PDA

View Full Version : Balaclava ideas

ChinMusic
01-19-2008, 19:53
I have a Loki Polartec balaclava that weighs around 2 oz. I also have a Buff (original model) which weighs about an ounce.

I carry the Buff year round and also carry the Loki if camp temps are predicted under 40°. I think the combination would suit me well on the AT.

But, we had single-digit temps today in Illinois with wind-chills below zero. I went on a dayhike and was comfortable except for areas to the sides and above my eyes. When I was in the open and walking into the wind it got kinda painful no matter how I tried to adjust things.

Any ideas or comments on how to improve comfort under these conditions?

Montego
01-19-2008, 20:07
I have a Loki Polartec balaclava that weighs around 2 oz. I also have a Buff (original model) which weighs about an ounce.

I carry the Buff year round and also carry the Loki if camp temps are predicted under 40°. I think the combination would suit me well on the AT.

But, we had single-digit temps today in Illinois with wind-chills below zero. I went on a dayhike and was comfortable except for areas to the sides and above my eyes. When I was in the open and walking into the wind it got kinda painful no matter how I tried to adjust things.

Any ideas or comments on how to improve comfort under these conditions?

Ski goggles?

woodsy
01-19-2008, 20:18
I'll second the goggles, when it's real cold, pull the balaclava up over your nose, add goggles for full coverage.

ChinMusic
01-19-2008, 20:25
I thought about those. I have never owned ski goggles. Any favorite brands/models?

woodsy
01-19-2008, 20:43
http://www.skis.com/category/Ski_Goggles

If you have a ski shop in the area, try some on. If not, they should ventilate well to expel moisture when nose is covered, this is when they will likely want to fog up. You should not need to spend more than $30.00 or so.
Scott, Smith, Oakley, Bolle` are all good.

mudhead
01-19-2008, 20:53
Eyeglass wearer?

ChinMusic
01-20-2008, 01:29
Thanks all - No, I am not an eyeglass wearer anymore (had Lasik in 2005), but I do like to wear sunglasses often (very light sensitive). I do not ski so I didn't really think of ski glasses as something to use while hiking. I can now see that under the conditions I was in today they would come in handy.

Jim Adams
01-20-2008, 01:40
sit on the leeward side of a big rock or tree, sip hot cocoa and enjoy being outside...hike tomorrow!

geek

shelterbuilder
01-20-2008, 10:39
I'd second the ski goggles idea. I have a pair that I wear when I'm mushing the dogs (and that's a constant 8-12 MPH breeze when you're moving, and more if it's windy that day). Then just relax and enjoy the day!

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2008, 11:02
Thanks all - No, I am not an eyeglass wearer anymore (had Lasik in 2005), but I do like to wear sunglasses often (very light sensitive). I do not ski so I didn't really think of ski glasses as something to use while hiking. I can now see that under the conditions I was in today they would come in handy.

You generally won't need sunglasses under ski goggles as most are tinted(amber is the most common) and provide uv protection, but if you do you'll need a pair with more room and ventilation for the glasses.

Here's an FAQ http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/buying-guide/buyinggoggles.asp

JAK
01-20-2008, 13:14
I have a balaclava with an extra long neck that can be folded back up to cover the mouth and nose. Trouble is there is still space between my nose and cheeks so my glasses fog up. Solution is a breathing hole. Another problem is you end up with just a single layer on the top of your head, unless you have another hat. Most balaclava's don't seem to be made from the best fleece. Wool is a a good choice also. I like to wear wool under polyester if I am wearing both.

A good solution might be as follows:
1. Wool watch cap.
2. Fleece balaclava with a long enough neck to fold back up and cover mouth and nose.
3. Brimmed hat for wearing in rain or sun.

highway
01-20-2008, 13:28
Balaclava, nope; Buff & silk scarf instead

JAK
01-20-2008, 13:45
Balaclava, nope; Buff & silk scarf insteadI think for a 3 season solution you are right. A balaclava is really part of a winter system.

LIhikers
01-22-2008, 20:51
OK, I've got to ask, what's a Buff?

ChinMusic
01-22-2008, 20:59
http://www.buffwear.com/

highway
01-22-2008, 21:02

Look at the videos here to see all the ways to wear them:

http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php

To be so little, so small, so light, they are so warm...and so cool:)

A truly multi-use item!

NorthCountryWoods
01-23-2008, 08:32
Look at the videos here to see all the ways to wear them:

http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php

To be so little, so small, so light, they are so warm...and so cool:)

A truly multi-use item!

Wife uses one in the summer, but it's no where near warm enough for winter.

For the worst below 0 temps, I use a Northface Balaclava under a wool hat, turtle fur neck sock and ski goggles. To be honest, unless it's really windy, it's usually too warm for my head while moving, but it's a must have layer in camp when it's cold and your sitting still.

highway
01-23-2008, 09:06
Wife uses one in the summer, but it's no where near warm enough for winter.
You are right, if 'winter' is in the northern latitudes where below 0 degrees F is common, but in more southerly latitudes, like the AT in April, 'winter' is experienced favorably with lighter buff. I have used it in the 20's F in early A.M. but it quickly warms from there as the sun rises so heavier face & head gear becomes useless weight

JAK
01-23-2008, 09:47
How inaccurate yet useful are sayings like "60% of your heat loss is through your head"?
What is the best strategy for balancing body clothing weight vs head clothing weight?

Wanderingson
01-23-2008, 09:55

Here is a link to information about buffs.

Boulder (http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/dec/09/naked-hiker-rescued-on-mountain-trail/)

I will now use it in a sentence:

I seemed to have dropped my buff and can't find it anywhere.

NorthCountryWoods
01-23-2008, 11:33
You are right, if 'winter' is in the northern latitudes where below 0 degrees F is common, but in more southerly latitudes, like the AT in April, 'winter' is experienced favorably with lighter buff. I have used it in the 20's F in early A.M. but it quickly warms from there as the sun rises so heavier face & head gear becomes useless weight

:confused: Easy there Florida, don't get defensive.

The OP was talking single digits and below zero wind chills. That's why I (and others) said the buff wouldn't cut it.

And BTW, I've experienced below zero temps in SC mountains in winter.