PDA

View Full Version : Did you have fun at the SoRuck?

Ron Haven
01-20-2008, 01:38
Hope everyone did.Thanks to Sly and all who spent the time to promote it.I enjoyed seeing many of my friends there also.

Dances with Mice
01-20-2008, 12:33
Hope everyone did.Thanks to Sly and all who spent the time to promote it.I enjoyed seeing many of my friends there also.I certainly did, next year maybe I'll be able to do a thru-Ruck rather than just a section-Ruck like this year.

generoll
01-20-2008, 16:58
We could always let the air out of your tires.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 19:02
I certainly did, next year maybe I'll be able to do a thru-Ruck rather than just a section-Ruck like this year.You were missed - I considered biting you on the tires :D

This Ruck was different from any I've attended. Maybe it was the recent tragedy in our community... I just couldn't get into the RUCK spirit.

eArThworm
01-20-2008, 19:29
Two things:
1. Sly, you are ONE-der-ful!
2. I got enough hugs to last 'til the Gathering. :-)

Waterfall
01-20-2008, 19:32
I had a great time. It was good to see old friends and meet some new ones. Great job as always, Sly!

Kirby
01-20-2008, 19:37
Great job Sly! I was not there, but I imagine it was fantastic, and thanks for putting it on! I will most likely be going to college down south( Appalachian State University), so I will try to attend future ones.

Kirby

ed bell
01-20-2008, 19:50
Did it snow on Saturday? I hope so. Any photo's getting ready to be available?:sun

dixicritter
01-20-2008, 19:52
Well I have to say, I had a good time seeing all my dear friends and meeting new ones. I too want to thank Sly for a marvelous job.

Hikerhead
01-20-2008, 19:54
I had a great time too....thank goodness for cell phones, Superstar and Stumpknocker.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 20:01
Well I have to say, I had a good time seeing all my dear friends and meeting new ones. I too want to thank Sly for a marvelous job.I'm staying down the hall from Dixi next time if I can convince He-Dino to give it another try.

Jan LiteShoe
01-20-2008, 20:05
You pulled it off again, I don't know how you do it Sly. By the way, I loved Cabin B - my new favorite cabin.
Got home a couple hours ago. Good seeing old friends and meeting new ones, missing some others that couldn't make it. A little walking, a little snow, lots of cold this morning. The women's p.m. meeting just keeps getting more fun (maybe it was the wine). I ate too much. I'm ready to start figuring how to whittle away at the CDT.
Can you believe tomorrow is Monday?

StarLyte
01-20-2008, 21:04
ahh enough of the mushy crap already.

Tell me what was on the dinner buffet Saturday night :D

...and who ate.

Skidsteer
01-20-2008, 21:07
I certainly did, next year maybe I'll be able to do a thru-Ruck rather than just a section-Ruck like this year.

I wish you had stayed longer but at least you left the pork loin for breakfast this morning. All I can say is don't ever make us choose between your presence and your pork loin.

As an aside, Dances, I have your Fiskars pruners. Mother Nature and Smokestack found them near where your smoker was set up. Bless your heart. :p

Blissful
01-20-2008, 21:08
You all seem a little melancholy (which I can understand). Hope you did have a good time. Was thinking of you all.

Montego
01-20-2008, 21:10
I wish you had stayed longer but at least you left the pork loin for breakfast this morning. All I can say is don't ever make us choose between your presence and your pork loin.

As an aside, Dances, I have your Fiskars pruners. Mother Nature and Smokestack found them near where your smoker was set up. Bless your heart. :p

:-? pruners for the pork loin?

Dances with Mice
01-20-2008, 21:15
Bless your heart. I was amazed no one ever told LW the only proper response to that ... altho we all know exactly what it is.

And you can imagine I'm saying it now.

Thanks, Skids. Drop them off at Upper Hightower anytime, they've got the rest of the smoker.

Marta
01-20-2008, 21:18
I had a super time! A lot of folks were missing. Frightened off by Saturday's snow?

Thank you, Ron, for making the Saturday morning hike possible.

Thank you, Sly, for being the brains behind the whole enterprise.

Thank you, all you food providers. All the way home I was hoping my waistband was not going to stay this tight for long...

generoll
01-20-2008, 21:51
Many thanks to Sly for organizing the Soruck yet again and quietly handling the details necessary to put together something like this. I'm sure we all had our horizons expanded and enjoyed the opportunity for education and social interaction. The adventures in the culinary arts, group harmonizing, sleep deprivation and the consumption of various agricultural derivatives more then lived up to expectations.

Oh yeah, there was a hike too.

Once again, well done to Sly and it was good to be able to meet and put faces to names from WB and TJ.

Hooch
01-20-2008, 21:56
My first ruck, had a blast! You guys and gals rock! Huge thanks to Sly for pulling it all off and making it all come together! Big ol' thanks to Miss Janet for pulling my name at the raffle twice in a row :D and Ron Haven for making the day hike possible! And a huge thanks to all the great poeple I met, Skidsteer, Danes with Mice, Fishin' Fred and everyone else! :banana

Gaiter
01-20-2008, 22:13
I had a great time, it was just what i needed!
great job by sly!

Hooch
01-20-2008, 22:21
I will most likely be going to college down south( Appalachian State University), so I will try to attend future ones. Kirby, Boone is only about a 3 hour drive from weser, hope you can make it some time. My cousin and her hubby (Both ASU grads) would be proud. :D Depending what you want to study, Western Carolina University (http://www.wcu.edu/) is a good option also, as well at UNC-Asheville (http://www.unca.edu/). Thread hijacking complete. :D

Skidsteer
01-20-2008, 22:23
I had a great time, it was just what i needed!
great job by sly!

I second that!

Thanks Sly for all the work. I especially enjoyed Jim and Ginny Owen's presentation of the Great Divide Trail. Awesome, jaw dropping beauty.

longwe tru
01-20-2008, 22:26
The Southern Ruck was the perfect cure for my "Springer Fever". I had a great opportunity to "talk trail" to all the hikers, trail angels and ask a million questions. Thank you to everyone who organized, prepared and put it all together. I sure did appreciate the expierence. My pending plans for a long walk on an even longer trail, in the company and fellowship of all who travel there is getting closer and better every day.:sun

Thoughtful Owl
01-20-2008, 22:31
Ok, so I am impatient! Who is going to be first to post some pictures? Sgt. Rock?

Hooch
01-20-2008, 22:36
Ok, so I am impatient! Who is going to be first to post some pictures? Sgt. Rock?Not I. :( Before I left for Wesser, my camera decided it didn't want to play nice with others. The last time I used it was at the Hammock Forums Red River Gorge Hangout and it wasn't playing nice then, either. I thought the batteries were just cold. :(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 23:55
Ok, so I am impatient! Who is going to be first to post some pictures? Sgt. Rock?Just posted 10 or so in Get togethers - Whiteblaze gallery

Lilred
01-21-2008, 00:22
I had such a great time at my first Ruck!! And I won a calendar at the raffle, WOOHOOO!! Met so many people and ate way too much. Thanks again Sly, I know putting on an event like this is no small task. I even learned a new cooking method from Miss Janet ;). The hike was great even though I was the only one that had to ford a creek (ahem; shhhhh) My MLK weekends are now booked indefinately.

Smile
01-21-2008, 00:26
Hello All!
So cool to meet so many of you at the Ruck, it was a good time and well organized, thanks Sly for all you did!

Cabin B: The ladies had a great time, so many wonderful stories, truly an inspiration!

Did anybody see my big black roasting pan (electric)? I had it outside stacked on my coolers last night for easy packing this a.m., wasn't there. Hopefully somebody accidentally took it home, and can bring it next year! :)

I am currently on day four of The Ordinary Adventurer....thanks JL!

A special cyber hug goes out to those who helped in the Kitchen - the food was wonderful, diverse and well managed! What a great job, and plenty of food was on hand for all tastes and preferences.

For all those I met this weekend - you are all wonderful folks and I enjoyed the good company!

Ron Haven
01-21-2008, 00:48
I had a super time! A lot of folks were missing. Frightened off by Saturday's snow?

Thank you, Ron, for making the Saturday morning hike possible.

Thank you, Sly, for being the brains behind the whole enterprise.

Thank you, all you food providers. All the way home I was hoping my waistband was not going to stay this tight for long...Marta, all of you are surly welcome.I left before all got back.Did all their hikes go great?

Hooch
01-21-2008, 00:58
Marta, all of you are surly welcome.I left before all got back.Did all their hikes go great?Speaking for myself only, I had a wonderful hike. The view from the top of the firetower was priceless! After the group split into the blue blaze and white blaze groups, I hiked with Tenacious Tanasi with Duncan and GaDawg most of the way. With the snow, it was the most incredibly beautiful hike I'd been on in the short while I've been backpacking. Thanks again for the shuttle, Ron! You're a gem!

Chaco Taco
01-21-2008, 01:28
Glad to hear everyone had a great time. I thought about you all and was wishing that I was able to finally meet you guys. I did get out and hike some miles for Meredith on Saturday.

Doughnut
01-21-2008, 07:45
I had a great time! Thanks to everyone and a HUGE "Nice to finally meet everyone" to all.

I am afraid it was a life - altering event (Lone Wolf is no my HERO and IDOL> When I grow up, I want to be JUST LIKE HIM, (whenever he grows up!)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 07:56
I heard LW was hanging out with some young bitch - lurking the innocent babe with crumbs in his beard.:D

Doughnut
01-21-2008, 08:00
I heard LW was hanging out with some young bitch - lurking the innocent babe with crumbs in his beard.:D
that's just ONE reason why I worship the guy......

dough nut - Leader of the "Lone Wolf for President of the Hiker's World" campaign.

Smile
01-21-2008, 10:20
I heard LW was hanging out with some young bitch - lurking the innocent babe with crumbs in his beard.

This is true, I watched her eat one right out of there! She was very cute, had some new gear on, a little short, and definately did not shave her legs. :)

Dances with Mice
01-21-2008, 10:49
"What happens in Cabin C stays in Cabin C".

D'Artagnan
01-21-2008, 11:01
My 2nd SORUCK and certainly not my last. I had a great time and met a lot of folks who I'd been hoping to. A bit sleep-deprived this morning, but it was well worth it. I LOVED the raffle and was so happy to win one of the calendars Sly and Dixie came up with. A big "Thank You" to Mother Nature for the peppermint patty and to Weather Carrot for the PCT DVD. Both were greatly appreciated.

I have to agree with Marta, I, too, got back on the wagon this morning. :D

D'Artagnan
01-21-2008, 11:04
Oh, I forgot -- I got to meet EZ and learn a few things about Brooklyn. :D

Cabin C was definitely a highlight.

Hooch
01-21-2008, 11:06
I've heard waaayyyyy more about Cabin C than I wanted to know. Just might have to bite the bullet and stay there next year. :D

Thoughtful Owl
01-21-2008, 11:28
Just posted 10 or so in Get togethers - Whiteblaze gallery

Thanks FD for posting the pictures. For those of us that didn't get to attend, it allows us feel a l-i-t-t-l-e part of the ruck.

Ewker
01-21-2008, 11:49
I survived my first time of staying in Cabin C :eek: and looking forward to it next yr :D
I slept more last night than I did all weekend :p

I ate way to much food. We have some great cooks ou there. Luckily I didn't gained that much weight over the weekend

Great to see old friends and make new ones.

Sly, you did another good job of getting it together

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 12:22
Cuffs had the most damn fun of anybody! :eek:

Hooch
01-21-2008, 12:25
Cuffs had the most damn fun of anybody! :eek:Is this another one of those Cabin C things that I probably shouldn't ask about?

Ewker
01-21-2008, 12:29

Is this another one of those Cabin C things that I probably shouldn't ask about?

yep What happens in Cabin C stays in Cabin C

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 12:32

Is this another one of those Cabin C things that I probably shouldn't ask about?::: Dino seen checking security camera footage from Cabin C :::

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

D'Artagnan
01-21-2008, 12:50
She might have but I'm not sure she remembers it. :D

Hooch
01-21-2008, 12:54
***Note To Self: Stay in Cabin C next year.***

Marta
01-21-2008, 12:56

I should probably have given you my space there. I was soooo tired I just zonked out pronto both Friday and Saturday nights.

I told you I am a party pooper.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 12:58

nice place to visit but i wouldn't wanna live there. for a weekend.

Hooch
01-21-2008, 12:59
I should probably have given you my space there. I was soooo tired I just zonked out pronto both Friday and Saturday nights.

I told you I am a party pooper.Hardly. I had a blast at my first Ruck regardless of where I stayed. I met so many people that I can hardly remember them all by name and there were so many more I wanted to meet but didn't get a chance to. Guess I'll meet more next year! :D

Hooch
01-21-2008, 13:00
nice place to visit but i wouldn't wanna live there. for a weekend.Pretty sure I could survive it. I have a pretty high tolerance for sleep deprivation thanks to my years in the Marines and my nursing career. I'll just have to rest well in the days beforehand. :D

The Solemates
01-21-2008, 13:18
sorry we missed this year, but i had a great time out hiking this weekend!

Nean
01-21-2008, 13:22
I've never been to a SoRuck but I do know Sly puts a lot of effort into it.:) Maybe next year?:confused: I will be at the RoRuck this year if the pass is open.:sun

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 13:28
More SORUCK pics posted in my gallery. :D

wakapak
01-21-2008, 13:32
Sounds like it was fun!! Sorry to have missed it...would love to get to one sometime soon....i'm curious to meet the real people behind the names here!! :)

Hooch
01-21-2008, 13:37
More SORUCK pics posted in my gallery. :DThanks for sharing, Dixicritter! Say.....that's a pretty handsome guy you got a shot of there. :D

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 13:39
Thanks for sharing, Dixicritter! Say.....that's a pretty handsome guy you got a shot of there. :D

Ya know he really looks like he's having a great time too. ;)

Miss Janet
01-21-2008, 13:42
I had a wonderful time and I am exhausted! It will take me a day just to try to recall all the important parts of the hundreds of conversations! So, if I forget to call or email and I said I would... you might have to remind me. It was so nice to meet so many of you for the first time. And to see so many familiar faces! Food was great, slide shows and presentations were dangerous... well, they were, for someone who wants to SEE all those beautiful places!

Thanks to all of you that allowed me to share the the plans for the Erwin Hiking Center. I got some awesome ideas, some really good advice... and lots of much needed encouragement!

Skidsteer, I hope I can get a copy of those Cabin C pictures??

And I can't forget the HUGS!!!! The hugs were so good this year!!!

Hooch
01-21-2008, 13:43
Ya know he really looks like he's having a great time too. ;)Pretty sure he did.

Hooch
01-21-2008, 13:45
I had a wonderful time and I am exhausted! It will take me a day just to try to recall all the important parts of the hundreds of conversations! So, if I forget to call or email and I said I would... you might have to remind me. It was so nice to meet so many of you for the first time. And to see so many familiar faces! Food was great, slide shows and presentations were dangerous... well, they were, for someone who wants to SEE all those beautiful places!

Thanks to all of you that allowed me to share the the plans for the Erwin Hiking Center. I got some awesome ideas, some really good advice... and lots of much needed encouragement!

Miss Janet, it was great to finally meet you! You'll have to share that tomato gravy recipe some time if it isn't a family secret. :D

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 15:46
Hey L. Wolf... I still owe ya one for corruptin' my "Little one" ;)

Dances with Mice
01-21-2008, 16:03
Hey L. Wolf... I still owe ya one for corruptin' my "Little one" ;)What'd he do to Rock?

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 16:07
What'd he do to Rock?

Wrong one.... LOL Rock can take care of himself... most of the time anyway. ;)

He corrupted the "tiny one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21502&catid=member&imageuser=511)" I had with me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 16:15
I heard LW was hanging out with some young bitch - luring the innocent babe with crumbs in his beard.:D

He corrupted the "tiny one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21502&catid=member&imageuser=511)" I had with me.That's her, that's the young bitch. You should have them carrying on in the dining area. They were all over each other. Dixi had to pull her off 'cause LW couldn't handle so much lovin' :D

gungho
01-21-2008, 16:17
Oh, I forgot -- I got to meet EZ and learn a few things about Brooklyn. :D

Cabin C was definitely a highlight.
thats an understatement. It was definetly interesting experiencing life in "cabin c", but in enjoyed getting to meet all of you guys. Thanks Sly for pulling off a great Ruck and yes I too learned more about Brooklyn than I wanted to know(Just kidding EZ):)

Gaiter
01-21-2008, 16:17
my camera cable is mia, i'll get some pics up as soon as i can find it.

Roots
01-21-2008, 16:43
We got home a little while ago and are a little zombiefied.:D

AWESOME RUCK!!!! Definitely the great time we heard about and even more.

Thanks Sly for everything you did. It was very appreciated by us newbie ruckers.

It was awesome putting faces with names. You all were great and I couldn't have had a better time.

Thanks for the shuttle to Tellico and the great stories, Ron. YOU ROCK!!!

We're already planning on coming next year. I do have to say I'll never be able to go to NOC and look at Cabin C the same!!:D FUN!!

I'll have some pics up soon!! Thanks again everyone and great meeting you wonderfull folks!!!

PS-Miss Janet DOES rock!! Love the tomato gravy--yummm!!:)

Belew
01-21-2008, 17:02
thats an understatement. It was definetly interesting experiencing life in "cabin c"

Don't y'all remember? Nothing happened in cabin C. :D

Thanks for everything Sly.

generoll
01-21-2008, 17:24

I'll never look at a strawberry in quite the same way again.

Mother Nature
01-21-2008, 17:36
"Thank You" to Mother Nature for the peppermint patty
I have to agree with Marta, I, too, got back on the wagon this morning. :D

You are welcome, D! I can barely breath in my jeans! The food was WONDERFUL as usual. So great to see old faces and make new friends..especially the "two women" in my ladies only cabin. ;)

Roots
01-21-2008, 17:48
I just downloaded some pics!!:):D:banana:p:clap:dance

gungho
01-21-2008, 18:03
Ya think:D

Ewker
01-21-2008, 18:07
thanks to everyone for posting their pics. Hopefully I can get my downloaded tonight. Doubt there will be any captions under them.

gungho
01-21-2008, 18:37
Many thanks to Sly for organizing the Soruck yet again and quietly handling the details necessary to put together something like this. I'm sure we all had our horizons expanded and enjoyed the opportunity for education and social interaction. The adventures in the culinary arts, group harmonizing, sleep deprivation and the consumption of various agricultural derivatives more then lived up to expectations.

Oh yeah, there was a hike too.

Once again, well done to Sly and it was good to be able to meet and put faces to names from WB and TJ.

I couldn't of said it better myself.It was a very enlightening, and I am glad I was a part of it

Skidsteer
01-21-2008, 19:12

Has anyone actually checked to make sure she lived through it?

Is this another one of those Cabin C things that I probably shouldn't ask about?

yep What happens in Cabin C stays in Cabin C

You should see the photos I can't post 'cause, you know, what happens in Cabin C stays in Cabin C.

Sure. I'll e-mail them if you sign an immunity agreement. :D

Cuffs
01-21-2008, 20:12
Has anyone actually checked to make sure she lived through it?

She's alive, well, and home safe and sound. When I get settled and my voice recovers, I'll think of something good to say about the whole weekend!

Even funnier, I DO remember all of it!

Some of the best quotes from the weekend: NO SNIFFING! Nipple-itis, Why pay for it when you can get it for free from friends, he only had one testicle, there I was taking a **** on Macdill point.

tallfran
01-21-2008, 20:18
Just got home a few minutes ago from SoRuck. It was fabulous, thanks to Sly for all the work he did, the cooks for feeding us so well, all the friends for the hugs and smiles and conversation.

Loved all the DVD presentations. I wanna go see all those places!

Roots
01-21-2008, 21:08
She's alive, well, and home safe and sound. When I get settled and my voice recovers, I'll think of something good to say about the whole weekend!

Even funnier, I DO remember all of it!

Some of the best quotes from the weekend: NO SNIFFING! Nipple-itis, Why pay for it when you can get it for free from friends, he only had one testicle, there I was taking a **** on Macdill point.
LMAO...you're killing me:p:D:)

Skidsteer
01-21-2008, 21:21
LMAO...you're killing me:p:D:)

Roots, you and Gungho should try to make it to Ron's April Fool's bash.

You guys will fit right in. :D

Ron Haven
01-21-2008, 21:25
Hope everyone did.Thanks to Sly and all who spent the time to promote it.I enjoyed seeing many of my friends there also.I just uploaded a dozen pictures if you click on view my gallary.

StarLyte
01-21-2008, 21:35
Great photos Ron & Dino !!!

Great place to be...

Great folks to be with.

Couldn't make it this year, 1 week in between the Rucks is a killa.

Ron Haven
01-21-2008, 21:38
Great photos Ron & Dino !!!

Great place to be...

Great folks to be with.

Couldn't make it this year, 1 week in between the Rucks is a killa.thanks,I was looking for you there.

Spirit Walker
01-21-2008, 22:15
We just got home. I had a great time. Ate too much, as usual, but it was all good. Many thanks to Sly and the kitchen crews. It was fun to meet the many people I've read about online. Most fun was talking trail with folks who are heading out in the next few months. Wish we'd had more time. Best of luck to you all.
Ginny

PS I reall don't envy Stumpknocker and Tobasco, out in this cold cold weather.

Skidsteer
01-21-2008, 22:18
New photos just posted. :sun

Gaiter
01-21-2008, 22:20
just added some pics as well

Roots
01-21-2008, 22:54
Roots, you and Gungho should try to make it to Ron's April Fool's bash.

You guys will fit right in. :D

I wish we could but I'm starting my section hike on the 1st of April and wanted to stay home that weekend with our daughter. I hate to miss it. I have a feeling we'll all be getting together quite often this year:)

jlb2012
01-22-2008, 08:52
Hello All!
Did anybody see my big black roasting pan (electric)? I had it outside stacked on my coolers last night for easy packing this a.m., wasn't there.

I think I remember seeing this pan Sunday night on the counter top next to the outside door to the kitchen. Big black with a temp gauge built in to the lid - right? Unfortunately I can't remember if I saw it there or not Monday morning. Is it possible it was left in the kitchen - perhaps a call to NOC to check?

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 08:53
I think I remember seeing this pan Sunday night on the counter top next to the outside door to the kitchen. Big black with a temp gauge built in to the lid - right? Unfortunately I can't remember if I saw it there or not Monday morning. Is it possible it was left in the kitchen - perhaps a call to NOC to check?

yup. i saw it too sunday nite

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-22-2008, 09:01
Smile, I saw your roasting unit during Sunday Morning breakfast - inside the kitchen in the storage area underneath the counter where Rubberband Man was making that fantastic garlic blast hummus for the Friday evening meal. Call NOC 888-905-7238 or 828-488-2176

Smile
01-22-2008, 09:36
Thanks FD, LW and HOI :-)
I had it under that counter when not in use, but about 11 pm Sat I went over and packed up all my stuff and set it outside in a Vodka box ( it only fit half way but figured it would "mark it"), that's OK. I really don't need it here, just would be a good thing to have for next year's SoRuck! I'll call NOC today and see if they can find it, and I'll have a friend come over to pick it up if it's still there :)

Glad you guys like the hummus and I was amazed at all the Tofu grazers that wolfed down the chili - I feel like a real kitchen wench now! FD, that soup you made was wonderful!

The ladies in the kitchen really worked well together, and I didn't see anyone going away hungry :)

Cookerhiker
01-22-2008, 09:38
My first SoRuck - great!! Thanks Sly for organizing and for all of you who worked so hard.

I've got some photos too which I'll try to post this evening.

Ewker
01-22-2008, 09:41
I got my pictures upload to my computer but had problems after that..finally turned the thing off...I will try again tonight

Thoughtful Owl
01-22-2008, 11:32
Thanks to all who have posted pictures. Really helps those of us who couldn't attend feel apart. The only thing missing is the many warm and friendly conversations, the laughter, hugs and ?? from cabin C! LOL

Thanks again for posting.

TO

eArThworm
01-22-2008, 11:39
Gas, eleven hundred and sixty miles: 174 dollars.
Food and coffee on the road: 15 dollars.
SoRuck 2008: PRICELESS!

J5man
01-22-2008, 12:32
My first AT function- So RUCK!. What a great group of people. It was great finally meeting a lot of you I have seen and corresponded with here on WB. Thanks to Superstar and Stumpknocker for your hospitality! (HikerHead and I owe you one) Miss Janet, great to finally meet you!... by the way, your words before dinner Sat night before the meal and blessing were very eloquent. Lil Red, your pasta sauce rocks! Cuffs, gald to meet another bourbon drinker. Sgt Rock and DixieCritter, thanks for the insight and advice for my fiance. Sly, great event. Great food and a special thanks to whoever brought the macdaddy wheel of cheese! Looking forward to getting more miles under my belt and actually having a trail name by the next get together. I am moving to Roanoke, VA in a couple of weeks so maybe I will see some of you again at Trail Days.

Just Jack
01-22-2008, 14:10
Sometimes words seem trite--sometimes its hard to find the right word. As this was my first Ruck, the word that comes to mind is awesome. Sly--you really did an awesome job in organizing the Ruck. The food--how can so many people bring so many dishes and the final result is better than a five star restaurant. The programs--so informative and so inspirational. The people--this was the icing on the cake. It was grreat to connect with people that I already knew; but, it was also awesome to finally meet people thaat I knew through Whiteblaze. The friendship that I experienceed makes word lilke kindness, helpful. thoughtful and on and on seem inadequate. Even the weather cooperated. If you missed it this year, make plans to go next year. Even if you do as I did which was to stay in the background and soak it all up like a sponge--you will be the richer. The weekend went so well that it was obvious that this had to be a group of Republicans. It doesn't get any better!

eArThworm
01-22-2008, 22:26
Just posted mine to the Gallery. You can get there here: http://tinyurl.com/2een5p or here: http://tinyurl.com/22z5ea

SGT Rock
01-22-2008, 22:43
I had a good time. I got to meet lots of new people as well as see lots of friends. Stumpknocker and Caveman who are thru-hiking now clued me in on some other current thru-hikers I may be meeting out there.

Jeff Hunter now has me interested in new trails too.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-22-2008, 22:46
nice place to visit but i wouldn't wanna live there. for a weekend.

Bwahahahahahahaha

Lone Wolf, you nutbag, you did stay in Cabin C all weekend. We've the pictures to prove it. ;) hehe If you call heading out both mornings after 4 am NOT staying there...I'LL eat crumbs outta your beard. :p

Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 22:54
Bwahahahahahahaha

Lone Wolf, you nutbag, you did stay in Cabin C all weekend. We've the pictures to prove it. ;) hehe If you call heading out both mornings after 4 am NOT staying there...I'LL eat crumbs outta your beard. :p

i slept in cabin D friday and saturday nite. was just visiting C those nites. slept in C sunday nite. went to bed at 11 after the party broke up

Wonder
01-22-2008, 23:24
A fantastic time as always. We're one messed up family.....but we throw the best reunions.
Thanks for everything Sly!

Tenacious Tanasi
01-22-2008, 23:38
What an awesome Soruck this year!

Thanks to:
Sly for coordinating it all
Ladies & Gents of the kitchen
GADawg...hon, I've missed ya
Miss Janet, I love ya :)
TinMan, I've missed ya sumpin fierce! Tell Mrs. TinMan "Howdy!" for me.
Roots & Cuffs... we gotta go hiking together!
Wonder & friend: great music and singing, Ladies!
Lone Wolf, entertaining as usual. :)
EZ, awesome music to sing along to
Hooch you're a sweety! :)
Ewker, we'll have to get together again. I really enjoyed chatting with you.
Women Hikers are so awesome!!!
Marta, Blondie said to tell ya "Hey!"
Jim & Ginny Owens, you two simply amaze me. I wanna be just like you, Ginny!
Liteshoe, I can't put the book down!
Weather Carrot, another great DVD
Jeffrey Hunter, great to see you again. Keep up the good work!!!
Ron Haven, I love hearing your stories!

Pacer, thank you for letting me borrow Duncan. Even if every bit of his 15 lbs pulled me up and down (faceplants and all) every knob and holler hiking on Saturday. lol Love ya!

To everyone it was so nice to see you again or meet you for the first time. That's what is so amazing about these get togethers... the people. Other folks who get what I get about being out there.

Footslogger
01-22-2008, 23:44
I wasn't there ...but I figure Sly deserves a thanks anyway.

Thanks Sly !!

'Slogger

Gaiter
01-23-2008, 01:58
also i didn't post all pics i took, but if you think you might be in one of them and want it, let me know, you can decide for yourself if you want it posted anywhere or not, lol

Pennsylvania Rose
01-23-2008, 11:28
Sittin' at home feelin' sorry I didn't go. Looks like everyone had fun! Marked on the calendar for next year.

Ron Haven
01-23-2008, 19:04
Wrong one.... LOL Rock can take care of himself... most of the time anyway. ;)

He corrupted the "tiny one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21502&catid=member&imageuser=511)" I had with me.I think I'd still give $5 for that dog :-? ?

dixicritter
01-23-2008, 19:50
I think I'd still give $5 for that dog :-? ?

LOL... sorry Ron... still not enough. She's got my heart wrapped around her little paw, but don't tell her that. ;)

Sly
01-23-2008, 21:47
I've been traveling the past few days so i haven't had much time on the 'puter. Thanks for all the thanks. It's group thing and wouldn't be as successful without y'all, so I need to thank you.

Wonder
01-24-2008, 20:05
The lovely lady that I was singing with is GOrdy....a very talented musican, and a wonderful soul.

Hooch
01-24-2008, 20:09
Thanks to:
Sly for coordinating it all
Ladies & Gents of the kitchen
GADawg...hon, I've missed ya
Miss Janet, I love ya :)
TinMan, I've missed ya sumpin fierce! Tell Mrs. TinMan "Howdy!" for me.
Roots & Cuffs... we gotta go hiking together!
Wonder & friend: great music and singing, Ladies!
Lone Wolf, entertaining as usual. :)
EZ, awesome music to sing along to
Hooch you're a sweety! :)
Ewker, we'll have to get together again. I really enjoyed chatting with you.
Women Hikers are so awesome!!!
Marta, Blondie said to tell ya "Hey!"
Jim & Ginny Owens, you two simply amaze me. I wanna be just like you, Ginny!
Liteshoe, I can't put the book down!
Weather Carrot, another great DVD
Jeffrey Hunter, great to see you again. Keep up the good work!!!
Ron Haven, I love hearing your stories!

I bet you say that about all the Hooches. Wait, is that a word? It was great meeting you and everyone else at the Ruck! I hope to see y'all next year and meet plenty more great folks!

Ron Haven
01-25-2008, 00:44
I had about 4 people ask me at the ruck about booking certain rooms.It might not be a bad idea to call Sapphire Inn(828)524-4406---Budget Inn (828)524-4403

I have changed the staff this week.New Managers is Dale and JoAnn Jackson at Sapphire Inn,Most Remember Victor Chunn is now our Budget Inn manager.Dave will be one of our shuttlers this season.

gungho
01-27-2008, 18:17
The lovely lady that I was singing with is GOrdy....a very talented musican, and a wonderful soul.

Yes Wonder,she truely is a very talented musician. Roots and myself really enjoyed both of you sharing your wonderful talents. It was really nice meeting you abd hope yo see ya soon:)

Jan LiteShoe
01-27-2008, 20:05
Yes Wonder,she truely is a very talented musician. Roots and myself really enjoyed both of you sharing your wonderful talents. :)

Hey Wonder, did I miss the juggling?
:sun

MOWGLI
01-27-2008, 20:25
My apologies for the quick in & out for my program Saturday night. I had a meeting that morning in Tennessee that I could't miss, and headed to Florida to hike on the Florida Trail Sunday AM. It was great to see so many friends & familiar faces!

Tenacious Tanasi
01-27-2008, 20:48
Gordy has such an ethereal voice. I would love to hear more of her singing.

Trillium
01-27-2008, 20:55
I had SO much fun at the SoRuck, it exceeded my expectations which were pretty high to begin with.

Met a ton of wonderful people.
Ate a lot of very good food!
Hiked from Tesnatee Gap back to NOC on the White Blaze trail. WOW; did I enjoy this. It started snowing about half-way and it was just so incredibly beautiful.
Enjoyed the presentations and learned a lot. Many thanks to Hunter for bringing in his pack and going through every item in it and explaining the basics to this neophyte.
Was able to keep up to date on my beloved Spartans every so often during the commercials in the football game :D
Had fun at the Cabin B wine & cheese soiree.

Thanks to everyone without whose efforts the SoRuck would not have been as outstanding as it was!!!

Jan, I don't know if Wonder juggled but I saw Dances w/ Mice juggling fire sticks on Friday evening. Just WOW!:eek:

Lone Wolf
01-27-2008, 21:16
My apologies for the quick in & out for my program Saturday night. I had a meeting that morning in Tennessee that I could't miss, and headed to Florida to hike on the Florida Trail Sunday AM. It was great to see so many friends & familiar faces!

great program btw. that's my kinda trail. tell us about your FT hike

Marta
01-27-2008, 21:20
Ditto on the thanks for the presentation about the Fires Creek Rim Trail. My husband and I are thinking about trying it this spring, possibly Easter weekend.

Wonder
01-28-2008, 11:03
I only juggled for a bit on friday afternoon. I tried the fire sticks, but it didn't really work for me. Looks like I need to get some pratice in before Trail Days!

Bluegill
01-28-2008, 20:16
Sly just want to extend my thanks for all your efforts. I had a great time meeting up with old friends and making new friends. Smile that chili was great. Awesome presentations. Good food and company. Hope to see some of you at Trail days.

Blugill