PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for info!

codelzrd
12-28-2003, 18:23
Hi everyone! I'm looking for tips on how to begin planning a longish hike on the AT. Like a lot of people, the ultimate goal is to do a thru-hike, but for now I'm interested in a 2 week hike in the TN/NC area (shooting for springtime).

I'm an avid day hiker with the occasional overnight camping/hiking excursion. I have SOME equipment, but would like to get some resources for info on what I would need to add for a longer trip. Knowing that backpacks, etc. are personal preference - general ideas would be greatly appreciated! Links, anything, etc...

Nice to meet you all and look forward to hearing your input!

Joy

hungryhowie
12-29-2003, 00:12
Hi everyone! I'm looking for tips on how to begin planning a longish hike on the AT. Like a lot of people, the ultimate goal is to do a thru-hike, but for now I'm interested in a 2 week hike in the TN/NC area (shooting for springtime).

I'm an avid day hiker with the occasional overnight camping/hiking excursion. I have SOME equipment, but would like to get some resources for info on what I would need to add for a longer trip. Knowing that backpacks, etc. are personal preference - general ideas would be greatly appreciated! Links, anything, etc...

Joy

Tip #1 - Visit forums like this one frequently. Read all you can, and ask any questions you can think of.

The good news - A hike of any length that involves an overnight stay requires the same gear. What season you do it in, and the number of days (for food purposes) are really the only variations. If you've done an overnight hike with your gear before...you'll be able to thruhike the Appalachian trail with that same stuff.

Tips for getting new gear - weight should be your #1 priority. The weight of equipment adds up quickly. Trust me, carrying 20-30 pounds is much more comfortable than 40-50+ pounds. If you have any sewing skills or access to a machine, you can save yourself a ton of money and weight by making some simple items such as stuff sacs, pack covers, etc. Once you've mastered these items, you can easily conquer other projects like rain gear, tarps, sleeping bags/quilts, etc if you like.

If you have all of your gear, but want to go lighter, the easiest way to cut that weight is by 1 - replacing or reducing the big four (pack, shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad), & 2 - cutting down on superfluous and infrequently needed items (a good rule of thumb: if you don't use it at least once every day, and it doesn't have at least two uses, don't carry it with you. A major exception to this, of course, is emergency gear like rain protection and 1st aid).

You can easily reduce a pack weighing 40 pounds to a pack weighing 20-25 pounds (including food and water for one week!) without losing any major comforts. To do this, seek to limit all of your combined gear to about 15 pounds (this is very doable). Food for 5-7 days and about 2-3 liters of water will weigh about 10 pounds. How can you do this? Here's an example:

Pack - Mountainsmith Ghost (able to handle 30 pound loads) 2lbs 1oz, $150
Shelter - Tarptent Virga (this is a one-person shelter that has many options) - 23oz (this is with a sewn-in-floor and vestibule, $165
Sleeping bag - Marmot Hydrogen - 30*F, 1lb 5oz, $150
Sleeping pad - Thermarest Prolite 3 3/4, 13oz, $60

All of this would be suitable for a hike of any length on the AT and weighs 5lbs 10oz total. Of course, you'll need to add items like clothing (rain gear tops and bottoms, insulated tops and bottoms, extra socks, etc), first aid, repair, and toiletries, and your kitchen (spoon, pot, stove, fuel, etc). But it should be easy enough to keep these items within your 10-15 pound limit. If you want more info on this, I'll gladly give you some.

-Howie

Peaks
12-29-2003, 09:14
When you think about it, equipment wise, there isn't a big difference between an overnight hike and a thru-hike. You still need much the same equipment if you are in the woods for 24 hours as for 6 months.

Perhaps one difference is that with a short hike, you are tempted to bring along more gear than for a longer hike. On a longer hike, the objective is to get from one end to the other, so you spend more time hiking and less time sitting at a campsite. Easiest way to reduce pack weight is not to bring extra gear along.

On this forum, you should get all the answers you need. Read past posts for details. However, when going out for more than an overnight, ask yourself the question: Does the weight of each item justify the safety and comfort it provides?

codelzrd
12-29-2003, 20:43
Perhaps I had posted my question a little hastily... hehe I have been browsing the boards here and have found SO much information - it's nearly overwhelming!

I truly appreciate the time you've taken to provide some insight and am really looking forward to continuing my research! I read where someone said that planning was half the fun - I'm inclined to give a resounding WOOHOO to that!! I'm having a blast!

I had been anticipating that weight would be an issue & the ideas provided have been more than helpful... thank you again!

Joy

TJ aka Teej
12-29-2003, 21:03
Hi everyone!
Welcome, Joy! :welcome
(always wanted to use that smiley)
May I suggest you consider attending one of the upcoming January Rucks?

screwysquirrel
01-04-2004, 01:28
Start at the Kincora Hostel and go up to Damascus and the Mount Rodgers Park. You'll get some good advice from Bob, maybe Seiko and when you get to Damascus stay at the Place (If it's open) and look up Lone Wolf, I'm sure he'll help you out with some sage advice. I know he did give me some back in 2000 by Gooch Gap.

Lilred
01-04-2004, 01:33

Joy

:welcome Hi Codelzrd. Just wanted to welcome you to Whiteblaze. I'm in Nashville too. Maybe we can hook up for some dayhikes this spring. I'm planning a short section hike the end of May, beginning of June.