PDA

View Full Version : Maps

kayak karl
01-18-2008, 23:29
I read that you should wright on maps with an Alcohol Pen, but i can't find any. did searchs but nothing that i can be sure is the pen i need. any help out there:-?
Thanks
Hike Safe

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 00:04
1. What's an alcohol pen?
2. From what did you read this and what is the date of this book/publication?
3. I write on my maps with a normal pen, no problems.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 01:13
Alcohol pens are sold at most military clothing stores. They are for writing on maps that have acetate overlaid on them. They are smudge resistant and can be erased with an alcohol prep pad.

kayak karl
01-19-2008, 07:50
1. What's an alcohol pen?
2. From what did you read this and what is the date of this book/publication?
3. I write on my maps with a normal pen, no problems.
saw it on rock's site http://hikinghq.net/compass/lesson_1.html

kayak karl
01-19-2008, 07:57
saw it on rock's site http://hikinghq.net/compass/lesson_1.html
this is for writing on waterproof maps. i also use a pen for my other TOPO's. different color each trip.

WalkinHome
01-19-2008, 14:53
Most high end office supply stores carry these and stores that sell quality drafting supplies also. As has been said, military clothing/book stores have them also. Do not forget that it will only come off with alcohol. Mail order you can try Brigade Quartermaster (if still around) and likewise 1st Cavalry.

mountain squid
01-19-2008, 15:14
You can't go wrong with an ultra fine point Sharpie. Additionally, if you have the time, suggest you transcribe the data from the Companion/Guidebook (Hi Laces!!) to your maps. That way you don't have to carry the Companion/Guidebook.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

kayak karl
01-19-2008, 15:18
You can't go wrong with an ultra fine point Sharpie. Additionally, if you have the time, suggest you transcribe the data from the Companion/Guidebook (Hi Laces!!) to your maps. That way you don't have to carry the Companion/Guidebook.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Bearpaw
01-19-2008, 15:45
The beauty of a laminated map and alcohol penned map is that you can remove the writing later. It was extremely useful as a supporting arms observer where I would write grids and occasionally work a bit of math to put rounds or bombs on a target, then wipe it all away later.

But in the hiking world, I haven't needed an alcohol marker in my nine years of civilian life and this is when over 5000 miles of my walking have occurred. It's just not that big of a deal.