PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru-hike Group Forming

Alilalien
01-19-2008, 05:47
Real name is Chris But I like to go by "Guy"
NOBO
March 15-17th
Approach Trail

Looking for other hikers that are interested in group hiking. Please reply with any contact information so that you can meet the rest of the group. Please only if you are leaving within the select dates (March 15-17th) and only people starting from the approach trail NOBO. A group list will be supplied via pm or e-mail.

Thank You, Guy

Dirty Harry
01-19-2008, 21:11
Well Just to let you guys know im 24, and guy is 26, so mabe people within that age group would work out the best. Its kinda a cool idea to try and meet people at the approach, as a group and see what happens. I mean if we got enough people that would be pretty wild! Anyway Im in, Ill be at the Hiker Hostel from the 14th to the 16th. Cheers, Dirty harry.

jessicacomp
01-19-2008, 21:20
I am starting on the 15th. I have some friends taking me to the trail though, so I dont really know what my plans are- I was just going to do whatever was easiest for them.

whitelightning
01-27-2008, 20:45
I plan (as of now) to start on the 15th. It would be cool to know a few hikers who are starting at the same time. I plan on doing the approach trail and am flexible to time of departure. Feel free to PM me.

Alilalien
01-28-2008, 05:30
I plan (as of now) to start on the 15th. It would be cool to know a few hikers who are starting at the same time. I plan on doing the approach trail and am flexible to time of departure. Feel free to PM me.

Nice to meet you WhiteLightning. There is plenty of room in the group. I will send a message with info regarding.

TheChamp
01-28-2008, 18:33
There is plenty of room in the group.

How nice of you...

Alilalien
01-28-2008, 19:11
TheChamp obviously has nothing constructive to say and does not have a desire to hike with us.

NakedSasquatch
01-29-2008, 12:04
I'm leaving around the 15th as well. Plus it would be swell to tell mi madre that I am meeting people down there so she can stop having a panic attack...

BigDaddy99
01-29-2008, 13:56
Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right.

TheChamp
01-29-2008, 16:47
Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right.

Alilalien, you're right, I have no desire to hike with you, but here's something constructive for you...I agree with BigDaddy on this.

This has been the standard advice on these and other forums. Some people don't listen to the people who have been there before, and still try to organize a group/partner before leaving for the trail. If you go without a group planned, like-minded people will gravitate into hiking "groups" and have a good time. What happens if you "let" someone join your "group" and they turn out to be an a**hole? Just go with the flow...or plan your group if you really want to. I don't care...

Dirty Harry
01-29-2008, 20:43
ok, then don't reply. If it dosnt workout then it dosnt work out. I hiked the trail I know how it works, and how it dosnt. I thought it was pretty cool that this thread was started, I. Actually meet up with the person that started this thread over the weekend and we where able to go through gear and talk about the logistics of this thru coming up. So for me even if this group dosnt work out, it was still helpful for me, any way see you guys on the 16th- approach trail.

CrumbSnatcher
01-29-2008, 20:47
Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right. big daddy99' is right, except if theres a group there will be more people to say goodbye as they drop off one by one...

Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 20:49
Real name is Chris But I like to go by "Guy"
NOBO
March 15-17th
Approach Trail

Looking for other hikers that are interested in group hiking. Please reply with any contact information so that you can meet the rest of the group. Please only if you are leaving within the select dates (March 15-17th) and only people starting from the approach trail NOBO. A group list will be supplied via pm or e-mail.

Thank You, Guy

all i ask is you keep the group under 10 wannabes. we don't want to impact the trail. LNT and all.

Alilalien
01-29-2008, 22:00
The idea of starting this group is to be able to "start" the hike without having to be by yourself in the beginning not to finish as one but if that was to happen then so be it. I just would like to get there already knowing someone. Dirty Harry and I have already met in person and I have learned a lot. We also seemed to get along well. Those are all thing I am trying to accomplish with this thread. I am not trying to get comments such as "keep it under 10 wannabes" and "Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter" . SO IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED LEAVE IT BE!

Kirby
01-29-2008, 22:19
Hm.

If you are going to start with a group, fantastic (I am), just don't be dependent upon your fellow hikers. Design it so that you could push forward on your own if need be.

That's my own advice, do what you please with it,
Kirby

ScottP
01-29-2008, 22:59
I met people on the trail who formed a group online and were still hiking together at Damascus. It can work.

Alilalien
01-30-2008, 00:22
Hm.

If you are going to start with a group, fantastic (I am), just don't be dependent upon your fellow hikers. Design it so that you could push forward on your own if need be.

That's my own advice, do what you please with it,
Kirby

Makes perffect sence I agree.

Glo-Worm
01-30-2008, 01:53
Considering your start date you guys will not be at a loss for company. Just a consideration, if you have too many people in your group you will be considerably slower and have problems finding camp and shelter space. Not a bad idea to meet some of your fellow hikers ahead of time. Best of luck Guy and guys!

Glo-Worm

Alilalien
01-30-2008, 05:56
Considering your start date you guys will not be at a loss for company. Just a consideration, if you have too many people in your group you will be considerably slower and have problems finding camp and shelter space. Not a bad idea to meet some of your fellow hikers ahead of time. Best of luck Guy and guys!

Glo-Worm

Thanks! Glo-Worm

neighbor dave
01-30-2008, 06:25
The idea of starting this group is to be able to "start" the hike without having to be by yourself in the beginning not to finish as one but if that was to happen then so be it. I just would like to get there already knowing someone. Dirty Harry and I have already met in person and I have learned a lot. We also seemed to get along well. Those are all thing I am trying to accomplish with this thread. I am not trying to get comments such as "keep it under 10 wannabes" and "Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter" . SO IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED LEAVE IT BE!
:-? oh boy. :-?

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 09:02
Well Just to let you guys know im 24, and guy is 26, so mabe people within that age group would work out the best. Its kinda a cool idea to try and meet people at the approach, as a group and see what happens. I mean if we got enough people that would be pretty wild! Anyway Im in, Ill be at the Hiker Hostel from the 14th to the 16th. Cheers, Dirty harry.

Pretty wild? :-?

HIKER7s
01-30-2008, 09:03
I met people on the trail who formed a group online and were still hiking together at Damascus. It can work.

In Damascus, did you still have ALL the group members that started?

warren doyle
01-30-2008, 09:09
The first preparation session for the 2010 AT Circle Expedition will be this May 13-16. We will end our practice hike in Damascus in time for Trail Days.
More info on this expedition can be found at the website below.

Happy trails!

rcli4
01-30-2008, 09:15

The 10 wannabe limit is from the ATC. The Leave No Trace folks say the same thing. Take a deep breath, hike anyway you want.

Clyde

Alilalien
01-31-2008, 03:52
The 10 wannabe limit is from the ATC. The Leave No Trace folks say the same thing. Take a deep breath, hike anyway you want.

Clyde

The word "wannabe" is what I was trying to point out but yes I know what you and the rest are saying about try and keep it small. I too would like to see the trail the same way I see it this year in years to come!

neighbor dave
01-31-2008, 19:40
:-?you'll be a wannabe until you're a bin dere, dun dat
nobody is a thru hiker at the start.
if you hike faster than 3 mph it's bad for the trail hike slow and in small spread out groups, prefferably about 1 mile apart.
large groups should refrain from takin' over the shelter.
don't do it it's crazy scary and wild out there
cell phones and dogs should stay at home
poles damage the trail don't use them.
you're not a thru-hiker if you don't hike the approach trail.:-?

Frosty
01-31-2008, 20:30
The idea of starting this group is to be able to "start" the hike without having to be by yourself in the beginning not to finish as one but if that was to happen then so be it. I just would like to get there already knowing someone. Dirty Harry and I have already met in person and I have learned a lot. We also seemed to get along well. Those are all thing I am trying to accomplish with this thread. I am not trying to get comments such as "keep it under 10 wannabes" and "Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter" . SO IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED LEAVE IT BE!Have you considered decaf?

Dirty Harry
02-04-2008, 23:29
If you hike faster than 3mph its bad for the trail? Im really starting not to dig this forum anymore. I remember when I was going through the smokies a couple years ago, and this old crumpy hiker wouldnt let me by him because he thought I was hiking to fast. Its kinda pathetic. Anyways, moderaters? mabe you should cut this thread.

ScottP
02-04-2008, 23:34
In Damascus, did you still have ALL the group members that started?

I wasn't part of that group.

There were four of them, and they were still all there in Damascus.

neighbor dave
02-05-2008, 11:54
If you hike faster than 3mph its bad for the trail? Im really starting not to dig this forum anymore. I remember when I was going through the smokies a couple years ago, and this old crumpy hiker wouldnt let me by him because he thought I was hiking to fast. Its kinda pathetic. Anyways, moderaters? mabe you should cut this thread.
:-? i was joking! :D

Dirty Harry
02-05-2008, 20:11
Sorry neighbor dave, its kinda sad I took that seriously though.

jzakhar
02-05-2008, 20:18
I am planning to get down there around the 5th or 6th but your dates are not that far off either. It is possible I will get hung up a little bit before getting there. I'll know better in a few weeks but i'll keep an eye on this thread.

neighbor dave
02-05-2008, 20:52
Sorry neighbor dave, its kinda sad I took that seriously though.
:-?aw c'mon harry. don't be so hard on yerself! it's just life bro!:D