PDA

View Full Version : I made a hole in my new tent!!!

margo
01-20-2008, 11:37
@!***!!%%!!one11

I got a new BA seedhouse sl2 and wanted so see how it handled the cold wet weather. We finally had some rain around here and it was as cold as it's going to get this year so I pitched it in my yard and tested my bag and pads and stuff.

The tent worked great!!! Even when the pitch slacked a little after hours in the rain the mesh was still inches from the fly. Complete dryness. I also got the footprint and my yard was boggy from the rain, you could see some water between the floor and the tent bottom but nothing soaked thorough!

It is frequently mentioned with this tent, the dificulty of getting in and out without drops getting in the door, because it slopes. Yes this is an issue but nothing a bandana or pack towel cannot dab up. Actually if I unzipped the fly and folded it away from the door drops did not fall in the tent (unless it was raining of course). I see this as a non-issue.

I got the SL2 model because for the few extra oz's you get a better pole, and more room. I don't see how two people could do it. Yes there is room for 2 mummy bag clad hikers to like wedged in the tent, like mummies, or more specifically, like seeds, but if you have to move at all you thrash around and need the rest of the room. At least I did. That's how the burn happened. It was so fast, the hot object just brushed against the mesh and went though it like a lazer. A actually got sick when it happened. :(

It's about a nickle sized hole, I have some spare mesh in my tent repair kit, at least it didn't hit the fly. It makes me look like I backpack more than I actually do. :mad:

A also found that there is a lot of air movement in the tent, no matter what. I was fine in my NF catwalk bag with just light capalene. The ventilation was amazing! I found it better to put my head at the foot of the tent. That way when I sit up my feet are always at the door, where my boots are outside of. I can see how people like the arc of tarp tents like the rainbow.

So now I have to repair the mesh. It worked great though. Don't know how the BA sl1 people do it. I would just go for a rainbow.

mudhead
01-20-2008, 11:45
If you don't hold them farts, flame won't shoot out your ear.

Be glad you only got the netting, you might have lit up the fly. Should be semi-easy to repair.

This is why I never smoke in my tent.

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 11:48
@!***!!%%!!one11
...I also got the footprint and my yard was boggy from the rain, you could see some water between the floor and the tent bottom but nothing soaked thorough!

...At least I did. That's how the burn happened. It was so fast, the hot object just brushed against the mesh and went though it like a lazer. A actually got sick when it happened. :(

It's about a nickle sized hole, I have some spare mesh in my tent repair kit, at least it didn't hit the fly. It makes me look like I backpack more than I actually do. :mad:
The footprint did not prevent water intrusion, your flood did. That's why I don't use footprints anymore; inevitably water will get between the pad and floor.

I feel for you, it's one thing to get a hole after years, at least one year anyway, but before your first real use, tough. BTW what was the "hot object"?

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 12:10
...This is why I never smoke in my tent.
If this was the cause, then I recommend this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_tobacco) to prevent further problems.

margo
01-20-2008, 12:18
Usually smoking in the tent is not an issue. Every now and then though . . . .

mudhead
01-20-2008, 12:22
I have done it in the past. Way past. All that matters is the lesson learned, and that you were not injured. Now that you've ruined that tent, want to sell it? (Humor.)

maxNcathy
01-20-2008, 12:57
I have done it in the past. Way past. All that matters is the lesson learned, and that you were not injured. Now that you've ruined that tent, want to sell it? (Humor.)

This is a great tent. I would like one to go with my SL1.

Montego
01-20-2008, 19:28
Naw, just tell 'em on the trail it was a BIG bullet hole :D

orangebug
01-20-2008, 19:36
Wouldn't work.

No exit hole.

However, this was a nice demonstration of how quickly things can go bad when you mix heat and the ballistic materials of our gear.

Rain Man
01-20-2008, 19:44
"The hot object"?

What hot object?

Rain:sunMan

Montego
01-20-2008, 19:46
Wouldn't work.

No exit hole.

However, this was a nice demonstration of how quickly things can go bad when you mix heat and the ballistic materials of our gear.

But...........that was the exit hole, and man, 'ya should have seen that there bear run :D