PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Virginia starting March 15

visionrider
01-18-2008, 20:42
I'm planning on hiking from Damascus to Harper's ferry this Spring. I may have to start around March 15th. Will I have many opportunities to meet other hikers at that time of the year? Are hostels and stores open? I assume starting after April 1st would be better; is that true?

Thanks,

Jeff

Georgia John
01-18-2008, 21:55
If its fellow hiker’s you’d like to meet, why not start at Springer?

River Runner
01-18-2008, 22:05
You'll probably see a lot of weekend and section hikers.

TOW
01-18-2008, 23:20
You should encounter many people along the way.

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2008, 23:50
How many people do you want to see? You will see some, Like River Runner said - you'll see mostly section/weekend/day hikers. I don't believe you'll see too many thru-hikers though. Most start between March and April, so you'll be starting with the pack, but with a head-start.

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2008, 23:56
Are hostels and stores open? I assume starting after April 1st would be better; is that true?

Thanks,

Jeff
I assume the hostels in Virginia are open in March, but you can look up the numbers in a guide book and call to make sure, Do you have a book?

Is April 1st better - depends what you want from your hike, but whether you start mid-March or April 1, it will be cold, very cold. I would have some very warm stuff with me.

River Runner
01-19-2008, 00:11
Is April 1st better - depends what you want from your hike, but whether you start mid-March or April 1, it will be cold, very cold. I would have some very warm stuff with me.

Or it could be warm, very warm. (Although even then it is likely the nights will still be cold for the most part.) Best to be flexible.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2008, 00:51
You will see section and a few earlybirds.

Thoughtful Owl
01-19-2008, 11:41
Yeah, most of the hostels and stores are open. You will see mostly section hikers during this time of year but every once in a while I have met up with a through hiker who left Springer early.

Darwin again
01-19-2008, 14:02
I assume the hostels in Virginia are open in March, but you can look up the numbers in a guide book and call to make sure, Do you have a book?

I agree. Very, very cold in the last of March. April 1st is still not out of the possible icy cold zone yet, but better.

Blissful
01-19-2008, 14:57
Most services in SNP will be closed until May except Big Meadows. Including water faucets.

And it can still snow in April. It did last year. And we can get cold snaps in early May or hot weather. You never know. The other thing with starting that early is missing the great rhododendron display in the Blue Ridge. But a great time of year to hike with super winter views still and the coming spring with dogwood and redbud.

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 15:23
...And it can still snow in April. It did last year....
Probably around the same time this happened near Springer on 09 Apr 07
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17901&catid=member&imageuser=6936

visionrider
01-19-2008, 19:47
Thanks for the info. I will hold off starting my hike until the first week in April. I hiked from Springer to Damascus last Spring.

Jeff

Darwin again
01-20-2008, 00:22
Probably around the same time this happened near Springer on 09 Apr 07
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17901&catid=member&imageuser=6936

Yep. I was out on a section south of Harpers Ferry when that front hammered through last year. It went from 70s and sunshine to 30s during the day and teens at night. Butt frozen off. Smartwools on hands, ice in water bottles, snow flurries. Brrrr. Good times. sort of. Last really cold weather of the year. :rolleyes: