PDA

View Full Version : Someone to talk to

smyers
01-20-2008, 16:07
I am looking for someone to talk to about long distance hiking. I live in Philipsburg Pa (central Pa). I want to make the leap to long distance hiking. Could use some encouragement. Thinking about going to Pine Grove Furnace Ruck next weekend. Little nervous!

Kirby
01-20-2008, 16:10
Go to the Ruck, the hiking community is a welcoming group. I went to an event in fall where I knew exactly 0 people, and they were quite nice and answered all the questions I had. I hear the Ruck is a perfect place to get information. Check out the thread in the "Get togethers", section of the site.

Kirby

Nean
01-20-2008, 16:12
I am looking for someone to talk to about long distance hiking. I live in Philipsburg Pa (central Pa). I want to make the leap to long distance hiking. Could use some encouragement. Thinking about going to Pine Grove Furnace Ruck next weekend. Little nervous!

Go to the Ruck!! You'll meet lots (too many :D;))of folks to talk to. Most of us got into LDH feeling the same way. Do it! you will never regret it!!:):)

wilconow
01-20-2008, 16:54
Isn't Philipsburg right near the Alleghany Front Trail? You have a nice (but not very scenic) loop to test a lot out..

jessicacomp
01-20-2008, 17:27
I was thinking about going to this as well. I live in Pa, so I'm not that far from it. Maybe I will see you there!

A-Train
01-20-2008, 17:47
I would highly recommend going to the RUCK. I attended one in Jan 03' a month before I started my thru-hike and it was highly informational and put me at ease.

I hope to be there next weekend.

ScottP
01-20-2008, 19:30
PMed both of you--I love talking about hiking, if either of you want me to field any questions of yours. There's certainly people with more expertise than me out there, but I have a decent idea of what's going on.

smyers
01-20-2008, 19:56
Yes, I am about 15 miles from the AFT. I have day hiked most of it. It does have some scenic vistas. Maybe I should long distance this 60 mile loop first.

wrightsphoto
01-20-2008, 20:31
I don't know anybody on here but I will be at my first "Trail Days" this year!
I am so looking forward to that!