PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 or MSR Hubba

Regulus
01-20-2008, 10:23
Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 ~ $140
MSR Hubba ~ $176

I'll make a footprint with Tyvek.

I'm on a budget but these seem to be pretty good quality tents at reasonable prices brand new.

I'd appreciate some input on which to choose or suggestions for others.
Thanks,

JERMM
01-20-2008, 10:41
there are several threads on the topic, do a search for additional info and comparisons

Both are excellent tents, I compared both side by side, and went with the SL-1, more interior room for my pack and boots. This is important to me, but many people are okay with leaving them under the vestibule.

If you can, set them up side by side and see which works best for you.

Painted Turtle
01-20-2008, 10:49
I got my Speed House about 4 years ago at REI. At the time there was a women in there looking at tents too. She set up the MSR and I set-up the Speed House. We spent about an hour going over them. She ended up with the MSR I ended up with the Speed House. I have used mine for 4 years now and no complaints except the weight. I am sure she liked her MSR. Both are very good tents. If there is a place where you can see both go there set them up side by side. As was said both good tents and there is a lot of reviews on here about them. It is going to boil down to personal reasons.

Painted Turtle
01-20-2008, 10:50
PS I see you are from CT drive up to MAss and visit REI they will let you set them up on the floor. That is where I was. Mass is probably closer to you them West Hartford.

burger
01-20-2008, 11:16
Forget free-standing tents. Buy yourself a Tarptent Squall (or any of the various clones out there). It'll give you almost twice the floor space of the tents you listed, and it only weighs 2 pounds, which is 50% less than either of those tents.

Jim Adams
01-20-2008, 11:27
Forget free-standing tents. Buy yourself a Tarptent Squall (or any of the various clones out there). It'll give you almost twice the floor space of the tents you listed, and it only weighs 2 pounds, which is 50% less than either of those tents.

...and spend most of your time keeping it erect and dry!

geek

margo
01-20-2008, 11:48
I just tried mine out last night and wondered how in the heck the SL1 people do it.

Those few more ounces got me a free standing tent, and more room to stay away from the walls, which is really a non-issue because in spite of the rain and cold, stay dry. My yard was really boggy, my boots sunk in the ground. The tub floor did a great job of keepiing everything dry.

I've never seen one but from the impressions I get I would get the rainbow before I would get either one of those solo tents. I mostly go where it is very buggy so the total mesh of the seedhouse (that I made a hole in!) will be great. It worked great in the cold and wet as well.

I found the weatherproofness awesome (on my one night test) and the door dripping a non issue.

Sleepy the Arab
01-20-2008, 20:52
Sooo....

...where're you finding that price for the Hubba?

River Runner
01-20-2008, 22:22
I like my Tarptent Double Rainbow. The optional liner gives the effect of a double wall tent at very low weight. With liner, poles, stakes & stuff sack it is still well under 3 lb. It can be used freestanding with trekking poles.

The single person Rainbow is a lighter option, but I don't think it has the liner option.

Regulus
01-20-2008, 23:31
Thanks for the input. I decided on the Hubba.

TheChamp
01-21-2008, 01:14
Sooo....

...where're you finding that price for the Hubba?

Since we neglected to answer you:

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/28083/

$169.97 Shipped

Terry7
01-21-2008, 09:21
Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 ~ $140
MSR Hubba ~ $176

I'll make a footprint with Tyvek.

I'm on a budget but these seem to be pretty good quality tents at reasonable prices brand new.

I'd appreciate some input on which to choose or suggestions for others.
Thanks,
Where are you getting a seedhouse 1 for $140.

Regulus
01-21-2008, 09:48
http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-Agnes-1-Person-Seedhouse-Tent-NEW_W0QQitemZ160199487561QQihZ006QQcategoryZ36118Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TheChamp
01-21-2008, 17:34
Or get the SL1 and save a pound of weight for $199 with free shipping at

http://www.moontrail.com/bigagnes-seedhouse-sl1.php

SlowLightTrek
01-21-2008, 18:08
Even better get this its only 13 oz. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48