannaford brand jar for Christmas, and once it was done went back to Jif. It had an odd taste. Molasses maybe.

I like molasses. Any true BBQ involves molasses. Ha!

Fiddleback
01-19-2008, 20:45

Refrigeration? People refrigerate peanut butter? I've never seen refrigerated peanut butter and certainly have never eaten any...

FYI, trans fats result from patially hydrogenated oils and peanut butter, other than the 'natural' stuff, uses partially hydrogentated oil. But the amount of partially hydrogenated oil used in peanut butters is so small that virtually all peanut butters qualify for a "zero trans fat' label. In other words, the trans fat content is too low to accurately measure.

Those natural peanut butters without the partially hydrogenated oils will usually separate some requiring the peanut oil to be strirred back in. Reminds me of the big bowls of peanut butter in my college dorm cafeteria...:(

FB

Topcat
01-19-2008, 21:35
Peanut butter is a staple in my pack. I used to be able to find the tubes but cant anymore around here so i just carry a jar now and dont worry about the weight.

it does amaze me though, that there can be such anger over such a simple topic. If you worry about such stuff as Take a Knee, then eat what he says, if you dont worry about it, then dont. I dont know why people have to scream at each other at the the top of their lungs.

There are no guarantees in this life

Alligator
01-19-2008, 22:05
There are no guarantees in this lifeEat too much PB and you will get fat:jump.

Topcat
01-19-2008, 22:08
ok then..there is one guarantee:rolleyes:

Nightwalker
01-19-2008, 23:04
Dude, you're not the only person who'll read these posts. If one person wakes up and realizes they are destroying their health and takes corrective measures my rants are justified. The things I'm saying aren't knew and they are biomedical facts. A lot of the old time body builders, Jack Lallane being the father of them all (he's 93 and studly) are old men now, but they don't look old, and they are still fit, they learned early in life that nutrition was the linchpin of health. You think I'm a nut? Fine, I'll see you in the ER.

Your original post said that "Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your arteries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc."

When I showed you that was not true (Skippy and Jif both have 0 grams of Trans Fat per serving), you just went into attack the messenger mode. If your facts are bogus, don't expect to be taken very seriously. And attacking doesn't help.

P.S. All three of my cholesterol numbers are in great shape, as is my blood sugar (long-term via the A1C test) and my triglycerides. My Stress Test of last year gave me a 99+ percent chance of avoiding a stroke or heart attack for the next 5 years. What ER are you expecting to see me in? Maybe the Trauma Center when I break something hiking? :)

You might or might not be a nut. But you're at least a little shrill and abrasive, and that gets you nowhere in an argument amongst semi-civilized people. Here, maybe. I don't know.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 23:22
Your original post said that "Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your arteries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc."

When I showed you that was not true (Skippy and Jif both have 0 grams of Trans Fat per serving), you just went into attack the messenger mode. If your facts are bogus, don't expect to be taken very seriously. And attacking doesn't help.

P.S. All three of my cholesterol numbers are in great shape, as is my blood sugar (long-term via the A1C test) and my triglycerides. My Stress Test of last year gave me a 99+ percent chance of avoiding a stroke or heart attack for the next 5 years. What ER are you expecting to see me in? Maybe the Trauma Center when I break something hiking? :)

You might or might not be a nut. But you're at least a little shrill and abrasive, and that gets you nowhere in an argument amongst semi-civilized people. Here, maybe. I don't know.

"ATTACKED"? Nightwalker you don't know what an attack looks like I presume. I am overjoyed you'll live to be 150 my friend. If both Skippy and Jif are now "transfat-free", that is a recent turn of events I assure you sir. And why, praytell, do you think that is, because they are truly concerned about Nightwalkers' lab results? No, if in fact that is the case, it occured because some fat butterbutt lawyer (those lawyers like french cuisine) told them they were looking at millions in class-action lawsuits if they didn't when the evidence was presented to the company board of directors. Evidently fat, quiche-eatin' lawyers are better informed nutrionally than a lot of WB'ers.

Nightwalker
01-19-2008, 23:56
"ATTACKED"? Nightwalker you don't know what an attack looks like I presume. I am overjoyed you'll live to be 150 my friend. If both Skippy and Jif are now "transfat-free", that is a recent turn of events I assure you sir. And why, praytell, do you think that is, because they are truly concerned about Nightwalkers' lab results? No, if in fact that is the case, it occured because some fat butterbutt lawyer (those lawyers like french cuisine) told them they were looking at millions in class-action lawsuits if they didn't when the evidence was presented to the company board of directors. Evidently fat, quiche-eatin' lawyers are better informed nutrionally than a lot of WB'ers.

You need to hike.

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 00:01
You need to hike.

You got that right Nightwalker, when do you want to go man?

Panzer1
01-20-2008, 00:16
wow, a peanut butter war...:banana

Alligator
01-20-2008, 00:37
A jar of PB in the pack is worth two in the hiker box.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2008, 01:20
A jar of PB in the pack is worth two in the hiker box.

I remember living for a few days once on a jar of PB, a jar of honey, and a six pack of English muffins.

vonfrick
01-20-2008, 01:20
[quote=Topcat;506353]Peanut butter is a staple in my pack. I used to be able to find the tubes but cant anymore around here so i just carry a jar now and dont worry about the weight.

I just found peanut butter in foil packets the other day at EMS. Much like giant ketchup packets and ridiculously expensive, but what do you do with the empty space in the jar when its half gone? I ususally buy a 6 pack of bagels because they can take the squishing, evenly distribute the pb and leave the empty jar in town.

Alligator
01-20-2008, 01:30
Come to think of it, I think they make small tubes (not tubs) of PB. These were sold in the supermarket. I forget what brand.

I just don't eat anywhere near the PB that a thru-hiker might, so the jar is just way overkill for me even for a week+ trip.

Topcat
01-20-2008, 08:48
[quote=vonfrick;506448][quote=Topcat;506353]Peanut butter is a staple in my pack. I used to be able to find the tubes but cant anymore around here so i just carry a jar now and dont worry about the weight.

I just found peanut butter in foil packets the other day at EMS. Much like giant ketchup packets and ridiculously expensive, but what do you do with the empty space in the jar when its half gone? /quote]

I usually just stare at it and sigh.......

Topcat
01-20-2008, 08:49
Take a knee...are you thru hiking this year?

craigf07
01-20-2008, 09:24
My favorite snack - Peanut Butter "Pemmican". Pulverized jerky, crushed dried blueberries, and PB to bind it all together. I mix it up and put it back in the plastic jar.

Topcat
01-20-2008, 10:45
I was watching a food network special about peanut butter and it said in the 50's someone sold an Peanut Butter-bacon combo in a jar.

To great things that taste great together..lol

cbserafin7
01-20-2008, 10:50
There is a product on the market called PB2. Powdered PB. www.bellplantation.com (http://www.bellplantation.com)
75% less fat which may not work for hiker diet; however it is lite, lite, lite. In hot chocolate a teaspoon - tablespoon is awesome. Mixed right in with jelly with out adding an water. Superb!!!!
Try it you may like it. Indygirl

mudhead
01-20-2008, 10:54
http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

Kind of pricey.

Plus it is not Jif.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2008, 11:12
I wonder if some people shorten their lives and develop ulcers, hypertension, etc, because of the stress of figuring out what they and others should eat to remain healthy? :-?

Happy
01-20-2008, 13:00
:o
Refrigeration? People refrigerate peanut butter? I've never seen refrigerated peanut butter and certainly have never eaten any...

FYI, trans fats result from patially hydrogenated oils and peanut butter, other than the 'natural' stuff, uses partially hydrogentated oil. But the amount of partially hydrogenated oil used in peanut butters is so small that virtually all peanut butters qualify for a "zero trans fat' label. In other words, the trans fat content is too low to accurately measure.

Those natural peanut butters without the partially hydrogenated oils will usually separate some requiring the peanut oil to be strirred back in. Reminds me of the big bowls of peanut butter in my college dorm cafeteria...:(

FB

Yes, some people do refrig natural peanut butter, and as I also do, Almond butter, in part, due to the separation you referred to in the latter part of your statement, as well as what is recommended on the jar by the company.

What part of my quote makes you believe that I need any info or explaining to on the history and findings and FDA regulations on trans fat labeling??

I might add it was not until January, 2007 that this went into effect even though it was approved over a year prior, giving companies time to lower their transfat labels to FDA contents, as you correctly stated!

My statement was an answer and response to take-a-knee's posting on natural peanut butter for hiking. It was not, and is not intended to change the believes and choices that other hikers prefer! :):sun:)

Bob S
01-20-2008, 15:01
There is a product on the market called PB2. Powdered PB. www.bellplantation.com (http://www.bellplantation.com)
75% less fat which may not work for hiker diet; however it is lite, lite, lite. In hot chocolate a teaspoon - tablespoon is awesome. Mixed right in with jelly with out adding an water. Superb!!!!
Try it you may like it. Indygirl

That looks interesting, I’m going to order some and see how it tastes. A new food to try is always a good thing.

GGS2
01-20-2008, 15:39
My favorite snack - Peanut Butter "Pemmican". Pulverized jerky, crushed dried blueberries, and PB to bind it all together. I mix it up and put it back in the plastic jar.

Now that is a truly worthwhile idea. I'll try it next chance I get. Thanks.

Fiddleback
01-20-2008, 21:05
:o

Yes, some people do refrig natural peanut butter, and as I also do, Almond butter, in part, due to the separation you referred to in the latter part of your statement, as well as what is recommended on the jar by the company.

What part of my quote makes you believe that I need any info or explaining to on the history and findings and FDA regulations on trans fat labeling??

I might add it was not until January, 2007 that this went into effect even though it was approved over a year prior, giving companies time to lower their transfat labels to FDA contents, as you correctly stated!

My statement was an answer and response to take-a-knee's posting on natural peanut butter for hiking. It was not, and is not intended to change the believes and choices that other hikers prefer! :):sun:)

I'll be darned!:D So what's refrigerated peanut butter like? (I think cooling often diminishes flavor, e.g., chocolate, fruit...) Is the pb brought up to room temp before eating? Is the refrigeration done to minimize separation or is there a spoilage issue? And how does all that play out on the trail?

Going the other way, does heating 'natural' peanut butter increase the oil separation, e.g., spreading it on hot toast?

My comments about trans fats were intended to point out that 'natural' peanut butter has no significant (trans fat) health advantage over the mass produced, major brands...most if not all pb's can claim, "zero trans fat." From what I understand, about the only ingredient difference between 'natural' and 'other' pb's is that small amount of partially hydrogenated oils used to stabilize the pb.

Now where's my shopping list...?;)

FB

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 21:34
Wow, I never thought I'd see such a fight over Peanut Butter. My goodness, take-a-knee, even my doctor isn't as fired up about health food as you are.

I will tell you ALL this, when THE MEN UPSTAIRS decides it's your time, guess what, it's your time. It does not matter what you eat or how much you exercise. Now, i try to live at least a partially healthy live. I eat decent. I try to hike at least 5 miles a week, sometimes LOTS more, but at the very least 5.

Also, I think an awful lot of the health problems are related to what we are feeding the animals and how we are fertilizing the plants in the modern age. My great grandfather lived to be 90 and his wife feed him biscuits and gravy, eggs, and sausage or bacon each and every morning for 65 years. He chewed tobacco and grew most of it himself. His wife, my great grandmother lived to almost 95. She ate what he ate and dipped snuff.

Now, all that being said, I eat a local mixture sold at Ingles here that is all natural peanut butter and honey. It comes in little plastic bowls, about 6 ounces. Delicious and healthy.

But I sure aint gonna worry about no ones health but my own. Ya'll be nice now, ya hear!!

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 21:34
I'll be darned!:D So what's refrigerated peanut butter like? (I think cooling often diminishes flavor, e.g., chocolate, fruit...) Is the pb brought up to room temp before eating? Is the refrigeration done to minimize separation or is there a spoilage issue? And how does all that play out on the trail?

Going the other way, does heating 'natural' peanut butter increase the oil separation, e.g., spreading it on hot toast?

My comments about trans fats were intended to point out that 'natural' peanut butter has no significant (trans fat) health advantage over the mass produced, major brands...most if not all pb's can claim, "zero trans fat." From what I understand, about the only ingredient difference between 'natural' and 'other' pb's is that small amount of partially hydrogenated oils used to stabilize the pb.

Now where's my shopping list...?;)

FB

A "small" amount of arsenic won't hurt you occasionally...maybe. You are proving my "fat lawyer" point again.

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 21:40
A "small" amount of arsenic won't hurt you occasionally...maybe. You are proving my "fat lawyer" point again.

Hey, Take-a-Knee, maybe you need to unsubscribe to this thread. Your level of frustration with the "fat lawyers" here is raising your stress level which in turn raises your blood pressure, which eventually can cause a number of health problems, including death.

Unsubscribe to this thread, go to your local liquor store, buy the most expensive bourbon you can find, drink a small amount over crushed ice nightly one hour after your evening meal. You will add time to your life by following these simple instructions.

Montego
01-20-2008, 21:42
Or a good glass of red wine with dinner. Ask any Italian, they'll tell 'ya :D

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 21:43
Or a good glass of red wine with dinner. Ask any Italian, they'll tell 'ya :D

Any kind of wine after a few glasses seem to calm me down. I tend to drink the local muscadine based wines.

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 21:45
Hey, Take-a-Knee, maybe you need to unsubscribe to this thread. Your level of frustration with the "fat lawyers" here is raising your stress level which in turn raises your blood pressure, which eventually can cause a number of health problems, including death.

Unsubscribe to this thread, go to your local liquor store, buy the most expensive bourbon you can find, drink a small amount over crushed ice nightly one hour after your evening meal. You will add time to your life by following these simple instructions.

BTW way, I tend to be partial to the Woodford Reserve brand of Bourbon. If you can't find that, Eagle Rare Single Barrel 15 year is a fine bourbon as well.

River Runner
01-20-2008, 21:52

Considering how adament he is against anyone eating regular old peanut butter, I am sure we will soon be getting a tirade about the dangers of bourbon, and the maladies it causes. :rolleyes:

vonfrick
01-20-2008, 22:35
i think peanut butter pairs best with a nice belgian abbey ale myself- or two. :)

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 22:40

John, I do 100+ floors on one of these twice weekly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZKXNG

After stretching and a shower my BP runs about 115/75.

That is sound, healthy advice about a nightcap, I'll certainly avail myself to it.

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 22:50
Considering how adament he is against anyone eating regular old peanut butter, I am sure we will soon be getting a tirade about the dangers of bourbon, and the maladies it causes. :rolleyes:

No diatribes against 2oz of alcohol daily from me. That is a healthy way to end the day. It ain't just PB folks, it is hydrogenated (read chemically modified to enhance profits) fat that is some wicked stuff. A lot of you guys sound like teenage potheads, "I ain't doin' nothing wrong, this stuff never hurt nobody."

As for taking nutritional advise from a doctor, that is like getting stock tips from a mechanic...try a nutritionist. Most chiropractors have ten times the nutritional knowledge of the average MD (look at your doc's waistline). There are a lot a fairly young, fit MD's who've used their extensive knowledge of physiology and studied applied nutrition on their own but is isn't part of most med school's curriculum.

Bulldawg
01-20-2008, 22:50
John, I do 100+ floors on one of these twice weekly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZKXNG

After stretching and a shower my BP runs about 115/75.

That is sound, healthy advice about a nightcap, I'll certainly avail myself to it.

I honestly am happy for ya. Honestly myself though, I'd rather hike than shell out that $5K for three stairs that rotate!!!:eek::eek::eek:

sheepdog
01-20-2008, 22:51
Craigf07

Now if you could just do that with bacon.:-?.....

take-a-knee
01-20-2008, 22:59
I honestly am happy for ya. Honestly myself though, I'd rather hike than shell out that $5K for three stairs that rotate!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I couldn't afford to buy one, I get on the one at my local AF Base gym. A Precor elliptical trainer is worth the money (3K) though. That step mill is the best trainer for a hiker there is IMO, it bothers my knees if I do it more that 3 times/week.

kytrailman
01-21-2008, 00:14
Peregrine Outfitters makes refillable squeeze tubes that can be used for just about anything of 'squeezable' texture. I have been using them for years. Fill one with PB and one with Nutella. You can bounce a big jar and refill when needed.

take-a-knee
01-21-2008, 00:22
Peregrine Outfitters makes refillable squeeze tubes that can be used for just about anything of 'squeezable' texture. I have been using them for years. Fill one with PB and one with Nutella. You can bounce a big jar and refill when needed.

These are something different than the Coglhan's? Some here said the pin on those would break.

Bob S
01-21-2008, 00:41
These are something different than the Coglhan's? Some here said the pin on those would break.

I had the Coglhan ones years ago, they would come apart when you squeezed them. The end of the tube would not hold tight enough. It would have been a great idea if the tube worked right.

take-a-knee
01-21-2008, 00:57

I Googled Peregrine and they appear to be wholesale only, if anyone has a source on these tubes please post it.

Bob S
01-21-2008, 01:07
Peregrine Outfitters has a web site with a link on the left side to order.

Nightwalker
01-21-2008, 01:13
After stretching and a shower my BP runs about 115/75.My only exercise is hiking (and walking 3 MPD between hikes). I'm somewhat overweight by choice (IOW, I don't currently care to go to the effort to lose it all), and my BP was 125/70 just this evening. My heart rate is up since the Summer, though, to a scary 72 BPM. :)

My heart rate got down to 59 last Summer when I was hiking tons. Staying hydrated keeps that lower than it would be otherwise. The only thing that I take that contributes to the lower BP is a magnesium supplement. It's a natural calcium channel blocker, and moderates my cluster headaches quite a bit.

I think I'll stick to what I'm doing, even though I eventually plan on working on the weight. Could my good numbers be due to genetics, maybe? Maybe a "total calories burned per year" kinda thing? I have no idea. All I know is that my doctor is pleased and I don't stress about it too much. He never even mentions my weight, I guess because the BP/cholesterol/heartrate/etc. is all as low as an athletic 20-something.

Anyway, back to the original argument. PB is NOT loaded with trans fats. I'm not sure where you got the info. Peter Pan and Jif both list 0 grams of trans fats per serving. That was all that I was arguing with you about in the first place.

Obviously, a better diet is healthier than a poorer one. I think that you might have been thinking that I was trolling you about that one. All I was ever saying was that you were mistaken about your info on the "most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat" (post 8). It's just not true. That was the entire reason for my disagreeing with you on this subject Definitely not your (correct) statement that trans fats and other commonly used nasties are bad.

I just wanted to straighten that out. :)

I'm leaving for a hike as soon as my wife wakes up at 3 A.M. I'll talk to you when I get back. Hopefully, we'll find a subject next time that we agree on!

take-a-knee
01-21-2008, 01:55
My only exercise is hiking (and walking 3 MPD between hikes). I'm somewhat overweight by choice (IOW, I don't currently care to go to the effort to lose it all), and my BP was 125/70 just this evening. My heart rate is up since the Summer, though, to a scary 72 BPM. :)

My heart rate got down to 59 last Summer when I was hiking tons. Staying hydrated keeps that lower than it would be otherwise. The only thing that I take that contributes to the lower BP is a magnesium supplement. It's a natural calcium channel blocker, and moderates my cluster headaches quite a bit.

I think I'll stick to what I'm doing, even though I eventually plan on working on the weight. Could my good numbers be due to genetics, maybe? Maybe a "total calories burned per year" kinda thing? I have no idea. All I know is that my doctor is pleased and I don't stress about it too much. He never even mentions my weight, I guess because the BP/cholesterol/heartrate/etc. is all as low as an athletic 20-something.

Anyway, back to the original argument. PB is NOT loaded with trans fats. I'm not sure where you got the info. Peter Pan and Jif both list 0 grams of trans fats per serving. That was all that I was arguing with you about in the first place.

Obviously, a better diet is healthier than a poorer one. I think that you might have been thinking that I was trolling you about that one. All I was ever saying was that you were mistaken about your info on the "most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat" (post 8). It's just not true. That was the entire reason for my disagreeing with you on this subject Definitely not your (correct) statement that trans fats and other commonly used nasties are bad.

I just wanted to straighten that out. :)

I'm leaving for a hike as soon as my wife wakes up at 3 A.M. I'll talk to you when I get back. Hopefully, we'll find a subject next time that we agree on!

Being a little overweight isn't much of a CVD risk from what I've read. Belly fat alone is apparantly a lot worse (they call this metabolic syndrome now). The person that stores subcutaneous fat all over doesn't start to really have a problem until their BMI gets over 25, that is what most would call chubby. What it could possibly cause is type II diabetes in old age, then the diabetes causes CVD. My wife has struggled maintaining a healthy weight, I always told her she needed to cut carbs, she became lactose intolerant several years ago and was forced to stop eating a lot of the junk she was eating 'cause it all contained milk. She started losing weight and has kept it off. I believe the Atkins or South Beach type diets work for such people. If you are already walking that is great, if you do want to try to lose more weight I would suggest adding a resistance program (weights). I hope you have a good hike.

highway
01-21-2008, 08:04
It is usually found in th health food section of supermarkets but a peanut butter lookalike is one made from soy beans. It tastes similar, looks like it, and does separate if left standing at room temp but all you do is give it a stir before spreading; no refrigeration required, just as with all the rest of the peanut butters. But I still prefer the Smart Balance one made with flax seed and real peanuts

budforester
01-21-2008, 19:53
Would celery completely coated in PB be preserved in a jar of PB?

Or how about pickled celery to dip in the PB?

No, too much water would be available => microbial growth and spoilage.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 19:54

just get the small plastic jar and carry that