PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating solo CDT hike this year.

SlowLightTrek
01-19-2008, 14:48
I've been thinking about hiking the CDT. I love the idea of just going over this mountain, who cares if its 20 miles off course. It looks like an awesome place, I wanna see it. Solo from what I have read is discouraged on the CDT. Any info on what I might expect going solo will be greatly appreciated.

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 14:58
Solo hiking is discouraged on the CDT for the same reason it is discouraged anywhere-- if you get sick or injured, nobody will be able to help you. However, the CDT is of course more dangerous than a busy footpath where another hiker is bound to come along within a few hours. On parts of the CDT, you might never be found if you are injured.

But someone who is a solo hiker at heart will hike solo despite that. You shouldn't "expect" anything different going solo but state of mind, but you should bear in mind the risks, and decide whether to carry an emegency locator device or not, etc. Those are not decisions to be made lightly. You should become very well educated on best practices for fording streams, climbing and descending hazardous slopes, minimizing lightning and hypothermia risks, dealing with megafauna, etc., since the best way to avoid the risk of not being found when injured is not to get injured in the first place.

Some AT hikers, despite their mileage, are not "woodsmen". It might pay to bone up on woodcraft before setting out on the CDT.

CrumbSnatcher
01-19-2008, 15:10
the reason solo hiking is discouraged is so the grizzly bears have a choice of snacks

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 15:13
Crumbsnatcher states directly what I hinted at when I said you should learn the art of "dealing with megafauna."

SlowLightTrek
01-19-2008, 15:43
I've hiked in grizzly country solo but not for extended periods. Had a tarp-tent close enounter of the grizz kind once. Not particualrly looking for a repeat. How bad can the river crossings get? Will I be swimming across floating my pack?

ARambler
01-19-2008, 18:25
I was in NM in June, somewhat after the pack, and the only thru hiker I saw was solo. Not much data, but I can think of a few more examples. It is more difficult to hook up with other hikers on the cdt, so it is better to find a partner, or get comfortable with a solo hike, before you start.

I think a second pair of eyes helps the navigation. Even if one person does most of the map reading, explaining the intended route keeps him "more honest".

I'm planning a solo hike, and if I do a flip flop it will be impossible to hook up with other thru hikers.

Rambler

ScottP
01-21-2008, 00:03
I'm planning a solo NOBO CDT hike. I just can't imagine meeting someone random and choosing to thru with them, and I can't sucker any of my friends into coming.

fiddlehead
01-21-2008, 01:41
I did the Montana portion solo in '98.
It was an awesome experience. It is another part of hiking that starts with a little fear and mis-conceptions.
I think most recommend against it for that reason.

That being said, i will assume you are pretty experienced in things like: map reading, gps, fording, bushwhacking, finding water in the desert, self arrest with ice ax when in snow country, building fires in a rain or snow storm, rock climbing, making safe decisions, etc. Because: YOU WILL GET LOST (or at least unsure of where you are) but then you'll figure out: SO WHAT? and sooner or later, you'll discover that trails are overrated and it's a real joy to be out there without one.

My main concern usually is how much food i have left in my pack and when i'm down to a day or two, i may start worrying.

Like i said, it's a bit scary before you try it because you may think you're going to be lonely. after a while you find that that lonliness has turned into some very quality "alone time"

I have some great friends who prefer to go out there alone and really love it. (one in particular hiked about 1500 miles solo this past year and is in NZ right now hiking alone.

So, just try it. If you find it's not for you, there probably will be other's out there to hook up with.
In 98, we started as a group of 7 and only 2 of us completed the trail that year and actually the other was another guy we met around Pie town.

Most importantly, have fun and if it gets to be scary or dangerous, go back and find people again. They're out there.

Mags
01-21-2008, 11:59
I hiked the CDT mainly solo.

No one can put up with me for 4 mos at a time...

Colter
01-21-2008, 14:41
I'm planning a SOLO NOBO ALSO ;)

I'll join other hikers for a while if it works out, but in general I prefer hiking solo. Reading the journals there are a lot of people who hike long stretches of the CDT solo.

I agree that wilderness solos require sufficient experience combined with good judgment to do relatively safely.

taildragger
01-21-2008, 17:20
But someone who is a solo hiker at heart will hike solo despite that. You shouldn't "expect" anything different going solo but state of mind, but you should bear in mind the risks, and decide whether to carry an emegency locator device or not, etc. Those are not decisions to be made lightly. You should become very well educated on best practices for fording streams, climbing and descending hazardous slopes, minimizing lightning and hypothermia risks, dealing with megafauna, etc., since the best way to avoid the risk of not being found when injured is not to get injured in the first place.

Honestly, I think most people that are willing to go solo are usually more cautious when they are by themselves. I know that I am very cautious (comparatively) when solo