PDA

View Full Version : New Year hike Roan Mt.

fixintostay
12-29-2003, 07:12
We are planning a hike starting at or near the Nolichucky River and walking to US19e Roan Mt,Tenn.We are going to shuttle and are worried about parking at rt. 19. Any other suggestions would help.

oyvay
12-29-2003, 13:26
We are planning a hike starting at or near the Nolichucky River and walking to US19e Roan Mt,Tenn.We are going to shuttle and are worried about parking at rt. 19. Any other suggestions would help.

Try Miss Janet in Erwin, TN for safe parking and reasonable rates for shuttles to the Nolichucky and pickup at the other end. Her number is in the ALDHA companion, hard to find a nicer person on the trail.

Bankrobber
12-29-2003, 21:12
It is possible that you will encounter very deep snow, enough that you should use snowshoes. The weather is quite unpredictable up in the Roans, and you should be prepared for heavy winter conditions.

Moon Monster
12-30-2003, 00:23
Roan High Knob can have snow even when the other two summits of Roan do not, so yes, you may have serious snow up there. I've been through 12-18" on the Humps (just north of Roan and several hundred feet lower) and postholled OK. Snowshoes probably aren't neccessary this week (I last heard snow pack above 6000' in the Smokies was only about 12" and there has been a lot of mild weather lately)
But, a 0º sleeping bag may be wise within the next week if the mild spell breaks by the time your crossing the Roans.

19E is definitely an iffy place to park. The gap between the Roan summits is safe, but it would be hard to get to if it's icy then. I agree Miss Janet is a good choice to check about shuttling your car or picking you up. Bob Peoples at Kincora is closer to 19E as is Sutton Brown and the Braemar in Hampton, TN.

geoffrey morris
02-15-2004, 05:16
:welcome Hi fixentostay,I have safer parking near the AT where the trail crosses US19E. About one quarter of a mile up bear branch rd at Bill Oaks rd.This is the first actual road off Bear branch(left going upward).There is a small white and black roofed house facing Bear branch this is NOT us,please dot not disturbe this guy,he works nights.We live out of sight up Bill Oaks rd.Please contact us before parking here.

Bear branch rd connects to US19E at the trail head of the Roan\Hump (to the south) and the Dennis cove (to the north) sections. Since our farm borders the trail lands we have private access to the trail and this is where hikers may park.For details contact Geoffrey Morris at [email protected] or call @(423)772-3425.Sorry I didn't see you here before your new years hike.Give me a call if you like,

Geoffrey Morris

MedicineMan
02-15-2004, 07:52
Geoffrey, just a hello to an AT neighbor. I live on Ripshin Lake...left at the WhiteWay Grill and up 3 miles..the closest AT to me is Little Rock Knob 2.5 miles South....glad to see you offering an alternative to 19E parking!