PDA

View Full Version : Contrail vs Lunar Solo E

Painted Turtle
01-19-2008, 09:01
Has anyone seen or done a side by side comparison of these two solo tents?

Looking at the specs for each they seem about the same. One of the things that I noticed is the Contrail does not come out and say what it is made of. Where as the Lunar says 30 D for the canopy and 70D for the floor. The Lunars weight is without stakes where as the Contrail is with stakes.

Heater
01-19-2008, 09:32
Has anyone seen or done a side by side comparison of these two solo tents?

Looking at the specs for each they seem about the same. One of the things that I noticed is the Contrail does not come out and say what it is made of. Where as the Lunar says 30 D for the canopy and 70D for the floor. The Lunars weight is without stakes where as the Contrail is with stakes.

From the FAQ at tarptent.com:

Q: What are Tarptents made of?
A: Tarptents are made of the lightest and highest quality materials available.
Roofing High tenacity 1.1-ounce/yd^2 ripstop nylon, impregnated with silicone. Final fabric weight is approximately 1.4 ounces/yd^2. Netting No-see-um. Fabric weight is approximately 1 ounce/yd^2. Guylines Non-stretch, 2-mm reflective cord with a spectra core. In a Kelty branded package, it's called "Triptease Lightline™". Weight is approximately 1 ounce/50 feet. Stakes Easton aluminum. Stakes are 6 1/4" long and weigh 0.35 ounces (10 g) per stake. Poles Easton aluminum 7075-T9 .344"/8.74mm diameter tubing. Weight is approximately 0.5 ounces/foot. Flooring Sewn-in: same material as roof(but in black)
Groundsheet: Tyvek HomeWrap. Weight is approximately 1.8 ounces/yd^2.

Heater
01-19-2008, 09:40
From the FAQ at tarptent.com:

Whoops. Bad formatting. try again.

Roofing High tenacity 1.1-ounce/yd^2 ripstop nylon, impregnated with silicone. Final fabric weight is approximately 1.4 ounces/yd^2.

Netting No-see-um. Fabric weight is approximately 1 ounce/yd^2.

Guylines Non-stretch, 2-mm reflective cord with a spectra core. In a Kelty branded package, it's called "Triptease Lightline™". Weight is approximately 1 ounce/50 feet.

Stakes Easton aluminum. Stakes are 6 1/4" long and weigh 0.35 ounces (10 g) per stake.

Poles Easton aluminum 7075-T9 .344"/8.74mm diameter tubing. Weight is approximately 0.5 ounces/foot.

Flooring Sewn-in: same material as roof(but in black)

Painted Turtle
01-19-2008, 09:42
Whoops. Bad formatting. try again.

Roofing High tenacity 1.1-ounce/yd^2 ripstop nylon, impregnated with silicone. Final fabric weight is approximately 1.4 ounces/yd^2.

Netting No-see-um. Fabric weight is approximately 1 ounce/yd^2.

Guylines Non-stretch, 2-mm reflective cord with a spectra core. In a Kelty branded package, it's called "Triptease Lightline™". Weight is approximately 1 ounce/50 feet.

Stakes Easton aluminum. Stakes are 6 1/4" long and weigh 0.35 ounces (10 g) per stake.

Poles Easton aluminum 7075-T9 .344"/8.74mm diameter tubing. Weight is approximately 0.5 ounces/foot.

Flooring Sewn-in: same material as roof(but in black)

I saw that, but why does Lunar say 30D for canopy and 70D for floor? How does that compare to what Tarptent is saying???? Confused.

ronmoak
01-19-2008, 10:05
Painted Turtle,

The 30D (Denier) fabric used on the Lunar Solo is the exact same fabric used on the Contrail. It's per yard weight is 1.1 ounce un-coated and about 1.4 ounce coated. We offer two floor versions. The Ultralight floor uses the same 30D fabric as the canopy and as used in the Contrail floor. We also offer the Standard floor model which uses 70D (1.9 ounce per square yard uncoated, 2.5 ounces coated) Silicone coated fabric.

The Standard floor adds about 3 to 4 ounces but is similar in protection to your typical tent floor. It's significantly more abrasion resistant and will not allow water to come through if a puddle forms under the tent and you sit on it. As with the lighter floor it is silicone coated so it won't mold, mildew or de-laminate over time.

Ron

gearfreak
01-19-2008, 10:10
1.1 oz. / sq.yd. ripstop is approximately 1.3 oz. / sq.yd. when coated and is equivalent to 30d. Fabric Mojo (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/fabric.php). :cool:

Painted Turtle
01-19-2008, 10:19
Painted Turtle,

The 30D (Denier) fabric used on the Lunar Solo is the exact same fabric used on the Contrail. It's per yard weight is 1.1 ounce un-coated and about 1.4 ounce coated. We offer two floor versions. The Ultralight floor uses the same 30D fabric as the canopy and as used in the Contrail floor. We also offer the Standard floor model which uses 70D (1.9 ounce per square yard uncoated, 2.5 ounces coated) Silicone coated fabric.

The Standard floor adds about 3 to 4 ounces but is similar in protection to your typical tent floor. It's significantly more abrasion resistant and will not allow water to come through if a puddle forms under the tent and you sit on it. As with the lighter floor it is silicone coated so it won't mold, mildew or de-laminate over time.

Ron

Thank You for clearing up the specs on weight of the nylon used.

Footslogger
01-19-2008, 11:23
[quote=Painted Turtle;505979]Has anyone seen or done a side by side comparison of these two solo tents?

====================================

I haven't ...but I've owned the Lunar Solo-e for over 3 years now. Formerly I hiked with the Tarptent Squall (the big brother of the Contrail). They are both excellent tents. My decision to switch was based on the "side entry" design of the Lunar Solo - no more, no less. Over my many years of backpacking I have found that side entry tents are easier to get in and out of.

'Slogger

Painted Turtle
01-20-2008, 10:41
[quote=Painted Turtle;505979]Has anyone seen or done a side by side comparison of these two solo tents?

====================================

I haven't ...but I've owned the Lunar Solo-e for over 3 years now. Formerly I hiked with the Tarptent Squall (the big brother of the Contrail). They are both excellent tents. My decision to switch was based on the "side entry" design of the Lunar Solo - no more, no less. Over my many years of backpacking I have found that side entry tents are easier to enter and exit.

'Slogger

Thanks, good reply. Gives me something to think about. I have the Big Angus Sped House 1 now and have used it for years. It is a good tent but to heavy by todays standards. I am looking at getting my TTL weight down and the tent is one of the areas I am looking at. I have it down to these two tents to replace my Speed House.