PDA

View Full Version : When to hike Sams Gap to US19E?

Jeanette
01-19-2008, 20:32
I'd like to do this ~71-mile section hike in the spring, hiking southbound... but I'm worried about running into lots of crowded shelters due to thru-hiker season. When would be the best time to avoid the bulk of the rush?

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 20:43
As late as you can go. I've been through this area twice. Fist time started 17 March, second time 08 April. The shelters in April wasn't as crowded, but still crowded until I got to Virginia. In March, forget it, they'll be crowded. I would ASSUME the best time to miss the crowds would be in late fall, through the winter. Maybe the summer or even late spring???

Alligator
01-19-2008, 20:48
I went through that section in Oct. and saw very few people.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2008, 21:06
Mid April to Trail Days is usually when the main pack heads through the area. If you hit it about early March, you should see mostly earlybirds. But I would try to hit the Roan Highlands during the week. A lot of school groups and weekend hikers will hit the Overmountain barn Fridays, Saturdays, and Spring Break Season, pushing out the hikers.

The only other shelter you really have to worry about is Bald Mountain, camping is a bit restrictive at the top.

But as long as you hit the section right before the main pack head out from Springer.

Jeanette
01-19-2008, 22:55
Thanks for the info! I was originally planning on the week of May 19 but then had second thoughts when I considered that it might be a very busy time on the trail... however, I see that Trail Days starts May 16, so maybe by that time most of the thru hikers will have passed through this section. Maybe I'll stick to my original plan after all.

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2008, 23:00
Shouldn't be too bad that time!

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2008, 23:42
Thanks for the info! I was originally planning on the week of May 19 but then had second thoughts when I considered that it might be a very busy time on the trail... however, I see that Trail Days starts May 16, so maybe by that time most of the thru hikers will have passed through this section. Maybe I'll stick to my original plan after all.
You will probably have a few straglers. Most want to get as close to Damascus as possible for Trail Days. But most hikers will be heading north out of Damascus afterwards.

The only crowds you will have to look out for are the extended campers at Trail Days. Then the Kincora Hardcore hikers. Dennis Cove to the Watauga Lake will be packed. There will be groups that will go car camping afterwards; like Unaka and Roan are usually the popular spots.

wilconow
01-20-2008, 00:37
I've done parts of that section two times, around Memorial Day and July 4th. There wasn't big crowds either time. Plenty of section hikers and day hikers on the weekenders.