PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Velox 1

Heater
01-18-2008, 22:41
Anybody seen one of these yet? It looks like a winner.

Velox 1 (http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=949)

rafe
01-19-2008, 09:34
It looks like a Tarptent Rainbow with two ridge poles instead of one. (And a pound heavier than the rainbow.)

Heater
01-19-2008, 10:02
It looks like a Tarptent Rainbow with two ridge poles instead of one. (And a pound heavier than the rainbow.)

:confused: It may look like the Rainbow from the outside after set up but:

Double walled vs single walled is a pretty big distinction. Completely closed up from the floor up on two sides of the inner tent. (Warmer) The poles being completely different, like you said, seems like it would add much more stability. The swift clips also keep you from having to thread the poles through that sleeve... etc... etc.. make it a very different tent.
I think it (Velox 1) has it's advantages.

It is more like a single version of the two person SD lightning (great tent) than the Rainbow.

Heater
01-19-2008, 10:16
The thing I am not too sure about is how it is on the coverage where it changes from single wall on the back (and side?) to double wall under the vestibule. I haven't seen any good pics yet. I am going to call REI today and see if they have one I can look at.

rafe
01-19-2008, 10:33
The Tarptent Rainbow is double-walled on its vestibule side -- it has an inner wall of netting, and an outer wall of silnylon. The Velox appears similar or identical in that regard. Yes, the Rainbow has one continuous long sleeve for its (single) ridge pole, as opposed to clips.

Heater
01-19-2008, 11:04
The Tarptent Rainbow is double-walled on its vestibule side -- it has an inner wall of netting, and an outer wall of silnylon. The Velox appears similar or identical in that regard. Yes, the Rainbow has one continuous long sleeve for its (single) ridge pole, as opposed to clips.

The Velox looks to be double walled on two sides and at least partially double walled on a small part of the back and other side where it makes the transition from double to single. Also, over the top of the tent is doubled. How much of an of an overlap I'll have to see.

I like how it is completely closed on two sides and has fabric coming up from the ground 10" of so like my Lightning does. I also like how it has a venting window up top under the fly.