PDA

View Full Version : hammock weight restiction

wanashunkaha
01-19-2008, 15:36
Hi Folks,
New kid here. LOVE the idea of hammock camping. I'm wondering about the weight capacity of the majority of hammocks. Right now, I weigh in at 250 +/-. Does anyone know if that exceeds the capacity of these things? Does the capacity vary greatly from one to the next? Do the makers list the capacitiy as a matter of routine? Do any of the manufacturers make a model for a heavyweight like myself? Thanks in advance.

joec
01-19-2008, 16:08
the Hennessey Explorer Delux is rated up to 300 lbs and is 9' long. That is what I use and I am 6'1" and 230 lbs.

take-a-knee
01-19-2008, 16:59
the Hennessey Explorer Delux is rated up to 300 lbs and is 9' long. That is what I use and I am 6'1" and 230 lbs.

That is a nice hammock, I have the regular Explorer.

Just Jeff
01-19-2008, 19:11
Most manufacturers of quality camping hammocks list a weight capacity. IMO, these ratings are very conservative b/c of liability issues...they'll probably hold a lot more than the listed capacity. E.g., my HH BULA is rated at 200 lbs but I've had ~250 in there (me, the kids and some gear) and didn't even hear a creak.

But yeah - most of the good ones are rated. Just look on the website for that particular model and you'll find it.

weedeater64
02-02-2008, 06:17
my eno double is rated for 400 lbs.

BigCat
02-02-2008, 14:02
the claytor jungle hammock is rated up to 350 lbs.

having said that, I had one split on me after two weeks of continuous use (i weighed approx 300 lbs).

having said that, i liked it enough that ordered another one that has been fine since.

starvingmusician
02-02-2008, 15:14
I have a HH Explorer Deluxe. A couple of years ago, daughter and I were caught in a terrific overnight thunderstorm -- sideways rain, thunder, lightning. Libby could not be consoled. We both got into my hammock (of course she took her half out of the middle), must have been 375 pounds in the hammock. No problems. Hammock is still in use.

Judy

wanashunkaha
02-03-2008, 10:17
I have a HH Explorer Deluxe. A couple of years ago, daughter and I were caught in a terrific overnight thunderstorm -- sideways rain, thunder, lightning. Libby could not be consoled. We both got into my hammock (of course she took her half out of the middle), must have been 375 pounds in the hammock. No problems. Hammock is still in use.

Judy

Thanks,
I ordered the explorer deluxe last week. It should be here anyday now. Can't wait to try it out!

Nearly Normal
02-03-2008, 17:39
What's the weight of the deluxe with all the whistles and bells?
More clearly with winter add-ons too.

wanashunkaha
02-07-2008, 22:30
I was going to post a weight (it seems actual weights always vary from manufacturer's listed weights) for the ED with the larger (hex) fly (they'll swap it for the regular fly at no extra charge), however my hammock seems to have arrived with NO fly. :mad: So I'm not sure if the larger fly ships seperately. In the meantime, you can find the info here http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#Anchor-ACCESSORIES-49575

spittinpigeon
02-08-2008, 04:28
I was in my HH, which I believe had a 200lb rating. At the time, I alone met that nevermind my gear. At some points I estimated having 220lbs in there, no problems.

gold bond
02-21-2008, 10:30
Geez am I glad to hear all this!! I had given up on the hammock idea years ago due to being 215-220 depending on the time of year. All you guys have been giving some great advice...thanks to all of you and I am for sure going to give it a try! No balls no glory is what I always say!!!!

Tinker
02-21-2008, 10:36
I had two Travel Hammock ultralight bug netting hammocks (bought at Sportsman's Guide) tear on me, each the first day I used them. Thankfully this happened at home. I contacted Travel Hammock and they offered to replace my hammock with a heavier duty (but heavier) one. The hammock was rated to 250 lbs. I weigh 215. Not acceptable, in my opinion.
If the heavier duty one holds up for me, I will give Travel Hammock the thumbs up. For now I'll have to hold off. Their ratings are inaccurate, even after they changed their online info.