PDA

View Full Version : Australian hiker - Visa problems

ember
01-18-2008, 21:12
Hi
My goal is to southbound this July. However, because I live in Australia I'm only entiled to a 3 month visa, which isn't enough time to attempt the whole trail. Has anybody met any other international hikers that have got around this issue. Apparently scooting into Canada or Mexico and returning into the states doesn't work. Have any hikers from other countries been able to get an extended visa? If so, how? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to any helpful hints.
Cheers
Ember

Georgia John
01-18-2008, 21:28
Just curious, but they wouldn’t know you overstayed your visa until they checked you in at the airport, right? What’s the penalty for overstaying?

WalkingStick75
01-18-2008, 21:43
Met another ausi several years ago in VA. He purchased a ticket back hope leaving Maine a couple weeks after his expected finish date. He figured if he keeps out of trouble and he shows up at the airport with a ticket home what they going to do?

Now this was all before 9-11 but I still think, what they going to do? Probably just put you on the plane.

Enjoy your hike.

Montego
01-18-2008, 21:56
Check this one out http://www.sott.net/articles/show/14...isiting-the-US

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-18-2008, 22:03
Hi Ember,
The 3 month limit is only on the Visa Waiver program. This program lets you visit the US for 90 days without having to apply for a visa. If you want to stay longer you have to get a visa. I got one for my thru in 2006. It's not hard to get one (although the process is a little annoying as you have to visit the US consulate for an interview). Here's a link to the US Consulate web site that has all the details on applying for a visa.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visas/niv/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions about arrangements for your hike or the trail itself, happy to help out with information & my experiences on the trail.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Montego
01-18-2008, 22:05
OOPS - sorry about the above post - wrong link. I couldn't get it to work but it was the link from another thread here on WB about an Icelander that ran afoul of US Customs due to "over staying" her previous visit in the US.

Georgia John
01-18-2008, 22:31
Hey Montego, got your new “National ID” yet?

Montego
01-18-2008, 22:33
Hey Montego, got your new “National ID” yet?

Why? I know who I am :D

Georgia John
01-18-2008, 23:00
Montego,
Yea, use that line on a trail runner in the GSMNP and see how far that gets you.

Downunda
01-19-2008, 03:41
I got a 6 month visa in 2002. Has it changed?

Downunda
01-19-2008, 03:43
I don't recommend overstaying your visa. I believe the penalty for overstaying is to bar you from future entry for x period. You will always have a black mark against you.

Newb
01-19-2008, 14:24
There we go. Problem solved. Do the interview thing.