PDA

View Full Version : Walking to Amicalola/Springer

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 17:37
I'm so cheap that I'm thinking of walking to Amicalola from Dahlonega, Ga. after being dropped off by Amtrak/Greyhound. I did a mapquest search and see it's only ~20 miles. Anyone ever did this or know of trail(s) that may lead to Amicalola/Springer?

Lion King
01-20-2008, 17:46
I'm so cheap that I'm thinking of walking to Amicalola from Dahlonega, Ga. after being dropped off by Amtrak/Greyhound. I did a mapquest search and see it's only ~20 miles. Anyone ever did this or know of trail(s) that may lead to Amicalola/Springer?

Yup.

I left that dingy Greyhound station and before I even got five miles I had two offers on rides, one after the McDonalds and one when I was about 6 miles from the Park.

dont know about any trails there though...

Dances with Mice
01-20-2008, 18:14
There are no trails.

Hitching probably isn't too hard. There's a lot of trafic on all the roads between Gainesville & Amicalola.

Burnt Boots
01-20-2008, 18:41
Good thing you don't mind walking. :) Last April, I tried for over an hour to hitch from Dahlonega to the Hiker Hostel, and had no luck. I was very clean, and "respectable-looking", I didn't look like a bum or anything either.

Finally, I walked back to the Walmart and found a public transit bus that cheerfully drove me right to the Saint's door for $7.

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 18:54
I was just checking with AMTRAK and for me to get to Gainsville, Ga from Jacksonville, Fl, I must go from Jacksonville to D.C., then D.C. to Gainsville. I called to ask why and it's because they don't have a track system to go directly from Jax to Gainsville (tha't at least a 24 hours transit). Guess I'll be taking Greyhound. I hope they have roads to Gainsville:eek:

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2008, 18:56
I just thought of something - what about the International AT, doesn't it start in Key West, hell I'll just pick it up from here in Jax.