PDA

View Full Version : Giving something back to the trail

Shadowman
12-28-2003, 21:18
If you ever thought about who does the trail maintenance, the water bars, the check dams, the rerouting, etc. here are some volunteer "vacations" that may be of interest.

Appalachian Trail Conference.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/volunteer/crews.html

Sierra Club
In Mt. Katahdin's Shadow, Baxter State Park, Maine
September 12-18, 2004
http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/brochure/04337A.asp

Or search for trips in other areas/states/countries at:
http://whistler.sierraclub.org/TripSearch/TripSearch.jsp

American Hiking Society

http://www.americanhiking.org/events/vv/index.html

The Appalachian Mountain Club
http://www.outdoors.org/trails/volunteer/index.shtml

Peaks
12-29-2003, 09:22
Good post!

I might add 2 others:

The Hard Core trail crew after Trail Days, lead by Bob Peoples of Kincora.

The ALDHA Work Party after the Gathering.

If you join either of these crews, you will be working with your fellow hikers. Definately worthwhile.

And of course, in addition to the AMC, I'm sure that the other 20 trail maintaining clubs also have work parties.

Former Easy
12-29-2003, 09:43
Not to be the bearer of bad news but the Sierra Club is another extremist group to watch out for. If they had it their way all public land would be protected from public general use. This is not good, there needs to be public land for all user groups, i.e. horse enthusiasts, off roaders, snowmobliers, atv enthusiasts etc.... Their stand against the off road community on the Desert Tortoise issue out west was my deciding factor not to support this organization. Many off road motorcyclists have been injured and killed from traps set on trails by members of the Sierra Club, just another example of extreme members in extreme organizations. Sending your money or getting involved in the ATC or smaller organizations that are not as extreme, IMO is the way to go.

Before anyone gets on me, first off I agree the national scenic trails should be just hiking trails, but I also feel there has to be a happy medium for other trail issues. You just can't push every user group off public land besides hikers.

Heres a good organization that deals with these issues -> Blue Ribbon Coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org/)

DebW
12-29-2003, 17:31
And of course, in addition to the AMC, I'm sure that the other 20 trail maintaining clubs also have work parties.

The schedule of Berkshire work parties for this year will be finalized in early March. I'll post the schedule (or a link to it) when it's available, and I hope that some of you New England hikers will be able to help out.

TJ aka Teej
12-29-2003, 20:30
Sierra Club
In Mt. Katahdin's Shadow, Baxter State Park, Maine
September 12-18, 2004
http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/brochure/04337A.asp *
If you'd like to volunteer to do trail work in Maine, and can't afford the $450 fee the Sierra Club asks for, visit http://www.matc.org/metrlcrw.htm for info on the Maine Appalachian Trail Club's Trail Crew.

TJ aka Teej
12-29-2003, 20:38
Many off road motorcyclists have been injured and killed from traps set on trails by members of the Sierra Club
Total nonsense.

weary
12-29-2003, 21:40
If you'd like to volunteer to do trail work in Maine, and can't afford the $450 fee the Sierra Club asks for, visit http://www.matc.org/metrlcrw.htm for info on the Maine Appalachian Trail Club's Trail Crew.

The AT in Maine is maintained by assigned maintainers. Each maintainer has a section ranging from about 2 miles to 4 miles and sometimes more. The assignments are made by five Overseers. Vacancies are advertised in the MAINEtainer, the MATC newsletter. Selection by the Overseers is based on whoever the Overseer thinks is best qualified.

But paying the Sierra Club $450 in no way improves your chances of being selected. I don't recall that the Sierra Club is even assigned a section in Maine, but they may have a short section. I haven't memorized the list of 100 or so assigned maintainers.

Maine also has a Maine Trail Crew, as TJ notes. This crew does special projects like stone steps, problem waterbars, sometimes bog bridges. Volunteers come from across the country for periods of one or two weeks, and are trained and supervised by paid trail crew leaders.

Please don't read this "correction" as meaning that I don't respect the Sierra Club for the things they have done in support of the enviroment both in Maine and nationally.

The Sierra Club has done excellent work in drawing attention to the 100-mile-wilderness and the fragility of its protections. The club has worked closely with Gov. Baldacci, whose reelection the club supported, and has worked with and supported the AMC acquisition of 37,000 acres by AMC.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
12-30-2003, 00:15
The club has worked closely with Gov. Baldacci, whose reelection the club supported
http://www.mainepbs.org/election2002/issues.html
"Despite Fundamental Differences, Sierra Club Endorses Baldacci. 8/26/02 The Maine Chapter of the Sierra Club today endorsed Democrat John Baldacci in the four-way race for governor. A recent statewide poll showed that voter's biggest concerns this election season are health care and the economy, with environmental issues father down the list."

weary
12-30-2003, 11:33
http://www.mainepbs.org/election2002/issues.html
"Despite Fundamental Differences, Sierra Club Endorses Baldacci. 8/26/02 The Maine Chapter of the Sierra Club today endorsed Democrat John Baldacci in the four-way race for governor. A recent statewide poll showed that voter's biggest concerns this election season are health care and the economy, with environmental issues farther down the list."

The Sierra Club, in Maine at least, learned that fundamental lesson of political influence. Nothing convinces a politician to listen to one's views like supporting that politician's election.

The endorsement surprised, shocked and dismayed many -- especially the Green Candidate Jonathan Carter. But Carter was mired near the bottom of the polls and Baldacci was the best of the electables.

It was a masterful stroke. For the first time the Sierra Club is a potent lobbying force in Maine.

Weary, who once served 12 years as a "green" municipal official, until defeated for reelection by a homeless person.

Shadowman
12-30-2003, 17:48
Weary, I believe you are right; as far as I know the Sierra Club does not maintain trail sections but rather works through organizations and agencies that already overseer lands and projects. In total over the years I have probably spent several months working on the Continental Divide Trail but have no direct affiliation with it. The most common Agencies worked for are with the Forest Service, National Park Service, BLM, etc. Out west horse groups, llamas packers, etc. sometimes donate the pack service to take in any equipment, supplies, etc. You are right on the fee. People are generally selected on first come basis and depending on the trip physical condition, experience, etc. Only about 90 of their 350 trips or so are service and most of these west of the Mississippi. I have not been involved as a volunteer leader, etc. for some years. One of the sore spots was always the price. Even back then nearly $100 was just for liability and the rest for food and administrative costs, first aid training, ads run in the Sierra Magazine, etc.. American Hiking Society trips are much cheaper as they have no trained leaders or cooks and the agency usually coordinates keeping track of many administrative things. However, all of these are still cheap compared to Audubon camps/trips and many others.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition is a legal and lobbyist front group for the motorized off-road industry.

Former Easy
12-31-2003, 08:36
Weary, I believe you are right; as far as I know the Sierra Club does not maintain trail sections but rather works through organizations and agencies that already overseer lands and projects. In total over the years I have probably spent several months working on the Continental Divide Trail but have no direct affiliation with it. The most common Agencies worked for are with the Forest Service, National Park Service, BLM, etc. Out west horse groups, llamas packers, etc. sometimes donate the pack service to take in any equipment, supplies, etc. You are right on the fee. People are generally selected on first come basis and depending on the trip physical condition, experience, etc. Only about 90 of their 350 trips or so are service and most of these west of the Mississippi. I have not been involved as a volunteer leader, etc. for some years. One of the sore spots was always the price. Even back then nearly $100 was just for liability and the rest for food and administrative costs, first aid training, ads run in the Sierra Magazine, etc.. American Hiking Society trips are much cheaper as they have no trained leaders or cooks and the agency usually coordinates keeping track of many administrative things. However, all of these are still cheap compared to Audubon camps/trips and many others.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition is a legal and lobbyist front group for the motorized off-road industry.

As far as the Blue Ribbon Coalition goes ........ there goal is not to open up hiking areas to off-road vehicles on hiking trails such as the AT etc...... Their idea is to keep off road areas open that are already established. As far as I know, awhile back the Blue Ribbon Coalition has tried to work with the Sierra Club on these issues along with the BLM. One reason that I don't support the Sierra Club, but do support the ATC and a few other outdoor organizations is the fact that I have been involved in off-road racing (motocross, hare scrambles, enduros) for over 25 years along with interests in snowmobiling. So for me to support an organization that has a negative affect on some of my other interests besides hiking is not beneficial. I am not an anti-environmentalist, I am just someone that believes in sensible solutions not extreme.

TJ ........ Yes members of the Sierra Club, Earth, Greenpeace etc .... have been known to set booby traps in the desert for off-roaders, also booby traps are set every year during the Baja race. I highly doubt the Sierra Club or the other enviromental organizations recommend this, but this just shows how extreme some members are. I have never heard of an OHV user, booby trapping hiking trails etc.....

Would I support the Sierra Club had I not had these others interests? Probably not since some of their stances are too extreme. Has the the Seirra Club done any good or any thing I like? Yes it defiantly has on some issues, but because of the issues I don't support, I can not financially support this organization in good faith.

oyvay
12-31-2003, 14:50
If you don't want to join a specific club, group, whatever, you can do what I call "stealth trail work." Just pick any trail for a day or overnight hike and pack a folding saw(Sierra saws work best), when you come to small blowdown blocking the trail, brush, etc, you can clear it. After all you have to get by it too and it helps whatever organization maintains that particular trail and you feel good about helping, credit or no.

screwysquirrel
01-02-2004, 01:59
To the Sierra Club members : that club is really a terrorist accomplicance of the left leaning society of this country. They along with the nail-drivers of the northwest, PETA and the Earthfirst organization deserve to be placed on the State Dept. list of Terrorists.

Valmet
01-02-2004, 09:12
One of the simplest ways to give something back to the trail is to pick up trash as you hike. I do this every time I'm out. I may not be a member of a organization but it does make a difference.

Rain Man
01-02-2004, 12:42
One of the simplest ways to give something back to the trail is to pick up trash as you hike. I do this every time I'm out. I may not be a member of a organization but it does make a difference.

Valmet, I'm with you. I can't think of any excuse for a hiker to walk past litter, except in two cases I ran into at Bly Gap, NC. There I found large metal containers and lots of cans burned and already grown over with briars. Another was a pair of soiled underwear that had been thrown down a mountainside. That's where I drew the line on that hike.

But otherwise, I was picking up everthing I saw, even off the trail (if it was within sight).

Rain Man

Peaks
01-02-2004, 16:49

Picking up trash as you go should happen without saying.

MOWGLI
01-03-2004, 11:39
If you ever thought about who does the trail maintenance, the water bars, the check dams, the rerouting, etc. here are some volunteer "vacations" that may be of interest.

American Hiking Society

http://www.americanhiking.org/events/vv/index.html

There are a couple of Volunteer Vacations that might be of particular interest to some on this site;

Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park - June 18-26
Renovation of Tricorner Knob Shelter on the AT. Requires a 9 mile backpack and camping above 6000' for a week. The roof of the shelter will be replaced along with other general improvements to the shelter. In addition, trail work will also be done. Host club is Smoky Mountains Hiking Club. Limited to 6 volunteers, so sign up today!

Green Mounatin Club - Vermont - Sept 8-21
Trip includes backpacking into primitive camp for a week of trail building. Vermont in September? Does it get much better?

Cumberland Trail Conference - Trail Training Project - May 16-29
Help build the beautiful Cumberland Trail on the Cumberland Plateau in Eastern Tennessee. This 280-mile trail will eventually make up part of the Western Appalachian Alternative (WAA) which will be a long distance hiking trail running parallel to the AT. The scenery & geology along the Cumberland trail is stunning, and there is absolutely nothing like it along the entire length of the AT. The first week of this trip will involve learning trail building skills from Ed Benson from Outdoor Colorado. Lodging is in Camp Dogwood, which has a sweet swimming hole just a short walk behind the camp.

Zeus
01-13-2004, 01:44
Former Easy says, "the Sierra Club is another extremist group".

I give a backpacking class sponsored by the Sierra Club every year - free and open to the public. I guess I will have to give up this "extremist" activity.

This sort of BS that Former Easy puts forth has been spouted by ultra-far right wing radio for years and they keep repeating it even like most of their rhetoric, it is false.

The Sierra Club actively urges people to explore wild places in the philosophy that if people experience it they will be more likely to help defend it. So the tripe about the Sierra Club trying to keep people out of wild areas is also false.

Also the ATV groups, "mud runners" etc. are not satisfied with what they have. They are agressively pushing to expand their access and the resulting damage at all levels, local, state and federal. This increases fire danger, erosion, noise, wildlife disturbance, and of course even the feeling of solitude or wilderness is heavily impacted. There is no consideration for their impact on others in their arguments. They don't care.

Thanks to all who work on the trails and promote it. I for one appreciate it and support it.

Former Easy
01-13-2004, 02:23
Former Easy says, "the Sierra Club is another extremist group".

I give a backpacking class sponsored by the Sierra Club every year - free and open to the public. I guess I will have to give up this "extremist" activity.

This sort of BS that Former Easy puts forth has been spouted by ultra-far right wing radio for years and they keep repeating it even like most of their rhetoric, it is false.

The Sierra Club actively urges people to explore wild places in the philosophy that if people experience it they will be more likely to help defend it. So the tripe about the Sierra Club trying to keep people out of wild areas is also false.

Also the ATV groups, "mud runners" etc. are not satisfied with what they have. They are agressively pushing to expand their access and the resulting damage at all levels, local, state and federal. This increases fire danger, erosion, noise, wildlife disturbance, and of course even the feeling of solitude or wilderness is heavily impacted. There is no consideration for their impact on others in their arguments. They don't care.

Thanks to all who work on the trails and promote it. I for one appreciate it and support it.

So to your accord and disdain is the fact that I support sensible solutions, this is where median ground needs to come in but you don't see it, and the Sierra way is the only way of light for you.

Yes atv users try to access hiking areas , but we discourage any irresponsiblity and educate to not. Same as hiking and the leave no trace practice. What your not getting is the concept that I appreciate both activities. The Sierra Club does not condone my off-roading activity but would use a off-road vehicle for support of many things involved in their campaign.

The fact is a full circle would happen if the The Sierra Club had its way, for one people would be forced to hunt for food again, PETA would be upset and I hope I'm garter snake fertilizer by then.

Hey everyone get your old your sleds out, let them rust up in the hills and The Sierra Club members can make money on organized groups to remove them.

The Old Fhart
01-13-2004, 07:27
First of all let me state that I have never owned an ATV but have hiked for over 45 years which includes the LT, JMT, and AT twice. The statement by Zeus from my experience is not correct or informed:
"Also the ATV groups, "mud runners" etc. are not satisfied with what they have. They are agressively pushing to expand their access and the resulting damage at all levels, local, state and federal. This increases fire danger, erosion, noise, wildlife disturbance, and of course even the feeling of solitude or wilderness is heavily impacted. There is no consideration for their impact on others in their arguments. They don't care."
In New Hampshire we have over 350 miles of maintained snowmobile trails that crisscross the state and hiking trails in some spots. The clubs who help maintain these trails do a good job for the most part policing their trails and trying to keep rogue snowmobilers from doing anything illegal that would cause a negative impact on trails or private land. However these groups can no more be responsible for individuals than we, as hikers, can be responsible for the "hikers" who have burned shelters (Key's Gap) or leave tons of garbage (leaving DWG, north).
Do they lobby for more trails, yes, the same as we do for hiking trails and I can understand that even though I may not want to see snowmobile trails in some areas and may voice my opinion against that. Another post mentioned the packers out west helping work groups get supplies to their trail crews in the wilds. This is a good example of what can be accomplished when diverse outdoor groups actually work together and realize that they have somewhat common goals but widely different views on what being outdoors means. The trails in the high Sierra are there partly because of the support of the packers and I don't mind meeting packers on the trail if it means a 3 percent grade. Let's not just have knee-jerk reactions to others who have some rights to the outdoors that differ from ours. ---The Old Fhart

Shadowman
01-13-2004, 14:08
Yes atv users try to access hiking areas , but we discourage any irresponsiblity and educate to not. Same as hiking and the leave no trace practice. What your not getting is the concept that I appreciate both activities. The Sierra Club does not condone my off-roading activity but would use a off-road vehicle for support of many things involved in their campaign.

I will ignore the many other factual distortions in your post. You may want to reread (or read) what Leave No Trace means. Even at low speeds the tire tread design alone violates this program every time you use an ATV.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2004, 14:16
Simply hiking with boots and Lekis leaves lots of trace.

Former Easy
01-13-2004, 19:12
I will ignore the many other factual distortions in your post. You may want to reread (or read) what Leave No Trace means. Even at low speeds the tire tread design alone violates this program every time you use an ATV.

I was using LNT as a reference of how groups educate their users.

For instance the ATV community educates its riders to be responsible and to to not use non-atv areas.

And the hiking community educates its hikers to be responsible and use LNT ethics.

Of course ATV use turns up soil just as gardening, hiking, football, golf, horesbackriding, etc.... Most outdoor activities do in one way or another. But there are special use areas for all these activities and if your resonsible you will contain your activitiy to that special area designed for your interest. A good co-exsistients of this would be the Bong Rec Area run by the Wisconsin DNR. In this park, hikers, horsbackriders, campers, fisherman, hunters, radio controlled flyers, dog trainers, all have there own separate special use area.

In the next five years most ATV's will all be 4-strokes so that is a step in the right direction, the problem that needs to be worked on now is sound levels, the sound of 4-strokes engines carry way farther than 2-stokes. I am a proponent for quieter machines on public lands myself because if anything the sound issues have a huge impact on the off-road community. The technology is there for quieter machines, but until riders are willing to give up a few horsepower to save our sport, we have a big problem.