PDA

View Full Version : I encourage you to donate

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 16:19
I just donated to Whiteblaze. It occurred to me when the security breach happened (was that Carmina Burana the hackers were playing?) that I do like this website a lot, and that running a site like this is not free. Software, data storage, etc., are not free.

I hope everyone will chip in.

Sanctimonious encouragement is now over.

Now I shall return to being my usual snippety self.

Bob S
01-19-2008, 17:08
Why did they target this site?

dessertrat
01-19-2008, 17:17
I have no idea Bob. Maybe it was somebody with a grudge. Maybe it was random, and they figured out that this site had a security weakness. I don't know enough about computers to have any idea how that sort of hacking is done.

Appalachian Tater
01-19-2008, 17:35
My understanding was that this site was targeted because it uses V-Bulletin software. That seemed to be the commonality with the other sites that Google picked up with similar messages from the hackers.

mobileman
01-19-2008, 22:36
Dessertrat: Glad you donated. I just donated on the 12th. It would be great if a few more folks could spring for $10 or more bucks. What a bargain this web site is for a years worth of information and entertainment. To donate click USER CP, when that page comes up, go down the left hand side of the page to PAID SUBSCRIPTION and click on it, The rest is fill in the blanks.

Tin Man
01-19-2008, 22:54
Donate a little, it helps a lot...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=atdatabase

Note: I am not affiliated with whiteblaze.net, just appreciate the service and the tireless efforts of the dedicated team...THANK YOU!

Lugnut
01-19-2008, 23:22
This site provides information, entertainment, networking opportunities, perhaps friendship, but most importantly it keeps up in touch with the trail we all care for. I urge all who can to donate by either becoming a donating member or just an anonomous donor. Together we can make this the greatest site on earth!

My name is Lugnut and I approved this message. :p

wilconow
01-20-2008, 00:39
I'm sure the reason the site was hacked has nothing to do with the content or anyone particular. The hackers are running automated programs to get any sites they can.