PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble could you cause. . .

dessertrat
01-20-2008, 16:23
With a rectangular stencil, a can of white spray paint, and a can of brown (for covering those pesky other white blazes, which are obviously wrong).:eek:

JAK
01-20-2008, 16:30
How about a can of peas, a shovel, and some matches?

When they come to eat the can of peas, kick them in the ash hole.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2008, 17:02
With a rectangular stencil, a can of white spray paint, and a can of brown (for covering those pesky other white blazes, which are obviously wrong).:eek:

You could get arrested, and could be in big trouble depending upon where your blazes led people, such as to the edge of a cliff...:eek:

Now if they led to a suitable pub with free cold libations, I suppose that would be okay.:cool:

JAK
01-20-2008, 17:23
How about some sort of infinite loop pattern like a fishing weir. :-?

shelterbuilder
01-20-2008, 17:57

That's how, in our younger days, some of us moved the Pa. section of the AT onto all of those Pa. rocks. It used to run up the medial strip of I-81.:eek:

RITBlake
01-20-2008, 18:30

Someone already pulled this prank in TN north of the Kincora hostel, that trail winds and loops at nauseum

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 19:06
With a rectangular stencil, a can of white spray paint, and a can of brown (for covering those pesky other white blazes, which are obviously wrong).:eek:Want some real fun - use blue paint instead of brown......

Kirby
01-20-2008, 19:09
Want some real fun - use blue paint instead of brown......

That'll make the purists loose it:eek:.

Kirby

Bob S
01-20-2008, 19:24
Wouldn’t it be illegal to do this? And if so why this was thread not deleted, after all it’s illegal…

Kirby
01-20-2008, 19:28
Wouldn’t it be illegal to do this? And if so why this was thread not deleted, after all it’s illegal…

Well...this is the humor section, and I believe the thread starter was referring to other trails other than the LT and AT that may have white blazes that should not, really this would be a community service.

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-20-2008, 19:35
It is in the humor section so I assume it is a 'wouldn't it be fun if...' instead of 'hey, let's get a bucket of paint...". Maybe we should just paint the moderators black & blue... it would explain why so many quit this site.

Bob S
01-20-2008, 19:36
Well...this is the humor section, and I believe the thread starter was referring to other trails other than the LT and AT that may have white blazes that should not, really this would be a community service.

Kirby

So if it’s illegal and you laugh while you talk about said illegal action it’s OK??? And not deleted here.

Talk about committing a crime and laugh, not deleted.
Talk about committing a crime and not laugh and get deleted.

I’m just trying to understand the rules here???

GGS2
01-20-2008, 20:13

Ok, now I know for sure you're a maritimer. I haven't ever heard anybody mention a fishing weir on an internet bb before. My family were bluenosers a long time ago. I spent some time at UNB Fredericton.

dixicritter
01-20-2008, 20:22
So if it’s illegal and you laugh while you talk about said illegal action it’s OK??? And not deleted here.

Do you not know what a humor forum is all about? Lighten up dude.

Jim Adams
01-21-2008, 12:22
Want some real fun - use blue paint instead of brown......

....or pink?:banana

geek

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 15:03

It's also illegal to moon the cog, or to stealth camp.

Bob, lighten up. I was hoping to get good suggestions on where you would lead people if you could do so. I guess nobody has any idea in what fashion they would like to reroute the trail. . .

Jaybird62
01-21-2008, 15:07
Closer to my home:-? :):sun:banana

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 15:12
Closer to my home:-? :):sun:banana

Jaybird, the Pats is going to . . . never mind.

If I could, I would reroute the trail to go through New York City, just for variety. Can you imagine the Central Park lean to?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 15:14
Jaybird, the Pats is going to . . . never mind.

If I could, I would reroute the trail to go through New York City, just for variety. Can you imagine the Central Park lean to?The mice would be the least of your worries... just sayin'

Marta
01-21-2008, 15:31
There are some places where this seems to have already been done.

Just north of Daleville, about two out of every three blazes had been painted over with brown. ('06) I assume either someone decided that there were too many white blazes, or there was some sort of temporary relo once upon a time.

There are some alternate routes in the Mahoosic Notch that had me going. One seemed to loop back on itself. I did it at least three times before deciding I'd better find another exit. That was fun.

And there were others.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 15:44
II guess nobody has any idea in what fashion they would like to reroute the trail. . .The last time I suggested re-routing the trail it wasn't well received http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/smiliely-bellylaugh.gif

warraghiyagey
01-21-2008, 15:48
The last time I suggested re-routing the trail it wasn't well received http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/smiliely-bellylaugh.gif
I remember that! It's not like you suggested the wind chill factor was an appropriate indicator or anything. Yikes!:p:)

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 15:49
The last time I suggested re-routing the trail it wasn't well received http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Smileys/smiliely-bellylaugh.gif

Oh I dunno, I thought ya made a big splash :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 15:52
Oh I dunno, I thought ya made a big splash :DAs I recall it was more like someone emptied the privy contents into a wind farm - scat flew everywhere.

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 15:54
As I recall it was more like someone emptied the privy contents into a wind farm - scat flew everywhere.

Well I didn't say a splash of what exactly. ;) :D

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 15:55
The northern terminus should be a mountain outside of Baxter park. Whitecap Mtn. I'll start work on the blazing and signage soon.

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 15:59
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/forum/stirthepot.gif

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 16:00
The northern terminus should be a mountain outside of Baxter park. Whitecap Mtn. I'll start work on the blazing and signage soon.::: Dino seen planning to help LW with this endeavor - as long as he's not wearing tights and bunny ears :D :::

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 16:01
The northern terminus should be a mountain outside of Baxter park. Whitecap Mtn. I'll start work on the blazing and signage soon.

Is it because of the rules at Baxter?

I just saw an old letter by Percival Baxter, when he refused to turn it into a National Park, saying he wanted it left undeveloped and as wild as when the Indians roamed there, and a place where people could roam and camp just as freely as the Indians and the animals once had. He wanted it to be *used* as much as possible, and in an unregulated fashion, he just didn't want it turned into a campground such as the National Park Service would have done to it.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 16:03
it's heavily regulated and has campgrounds

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 16:05
it's heavily regulated and has campgrounds

Exactly. So much for what old Percy thought.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2008, 16:14
I always kind of wondered why the original AT plan didn't just connect the two highest peaks in the east, Mt Mitchell and Mt Washington(apologies to ME and GA).

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 16:39
There was serious discussion of having it end at Mt Washington in the north. Myron Avery was a Maine native, loved Katahdin, and wouldn't hear of it.

I think it just happened to work out that they could take it to Mt. Oglethorpe in Georgia, and did so. Then when they lost Oglethorpe, it became Springer. I think Mt. Mitchell was considered, but the logistics just weren't right, and they couldn't get access overland to it.

NativePennsylvanian
01-21-2008, 16:58

Apparently if you walk the party line, if you donate or are "known" it's ok.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2008, 16:59
It would still be a heck of a hike! :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2008, 17:03
Apparently if you walk the party line, if you donate or are "known" it's ok.

It's a sarcastic thread in the "Humor" section. Why so sensitive?

Jaybird62
01-21-2008, 17:12
:-?I hear you buzzard IMO if you don't like it here, well "there is the door, don't let it hit you on your way out.";)

Kirby
01-21-2008, 17:14
Southern terminus:
Not Springer

Northern Terminus:
Whitecap
Bigelow's

Kirby

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 17:37
Southern terminus:
Not Springer

Northern Terminus:
Whitecap
Bigelow's

Kirby

I could go for Whitecap as a terminus, but skipping the Barren-Chairback and Whitecap would be unfortunate, I think.

Honestly, I like Katahdin as an end. I understand L.Wolf's problems with it, but it is the mountain on the entire trail with the most "shoulder", I am told, and shouldn't be left out.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 17:38
what's that mean?

Tin Man
01-21-2008, 17:44
Southern terminus:
Not Springer

Northern Terminus:
Whitecap
Bigelow's

Kirby

Where is "Not Springer"? ;)

dessertrat
01-21-2008, 17:46
what's that mean?

Apparently it is the mountain with the tallest rise. From bottom to top on the AT, you have to climb the most of any of the mountains on the AT, is what I'm told.

Edit: Prominence is the word I was looking for and couldn't think of.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 17:48
Southern terminus:
Not Springer

Northern Terminus:
Whitecap
Bigelow's

Kirby

why not springer? it's in national forest and very FEW regulations

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 17:53
I'm not sure why being the biggest climb on the trail would matter as far as including it or not. Having Baxter included seems to take something away from the experience for some like LW. I can understand this as I feel the same about the GSMNP. Perhaps the Great Eastern trail will allow for these differences by providing multiple corridors.

Kirby
01-21-2008, 18:01
why not springer? it's in national forest and very FEW regulations

It's not very prominent, I'm looking for prominence, and I've heard Springer is underwhelming.

Kirby

Kirby
01-21-2008, 18:01
Where is "Not Springer"? ;)

Just south or Springer in wise ass national forest.:D

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-21-2008, 18:04
It's not very prominent, I'm looking for prominence, and I've heard Springer is underwhelming.

Kirby

ain't nothing prominent or overwhelming if it's in clouds/fog or if you're blind. mountains are mountains and there's plenty of them on the AT

Tin Man
01-21-2008, 18:18
Just south or Springer in wise ass national forest.:D

Kirby

Nice. :)

Kirby, don't worry about moving the termini, just hike them and everything in between. I have no doubts you will complete your thru. Hats off to you.

ed bell
01-21-2008, 18:43

KirbyWait till you visit, then judge it. Don't worry, it'll be plenty prominent plenty of times. Might make you say "Not another climb to prominence!":D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 18:46
::: Dino looks into white blazing an entirely flat trail between two prominences. Think anyone will notice? :D :::

Kirby
01-21-2008, 18:52
::: Dino looks into white blazing an entirely flat trail between two prominences. Think anyone will notice? :D :::

I believe they already have that, they call it I-95.:D

Kirby

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 18:56
I believe they already have that, they call it I-95.:DMy dear adopted grandson, I must teach you your colors. That trail is yellow blazed :D

dixicritter
01-21-2008, 19:01
HEY... quit hijacking this thread with all this seriousness dadgumit! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/signs083.gif This is the humor forum afterall.:p:D

Kirby
01-21-2008, 19:01
My dear adopted grandson, I must teach you your colors. That trail is yellow blazed :D

Yes, but if you look to the right, every now and then there is a pole with a white triangle on it (the pole is 2-3 feet off the ground usually), so if you walked it, it would work:D.

It covers white blazing and yellow blazing, and the signs are blue, so there's blue blazing, no one could complain.

Ducking....
Kirby

The Old Fhart
01-21-2008, 19:26
Lone Wolf-"why not springer? it's in national forest and very FEW regulations"Well, you gotta add Connecticut to the list of banned states and scenic places with those pesky rules. According to my 2004 Thru-Hiker's Handbook:
Notice! Camping in Connecticut is permitted only at designated sites, and no fires are permitted anywhere. Ridgerunners patrol during summer months and most spring and fall weekends.

By the time the malcontents 'X' out all the places with rules they can't stand, their new trail will be as long as the current trail is wide! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 19:33
Yes, but if you look to the right, every now and then there is a pole with a white triangle on it (the pole is 2-3 feet off the ground usually), so if you walked it, it would work:D.

It covers white blazing and yellow blazing, and the signs are blue, so there's blue blazing, no one could complain.You know, this kid is going to go places....
::: Dino seen writing the Dept of Transportation about designating all emergency lanes on I-95 as federally protected trail land :::

Tin Man
01-21-2008, 19:36
Well, you gotta add Connecticut to the list of banned states and scenic places with those pesky rules. According to my 2004 Thru-Hiker's Handbook:

By the time the malcontents 'X' out all the places with rules they can't stand, their new trail will be as long as the current trail is wide! :D

NJ too - no fires for you! :mad:

The Old Fhart
01-21-2008, 19:47
Tin Man-"NJ too - no fires for you!:mad:"Now that burns me up!;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-21-2008, 19:58
Now that burns me up!;)I have a smiley for you......http://ecritters.biz/images/smilies/fire.gif

WalkingStick75
01-21-2008, 20:53
Happened to me in VT a few years back. I picked up ice cream at the road it almost melted on me by the time I finally arrived at the shelter, I was not laughing. :)

Montego
01-21-2008, 21:53

It covers white blazing and yellow blazing, and the signs are blue, so there's blue blazing, no one could complain.

Ducking....
Kirby

Oh, don't forget RED BLAZING (out here you'd be known as road kill) :D

Rockhound
01-30-2008, 20:34

yes i think you're starting to understand now. But wait! you're not laughing! someone alert the authorities!:D

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 20:40
yes i think you're starting to understand now. But wait! you're not laughing! someone alert the authorities!:D
Ha ha ha - that's a good one.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/cool10.gif

dessertrat
01-30-2008, 21:25
Ha ha ha - that's a good one.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/cool10.gif

What is that, the Jack Tarlin smiley? Knock it off. We all quit.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 22:45

What is that, the Jack Tarlin smiley? Knock it off. We all quit.
No, it was supposed to be a guy smoking illegal substance but it was ok cuz I laughed.
Havin a little fun (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/taunt003.gif) with Bob S.

warraghiyagey
01-30-2008, 22:47
Oh, and i haven't quit smoking yet, Djarum Black - clove cigarettes. Some type of sweetener on the filter. Never smoked til two years ago and started. . . that's right, on the trail - Thank you very much Dawn Treader.:mad::p

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2008, 23:50
Someone already pulled this prank in TN north of the Kincora hostel, that trail winds and loops at nauseum
Are you talking about the meadows up behind Kincora? Its easy when going Nobo, but when walking SOBO. Its like what the hell...

I was dumb first time walking up to the ridge line. I didn't turn right after the old barn to go into the hollow. I ended up going into another meadow then into someone's back yard. I ran out before running into one of Bob's bad neighbors, slipped and twisted my ankle.

I actually need to ask Bob to blaze that better or put up a directional post at the tree.

Wise Old Owl
02-18-2008, 00:17

Bob you are starting to get the hang of channeling the force!!! Now if you could just drink a little more powdered Gatorade while typing, you reach out and choke someone....oh I mean touch someone. Welcome to the strange Humor Section.

weary
02-18-2008, 00:47
I laugh at a lot of posts, just not at many in the humor forum. The funniest threads on White Blaze are the posts by the gun enthusiasts I have to remember to put down my coffee cup when I read them.

Weary

dessertrat
02-18-2008, 00:51
I laugh at a lot of posts, just not at many in the humor forum. The funniest threads on White Blaze are the posts by the gun enthusiasts I have to remember to put down my coffee cup when I read them.

Weary

Just can't leave the politics alone, can you?:p

How's this for funny?