PDA

View Full Version : Rab Quantum Top Bag for Thru-hike?

Matt Pincham
12-29-2003, 05:34
Rab Quantum Top Bag (http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/product.asp?product_sku=MRABZ)

What do you guys think of this bag? There's not much info on this UK website but I've had a look in the shop and this bag is amazingly light. It's rated down to -5C (23F). My girlfriend and I are thinking of getting one each for our thru-hike (starting March(ish) 2004) but just thought I'd get your opinions first. It packs down to an absolutely tiny size when compressed but is small even when just in its stuff sack. I know some people are fearful of down but I'm sure I'll be able to keep it dry. I've already purchased a heavy Synthetic bag but I'm not going to take this with me now.

P.S. I think Simva the Medicine Man has posted about a similar Rab bag but I don't think it's the same one.

Matt

12-29-2003, 10:45
My wife and I both have the RABB bag. There a few things to keep in mind.

1) Do you toss and turn at night?
-if so the on cold nights you will have a hard time keeping heat inside the bag, because there is no bottom.

2) How big a person are you?
-I am 6' and weight about 200 lbs and the bag is a little tight across the shoulders. It is perfect when I can sleep with my arms out of the bag. For my wife she does not have this problem. (she about half my size)

3) How long is your sleeping pad?
- we both have 3/4 pads and I think you need a full. But like most things on the trail it is always a trade off: weight vs. comfort.

I love my RABB bag. I have had it out as cold as 12 degrees. It was a "cool" night but I was abel to sleep fairly well.

When looking at the bag and it's weight also think because of it's size you may beable to go to a smaller pack. I did which saved even more weight.

Matt Pincham
12-29-2003, 11:49
:mad:
Grrrrrrr.
I just wrote a whole reply and then it didn't post because the page didn't display.

Anyway...

Thanks PROFILE.
The Rab seems good for me.

1) I don't fidget much.
2) My girlfriend and I are a couple of inches off 6' so we should be ok. I'm also only a little fella :p
3) I have a full length sleeping mat and I'll make sure my girlfriend gets one too.

I have an Osprey Aether 60 which will be perfect for me and my kit. Hooray.

Thanks again
Matt

Jeff
12-29-2003, 15:49
Michael Connick who has a great Ultralight website http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/index.html uses the Rab 0 degree celsius bag. He will always reply to your emails.

Almanac
12-30-2003, 09:07
Hey Matt

One thing that Profile (that's my hubby) didn't mention was that this bag doesn't have a zipper...at least the ones we have. We ordered our bags from a company in the UK since we couldn't find them in the US anywhere, and I never thought about checking to see if it had a zipper. It isn't really a problem, but it's a little "harder" getting in and out...especially in the middle of the night!

We also purchased silk liners to use with these bags...mainly for the extra warmth, but it also keeps you from laying directly on your sleeping pad. Not to mention that it keeps your bag a little cleaner after days without bathing!

Alamanac '00

c.coyle
12-30-2003, 10:31
Rab Quantum Top Bag (http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/product.asp?product_sku=MRABZ)

What do you guys think of this bag? There's not much info on this UK website but I've had a look in the shop and this bag is amazingly light.

It's not clear to me from the website. Is this bag similar to the Big Agnes bags, no insulation on the bottom, just a sleeve to insert a pad?